Stop Burning Man's Culture of Bicycle Thievery!!!

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Re: Stop Burning Man's Culture of Bicycle Thievery!!!

Postby Bob » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:21 pm

I also missed where you said you searched the bike pile post-event for your missing property. Which is littering, essentially.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby A Jester » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:31 pm

MOOP_Czar wrote:
Kinetic V wrote:Lock your fucking bikes, quit your fucking bitching, stay calm and carry on.

Sooo....

What you are saying is...

My plans to pack the frame with plastique explosives and installing a blasting cap attatched to Biometric handlebars is over thinking the issue?

That sounds so very moopy.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby A Jester » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:57 pm

Prometheus wrote:A bike theft camp might bring some awareness. Could also do a bootleg sting operation, with GPS-tracked bikes, and the camp's "bike police" hunting down the perpetrators. Might get the Rangers and LE focused on the issue, if only to avoid the problems they see with the camp. Their lack of doing the most basic protection is the cause of the camp.

Here's my stock response:
If you don't like the way a department is running, join it and change it. There are two possibilities. Either other people have already tried your idea and it didn't work out, or you'll bring the fresh new insight that the department needs.

I can't speak for them, but I would imagine that the Rangers and LE are focusing on issues they think are more important. MAYBE a huge fine would make LE think of it as a money generator, and have them focus on the issue... but that also sounds like it could turn into LE treating the whole event as even more of a revenue generator than they already do.

I'm not sure if you're trolling when you say "Their lack of doing the most basic protection is the cause of the camp.", but if you're even a tiny bit serious it seems like you have a much different idea of how they should be spending their time than I do.

IF LE was to enforce every law down to petty theft, the event would be quite different. Drunk in public, public nudity, and no seat belt are just a few laws I'm glad they aren't enforcing. IF you think the Rangers should be doing more/better than they are now, you're free to embrace the doacracy and join them. I'm sure you'll be able to stop all kinds of bike theft while doing whatever else it is you have to do as a Ranger.

Good luck with that.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby unjonharley » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:08 pm

\\
So do you go to parties and leave the keys in your car.
Then bitch the rave support car theft?
Man up, you fucked up.. LOCK YOUR BIKE
unjonharley

Postby The Drifter » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:45 pm

A Jester wrote:
Prometheus wrote:A bike theft camp might bring some awareness. Could also do a bootleg sting operation, with GPS-tracked bikes, and the camp's "bike police" hunting down the perpetrators. Might get the Rangers and LE focused on the issue, if only to avoid the problems they see with the camp. Their lack of doing the most basic protection is the cause of the camp.

If you don't like the way a department is running, join it and change it. There are two possibilities. Either other people have already tried your idea and it didn't work out, or you'll bring the fresh new insight that the department needs.

I can't speak for them, but I would imagine that the Rangers and LE are focusing on issues they think are more important. MAYBE a huge fine would make LE think of it as a money generator, and have them focus on the issue... but that also sounds like it could turn into LE treating the whole event as even more of a revenue generator than they already do.

I'm not sure if you're trolling when you say "Their lack of doing the most basic protection is the cause of the camp.", but if you're even a tiny bit serious it seems like you have a much different idea of how they should be spending their time than I do.

IF LE was to enforce every law down to petty theft, the event would be quite different. Drunk in public, public nudity, and no seat belt are just a few laws I'm glad they aren't enforcing. IF you think the Rangers should be doing more/better than they are now, you're free to embrace the doacracy and join them. I'm sure you'll be able to stop all kinds of bike theft while doing whatever else it is you have to do as a Ranger.

Good luck with that.

A well thought out post and I thank you for it. But I think a lot of people are really missing the point. More police at Burning Man is not it, and neither is policing petty crimes that are not in violation of community standards. A small part of it is redirecting police focus on what the community does consider important. Theft is one such issue. I don't think it's unreasonable to assume that most of the Burning Man community is against bicycle theft. Would this be correct or not? If so, why not work with the police who are going to be there regardless, on mitigating a very prevalent crime.

But that's only the secondary part of my idea. The more important part is encouraging BOrg to work on removing bicycle theft acceptance from Burning Man's culture. What I'm trying to say and people are having a devil of a time understanding is that when BOrg tells people to "lock your bike", what they are really saying is "Bicycle theft is part of Burning Man, and we don't hold people responsible for such behavior". What they need to do is treat it like MOOP or radical self reliance. They need to say that thievery is not part of BM culture and that it will not be tolerated. Don't encourage the thief by stating that he or she has a place in the community. And stop blaming the victim.
Last edited by The Drifter on Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Drifter

Postby jkisha » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:46 pm

trilobyte wrote:I'm sorry that you keep forgetting to lock your bike up and get your bike stolen, but I hardly think that an organization that issues numerous warnings and cautions to lock one's bike can be considered promoting bicycle theft.

I do know people who've lost bikes. Like you, they all lost them after leaving them somewhere unlocked. It's unfortunate, but like you they presented a 'target of opportunity' to someone who's less likely a career bike thief and more likely someone who was too lazy to walk home (or wherever it was they left their own bike). It would be absolutely awesome if people just stopped doing that, and we could all leave our bikes unattended/unlocked anywhere all week. Until that day comes, get better at locking up your bike.

If there is no penalty for "borrowing" someone's unlocked bike, people will continue to "borrow" them. There is no difference between a lazy person "borrowing" a bike or a lazy person "stealing" a bike. If someone borrows a bike without permission it is stealing. What if someone borrowed your car without permission? Even if you left your keys in it. Would your attitude be as casual? if law enforcement issued citations with fines, maybe people would think twice about borrowing someone's bike.

Large fines seem to be effective in getting bar tenders to check ID's.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Kinetik V » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:01 pm

Having a little fun with this...

Slipping on a virtual sock for a second let's say I'm a young federal ranger who got assigned to the playa. I get approached about possible offenses and have a chance to make a good bust or two that would sure look good on my file when review time rolls around. I've got my choice of working a bike theft or a marijuana bust. The bike theft...has a good chance of turning into misdemeanor if it makes it to the court system at all. The drug charge...well...that's a whole other story and everyone here knows it. That's FELONY territory real quick..and the more drugs I can find the better chance we have of getting those career enhancing distribution charges...and up and up it goes along with those promotional opportunities. So...if you were in the LE shoes....which cases would you work?

Bike theft unless it's got extra circumstances associated with it stands no chance.

Meanwhile might I interest you in the new, improved way to secure your camel, oops I meant bike......(dang no commerce, can't continue!, but refer to my earlier post if you missed the camel reference)
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Packoderm » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:08 pm

Alternatively, perhaps all bikes at Burning Man could be considered community bikes except for bikes with signs indicating that they are not community bikes. These signs would need to be fastened to the bike with something strong such as a cable and a lock through the frame and rims, to another bike, or through the frame onto a solid object such as a fence post of bike rack. Now it is only sensible for it to be agreed that cutting a locked bike's cable with bolt cutters in order to obtain the bike is against the principles of Burning Man at least in spirit even if there is no official policy against it.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby unjonharley » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:19 pm

Your blue bike is missing..
There are a few blue bikes at BM..
You want the cops to stop every one on a blue bike and question them..
Your sure your bike is being kept in "a" camp..
Now you want the cops to get a warrent to search every camp at Bm.
It's BMorg's fault some one took your bike..
The BMorg sold tickets to people that seal bikes..
The Bmorg should run background checks of all ticket holders.

You are a stupid ass..
LOCK YOUR FUCKING BIKE
unjonharley

Postby Prometheus » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:45 pm

A Jester wrote:

Good luck with that.

Seems the Burn is turning into a draw for the dysfunctional, like flies to flypaper, or sociopaths to NYC. No need to travel across three time zones to find a gathering of people with NPD when it's just a short train ride away. Participating in Figment and Night Market seem better use of time for now. We shall see what the Burn evolves/devolves into.
"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there." - Lewis Carroll
Prometheus

Postby The Drifter » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:46 pm

unjonharley wrote:Your blue bike is missing..

You are a stupid ass..
LOCK YOUR FUCKING BIKE

Yup. The culture of Burning Man has changed, and it now consists primarily of people like you. After a decade of being a contributing member of this community (I have created and financed two official theme camps and one official playa art structure among other projects), it's no longer for me. 2011 was my last year. Goodbye.
The Drifter

Postby Elorrum » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:50 pm

This is the third year that I personally remember posts saying, "we were right there near them." or " only turned our backs on the bikes for a second." There most likely have been a few posts saying the same thing every single year. This to me has been clear instruction to lock my bike. Figure a way that is the least hassle and stick to it. Keep it in sight; keep it in hand; or lock it.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby The Drifter » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:55 pm

Prometheus wrote:
A Jester wrote:

Good luck with that.

Seems the Burn is turning into a draw for the dysfunctional, like flies to flypaper, or sociopaths to NYC. No need to travel across three time zones to find a gathering of people with NPD when it's just a short train ride away. Participating in Figment and Night Market seem better use of time for now. We shall see what the Burn evolves/devolves into.

Well said. It's now obvious to me that creative energy and money is best spent elsewhere. The selfless "gift economy" model is culturally dead, and it seems not even understood. What has replaced it are in fact dysfunctional people who only understand a nest of anarchy in which to unleash selfish negative energy. It's really too bad, because the event was once great. Maybe it still is, for someone else.

It really doesn't surprise me that rape has been such a problem in recent years. It fits with the emerging culture.
The Drifter

Postby Kinetik V » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:03 am

The Drifter wrote:
Yup. The culture of Burning Man has changed, and it now consists primarily of people like you. After a decade of being a contributing member of this community (I have created and financed two official theme camps and one official playa art structure among other projects), it's no longer for me. 2011 was my last year. Goodbye.

Today we post the official eplaya obituary of: The Drifter

Infected with a case of severe Burnier than Thou-itis, The Drifter's ever thinning skin made him fall victim to one hard hitting but obviously quite impactful eplaya post on October 16th and he officially announced his demise from a community he put so much of himself into.

Please take a second and mourn the loss of another former citizen of Black Rock City who rather than adapt with the times decided to just roll over and succumb, whining all the way to the bitter end about how his gifts were not appreciated and how life just sucks. He has taken his toys and gifts and went to the great sandbox in the beyond, aka Camp Reality Sucks where instead of contributing, he can become...just another spectator.

And as a parting shot he brings up even more sensitive issues. We hurt the things we love the most. Seems to be happening here....just saying.

Edit: Ok, that was harsh. Maybe it was too much Russian beer. Who knows, who cares, the whole thing made me feel like it's a "I'm going to take my fucking toys and go home" type post...I thought it sucked. So I said something.
Last edited by Kinetik V on Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:09 am

The Drifter wrote:Yup. The culture of Burning Man has changed, and it now consists primarily of people like you. After a decade of being a contributing member of this community (I have created and financed two official theme camps and one official playa art structure among other projects), it's no longer for me. 2011 was my last year. Goodbye.

Let me get this straight- now that you're not getting complete 100% support you're going to take your ball and go home (or not go "home", as the case may be)? If that's the case, what's the point of this thread, other than to complain? If you can't create the change that you think needs to happen, who do you expect to do it? Last time this came up, people came up with creative solutions that they could do without expecting others to do it for them. That's how Burning Man has always grown.

I have yet to loose a bike at the event, but I lock mine every time I get off it, and have since I first attended in 2003. The only bikes that I know of that have been stolen weren't locked. It's not that it's a culture allowing theft, it's that it's a city of 50,000+ people, many of whom are in some sort of inebriation; there is also the degradation of the "gift" culture to radical self-entitlement, which wrongly makes anything that isn't nailed down "community property" to some people.

Oh, as an FYI- unjon has probably been going as long as you, if not longer. Just because he doesn't agree with you doesn't make him less of a Burner, it just means he looks at the event differently, and takes the whole "self-reliance" thing as core (ie, locking your bike).
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:37 am

I worked DPW eight years. Every year people like the OP leave their unsecured bikes behind as litter -- a thousand-plus this year, I've read. If anyone, these are the people who need to get fined, not the stoners who borrow unlocked bikes, ride them for five minutes, and fall off.

Want to change the culture of Burning Man? Stop telling your loser friends about it.

Bob

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:56 am

jkisha wrote:
trilobyte wrote:I'm sorry that you keep forgetting to lock your bike up and get your bike stolen, but I hardly think that an organization that issues numerous warnings and cautions to lock one's bike can be considered promoting bicycle theft.

I do know people who've lost bikes. Like you, they all lost them after leaving them somewhere unlocked. It's unfortunate, but like you they presented a 'target of opportunity' to someone who's less likely a career bike thief and more likely someone who was too lazy to walk home (or wherever it was they left their own bike). It would be absolutely awesome if people just stopped doing that, and we could all leave our bikes unattended/unlocked anywhere all week. Until that day comes, get better at locking up your bike.

If there is no penalty for "borrowing" someone's unlocked bike, people will continue to "borrow" them. There is no difference between a lazy person "borrowing" a bike or a lazy person "stealing" a bike. If someone borrows a bike without permission it is stealing. What if someone borrowed your car without permission? Even if you left your keys in it. Would your attitude be as casual? if law enforcement issued citations with fines, maybe people would think twice about borrowing someone's bike.

Large fines seem to be effective in getting bar tenders to check ID's.

I'm pretty sure if you happened to be standing there when someone stole your bike and pointed it out to a LE they'd fine them/arrest them or whatever. It's impractical to expect them to search all of BRC for your lost/stolen bike though. I lock my shit up if I don't want it wandering off. The police can't be everywhere at once, and I don't think I'd want them to be if they could.
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby jkisha » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:05 am

Packoderm wrote:Alternatively, perhaps all bikes at Burning Man could be considered community bikes except for bikes with signs indicating that they are not community bikes. These signs would need to be fastened to the bike with something strong such as a cable and a lock through the frame and rims, to another bike, or through the frame onto a solid object such as a fence post of bike rack. Now it is only sensible for it to be agreed that cutting a locked bike's cable with bolt cutters in order to obtain the bike is against the principles of Burning Man at least in spirit even if there is no official policy against it.

Ridiculous.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby jkisha » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:08 am

The Drifter wrote:
unjonharley wrote:Your blue bike is missing..

You are a stupid ass..
LOCK YOUR FUCKING BIKE

If that's all it takes to dissuade you from going, bye bye!
JK
jkisha

Postby jkisha » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:11 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:
I'm pretty sure if you happened to be standing there when someone stole your bike and pointed it out to a LE they'd fine them/arrest them or whatever. It's impractical to expect them to search all of BRC for your lost/stolen bike though. I lock my shit up if I don't want it wandering off. The police can't be everywhere at once, and I don't think I'd want them to be if they could.

Can you or anyone else provide one instance of this EVER happening in the history of the event? My guess is that it never has happened, which is why bike theft is still a problem.
JK
jkisha

Postby unjonharley » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:02 am

\\
Looks like I have run another of Burning Mans monarchy down the road..
unjonharley

Postby Bob » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:09 am

Occupy Center Camp.

Bob

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:21 am

jkisha wrote:
mudpuppy000 wrote:

Can you or anyone else provide one instance of this EVER happening in the history of the event? My guess is that it never has happened, which is why bike theft is still a problem.

My point was: how is anyone supposed to know your bike is getting stolen except you if you leave it unlocked. Sure, if you see some guy wandering around with bolt cutters that's suspicious but if some random burner happens to jump on your bike and ride off why should anyone give it a second thought?
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby jkisha » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:35 am

I think this is that old thread with some pretty clever, not to mention entertaining, ways of deterring bike theft on the playa. http://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?f=286&t=27939&p=499685&hilit=bike+theft+trap#p499685
JK
jkisha

Postby Nipple » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:46 am

Bob wrote:I worked DPW eight years. Every year people like the OP leave their unsecured bikes behind as litter -- a thousand-plus this year, I've read. If anyone, these are the people who need to get fined, not the stoners who borrow unlocked bikes, ride them for five minutes, and fall off.

Want to change the culture of Burning Man? Stop telling your loser friends about it.

Obvious Answer: This man stole the OP's bike.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby The CO » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:50 am

The Drifter wrote:Burning Man supports bicycle theft. Sure, they tell you in the guide to lock your bike...
...Theft is now ingrained in the culture and Burning Man management is to blame for permitting it.

You've contradicted yourself in the opening paragraph of your statement.

The Drifter wrote:This year I had another one stolen even though I had locked it religiously for every moment except the five minutes I spent on a trampoline.

And the only time your bike got stolen was when you didn't lock it? Hmmm.... Weird.

The Drifter wrote:The bad thing is a bike is something you can't really do without at Burning Man and expect to enjoy the same experience.

I call bollocks on that statement.

The Drifter wrote:No problem is worth pointing out unless it comes with a solution; so here's mine. Burning Man has to make it crystal clear that theft of any kind and specifically bicycle theft is contrary to Burning Man culture and it will not be tolerated!

You want the Borg to tell people that stealing is wrong. Anyone that doesn't know that already isn't going to learn it in BRC.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby Savannah » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:04 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:
jkisha wrote:
mudpuppy000 wrote:

My point was: how is anyone supposed to know your bike is getting stolen except you if you leave it unlocked. Sure, if you see some guy wandering around with bolt cutters that's suspicious but if some random burner happens to jump on your bike and ride off why should anyone give it a second thought?

This is an excellent point. I cannot stop the theft of a bike unless 1) I know what a specific person's bike looks like, and 2) see someone else about to walk off with it. Unless someone is camped with me or right next to me, never will these two conditions be satisfied at once. Anyone who walks confidently up to a bike looks like the owner.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby graidawg » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:43 pm

well the simple answer is to ban private ownership of bikes totally then any bike found you can be sure its communal property and can take it, if someone locks a bike well that is clearly theft and they can be evicted and banned for life.
In Fact why dont we ban all forms of transport except art cars (and those needed by the disabled) that way we wont have anyone complaining 'their' bike has been stolen. any bike brought to BRC would be taken at greeters sprayed green and placed at bike racks around the city.
Now i am sure that would stop bike theft.

Or they could add say $50 to the price of a ticket and everyone gets one buy them in bulk and i am sure they could get them even cheaper than that, then at the end of Bm donate them to a worthy cause. oh and they could put lights on them all so nobody has an excuse for being a darkwad. In fact why dont they give everybody a headlamp when they get to gate so we cure the darkwad issue at the same time.

or perhaps we could just remember to lock our bikes or if dont have time because the trampoline needs playing with RIGHT NOW ask someone to watch it for us?
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby moonrise » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:35 pm

Many of the bikes look exactly the same! What if someone honestly took the wrong bike by mistake and the cops ticketed/arrested them? (the horror)

Is it that diffcult to lock your bike? (maybe if you're a 5 year old)

PleaseLOCK YOUR BIKE
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby jkisha » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:51 pm

moonrise wrote:Many of the bikes look exactly the same! What if someone honestly took the wrong bike by mistake and the cops ticketed/arrested them? (the horror)

Is it that diffcult to lock your bike? (maybe if you're a 5 year old)

PleaseLOCK YOUR BIKE

How would you feel if someone "borrowed" your golf cart?
JK
jkisha

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy