Burn Preparation Costs

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Burn Preparation Costs

Postby motskyroonmatick » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:54 pm

jkisha wrote:I think you can do BM cheaper the younger you are; with age comes the expectation of their being creature comforts...even on a camping trip; and being comfortable doesn't come cheap.

The best thing I have ever done for comfort and ease of camping at the burn was getting a travel trailer. One of the more inexpensive things too thank goodness. Worlds of difference from the good comfort of the box truck. Very nice to not have to set up a kitchen, shower and bed. I'm hoping my expenditures trend lower for 2012 as I'm at 5 grand a year average if we just call it 40k. :oops:
Stag Camp 8, 2014. Black Rock City Welding and Repair.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-
motskyroonmatick

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: StagCamp+B.R.C. Welding&Repair.

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:40 pm

I was talking to one of my friends who said he wants to do the burn this year. He said no way is her doing a tent So he wants to get a tow behind trailer for the Tahoe. I was like wtf just do a damn tent you pussy. He is like hell now but I will set up a tent for you out back. lol Thanks Asshat. So yeah if he goes looks like most likely I will be doing a trailer. Hey im not complaining about that one. Just have to prob pay more in gas :( Although I am wondering if I can offset it by just taking more people. We are coming from Iowa.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:48 pm

Drawingablank wrote:Well the box truck is figured in to the plans but the current plan atm is to bring a much larger camp - huge shade structure(s), sofas, stove, barbecue, bunch of coolers, tables, chairs, sound system, big art, bikes, etc... More than can be economically shipped.

Yeah see right there is where the line is drawn. There are ways of making things portable and bag check-able though. Getting a military parachute for your shade structure and lashing it to rebar and the truck, etc. It's definitely a trade off but as with anything, it's all the amount of time and $$ you want to spend on the whole process.

My own thought process is that I would rather save the thousands of dollars and extra 10 days of stress driving either direction and just go minimal and find my shade/fun elsewhere besides my own camp. It's not like there is any shortage of it out there. For my chill times at my own domicile, there is always the couch in the back which does get lounged on..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:33 am

tattoogoddess wrote:I was talking to one of my friends who said he wants to do the burn this year. He said no way is her doing a tent So he wants to get a tow behind trailer for the Tahoe. I was like wtf just do a damn tent you pussy. He is like hell now but I will set up a tent for you out back. lol Thanks Asshat. So yeah if he goes looks like most likely I will be doing a trailer. Hey im not complaining about that one. Just have to prob pay more in gas :( Although I am wondering if I can offset it by just taking more people. We are coming from Iowa.

More people = more stress, more clean up, and more drama. Possibly. Be careful what you wish for.

Our tent is remarkably comfy and dust free, we have a terrific shade structure.

But I am leaning toward hiring a private porto, that is luxury!
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby unjonharley » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:57 am

AntiM wrote:

Already have gotten a 4ft sq. shower tent to put next to the shade..
That will give me a shower stall and a Lug a Lu station..

Lug a Lu is a toilet lid/seat, a Homer bucket and Wag Bags, The add another 5gal bucket w/lid for carry out.. Wag Bags are accepted in our home garbage.

Will cut a plywood size floor. (ground wind factor} and a water heater drip pan for a shower catch.. About 20lb folded down.. cost stall $30, Wag Bags $15, bucket $4, seat $6, ply wood $5 and pan $15.. Already have (for years) the seat, bucket, wag bags and scrape ply wood. So $45 improvements . Oh! some 12 inch sand (tent) stakes.
unjonharley

Postby jkisha » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:23 am

We're thinking about gifting tickets to two able bodies to do setup and tear down. (Plus a stipend paid at the end of the burn as a bit of insurance.)
AntiM wrote:
tattoogoddess wrote:I was talking to one of my friends who said he wants to do the burn this year. He said no way is her doing a tent So he wants to get a tow behind trailer for the Tahoe. I was like wtf just do a damn tent you pussy. He is like hell now but I will set up a tent for you out back. lol Thanks Asshat. So yeah if he goes looks like most likely I will be doing a trailer. Hey im not complaining about that one. Just have to prob pay more in gas :( Although I am wondering if I can offset it by just taking more people. We are coming from Iowa.

More people = more stress, more clean up, and more drama. Possibly. Be careful what you wish for.

JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:29 am

Mmmm.. the smell of indentured servitude in the morning always gets my blood moving..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:55 am

I have a lugaloo in camp, but it is strictly for emergencies.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Sail Man » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:21 am

Hmmmm, gas from SE Michigan towing the camper and our tickets easily ran about 2700.00 though I haven't brought myself to tallying up all the receipts. Other expenses include hotels out and back (yes we have a camper we could sleep in, no we did not, yes it is crammed full of shit :D ), meals out and back, tickets to Lehman Caves in Great Basin Natl Mon., Harley Davidson shirt for my bud watching out gecko, yadda yadda yadda.....

Probably at least 4g's. Just don't tell my wife, she wants to go somewhere else next summer and that will just bolster her argument :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:49 am

This is a bit off topic (I gave my cost a few days ago) and I may have mentioned it elsewhere, but the way I look at buying the ticket, you're not forking out say $300 for a party. Rather, you're forking out $1 for 300 parties. Sort of depends on how you look at it I guess.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Savannah » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:04 pm

When you put it that way, Burning is downright responsible.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby tattoogoddess » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:07 pm

AntiM wrote:

No im talking strickly for ride purposes. I am in a camp this year and if all goes to plan have to see about him joining to. So I would not be cleining up after the people that ride with.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby Nipple » Mon Oct 24, 2011 12:09 pm

Savannah wrote:When you put it that way, Burning is downright responsible.

I mean... you're on a budget! It would be stupid not to!
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby illy dilly » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:24 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:This is a bit off topic (I gave my cost a few days ago) and I may have mentioned it elsewhere, but the way I look at buying the ticket, you're not forking out say $300 for a party. Rather, you're forking out $1 for 300 parties. Sort of depends on how you look at it I guess.

I've never thought of it like that!

I always figured I'm paying 43 dollars a night for a camping spot.
I've camped at KOA's for 30/night for a tent spot.

We typically each spend 1000k... in August/September + Plus about 280 for a ticket in January. I don't count the non perishable costume, camping, and fun stuff through out the year- those are investments.

2011, we all threw a lot more money at getting our theme camp up and running. I'm not sure how much in total. At least 2k I believe. We all threw every penny we had at it, so I'm not sure exactly what the final costs of everything were. Now we have the dome, the grass, a lot of gnomes, the sound system, the generator, and lots of fun stuff. We wont have to spend as much on all that again next year.

We're going to need to get a year round storage unit. That is going to get expensive!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:57 pm

illy dilly wrote:We typically each spend 1000k... in August/September + Plus about 280 for a ticket in January. I don't count the non perishable costume, camping, and fun stuff through out the year- those are investments.

That's a million dollars. Each. Hey, for a mere ten k you could set me up real nice...

mathematician's daughter, and according to that traducer, Pizzamancer, persnickety.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby burner von braun » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:18 pm

That fishy, ...with eyes on both sides of her head... ya can't get much past her!
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby bigdane » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:34 pm

...big sigh...thank god I read this...I was freakin more than a bit as I was adding up my potential costs for my FIRST burn/2012...and I'm thinking wtf!!! I'm closing in on an est gift to myself..(I'm giving myself this adventure for a b-day present to ...me..woot!!!) of about 2K and I thought I was a fuckin nut case...only to find out I am in grand company! Thanks!!! Seriously I didn't think it was crazy as I had to by some equip, and a bike, oh and gas :o ...cuz I wanted to drive the first time ( (from FL panhandle) just to crank up some tunes and enjoy...I'm crazy like that about road trips...not for everyone I know.
Anywho feeling a bit better...not saner...knowing that my est aren't outaline.
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
bigdane

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby burner von braun » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:56 pm

Yeah bigdane, I thoroughly enjoyed my crosscountry trip last year. For me, it made a great adventure even better, if that is possible. At 2k, you're doing fine from that distance!

Oh, .. and welcome to eplaya!
Another early attempt at success
burner von braun

Burning Since: 2010

Postby trilobyte » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:00 pm

I think that's one of the reasons to encourage first timers to take things easy in that first year. The costs are considerable, add up fast, and seem to come at you from every direction at times.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby JayBobBoy » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:10 pm

This thread is fascinating...

My only previous Burn in 2010 was a minimal trip as I slept in the bed of my truck under a camper shell. Better than a soft sided tent, but not ideal in the heat. I did meet some wonderful peopIe in my search for shade, though! I spent roughly $800 including the ticket. I am 500 miles roundtrip.

For my return in 2012, I anticipate spending about $4K. Most of that will be a travel trailer that I am fixing up myself, and will keep for the future.

I had the most amazing time my first time around!!!! I will be better prepared this time around...no doubt about it.
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:04 pm

bigdane wrote: cuz I wanted to drive the first time ( (from FL panhandle) just to crank up some tunes and enjoy...I'm crazy like that about road trips...not for everyone I know.

I like the occasional road trip myself and the ride out to Nevada was interesting and pleasant. I have to say that the ride home was barely endurable though. It's depressing enough just to leave the playa and head back to defaultia, but 5 days in the car after a week on the playa just left me so mentally drained I was like a zombie the whole return trip.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby bigdane » Tue Oct 25, 2011 4:46 am

Drawingablank wrote:
bigdane wrote: cuz I wanted to drive the first time ( (from FL panhandle) just to crank up some tunes and enjoy...I'm crazy like that about road trips...not for everyone I know.

I like the occasional road trip myself and the ride out to Nevada was interesting and pleasant. I have to say that the ride home was barely endurable though. It's depressing enough just to leave the playa and head back to defaultia, but 5 days in the car after a week on the playa just left me so mentally drained I was like a zombie the whole return trip.

I thought about that...and keep thinking about it, someone suggested making sure the first night on the return roadtrip making sure I stay in a hotel with a real bed and shower... I wish I could predict where my heart will be so that at least I could plan music for the return...of course if I had those powers I'd be buying a lottery ticket today... 8)
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
bigdane

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby MyDearFriend » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:19 pm

bigdane wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:I like the occasional road trip myself and the ride out to Nevada was interesting and pleasant. I have to say that the ride home was barely endurable though. It's depressing enough just to leave the playa and head back to defaultia, but 5 days in the car after a week on the playa just left me so mentally drained I was like a zombie the whole return trip.

I thought about that...and keep thinking about it, someone suggested making sure the first night on the return roadtrip making sure I stay in a hotel with a real bed and shower... I wish I could predict where my heart will be so that at least I could plan music for the return...of course if I had those powers I'd be buying a lottery ticket today... 8)

So, you should plan not only a night in Reno but also an opportunity to put your return-trip music together, whatever it may be. 8)

Seriously, if you find your sweet spot on the playa then leaving brings a real and heavy grief. Be nice to yourself. You don't have to spend a ton of money doing it, just be mindful of what you need and plan some thoughtful little treats for yourself, as if you were your own best friend.

Another thing that really helped me on the way back was taking a time-out to sort and repack my gear, after my second stop, and to mail some stuff... a little hand-decorated tin I had filled with playa dust, with a note, to each of my sons. That really opened me up, and made me feel a lot better.

Of course, I also left on the Tuesday after the Burn. Nobody ever dies wishing they had spent more time at work...
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby VultureChow » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:52 am

Self imposed budget for my first burn is $3000, and that's a lot of start up costs with some padding built in, and I'm going solo.

Shelter: $500 including aluminet shade covering for kodiak canvas tent. I've always been a backpacker; A huge canvas tent will feel like a hotel compared to that.
Flight: $500, plenty of wiggle room here to work with. Flights are $400 right now.
Reno Hotel: $125 Fly in Saturday, stay over a a suite hotel so I can freeze things.
Car Rental: $500, again, major wiggle room
Ticket: $300

Leaving me with over $1000 for food, booze, misc supplies.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
VultureChow

Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Postby Sail Man » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:57 am

trilobyte wrote:I think that's one of the reasons to encourage first timers to take things easy in that first year. The costs are considerable, add up fast, and seem to come at you from every direction at times.

You ain't kidding. Every year I find more shit I wanna buy. You'd think by now all I need are tix and gas $ but nooooo...... :lol:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:46 am

Vulture Chow, you can knock about at least 50% off of your Reno hotel cost. Your community saviors at Barbie Death Village will be running with our friends at the Sands Regency our Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro hotel special the week before, of, and after Burning Man. Last year it ran from $35 during the week to $65 on weekends. Two queens in each room, ice macines on every floor, free use of the jacuzzi, steam room and sauna (17th Floor, West Tower). Now members of our modest little camp get priority, but we took down an entire floor for burners in 2011 and I think I can safely say everybody had a good time. So when you plan, keep your fellow burners in mind.

Oh, and you're welcome.
Dr. Pyro

Postby lucky420 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:05 am

I heard the Sands had to quarantine that floor after you guys left. :shock:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Dr. Pyro » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:28 pm

No doubt. But considering how much burners lost in the casino, the Sands was able to upgrade to actual polyester (15% rayon) sheets and insurance covered it. The Sands was estatic. They figure if they could rent the entire place out to filthy drug-infested dust-laden burners 24/7, before you know it they could rival the Silver Legacy in comfort and class.
Dr. Pyro

Postby deutlich » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:40 pm

I am so, so fucking glad for regional events and these type of threads. It's impossible to truly wrap my head around it all and y'all continuously help me reign it back in.

::thinks more strategic financing will be the utmost important thing in gettin' my ass to TTITD::
| Liebe alles | 2012 Burgin |
Avi: http://archann.deviantart.com/
deutlich

Postby mgb327 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:45 pm

Hey...figured I would chime in here. I live in Va., so the round trip was 6,000 miles. About $1,700.00 in gas, as my Suburban gets about 17-18 per. Took a shade "cover", and stayed in the Sub., very comfy and cool. I drove alone, both ways. Wonderful trip, but was terribly sad/depressed for the 3 day drive home. I had plenty of good tunes, (Fatboy Slim), and put back on the 3 pounds I lost riding my bike on the playa by eating all the way home. Overall cost was somewhere near $3,500, should be less this year, as I have all my non-food supplies from last year. If it had cost $20,000, it would have still been worth it. I read eplaya very carefully before I went last year, and took many suggestions. I spent my first night on the way home in a small, inexpensive motel for a shower and bed. I am counting the days til I can return. I think trying to "guess" ones' mental state on the return trip would be near impossible, as there is no way I could have guessed MY state "after" would have been totally impossible. I am a changed person, and in ways I never expected. I am so grateful to all you fellow Burners for this gift.
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks