Suicidal Tendencies

All things outside of Burning Man.

Re: Suicidal Tendencies

Postby maryanimal » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:54 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
maryanimal wrote:I need some insight as to what goes through someones mind when they're about to end their life. but backed out.

I have a problem with the way you are wording this. Seems to me, that if someone is about to end his/her life, and then holds off for whatever reason, lays down the gun, steps away from the edge, puts the cap back on the bottle or the vial back in the fridge...

This is not "backing out." This is "facing up."

That moment in time when you know you can die, one more move and you are done... Damn.

If you are still standing after that particular gut-check, you have not backed out of anything; quite the reverse, in fact. Please do not devalue that wretched little achievement.

I wasn't devaluing anything. Being able to back away from something as serious as taking ones own life isn't a mere achievement. IMHO, it's the realization the depths of their decision. In no way was I devaluing what people go through when they are faced with the possibility of suicide.
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby graidawg » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:27 pm

suicide''s worst effect is the one it has one other people, ive already told everyone how it affected me and will for ever.

I am suddenly reminded of the moment after i jumped off a highdiving board the first (and last time) teh thought that went through my head was "I wish i hadnt done that".
I remember sitting and munching painkillers on evening alone in the flat after my girlfriend dumped me and moved out and thinking when the pack was empty "I wish I hadnt done that"
Now having met you superb people I think "I'm glad i didn't do that"

I bet my dad, if he could, would be thinking "I wish I hadn't done that"

and now I'm thinking " I hope you Don't do that please".
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:11 pm

Oh (((Maryanimal))) I wasn't aiming that at you, probably just at myself really, at that red-neck part of me that has to take every dare and never back down from a challenge. That tendency has got me into more trouble... :roll:

And yeah, what Grai said: Please just DON'T DO IT.

Halcyon said it better, though:

Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Sic Pup » Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:46 pm

I hope I'm fortunate enough to not expire unexpectedly and to check out when I deem the time is right. We all live in our own head, no one truly knows what anyone else is experiencing and I try to respect that and not judge other's ultimate decision, one that should only be made by them. I was close twice, a jerk of the steering wheel once, and the flick of a finger away a second time. I honestly don't know if I made the right decision in either case because I don't know what lays beyond (if anything). Who is to say that the alternative, if one exists, isn't better? That said, I don't regret my decisions either, the time just wasn't right then (but I don't rule out that it may be tomorrow).

Life is full of decisions, all of them have reprecussions, some significant, some minor, some glaringly obvious, some of them unknown, unforeseeable, why should death be any different?

Barring an accident, I'm pretty sure I will be departing by my own hand, on my own terms. At this stage I'm not hoping to die but I sure am curious about what lays beyond, if anything. If I was given an expiration date I'm not so sure I wouldn't look at it with anticipation (and maybe even relief). I know I certainly wouldn't hang on and drag it out indefinitely if there was no quality to the continued existence. Of course, I also recognize that confronted with the reality I might feel differently.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby maryanimal » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:41 pm

((((MyDearFriend)))) (((((SicPup)))))
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby TinkerMom » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:41 pm

MyDearFriend wrote: at that red-neck part of me that has to take every dare and never back down from a challenge. That tendency has got me into more trouble...

I'm the same way. But thats adrenaline.
I have a friend we have to keep a tight leash on whenever we go someplace that is up high. He has this insatiable desire to jump off
of where ever or what ever. He just likes the feeling of falling or flying. Again adrenaline.
When I was in my late teens and early 20's I was in to drugs. I was brought back several times. But I kept doing it. It wasn't
about the suicidal tendencies, it was the drug rush. Adrenaline? or?

I think back now and wonder if I was missing something. Was I depressed and didn't know and thought this was the way?
Accidents are one thing and those close calls, too. But like MA said, what is the thought? That push? The final whatever?

I do know, that I told my family, if I am diagnosed with some terminal something, don't be suprised if the cops come and say
"She stole a fast car and drove it over a cliff or into something.DOA"
Because they know my adrenline junkie self would have wanted it that way.
....the password is pineapple.........

Just throw it on the fire! It will kill it or cure it!!
TinkerMom

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity BDC

Postby RayMcKay » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Tough situation to be in, it's gotta be hard. I wouldn't know what to tell you besides give as much support, and care as you can. I'm sure you already do that though...I hope everything works out.
We can never judge the lives of others, because each person knows only their own pain and renunciation. It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think that yours is the only path.
RayMcKay

Postby maryanimal » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:44 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:Oh (((Maryanimal))) I wasn't aiming that at you, probably just at myself really, at that red-neck part of me that has to take every dare and never back down from a challenge. That tendency has got me into more trouble... :roll:

And yeah, what Grai said: Please just DON'T DO IT.

Halcyon said it better, though:

This video should be shown to students everywhere. This guy has a great message! I like him!
maryanimal

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:30 am

Pass the Halcion.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Sham » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:27 pm

If I'm ever feeling down and blue, I watch this short video and head off to my local Walmart and stroll the store, humming this tune until I start feeling better about myself. It doesn't take long! Try it.

Sham

Postby maryanimal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:48 pm

ROFLMFAO LOLOLOLOLHEHEHEHEHEHEHAHAHAHAHAHAHA*SNORT*HOHOHOHEHEHEHAHAHA I'm crying! that was soo f**king funny! *howling with laughter* Thank you Sham! I needed that!! hehehehehe now my nose is dripping!! LMAO *wiping tears*
maryanimal

Postby jkisha » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:03 pm

OK, now I have shopped at Walmart and I have NEVER seen any of those people.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Sham » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:10 pm

jkisha wrote:OK, now I have shopped at Walmart and I have NEVER seen any of those people.

If the people of Walmart are not standing out to you, then I would be VERY, VERY concerned!
Sham

Postby jkisha » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:33 pm

Shambala wrote:
jkisha wrote:OK, now I have shopped at Walmart and I have NEVER seen any of those people.

If the people of Walmart are not standing out to you, then I would be VERY, VERY concerned!

LOL I was thinking that exact same thought as I posted that.

But seriously, maybe it's because we shop at a super Walmart, usually late at night in a pretty good neighborhood outside Los Angeles, but I've never seen anyone there even close to being as weird as those in the video. Actually the same goes for the one I was at in Las Vegas and Carson City.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:35 pm

Cherrypicking.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby maryanimal » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:11 pm

Ever been to Arkansas?? :D
maryanimal

Postby lucky420 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:58 pm

oh geez in 2010 we had 2 incidents of Walmart people here in fallabama. One was a machete weilding dude threatening everyone..

I have always wanted to make a midnight run to Walmart, I am usually asleep or drunk by then :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:16 am

Wouldn't the second make it better?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:36 pm

Fuck, Sham, I have seen the video and cannot now un-see it.

I grew up rural so, yeah that's how they are but they don't run in packs like that normally. :shock:

*staggers off to wash her eyeballs with soap*
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Sham » Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:26 pm

I'm sorry about that MDF. You might need to wash your eyes out with bleach to erase those images. I should have given a warning before posting that.
Sham

Postby maryanimal » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:52 pm

She saved my life...

maryanimal

Postby wh..sh » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:51 pm

I came across this suicide prevention promotion few years ago. Sometimes just keep an eye out for people around us (not just the ones we love) goes a long way.
http://www.ruokday.com.au/content/what- ... k-day.aspx
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby Elliot » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:03 pm

*lurking*
Elliot's Bicycle Service, Camel Saddlery and Beverage Salon 5 & G as before, probably.
Ali Elliot Fy Fasan, proprietor

Caravansary Black Rock 2014

ImageImageImage
Millicent The Bus; pedal-vehicles on Playa and in Kinetic Sculpture Races.
Elliot

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Elliot’s Bicycle & Beverage Emporium

Postby moonrise » Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:49 am

I never (or rarely) read this thread. So what is going on here? Mary Animal, why did you bump this now? When did the little girl save your life?

Wh..sh, yer a rock, no concern about you from this end (except, got any good tips for working alllll night?) I'm getting tired. :|

And Elliot WTF is up? Why post *lurking* Hmmm (?!!)

Now I've done it and posted here, fuck, not a happy thread that's for sure (and think of the L word freakouts!!, maybe this 4x bump will help some of 'em)

Now I've gone and fucked up everyone's morning coffee, sorry!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Sham » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:11 am

Sham

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:08 am

Many of the habitues of the suicide thread have become tough by necessity in order to survive...

(Of course, there's also a tender underbelly thing that goes on, but again most denizens have the sense to check in with others before getting too close to the whirlpool...)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby wh..sh » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:30 am

moonrise wrote:Wh..sh, yer a rock, no concern about you from this end (except, got any good tips for working alllll night?) I'm getting tired. :|

I am a rock or the cold-blooded ones that live under the rock. Either way, not to worry about me :)

I have gone through a phase of depression myself and I can understand the helplessness that is associated with it. Hence decided to bump the thread.
Many people believe that depression is something that you can just wake up one morning and shrug off. Also, some with good intentions expect people to get over it.
Unfortunately, most cases of depression doesn't work that way. Hanging in there doesnt work either. Understanding that one may not be able to help someone in depression, even by providing understanding ears, is key.
If you think someone is depressed, get medical help.

Tips for working all night = power nap. Even an hour of sleep multiplies your productivity.
In my world there's only legible and more legible.

-Bob
wh..sh

Postby moonrise » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:38 am

Thanks Wh..sh, I do get better sleep these days, always at least 4 to 6 or 8. (with exception of last night and a few other nights, ugh) I call my shit "stression"

yea Fishy, I prefer the "what's your back up plan" thread ya made for everyone...I'm hoping to do both of course! meaning 2012 burn and some travel down to the Islands, any Islands! (Hawaii would be best but the Channel Islands are interesting also :))

I'll unsuscribe to this thread, Moon :)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby lucky420 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:06 pm

I have taken a suicide prevention training course. It was actually very emotional and I hope that I never ever have to use it... :(
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:19 pm

I hope so too. HOwever, I wish more people would take such courses. There is such a fundemental ignorance about depression and systems whacked out by drug use...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion