Make your art Skate-able

Building art? Planning to perform? Building a stage or performance space? Talk about it here.

Make your art Skate-able

Postby marcusr5 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:49 am

Sk8 Kamp would like to encourage everyone who is making art installations on the Playa to consider making your art Skate-able. Let's try to turn things around on the Playa from the normal world where there are 'No Skateboarding' signs on so many sick skateboard spots that were not designed for skateboarding. We can rather post signs on the installations that say 'Skate-able'. We showed this year that skateboarding and skateboard ramps can truly be art. If you aren't convinced, check out some of the photos and videos from the skateboard park at Sk8 Kamp 2011 [url]https://www.facebook.com/sk8kamp[/url] or [url]www.sk8kamp.com[/url].

Creating your art to be skate-able will not deface your art or destroy it, but rather enable a new way for people to interact with your art. All you need to do is make a skate-able section.

What to do if you would like to make your art Skate-able? Often on the playa it just takes building a flat platform to roll on to ride the art. But, if you want suggestions, contact Sk8 Kamp and we can help build or brainstorm with you.

Please let Sk8 Kamp know about any skate-able art projects and we can add it to the Playa Skate Map that we will be creating.
Playa Wood
marcusr5

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: SK8 KAMP

Re: Make your art Skate-able

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:17 am

Effing killer. You guys are my heroes.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Elderberry » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:55 pm

:roll:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:11 pm

jkisha wrote::roll:

Can anyone spell: G-E-N-E-R-A-T-I-O-N G-A-P

Or better yet.. M-Y-O-P-I-C
junglesmacks

Postby Elderberry » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:47 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
jkisha wrote::roll:

Can anyone spell: G-E-N-E-R-A-T-I-O-N G-A-P

Or better yet.. M-Y-O-P-I-C

OK, then explain to me...even if the art was skateable, are you expecting artists to also build on and off ramps to build up speed and then ease the landing rather than just planting one's self into the playa upon the end of the ride?

Has nothing to do with a G-E-N-E-R-A-T-I-O-N G-A-P or being M-Y-O-P-I-C, just practicle.

Oh, and speaking of generation gaps, what about people just never growing up? I can see skateboarding in your teens, but once past 21...well, seems like it's time then for grownup forms of transportation. And I'm assuming you are well over 21. :shock:
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:56 pm

J.. you just lost serious anti-myopic cred by attempting to connect skateboarding as a kids only or juvenile sport. Tell that to Tony Hawk or hundreds of other adult skateboarding professional athletes.

I'm 35, I skateboard/surf/snowboard/wakeskate almost daily and have since I was 5. I will do all of the above as long as I am able. Does that make me juvenile for doing what I love?

Also, I think you're misunderstanding the intent or vision. The art/structure itself would be a platform-ish type deal to skate upon.. not so much transitioning from skating directly on the playa to on the art. Even if just a couple artists did it, it would be a cool new level of interaction. I applaude anyone out there for having a vision of anything that truly hasn't been done before. There aren't many things left at this point..
junglesmacks

Postby trilobyte » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:21 pm

The good news is you're also free to build and bring as much skate-able art out to the playa as you like.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Elderberry » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:27 pm

Maybe it is generational then. For whatever reason, I have never put skateboarding into the same category as surfing, skiing or snowboarding (actually, I've just recently added snowboarding to my short list). Never really took it as "serious" "sport" I guess. Sort of like roller skating.

But I have watched Tony Hawk and some of the televised competitions, and as talented as they are, it always will strike me as something pre-teen kids should be doing on the sidewalk.

junglesmacks wrote:J.. you just lost serious anti-myopic cred by attempting to connect skateboarding as a kids only or juvenile sport. Tell that to Tony Hawk or hundreds of other adult skateboarding professional athletes.

I'm 35, I skateboard/surf/snowboard/wakeskate almost daily and have since I was 5. I will do all of the above as long as I am able. Does that make me juvenile for doing what I love?

Also, I think you're misunderstanding the intent or vision. The art/structure itself would be a platform-ish type deal to skate upon.. not so much transitioning from skating directly on the playa to on the art. Even if just a couple artists did it, it would be a cool new level of interaction. I applaude anyone out there for having a vision of anything that truly hasn't been done before. There aren't many things left at this point..
JK
Elderberry

Postby Elderberry » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:29 pm

jkisha wrote:Maybe it is generational then. For whatever reason, I have never put skateboarding into the same category as surfing, skiing or snowboarding (actually, I've just recently added snowboarding to my short list). Never really took it as "serious" or "sport" I guess. Sort of like roller skating.

But I have watched Tony Hawk and some of the televised competitions, and as talented as they are, it always will strike me as something pre-teen kids should be doing on the sidewalk.

Then again, I'm sure you wouldn't know the difference between a Quickstep and a Tango, and there are world wide competitions in ballroom dancing too; something you might find uninteresting. (Actually, with some of the dance reality shows lately, this has gotten a wider audience; but just saying...)

junglesmacks wrote:J.. you just lost serious anti-myopic cred by attempting to connect skateboarding as a kids only or juvenile sport. Tell that to Tony Hawk or hundreds of other adult skateboarding professional athletes.

JK
Elderberry

Postby fbcota » Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:51 pm

Jkisha: Your digging a deeper hole and re-enforcing the generation gap with every word. Plus, come on, most "adults" don't think burning man is a very "adult" thing to do.

I know its all about perception but skate boarding involves a whole lot more skill and talent then a certain wooden stick and ball game that men in their 40s and 50s seem to play a lot. I think its simply cultural and generational perception. Although I do find it odd that The Clash went from being music for angry kids to being considered one of the greatest bands of all time and skate boarding, a 35+ year old sport is still reglegated to being "childish".

Although I'm 32, from a lost generation who still plays with toys, and builds giant playhouses in the middle of nowhere. Ohh, Pier 2 may be skate-able, if you use a mountain board (those gaps are still going to be pretty killer).
fbcota

Postby Nipple » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:02 pm

fbcota wrote: Ohh, Pier 2 may be skate-able, if you use a mountain board (those gaps are still going to be pretty killer).

It was unicycleable. (I enjoyed riding out to the end and back. Thank you!)
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:09 pm

Truth be told, serious skateboarding is perhaps one of the most challenging and difficult sports in existence. The fact that they make it look so easy is actually a testament to professional ability. Combine gymnastics with total control body mechanics.. then do it over concrete on a small, wheeled object. You have no clue of the level of difficulty..

Anyway... back to more "adult" things like wearing fake fur and eating psychedelics the middle of the desert. Where were we?
Last edited by junglesmacks on Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
junglesmacks

Postby Elderberry » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:11 pm

Hey, I don't care. If anyone takes anything I say seriously, that's their problem. This is an anonymous board on the Internets after all. And again I feel compelled to repeat one of my favorite quotes "Opinions are like ass holes. Everybody has one; and they're all full of shit!" :wink:
fbcota wrote:Jkisha: Your digging a deeper hole and re-enforcing the generation gap with every word. Plus, come on, most "adults" don't think burning man is a very "adult" thing to do.

I know its all about perception but skate boarding involves a whole lot more skill and talent then a certain wooden stick and ball game that men in their 40s and 50s seem to play a lot. I think its simply cultural and generational perception. Although I do find it odd that The Clash went from being music for angry kids to being considered one of the greatest bands of all time and skate boarding, a 35+ year old sport is still reglegated to being "childish".

Although I'm 32, from a lost generation who still plays with toys, and builds giant playhouses in the middle of nowhere. Ohh, Pier 2 may be skate-able, if you use a mountain board (those gaps are still going to be pretty killer).
JK
Elderberry

Postby Nipple » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:16 pm

jkisha wrote:one of my favorite quotes "Opinions are like ass holes. Everybody has one; and they're all full of shit!"

I prefer "Opinions are like assholes. Fuck 'em."
Nipple

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:37 pm

I prefer to flick virtual boogers on you.

We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Elderberry » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:05 pm

Nipple wrote:
jkisha wrote:one of my favorite quotes "Opinions are like ass holes. Everybody has one; and they're all full of shit!"

I prefer "Opinions are like assholes. Fuck 'em."

LOL Never heard it put quite like that before, but I can appreciate that sentiment as well!
JK
Elderberry

Postby forty_eight » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:12 pm

it was just a suggestion, lol.

skateboarding isn't a sport (closer to art actually: creativity-style-expression, etc) ... but it sure is a helluva lotta fun!
forty_eight

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Elderberry » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:24 pm

48_love wrote:it was just a suggestion, lol.

skateboarding isn't a sport (closer to art actually: creativity-style-expression, etc) ... but it sure is a helluva lotta fun!

Then maybe somebody should create Skate Park Camp, sort of like the roller disco does for roller skaters.
JK
Elderberry

Postby fbcota » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:55 pm

You did care. You have taken multiple times to post on said anonymous forum your opinion. Silly boy, your words betray your words. :P

Sorry, just giving you shit now. Nothing personal, its eplaya.
fbcota

Postby Elderberry » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:12 pm

fbcota wrote:You did care. You have taken multiple times to post on said anonymous forum your opinion. Silly boy, your words betray your words. :P

Sorry, just giving you shit now. Nothing personal, its eplaya.

Well of course I care! Silly person you.

I've have even come to believe that my feeling on this is generational.
JK
Elderberry

Postby forty_eight » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:15 pm

They already did it ... built ramps, brought ramps and donated ramps!

Check out the FB or this:

http://sk8kamp.com/

Temple SESSSSION!
forty_eight

Burning Since: 2013

Postby Elderberry » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:34 pm

Very cool.
JK
Elderberry

Postby marcusr5 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:47 pm

Two Thumbs Up!!!!! YAYYYYYYYYYY
Playa Wood
marcusr5

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:11 pm

fbcota wrote:Sorry, just giving you shit now. Nothing personal, its eplaya.

+3.14

You know I'd give you a love wedgie any day of the week, J
junglesmacks

Postby moonrise » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:22 pm

jkisha, warning! warning! IF you try snowboarding on your short list, wear wrist guards!! (BUY qaulity ones and bring them with you)
I cannot tell you how many people (mostly men) have broken BOTH wrists and then, how do they wipe their ass after #2! This is the topic of endless hilarious and sometimes sad bar discussions in Tahoe!!

WEAR WRIST guards and hire an insturctor!! TIP: private Full or Half Day lessons always favor the hawt instructors, hahaha (you can ask for a male instructor without offending anyone)...buy the lunch & tip the guy some munny at days end. Have fun and take Ibuprofen before during and after your lesson(s)! (I was also a snobrd/ski instructor, back country guide, snowmobile guide, for years, before my 'accident' destroyed that fun day job, Fuck! :cry: )

Snowboarding is very fucking dangerous, very!!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby carnivore.robotics » Mon Oct 24, 2011 1:44 am

We can totally setup a map at camp with rideable stuff mapped. Even if not intended, a lot of stuff is rideable, t saw great footage of someone riding stuff by the man. And I think if we do get a reefer truck like we plan every year (but never get) we CAN do snowboarding out there, no wrist guards allowed.
...// ilya p. - dj mosf3t - SK8 Kamp\\...
carnivore.robotics

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:13 am

Nipple wrote:
fbcota wrote: Ohh, Pier 2 may be skate-able, if you use a mountain board (those gaps are still going to be pretty killer).

It was unicycleable. (I enjoyed riding out to the end and back. Thank you!)

It almost wasn't wheelchairible. I got the "casters" stuck in one of the gaps on the way down and needed assistance to get upright again.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Postby Elderberry » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:16 am

thanks, but you won't have to worry about that! I enjoy skiing, but doing it on a board with both feet attached--I don't think so.
moonrise wrote:jkisha, warning! warning! IF you try snowboarding on your short list, wear wrist guards!! (BUY qaulity ones and bring them with you)
I cannot tell you how many people (mostly men) have broken BOTH wrists and then, how do they wipe their ass after #2! This is the topic of endless hilarious and sometimes sad bar discussions in Tahoe!!

WEAR WRIST guards and hire an insturctor!! TIP: private Full or Half Day lessons always favor the hawt instructors, hahaha (you can ask for a male instructor without offending anyone)...buy the lunch & tip the guy some munny at days end. Have fun and take Ibuprofen before during and after your lesson(s)! (I was also a snobrd/ski instructor, back country guide, snowmobile guide, for years, before my 'accident' destroyed that fun day job, Fuck! :cry: )

Snowboarding is very fucking dangerous, very!!
JK
Elderberry

Postby marcusr5 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 9:29 am

Playa Wood
marcusr5

Postby Elderberry » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:02 am

marcusr5 wrote:
JK
Elderberry

Next

Return to 2012 Art & Performance