IE 9 Display Issue

Use this space for bug reports or to discuss site functionality and statistics.

IE 9 Display Issue

Postby jkisha » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:52 am

Just wanted to let you know that the entire header navigation doesn't display at all in I.E. 9 (Windows 7 64bit)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: IE 9 Display Issue

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:59 am

Yet another reason to ditch IE for Firefox or Chrome.

Honestly, I didn't even think anybody still used IE. It's so.. 2001.. :lol:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby trilobyte » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:27 am

After a quick search, apparently IE9 users have experienced a variety of formatting issues with a number of different PHPBB boards. A quick search also shows that there are problems with IE9 and all kinds of pages/sites, and reviews of the browser have criticized it for the quirky site compatibility problems. We're running a couple minor releases behind current, which is something I'm planning to fix in the near future. Skimming the changelog on the PHPBB site, there appears to be at least one minor fix related to IE9, but it's not clear if it will resolve that issue. While most consider IE9 a big improvement over its predecessor, it's considered the least 'standards compliant' of the mainstream browsers.

If navigating to another site and then clearing out your browser cache doesn't help, then you may want to consider another browser. Firefox, Safari, and Chrome should all work without incident.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby jkisha » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:42 am

I have FF, Chrome, Safari, IE9, Opera and a few other's installed on my machine, so it's not a problem for me. I usually use Chrome with the IE plugin when I need IE. I was just letting you know that there is an issue. (Though I use IE a lot--my company is a MS partner and their browser works best with their collaboration tools)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby trilobyte » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:58 am

I appreciate the heads-up, and will try to check it out again once we update to 3.0.9. Beyond that, it may require some modification to the site's template/cascading style sheets - not entirely impossible, just something I wasn't planning to get to for a while.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby BBadger » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:36 am

junglesmacks wrote:Yet another reason to ditch IE for Firefox or Chrome.

Honestly, I didn't even think anybody still used IE. It's so.. 2001.. :lol:

You must still be living in 2001 if you think IE is the same browser. ;) Funny enough, back then IE was the best browser by a long shot, whereas every other browser (IE on Mac, Netscape Navigator 4.x, etc.) was so quirky and obnoxious to code for. I was thankful for IE's dominance at that time and wished people would switch to it because every other browser at the time sucked complete shit. It since changed, but it sure was a different time back then.

Ironically, with all of Firefox's shitty memory problems, slowdowns, stuttering, inept installation method (requiring me to install and update as the Administrator), and obnoxious Netscape-era profile system I've been tempted to return back to IE, especially with the latest series of browsers that have been released. In fact, if it weren't for Firefox's extensions, I'd have dropped it already for Chrome or even IE. I have already removed the cancer of Firefox from every computer that I cannot personally manage all the time because it won't update itself without someone updating it as an Administrator (unlike IE or Chrome). Firefox is starting to look like the bloated, buggy, piece-of-shit monstrosity it tried to replace (Mozilla). They're even adopting the version-bombing that Netscape had prior to its ultimate demise. I guess fruit never falls far from the tree huh?

Trilobyte: the issue is that IE9 is being forced to render the page in "IE7 standards mode" for compatibility. It is caused by this tag in your HTML:

Code: Select all
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=EmulateIE7" />

Either remove it, or change the tag to force IE9 mode:

Code: Select all
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=9"/>
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:26 am

lol..

- I know IE is not the same as in 2001.

- I'll agree with you that FF can be a buggy, stuttery, memory hogging SOB.

- Overall though, I still find it the best option out there with all things considered.
junglesmacks

Postby BBadger » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:46 am

junglesmacks wrote:lol..

- I know IE is not the same as in 2001.

- I'll agree with you that FF can be a buggy, stuttery, memory hogging SOB.

- Overall though, I still find it the best option out there with all things considered.

Only the extensions. There is really nothing else that sets it apart these days sadly. All the browsers render websites just fine, are fast (except Firefox when it has been running too long), and provide about the same features.

It was like that with Firefox and IE back in the day actually... Firefox really didn't have a feature-set compelling enough to make people switch, especially after the well-touted "tabs" were added to IE7. My own reasons for leaving IE was that Microsoft ruined it by taking out inline autocomplete. After that was gone, I had no reason to stay with the browser. For FF, only the extensions really called to people... and now, it's the only thing holding folk like me back, like an anchor child in a marriage. I just wished that Google were more competent about adding a useful extensions interface for Chrome. I'd jump on that boat so fast.

I just can't leave extensions like Tree-style tabs (no, the Chrome "equivalent" does not cut it)...
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:50 am

Eh.. the extensions, but honestly the overall "feel" of FF I like best. IE annoys me to no end with it's not-so-subtle steering towards MS based crap like Bing. It just feels.. icky. Chrome.. eh.. I dunno. Again.. something about it just doesn't feel right. Being as that I have to sit and stare at the computer pretty much all day for work, being comfortable is a major deciding factor. I guess I just like FF?
junglesmacks

Postby BBadger » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:32 am

junglesmacks wrote:Eh.. the extensions, but honestly the overall "feel" of FF I like best. IE annoys me to no end with it's not-so-subtle steering towards MS based crap like Bing. It just feels.. icky. Chrome.. eh.. I dunno. Again.. something about it just doesn't feel right. Being as that I have to sit and stare at the computer pretty much all day for work, being comfortable is a major deciding factor. I guess I just like FF?

Yeah, I know what you mean...

I'm not big on IE's trend towards tab-next-to-address-bar thing and its weird bar thing on the bottom to ask questions, and its seemingly random requests to set my settings in IE as if I just installed it (that was more in IE7 and IE8 though). Things just feel "off" on that browser now. IE 6 felt somewhat "solid" even if it was ultra buggy and shitty.

Chrome is okay, but it just feels like some experimental spartan browser. It works great, but it's a browser I'm just not sure if I want to "invest" in like so many Google products the company makes and abandons.

I guess I'm only pissed at Firefox in this way because I care enough to want it to be good. You can't truly hate something (or critique it) unless you truly loved it, or wanted to.

BBadger

Postby trilobyte » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:47 am

Thanks for the tip, BBadger. If it's not addressed when the PHPBB update is applied, that info will come in handy when digging into template files used for the site.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Return to Site Function