The official BMORG statement on 2012 tickets and theme:

Fertility 2.0 - Black Rock City is a kind of Petri dish. Theme camps cling in fertile clusters to its latticework of streets, artworks tumble out of it, like pollen on the air. These nodes of interaction mutate, grow and reproduce their kind. Burning Man communities have now escaped this capsule world: our culture in a Petri dish has effloresced - it spreads across five continents. This year's art theme contemplates the tendency of any being or living system to create abundant life.

Re: The official BMORG statement on 2012 tickets and theme:

Postby Simon of the Playa » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:28 am

i speak their long lost language...

Belgique.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby VultureChow » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:41 am

SlimPickens wrote:
burner von braun wrote:Frankly, regarding tickets, I'm glad to hear that they are taking the time to think it through, and would be more concerned had they not.

I'm a Burner from across the great pond (Belgium, if anyone can find it on the map) and have always had friends buy the tickets in SF, but this year I'm wondering if there's a way to buy them online in Europe.
And please, please, bring back Moonshine Saloon, camp cowboys and -girls rock!

Bring waffles.

My first trip abroad was to Belgium when I was 16. (Mom wanted to go on a trip. I wanted France, but she won't go to the same place twice. She's out of places. Well almost; they're on a flight this afternoon to Myanmar)

Street waffles are possibly the greatest food I've ever tasted, though I had several very fine meals there. Caramelized chunks of pearl sugar... I dreamt about them for years and then a waffle truck opened in New York. Spectacular. Maybe not quite as good as Brussels, but wonderful nonetheless. If you order one plain (the only way you should), they automatically know you've either been to Belgium or are Belgian.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby BetaBox » Sat Oct 29, 2011 11:04 am

fffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu............

anxious
See you in 2014
BetaBox

Postby Lassen Forge » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:45 pm

VultureChow wrote:
SlimPickens wrote:I'm a Burner from across the great pond (Belgium, if anyone can find it on the map) and have always had friends buy the tickets in SF, but this year I'm wondering if there's a way to buy them online in Europe.
And please, please, bring back Moonshine Saloon, camp cowboys and -girls rock!

Bring waffles.

My first trip abroad was to Belgium when I was 16. (Mom wanted to go on a trip. I wanted France, but she won't go to the same place twice. She's out of places. Well almost; they're on a flight this afternoon to Myanmar)

I've met people from there - they said they were trying to cut out earlier, but it was a close shave...

I love to travel, but I also love to go to familiar places. Unless I were a gifted linguist, or was in a hurry to spend a ton of money living off the tourist economy, I would be hard pressed to do that... Part of the reason I like Europe is I can fake enough language to survive darn near anywhere over there.

I have a friend who was like that - she left a month ago on an extended tourist thing - of Kenya. Beautiful country, too bad it's so f'n dangerous! But naiveity has its virtues - turn a blind eye, and if you are lucky enough to survive you can say "See, it's not so dangerous"...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby Kontradiction » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:35 pm

Waffles and caramelized sugar. Hmm. Waffles and caramelized bacon. Bacon jam with caramel chunks. Bacon in waffle batter. Bacon waffles with caramel-bacon sauce.

Yeah buddy, thank g_d I can cook well.

Find me, eat well. :P
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:45 pm

Bay Bridge Sue wrote:
I've met people from there - they said they were trying to cut out earlier, but it was a close shave...

I love to travel, but I also love to go to familiar places. Unless I were a gifted linguist, or was in a hurry to spend a ton of money living off the tourist economy, I would be hard pressed to do that... Part of the reason I like Europe is I can fake enough language to survive darn near anywhere over there.

I have a friend who was like that - she left a month ago on an extended tourist thing - of Kenya. Beautiful country, too bad it's so f'n dangerous! But naiveity has its virtues - turn a blind eye, and if you are lucky enough to survive you can say "See, it's not so dangerous"...

ah, but, you are cunning...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby jcliff » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:23 pm

Simon of the Playa:

I don't want to judge you without knowing you, but I felt the need to speak to you directly (in public) about your Jim Jones shit. Your post about the Kool-aid stand seems to be a over and done with, but your profile pic is still with us. I'm sure that you realize that your profile pic is disturbing to a lot of Burners, and maybe that's why you post it. My suggestion is...if you hate Burners, or Burners with reasonable sensabilities, don't be one. If you hate people in general....withdraw all together. If you're a freak..be a freak.....but don't upset people while you work out whatever it is you need to.

Jim Jones killed 900+ people, over 300 of them children. He had babies in their mothers' arms injected with cyanide. He ordered the shootings and killings of people who came down to help. He sexually molested children in public gatherings. He beat children in public to punish their parents for lapses in loyalty. Is this what you publicly subscribe to?

In all of your postings I've only seen one person who has said that this is offensive. It is offensive. Enough. I got a stern warning from a Mod when I accidentally posted a harmless post out of area, and yet we can let a post fly which makes light of a murderer and child molester? You've got to be kidding me? Would a profile pic of Hitler fly on eplaya? Hitler killed 40 million, Jim Jones only killed 900. Apparently that's below the threshold of acceptable use of eplaya.
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby BBadger » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:50 pm

jcliff wrote:In all of your postings I've only seen one person who has said that this is offensive. It is offensive. Enough. I got a stern warning from a Mod when I accidentally posted a harmless post out of area, and yet we can let a post fly which makes light of a murderer and child molester? You've got to be kidding me? Would a profile pic of Hitler fly on eplaya? Hitler killed 40 million, Jim Jones only killed 900. Apparently that's below the threshold of acceptable use of eplaya.

Does my avatar offend you too?
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:52 pm

hey now

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:49 am

jcliff
I don't know if I'm the person who said boo to simon about this or not, as I have said it, but not in a while. In fact, I don't know that I've said it to simon, I've just said it when people say "don't drink the cool-aid." I don't like "beating a dead horse" either, as I think both these idioms trivialize others' suffering.
And sometimes, I just don't have it in me to fight that fight, because I know I didn't say it this time round. I know Simon knows how I feel and I chose not to remind him. Sometimes I hate being that prissy woman who doesn't understand men's fun and wants them all to take their feet off the furniture. So maybe I'm afraid of trivializing my own voice...

So thanks for saying that. It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

(As for the free speach arguments: yes, I know you can say whatever you like, so long as it doesn't cause certain kinds of harm. Proving yourself to be a callous idiot is always permissible.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby thisisthatwhichis » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:53 am

jcliff wrote:Simon of the Playa:

Awww Jeez...... Nothing is sacred on Eplaya. Nor is the radical self expression on Playa. Most think what we do for a week in the desert is way over the top of acceptable social behavior...........

The fluffy bunny march scars me every year....... or was that the clowns?
TITWI

To be on the wire is life. The rest is waiting.
It's show time, folks.....Joe Gideon
thisisthatwhichis

Postby Kontradiction » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:09 pm

:roll:
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:16 pm

There's a difference between fluffy bunnies and clowns?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby unjonharley » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:22 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:There's a difference between fluffy bunnies and clowns?

I know there is a difference between fluffer bunnies and clowns..
unjonharley

Postby Kimo » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:24 pm

MisaBlue wrote:Sometimes I have the feeling that the BMORG is seen as lazy evil which just dig money out of people going to BM.
I just wonder how is it possible it is so easy for people to bark about those things and write angry emails. I wonder as well, how many people actually make/made the effort to write them "thank you". Well, I heard it was the best year this year...did actually anybody thanked the BMORG that they worked their asses off to prepare the conditions for BM participants? hmmmm :D

I appreciate the BMORG's efforts and I thanked them by giving them a gift of $350.00, as did most everyone else who bought a ticket. I think the volunteers that go out and work their asses off for no compensation whatsoever deserve the most thanks. They build the infrastructure for us to all enjoy and they don't ask for a dime. And then there's the Moop patrol that spends two weeks cleaning up after us each year. Again, receiving zero compensation. These are the people that need to be thanked.

My thanks to all the volunteers that make this event possible for all others to enjoy!
Kimo

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:18 pm

dear jcliff or whoever you are.

sorry you dont like my ART

my avatar stays.

my theme camp will exist, and will serve the goddamn motherfucking Kool-Aid whether or not you are offended.

have a nice day, now leave me alone, you bother me, i am offended by your being offended.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby trilobyte » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:29 pm

jcliff wrote:I got a stern warning from a Mod when I accidentally posted a harmless post out of area...

No, you didn't. You got a courtesy note from me letting you know I'd moved a thread you'd started to the appropriate forum.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Canoe » Tue Nov 01, 2011 4:51 pm

jcliff wrote:...Would a profile pic of Hitler fly on eplaya? Hitler killed 40 million, Jim Jones only killed 900. Apparently that's below the threshold of acceptable use of eplaya.

Wait until somebody sees a certain "Barbie" theme camp.
*** http://www.burningman.com/preparation/ ***
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
“Dear subscriber, you are registered as a participant in a mass disturbance.”
Canoe

Postby tamarakay » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:04 pm

Canoe wrote:
jcliff wrote:...Would a profile pic of Hitler fly on eplaya? Hitler killed 40 million, Jim Jones only killed 900. Apparently that's below the threshold of acceptable use of eplaya.

Wait until somebody sees a certain "Barbie" theme camp.

That's exactly what i thought too lol
Man, many many many posts on this board are going to tick him off.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Canoe » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:14 pm

tamarakay wrote:That's exactly what i thought too lol
Man, many many many posts on this board are going to tick him off.

And for eplaya threads, Most-Likely-To?
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=52175
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.
Canoe

Postby bigdane » Tue Nov 01, 2011 6:54 pm

I'm one of those people that really would like to have a ticket it my hand and not have to go to will call....2012 will be my first year...virgin n00b freshman! Can someone please tell me ...when the tickerts become available... how do I accomplish this. I mean do I mail $$ to a po box, or is it an online thing?

There something about a real ticket in my hand vs a confirmation number....

" i just wanna lose my virginity to the playa more than I wanna do the hokey pokey!"
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
bigdane

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby tamarakay » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:01 pm

Hiya dane, online sales and paper ticket in hand if you want. Really really pretty tickets too
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby Sham » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:04 pm

Tickets have traditionally gone on sale in mid January, but this year, who the hell knows.

Here is a blurb from a past year about the ticket process. Things will most likely be the same this year, but at very least you can get an idea.
1. PayPal orders

When ordering through PayPal we accept all major credit cards (Amex, Discover, Visa and Mastercard). You will also have the option of paying without needing to setup a PayPal account. Although we are offering PayPal as a payment method option at the start of ticket sales it is subject to change. If any problems arise with PayPal it may be discontinued without notice. If the option to pay via PayPal does not appear at check out then it is no longer available and you will need to pay by ACH or credit card.
DO NOT GO THROUGH THE PAYPAL SITE TO ATTEMPT TO PURCHASE YOUR TICKETS. YOUR ORDER MUST GO THROUGH THE BURNING MAN WEBSITE.
If you do not have a PayPal account, set one up WELL BEFORE tickets go on sale. Go here to read about PayPal and set up an account: http://www.paypal.com.

2. Credit card orders
When ordering with a credit card we accept Visa and Mastercard only. No different from other online credit card purchases - you will need the credit card number and expiration date, with the three digit Verification Code on the back, as well as the matching billing address.
Ticket Delivery for Online Orders

Orders outside of the U.S. and Canada are held at Will Call.
Secure Delivery (USPS First Class Signature Confirmation) in the U.S. cost: $12.00
Secure Delivery (Global Priority) to Canada cost: $29.00
Canadian Post cost: $12.00
Online orders are no longer sent via regular mail.
Will Call (held at the Box Office at the front gate of event, requires valid photo ID for pickup) Cost $12.00
Sham

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:06 pm

jcliff wrote:Would a profile pic of Hitler fly on eplaya?

There's a very well known person who has dressed as "Burner Hitler" to MC a stage at the official SF Decompression & he's worn it on-playa. I don't see why a photo of Hitler would be any different. There's also a certain Soviet based theme camp around these parts- are you going to tell them to stop doing their theme because Stalin killed 15 million (+/-) of his own people? I know I'm not giving up my commie outfit, and it has no theme-connection to my camp.

Personally, me and the group I was with found Georgie Boy offensive- and worse, not funny. Did we complain or ask for it's removal? No, we went to look at other art. Other people loved it, and that's fine- I work for a playa paper & some people love the snarkiness we produce, others hate it. If you hate it, don't read it.

If you are offended by Simon's avatar, feel free to let him know. However, don't expect him (or anyone) to change their behavior because it offends you; if we all lived so no-one got offended no-one would actually live. If you can't stand SImon's avatar, feel free to "plonk" him (or "foe" him: here's how), that way you won't have to see it or his next one again (you also won't see his posts).
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:19 pm

bigdane wrote:I'm one of those people that really would like to have a ticket it my hand and not have to go to will call....2012 will be my first year...virgin n00b freshman! Can someone please tell me ...when the tickerts become available... how do I accomplish this. I mean do I mail $$ to a po box, or is it an online thing?

" i just wanna lose my virginity to the playa more than I wanna do the hokey pokey!"

Don't worry, you will be able to do both.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby BBadger » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:48 pm

I do have to thank jcliff for informing me of who Simon's avatar is. Now I can appreciate it more.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Savannah » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:08 pm

bigdane wrote:I'm one of those people that really would like to have a ticket it my hand and not have to go to will call....2012 will be my first year...virgin n00b freshman! Can someone please tell me ...when the tickerts become available... how do I accomplish this. I mean do I mail $$ to a po box, or is it an online thing?

Ticket info will be here in (apparently) mid-November 2012:
http://tickets.burningman.com/

bigdane, I also highly recommend Burning Man's email newsletter, Jack Rabbit Speaks.
http://www.burningman.com/blackrockcity ... lists.html

It says "weekly", but they send a newsletter usually just 1-2 times a month, tops. As it gets closer to the event they might email weekly sometimes. Anyway, it's very handy. (People who read the newsletter were more aware of the high likelihood of the July ticket sellout.)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Canoe » Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:11 pm

BBadger wrote:I do have to thank jcliff for informing me of who Simon's avatar is. Now I can appreciate it more.

Perhaps you're just trying to put a generous spin on it because his has more hair than yours...
Just saying.
Canoe

Postby 48_love » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:44 pm

now if placement puts teh koolaid stand up in kidsville i might expect some sternitude and finger wagging, lol
48_love

Burning Since: 2013

Postby bud buddah » Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:11 pm

Funny, when folks talk about "drink the cool-aid", I always think of electric cool aid. Guess I 'm too much of an old hippy. Shhhhh, don't tell Simon, hippies offend him :-)
Bud
bud buddah

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Theme