Sunday Exodus - Car crash outside Gerlach? (2011)

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Sunday Exodus - Car crash outside Gerlach? (2011)

Postby Theres Always One » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:25 pm

Leaving the event on Sunday night, I noticed a blue trash bag that appeared to be filled lying in the middle of the road in the lane of traffic going the opposite direction. It was dark, I didn't see it until the last second, and it wasn't until it was too late that I thought I should have stopped and picked it up. But with 100's of cars behind me, I thought, that would be difficult if not impossible to do. About 10 minutes later, two cars came by heading in the opposite direction heading right for the trash bag. 20 minutes later, a highway patrol car went by with sirens going heading towards the scene. 15 minutes after that, a firetruck and ambulance both screamed by heading in that direction. Given the conditions and the circumstances, my imagination assumes the worst. This was around 8-9 pm on Sunday. Does anyone know anything?
Theres Always One

Re: Sunday Exodus - Car crash outside Gerlach? (2011)

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:28 pm

NHP or the county might know more than the random internet fuckos.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Theres Always One » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:31 pm

Good idea. Queue the snark.
Theres Always One

Postby moonrise » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:29 pm

I know anything, as I recall, he/she is an interesting, awesome person! (you asked) :lol:

Honestly, I doubt you could've pulled onto the soft shoulder to pick up the bag of who knows what! (even with a 4x4)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Freesponge » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:01 am

Hopefully nobody was hurt. I was very happy to see law enforcement handing out tickets during exodus this year.
Noodles
Freesponge

Postby Dr Helix » Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:34 am

Theres Always One wrote:Leaving the event on Sunday night, I noticed a blue trash bag that appeared to be filled lying in the middle of the road in the lane of traffic going the opposite direction. It was dark, I didn't see it until the last second, and it wasn't until it was too late that I thought I should have stopped and picked it up. But with 100's of cars behind me, I thought, that would be difficult if not impossible to do. About 10 minutes later, two cars came by heading in the opposite direction heading right for the trash bag. 20 minutes later, a highway patrol car went by with sirens going heading towards the scene. 15 minutes after that, a firetruck and ambulance both screamed by heading in that direction. Given the conditions and the circumstances, my imagination assumes the worst. This was around 8-9 pm on Sunday. Does anyone know anything?

Don't beat yourself up over something like this. Who knows what the consequnces would have been if you pulled over? Probably doubtful that you're set up to do a safe retrieval of the bag. That's how people get hit. The blame goes to the idiot who didn't secure his load. I drove out Tuesday and it was a minefield of trash and trailers everywhere. And one other bitch. Stop buying those useless little trailers with tiny wheels. At best they're only good for light loads around town. I think I counted about 6 of them before I got to the Interstate, and almost invariabally they were overloaded and had a blown tire.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Return to Experiences at Burning Man