How to Dye With Dignity!

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Re: How to Dye With Dignity!

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:38 am

DanusLight wrote:FJ, I had considered an egg carton, but the containers are larger than the egg divets (i don't know what those spaces are called!)

What about a metal muffin baking pan.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Kontradiction » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:15 pm

I look forward to helping with the efforts during one of your dye-parties. :)
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby tamarakay » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:03 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
DanusLight wrote:FJ, I had considered an egg carton, but the containers are larger than the egg divets (i don't know what those spaces are called!)

I'm going for more containment. Coffee cups with lids that paintbrushes can fit through or those cups like they use in elementary schools. Something with a lid. We can have spray bottles, but they can't have a real wide spray (contain contain contain). The goal is more paint feel than tie-dye, with the fabric being their canvas. Fabric pens and stamps will work too, cause they can be contained and are fun too.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby tamarakay » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:04 pm

Kontradiction wrote:I look forward to helping with the efforts during one of your dye-parties. :)

Welcome to BDC! It's a fun place :D

tamarakay

Postby Kontradiction » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:56 pm

tamarakay wrote:
Kontradiction wrote:I look forward to helping with the efforts during one of your dye-parties. :)

I can't wait. :)
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby DanusLight » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:38 pm

Kontradiction wrote:
tamarakay wrote:

I can't wait. :)

I can't wait either .. it will be to dye for .. rofl sorry, I couldn't resist.

And in response to the muffin pan .. I think it was meant as a suggestion to put the paint containers in? Maybe? But even still that would allow for wobbling and falling over and spillage. Not good!

I have something in mind and I will discuss it with MyHandyDan over the weekend and see if it can come to fruition!!
I don't sit up all night and plot revenge... I just sit back and giggle once Karma takes over!!!
DanusLight

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Drawingablank » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:40 pm

tamarakay wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:

I'm going for more containment. Coffee cups with lids that paintbrushes can fit through or those cups like they use in elementary schools. Something with a lid. We can have spray bottles, but they can't have a real wide spray (contain contain contain). The goal is more paint feel than tie-dye, with the fabric being their canvas. Fabric pens and stamps will work too, cause they can be contained and are fun too.

I meant as a method to hold the smaller containers from falling over / blowing away as opposed to0 egg cartons. Another thing we used to do in the shop was to glue 1/4" plywood squares to the bottom of containers to make them less likely to get tipped over.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby BurningDaylight » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:03 am

With what little dying I've done, a couple of thoughts - first, nothing beats silk and cotton is good, too. Don't even bother with polys - they just can't hold a dye. Second is about the color-fastness of the dyes. Sounds like you have some ideas on setting the dye, but I have this image burners taking of their scarves to reveal their multi-colored necks. Silk does tend to hold the dye better, so this may not be a problem. Third is keeping it simple. Hauling back grey water or other used liquids is a drag. The more you can design it to minimize what you have to clean up or throw away, the better. I do like the spray bottle idea, but the overspray in breezy conditions could be a mess. As for the cold drinks, you may need a health permit and I think there might be some things to tend to, like how drinks are handled and prepared and stored. It could mean actually getting a permit, but as was said earlier, don't fear the health permit.

I know you already have a name, but drawingablank inadvertently provides a good second.
Just up or still up?
BurningDaylight

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Abstininthe

Postby tamarakay » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:44 pm

Yeah Dharma shipped my stuff today so I get to try out the silk this week!

And thank you mfdb. I had just about decided the safest thing to do was just bring the iron and ironing board. We will have a generator as ken has a c-pap machine he needs at night, so we could use the generator during the day. I read about the microwave/saran wrap method of heat setting too.

I guess all that is still depending on how these dyes do that advertise not needing any kind of "set." I have been having nightmares about multi colored necks too.

I paint pens did well. Once dry they didn't bleed onto Ken with his vest or neckband. Even with the gel things staying wet on top of the paint, the paint held and didn't not bleed. So if all else fails we have paint pens and stamps. From the reading I did you don't have to have a permit for the juice/iced tea. Only if we are doing food. I think we will see how 2012 goes and maybe work on incorporating food in 2013.

I thought about lining the inside of the monkey hut with sheets or cheap fabric and then hang the scarfs in front of that. Ken wants to try building a screen. Then you can just pin or clip the scarfs to the screen and go to town. I bought the painters canvas drop cloth for the flooring today.

It's cheaper to buy two 12x24 pieces of pre-fabricated shade cloth than it is to have one 24x24 made. By about 50.00 so, i'm going to order that this paycheck. Then all materials for Art Hut (well one more piece of flooring would be good) and that one is a done deal!

I have NO IDEA how many scarves to shoot for providing. I told ken we might have two or three people a day or we might have 50, its kinda hard to judge.

tamarakay

Postby BurningDaylight » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:55 am

Ah, yes. I had forgotten about heat setting. Most of my dying has been with yarn, making it kinda hard to iron. And at burning man, a little blue-neck wouldn't be so bad. Reminds me of the guy last year painted completely blue who wandered into our bar in rather a panic wanting to use our shower. I think he had come down from whatever he was on the night before and freaked out. Not wanting our overburdened grey water blue, I had to shoo him away.
Just up or still up?
BurningDaylight

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Abstininthe

Postby tamarakay » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:32 pm

Found 25 white cotton baseball hats for $1.00 each. Snapped them up. Woohoo!
The shade cloth for the art hut's monkeyhut has been shipped.
Today we ordered the aluminet for the monkeyhut for the airstream.

Woot!

tamarakay

Postby DanusLight » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:56 pm

r
tamarakay wrote:Found 25 white cotton baseball hats for $1.00 each. Snapped them up. Woohoo!
The shade cloth for the art hut's monkeyhut has been shipped.
Today we ordered the aluminet for the monkeyhut for the airstream.

Woot!

rofl, i'm glad i'm not the only one looking at 'blank canvases'. i've been eyeballing some aprons ... they may wind up 'to ship' box :wink:
I don't sit up all night and plot revenge... I just sit back and giggle once Karma takes over!!!
DanusLight

Postby tamarakay » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:00 pm

This silk painting is addictive. Cotton is ok, actually let's you control the dye better, more like paint. But wet silk lets magical things happen.
Still have to find some polysomthing to try on. The Colorhue brand says it does well with it.
The fabric paint pens on the cotton bandana's are fun too. More like coloring. Need to come up with a way to stretch the bandana's out. Maybe just cardboard pieces?

Even Kendoll is getting into it.

You can put some of the colorhue in a ziploc with water, put in wet silk. Shake the bag around and the dye is absorbed into the fabric and the water remains in the bag, clear. Interesting easy tie-die effect. If you already painted on some sweeping color lines, or blots of other colors, they don't run. Amazing stuff.

You all ought to come paint with us some afternoon. LOL
Last edited by tamarakay on Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tamarakay

Postby tamarakay » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:01 pm

You can always ship to me and I can haul along too!

tamarakay

Postby tamarakay » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:11 pm

And the bigger thingies to hold containers would work better than just holes in the lids. You need different paintbrushes for different effects. So maybe we can figure how to make racks of six to eight colors on a palette? Then each painter can have a little tray to hold and paint from?

tamarakay

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:19 pm

tamarakay wrote:Need to come up with a way to stretch the bandana's out. Maybe just cardboard pieces?
I take it embroidery hoops are too small.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby DanusLight » Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:09 pm

tamarakay wrote:And the bigger thingies to hold containers would work better than just holes in the lids. You need different paintbrushes for different effects. So maybe we can figure how to make racks of six to eight colors on a palette? Then each painter can have a little tray to hold and paint from?

what are you picturing here? a little more detail, please! i have the bottles/vials with lids, the holes can by cut any size we want! we can have a bajillion bottles if ya want ... okay maybe not a bajillion, but close!

and I think wax paper covered cardboard with binders/clips (which i have) will work great!

so .. i mention a weekend painting trip and get 'is it near Nacogdoches Lake?' *rolls eyes* really? that's what you have to ask me? *sighs* okay, sorry ... carry on ....
DanusLight

Postby DanusLight » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:21 am

this is what I had in mind:

DanusLight

Postby Kontradiction » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:32 pm

Phew! Hard for me to keep up, can't build for sh*t.

However, I'm still on board to help with a Party. :)

Kontradiction

Postby DanusLight » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:44 am

Yay! Plane tickets (yes, I know it's early, but there aren't many first class seats on a plane!!) and room reservations two nights before and one night after ( have to make them before the cook off people get them!) :D

Now to purchase more paint colors!!

Hugs :wink:
DanusLight

Postby DanusLight » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:24 am

We must be a busy lot!

Anything new? I have nothing new ... that kinda makes me sad. There should be something new. That will have to change ... dammit :twisted:
DanusLight

Postby tamarakay » Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:30 pm

Our little art hut home! 15 feet wide opening. 24 feet long. about 7 feet and a couple inches tall.
Next on the list would be playatech furniture, but like most everyone, all expenditures are on hold until tickets are confirmed.

tamarakay

Postby bigdane » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:53 pm

tamarakay wrote:Copied from How to Start a Theme Camp, going to go ahead and stick my neck out there a little further:

Maybe it's second year megolamania or whatever, but Kendoll and I are thinking of having a scarf painting/design/create your own kind of little camp. Most likely, if Doc let's us, as part of the Barbie Death Village, or if that doesn't work out, our own little place. Either way, if we had a few more people to bounce ideas around with and help create it would be just grand.

It's a two part idea. First, have several different shapes, sizes, types of material and some fabric dyes and fabric paints. I'm particularly liking how silk takes the diluted fabric dyes. We are thinking a monkey hut, tarp the heck out of the ground, we can hang fabrics from clotheslines and have some work tables available. Have it open during the day, maybe like 1 - 5? So it would be a place to stay cool during the heat of the day, have some creative fun, and at the end of it have a nice scarf (dust mask) that you designed as a keepsake. If anyone is familiar with kids painting supplies, you know the little cups that have lids you can poke the paintbrushes through? Those seem to work really well with the dye, keeps it more contained, not as much spillage.

Second part is to have a juice/lemonaid/tea bar along with it. Cool drinks for sure, we were thinking of maybe doing quesidillas but don't really want to mess with the whole health inspection thing, maybe 2013 can add that. Trying to keep it simple, but still interesting and fun for our first year to plan a little place.

If you are interested in being a part of this plan in its hatching stages, PM me. Even if you aren't interested in being a part of it, I welcome your input here and via PM!

L-O-V-E I-T!!!!
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
bigdane

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

Postby DanusLight » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:48 am

bigdane wrote:
L-O-V-E I-T!!!!

Yep, that pretty much sums it up!
DanusLight

Postby tamarakay » Mon Nov 14, 2011 6:27 am

bigdane wrote: L-O-V-E I-T!!!!

And we look forward to meeting you at our little camp!
Thanks for the enthusiasm, that was a much needed boost.

tamarakay

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:44 am

(((((tamarkay)))))
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby DanusLight » Mon Nov 14, 2011 2:35 pm

TamaraKay I ditto Fishy's action. Dane, you are joining us?
DanusLight

Postby Dr. Pyro » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:17 pm

You ladies thinking Big Dane might make a worthy addition to our little slice of paradise on the playa?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby tamarakay » Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:53 pm

LOL I think Big Dane would be a worthy addition no matter how you slice him. Have you not looked at his picture? I know we are suppose to be all about inner beauty yadayada, but sometimes you just gotta appreciate nature. :wink:
*edited for spelling, got so giddy lol*

tamarakay

Postby bigdane » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:08 pm

tamarakay wrote:LOL I think Big Dane would be a worthy addition no matter how you slice him. Have you not looked at his picture? I know we are suppose to be all about inner beauty yadayada, but sometimes you just gotta appreciate nature. :wink:
*edited for spelling, got so giddy lol*

awwwww....slice, die and share... :P ... 8)
but you know I'm going to be there lettin my creative juices go hog wilde!!!! :wink:

btw I'm driving through TX to BRC next year...woot!
don't play with matches unless you intend to burn
bigdane

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp and Wine Bistro

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Theme Camps