How to Approach a Bar?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

How to Approach a Bar?

Postby Kontradiction » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:37 pm

Obvi, I'm a Burgin, 2012 will be my 1st Burn.

Notwithstanding, I do like a good party and of course I'll be bringing enough booze to make the week enjoyable (with some to share with Campmates of course) on a personal Level...

Now then...say, I hear about an awesome Bar that's hoppin' and throws a nice 'Do each Night/random Nights.

How do I approach "appropriately"?

I've read it's best to bring a Gift as you are going to be hanging out there and drinking/dancing etc.?

Etiquette advice greatly appreciated, my thanks in advance.
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Re: How to Approach a Bar?

Postby jkisha » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:44 pm

Some of the bars are so crowded you don't have to worry about doing anything but walk up, present your cup and order your drink. The smaller bars, walk in, sit down and say hello and usually the bar tender will ask what you'd like. Some bars only serve their specialty cocktail, like Celestial Bodies, who serve a wonderful Playa Cosmo. The drink and their friendly atmosphere is not to be missed.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:46 pm

Okay.
1--Do not be upset if they ask your age or to see your id. Nevada drinking age is 21. They do do send in underage undercover to see it they drink. And a bar that's popped gets to pay chunks of money.
2--Some bars will ask you to do something. Spin a wheel to decide what drink you should get, tell a story, whatever. If that's not acceptable to, doesn't feel like the "true spirit of gifting" or whatever, just politely say no and go elsewhere.
3--You don't have to gift a bar to be a customer. Just be a decent customer. I don't know what shape that may take, but I think most of us know how not to be too much of an ass.
4--Bring your own cup. This means that the bar doesn't have to deal with the moop issues of paper cups or the health department issues of reusable dishes.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Kontradiction » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:59 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Okay.
1--Do not be upset if they ask your age or to see your id. Nevada drinking age is 21. They do do send in underage undercover to see it they drink. And a bar that's popped gets to pay chunks of money.
2--Some bars will ask you to do something. Spin a wheel to decide what drink you should get, tell a story, whatever. If that's not acceptable to, doesn't feel like the "true spirit of gifting" or whatever, just politely say no and go elsewhere.
3--You don't have to gift a bar to be a customer. Just be a decent customer. I don't know what shape that may take, but I think most of us know how not to be too much of an ass.
4--Bring your own cup. This means that the bar doesn't have to deal with the moop issues of paper cups or the health department issues of reusable dishes.

Got it. And at age 41, I'll gladly take a Carding. :)
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby Zhust » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:56 am

Decommodify.

Don't pull out your cash. Don't put your cup on the bar.

Walk up and say hello. Sit down and have a chat. If you like talking with them, stay some more. If they offer you a drink, thank them and produce your cup at that point. Don't chat with someone you don't like (or if they don't like you) for the sole purpose of getting free booze. Make your it your goal to find a personal connection. If procuring and consuming alcohol is your goal, be self-sufficient and bring your own.

"To Decommodify" is to not treat people like drink dispensing machines.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby BBadger » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:30 am

Actually, it'd be pretty funny if you brought out some monopoly money for "cash."

A good gift? A sincere compliment.

Rather than booze, bring mixers. One bottle of vodka can make a hundred drinks, but a bottle of mixer is only good for a few tens. There's always a glut of alcohol, and people like a variety of mixers.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby tattoogoddess » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:18 am

I'd do it! Whip out a stack of them in a big fat rubber band!! hehehe

Good topic. I was also wondering the same :) Valuable info!
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby phil » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:29 am

Be sure to ask if they take Visa. Some don't have the little machine out there on the playa.
phil

Postby ambird » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:44 am

theCryptofishist wrote:4--Bring your own cup.

This is very important! I thought everyone would know to carry a cup, but I saw a lot of people without cups who had to turn down delicious cold drinks because the drink-offerer either didn't have cups to begin with or had run out.

Also, smile. I think sharing a big smile and a warm, genuine "thank you!" is preferable to trying to trade a gift for a drink.
ambird

Burning Since: 2011

Postby Kontradiction » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:07 pm

phil wrote:Be sure to ask if they take Visa. Some don't have the little machine out there on the playa.

:roll:

Kontradiction

Postby Kontradiction » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:08 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:I'd do it! Whip out a stack of them in a big fat rubber band!! hehehe

Good topic. I was also wondering the same :) Valuable info!

Me too. : ) But regardless, I'll have my own stock. And extra mixers. ; )

Kontradiction

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:09 pm

As the voice of reason on this forum for lo these many years, let me add my two cents worth. There is a reason Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro has a completely open atmosphere: we want people to feel welcome. I know even to this day I feel very uncomfortable walking into a dome and expecting (or hoping probably is a better word) a drink. There are a few notible exceptions: The Booby Bar (may she rest in peace) and Bay Bridge Sue's bar, but these people are my friends. It seems to me too many bars make it difficult to get served. I know in our modest little camp we do not require people to bring their own cup, in fact, we prefer if they didn't. This way we can handle how much we pour (generally 4 ounce servings of wine). I know that is against the ethos that is Burning Man, but shouldn't a gift economy factor in that as well? <enter Moop Nazi giving me a ration of shit> I know people think domes are cool and that their bar is the bitchenest on the playa (got news for you: no it isn't), but I think this thread is necessary. If everybody did things the way we do it, the playa would be a much better place. <Graidawg and Misa, now we strike for playa domination> But you all knew that already.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Kontradiction » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:15 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:As the voice of reason on this forum for lo these many years, let me add my two cents worth. There is a reason Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro has a completely open atmosphere: we want people to feel welcome. I know even to this day I feel very uncomfortable walking into a dome and expecting (or hoping probably is a better word) a drink. There are a few notible exceptions: The Booby Bar (may she rest in peace) and Bay Bridge Sue's bar, but these people are my friends. It seems to me too many bars make it difficult to get served. I know in our modest little camp we do not require people to bring their own cup, in fact, we prefer if they didn't. This way we can handle how much we pour (generally 4 ounce servings of wine). I know that is against the ethos that is Burning Man, but shouldn't a gift economy factor in that as well? <enter Moop Nazi giving me a ration of shit> I know people think domes are cool and that their bar is the bitchenest on the playa (got news for you: no it isn't), but I think this thread is necessary. If everybody did things the way we do it, the playa would be a much better place. <Graidawg and Misa, now we strike for playa domination> But you all knew that already.

Thanks Doc. I'll be on hand to serve gladly. :)

Kontradiction

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:16 pm

BBadger wrote:One bottle of vodka can make a hundred drinks, but a bottle of mixer is only good for a few tens.

Remind me never to let you pour my drinks. A couple dozen drinks, maybe. A hundred? Only if you're serving to nuns...

That said- bars do run out of mixers faster than booze usually. I generally bring booze to gift to bars and hold onto it until Thursday or Friday, then give it away so they have fresh stock for the weekend rush.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby jkisha » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:24 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:As the voice of reason on this forum for lo these many years, let me add my two cents worth. There is a reason Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro has a completely open atmosphere: we want people to feel welcome. I know even to this day I feel very uncomfortable walking into a dome and expecting (or hoping probably is a better word) a drink. There are a few notible exceptions: The Booby Bar (may she rest in peace) and Bay Bridge Sue's bar, but these people are my friends. It seems to me too many bars make it difficult to get served. I know in our modest little camp we do not require people to bring their own cup, in fact, we prefer if they didn't. This way we can handle how much we pour (generally 4 ounce servings of wine). I know that is against the ethos that is Burning Man, but shouldn't a gift economy factor in that as well? <enter Moop Nazi giving me a ration of shit> I know people think domes are cool and that their bar is the bitchenest on the playa (got news for you: no it isn't), but I think this thread is necessary. If everybody did things the way we do it, the playa would be a much better place. <Graidawg and Misa, now we strike for playa domination> But you all knew that already.

Well we're in 100% agreement on this.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:31 pm

I sidle on over and ask what his sign is.

Wait, approach a bar? I thought it said "approach a man at a bar".
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Kontradiction » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:47 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I sidle on over and ask what his sign is.

Wait, approach a bar? I thought it said "approach a man at a bar".

+1
:mrgreen:

Kontradiction

Postby lemur » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:03 pm

Dr. Pyro wrote:I know people think....that their bar is the bitchenest on the playa (got news for you: no it isn't),

i got news for you, old man! yer doin it wrong!!

The Lamplighters Lounge is the bitchenest bar on the playa!!!

yes, it is not only bitchen because its not a dome, or because it has a kickass shade structure with a awesome viewing deck..but mainly because there are no stupid ass games to get a drink.

Our lounge is not only part of our home out there, it is a public face that lamplighters show the city that we use to entice new hard workers to volunteer for the cause. We are there to work and when we are done we like to enjoy a good drink.. Our bar is comfortable and open.. no need for any tricks or songs or to feel like you are gifting... just belly on up and get somethin to drink. Get warmed up by our burn barrel. Make friends!! Talk.. we are friendly.. then pass out on one of our comfortable couches..

I'd really like to see less of the guessing game as to what hoops youll jump through just to get a drink at a bar... that aint interaction.. you gonna gift booze or not!?

we need more open friendly bars where people dont feel intimidated to walk up, chat and get a drink..

if you cant find one.. come to center camp, and lamplighter village.. we will be there for you!!

(also.. dont forget to come to our two annual parties which serve over 1000 people 100gallons worth of drinks each time: Monday 10pm Sangria Soiree (with quesodillas) and WEdnesday 12noon Bloody Mary Brunch (with pickled veggies and other snacks)

(OH YEAH.. and help light the city 5pm every day at the lamplighters chapel in center camp, behind the cafe)

(playa jazz cafe has a bar worth an honorable mention...... no games, no stupid tricks.. and a very low pressure atmosphere, they are usually in center camp as well)
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby MOOP_Czar » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:13 pm

Walk into the bar and ask the bartender - "What'll you have?!"

Then hand them a PBR.

Of course you need to carry PBR with you.

And not drink it.

And keep it cold.

A map case will hold about 5 cans with ziplock bags filled with ice.
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:52 pm

The Party Naked Tiki Bar is sooooooo much more bitchen than the stupid Lamplighters Lounge. They're even better than us.
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby gyre » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:15 pm

Back away slowly, avoid eye contact, and speak to the bar in a calm, quiet voice.

Running might trigger a chase response.

Do not approach a bar with cubs.
gyre

Postby MOOP_Czar » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:18 pm

gyre wrote:Back away slowly, avoid eye contact, and speak to the bar in a calm, quiet voice.

Well played.

I had to read that twice.
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby Savannah » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:32 pm

lemur wrote:The Lamplighters Lounge is the bitchenest bar on the playa!!!

yes, it is not only bitchen because its not a dome, or because it has a kickass shade structure with a awesome viewing deck..but mainly because there are no stupid ass games to get a drink.

Our lounge is not only part of our home out there, it is a public face that lamplighters show the city that we use to entice new hard workers to volunteer for the cause. We are there to work and when we are done we like to enjoy a good drink.. Our bar is comfortable and open.. no need for any tricks or songs or to feel like you are gifting... just belly on up and get somethin to drink. Get warmed up by our burn barrel. Make friends!! Talk.. we are friendly.. then pass out on one of our comfortable couches..

I'd really like to see less of the guessing game as to what hoops youll jump through just to get a drink at a bar... that aint interaction.. you gonna gift booze or not!?

we need more open friendly bars where people dont feel intimidated to walk up, chat and get a drink..

if you cant find one.. come to center camp, and lamplighter village.. we will be there for you!!

(also.. dont forget to come to our two annual parties which serve over 1000 people 100gallons worth of drinks each time: Monday 10pm Sangria Soiree (with quesodillas) and WEdnesday 12noon Bloody Mary Brunch (with pickled veggies and other snacks)

(OH YEAH.. and help light the city 5pm every day at the lamplighters chapel in center camp, behind the cafe)

(playa jazz cafe has a bar worth an honorable mention...... no games, no stupid tricks.. and a very low pressure atmosphere, they are usually in center camp as well)

This was my (totally unexpected) experience at Lamplighters Lounge. Comfortable, pretty, strong drinks, good music, quesadillas(!) . . . loved looking at my strange and beautiful hometown via the lookout tower. Feeling welcome--as a total stranger--was the best thing, though. What a way to kick off my week. You guys do an amazing job, Lemur.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Kontradiction » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:33 pm

gyre wrote:Back away slowly, avoid eye contact, and speak to the bar in a calm, quiet voice.

+1 : )

Kontradiction

Postby The CO » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:06 am

MOOP_Czar wrote:Walk into the bar and ask the bartender - "What'll you have?!"

I took a squad out and we delivered medical martinis to hard-working bartenders on a couple days. Gets you the best damn service anywhere you go.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby jcliff » Sat Oct 15, 2011 1:37 am

This is just nit-picky.....but everything important has already been said well. My suggestion is not to pull out playa gifts when you are negotiating a drink. Most worthy bars are happy to have you and don't need a gift in turn. In fact, your "gift" may seem like a barter situtation which true Burners will avoid. More importantly, trinkets produced in mass such as anything plastic, will put the bar keep in the uncomfortable position of accepting a gift that will either be MOOP or just one more thing to haul in their gargabe to Reno. If you really love a bar keep, then come back and get to know them. If you feel the love, give them something meaningful......after you've had a meaningful encounter.
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby graidawg » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:56 am

At Barbie Death City, in 2015 the whole city will be one huge bar, Dr Pyro will be the city mayor and all bars will be required to drag participants in on an hourly basis. Nobody i s alllowed to leave under there own steam, if you can walk you arent trying hard enough (Inset fishy comment HERE) after 7 days of drinking in the BDCity everybody will receive a complementary functioning liver, we hope to make an arrangement with MASH for installation.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby MOOP_Czar » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:03 am

graidawg wrote:At Barbie Death City, in 2015 the whole city will be one huge bar, Dr Pyro will be the city mayor and all bars will be required to drag participants in on an hourly basis. Nobody i s alllowed to leave under there own steam, if you can walk you arent trying hard enough (Inset fishy comment HERE) after 7 days of drinking in the BDCity everybody will receive a complementary functioning liver, we hope to make an arrangement with MASH for installation.

There may be conflict.
2015 was going to be the year of BRRC -

Black Rock Re-Education Camp.

We can more our timeline forward if need be.
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby graidawg » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:09 am

MOOP_Czar wrote:
graidawg wrote:At Barbie Death City, in 2015 the whole city will be one huge bar, Dr Pyro will be the city mayor and all bars will be required to drag participants in on an hourly basis. Nobody i s alllowed to leave under there own steam, if you can walk you arent trying hard enough (Inset fishy comment HERE) after 7 days of drinking in the BDCity everybody will receive a complementary functioning liver, we hope to make an arrangement with MASH for installation.

There may be conflict.

by 2013 we will have assimilated TC and center camp, other camps to follow in 2014, 15 to be the year all of BRc will follow the glorious leadership of uber mayor Dr Pyro.
ALL BURNERS WILL BE REEDUCATED IN THE WAYS OF PLASTIC GENOCIDE.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby MOOP_Czar » Sat Oct 15, 2011 5:12 am

graidawg wrote:
MOOP_Czar wrote:

There may be conflict.

by 2013 we will have assimilated TC and center camp, other camps to follow in 2014, 15 to be the year all of BRc will follow the glorious leadership of uber mayor Dr Pyro.
ALL BURNERS WILL BE REEDUCATED IN THE WAYS OF PLASTIC GENOCIDE.

Providing that Plastic Genocide is MOOP free, consider me on board.

I'll provide the guard towers.
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks