How to Dye With Dignity!

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Re: How to Dye With Dignity!

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:29 pm

Shambala wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:I just called my son who owns a screen printing business (and is a burner) - he just laughed at me when I asked about the possibility of bringing supplies and doing some silk screening on the Playa. To quote him - "Sure it could be done, but is it even remotely worth the hassles involved with mess, cleanup, disposal of stuff after cleanup, ruined screens, and so on?"

Your son is not a burner, is he? All we have to do is hear something like that, and we get it done. I just love a good challenge!

Sorry. Sometimes I just can't help myself.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:12 pm

LOL, well he is a burner although a young one and I suspect his answer reflected the attitude of why would he want to take time out from partying to do the crap he calls work the other 51 weeks a year.

On a more serious note he says that while acrylics are easier to dry on the fabric, working with them in that heat / low humidity would be a PITA, plus they are generally best cleaned using copious amounts of pressurized water (a hose for example). Cleaning would present some unique problems on the playa.

Solvent based screen inks on the other hand clean up fairly easily and have a long working time before creating screen issues. Here they can stay open on the screen for about 24 hours before drying on the screen starts to become an issue, but would likely be much less on the playa. Drying them on the fabric presents more of a problem at the burn though. In his shop he uses a high draw (18 amp) infared heater to flash dry them (about 330 degrees F.), but supplying that much power on the playa may pose some issues. He suggested that some type of solar way to heat them up may be doable such as a highly reflective sheet with a greenhouse type thing above it or something along those lines might work, although would likely take a while.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:56 pm

Why not print the man on a bunch of "blanks" off playa and burners can fill in around it with their design?
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby Sham » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:24 pm

I have seen smallish screen printing devices on the playa before. They were about the size of a George Forman grill. Anyone passing by could have their clothes imprinted if they wished. I know this is Tama-rama and Kendoll's project to hatch as they wish. I only offer some ideas here. I can see 10 inch BM logo with the year (2012 :roll: ) under it. Once the base logo is done and dry, then the fancy and creative dying, paint and designs can be done around it.
I have a loin cloth that was done many years back and I really love it as a souvenir of that year.
Sham

Postby tamarakay » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:56 pm

For this first go around I think we will concentrate on stamps and paint/dye with brushes. Kendoll is definately wanting to play with screenprinting but I think that will be a long term project.

I was going to play with fabric and dyes this weekend but Kendoll reminded me we are going to ArtOutside this weekend! WOOT! I might haul some along in case we have any down time that I can play with. Wouldn't it just be grand if there were a fabric painting artist there this weekend that I could stalk. :D

This is fun. And you guys are the bomb.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Postby moonrise » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:18 pm

What a great idea and clever camp name!

I'm not sure if you recall while at the Meet n Greet, I wrote some addresses and information for the airport on Kendolls' back (on his T-shirt) with Crayola Fabric Crayons.

I carried those crayons everywhere and they never melted (keep in mind, it wasn't very hot this year) I think they might be worth bringing, they were reasonably priced and wouldn't run out of ink. I think they just look like the usual crayons by Crayola, but they seemed to have a harder, chalky composition. (did they wash out? hehe! :mrgreen: )
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby DanusLight » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:10 am

Anyone familiar with this/these? Image

There are a few different types. I'm going to look locally before ordering.

I did get a variety pack of fabric sharpies with a brush tip ... we'll see!!
I don't sit up all night and plot revenge... I just sit back and giggle once Karma takes over!!!
DanusLight

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby tamarakay » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:15 am

I was going to play with those too. And just good old Rit dye with a "fixer" in it.

tamarakay

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:09 am

What about liquid dye in a pump spray bottle.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Drawingablank

Postby tamarakay » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:01 am

Drawingablank wrote:What about liquid dye in a pump spray bottle.

It returns a very interesting effect. One I rather like. :D
We will have all sorts of application methods available!

tamarakay

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:05 am

Oh yeah one other thing although I don't know if it applies to silk. We found that the cotton bandannas we purchased in bulk this year were heavily starched which inhibited the screen ink from bonding. So depending on the fabric you choose you may need to wash them first.

Drawingablank

Postby Kontradiction » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:22 pm

I'd love to be a part of this, if you need an extra pair of hands to pitch in at a dye-ing party, this sounds so fun. :)
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby maryanimal » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:07 pm

Shambala wrote:Maybe they can bring some nice comfy sofas in and call the camp, "Curl Up and Dye"! :roll:

Damn, that was my idea... :D

I have an airbrush set up with a compressor. After I learn to use it, I can show others how to add special effect to their project?? I love this idea! Tam, I would love it help out in anyway I can. And the Quesadilla idea is great! or grilled cheese? Grilled peanut butter and banana sammies? COOKIES!!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Postby tamarakay » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:46 pm

Been pricing out buying fabric vs. pre-made silk scarves. If you shop hard enough you can get fabric pretty cheap, but then you have to serge the edges etc. Or you can get the pre sewn 8x54' silk scarves for 1.99 each. Good ole cheapass vs busy dilemma. :| Ordered 12 of the pre-made silk scarves to check quality and concept. and a couple different types of fabric paint/dyes. Dye-Na_flow starter kit and the ColorHue starter kit. Colorhue sounds best as it is a liquid concentrate and does not require heat setting.

Of course after I hit yes, confirm, I really want to order, dharma trading says that they are moving their warehouse so my order will be delayed a week. <sigh>

Then went to walmart and bought a cheapy tie dye kit and 12 cotton bandanas. At least I can play a little!

Kendoll thought umbrellas/parasols would be fun too, but I might just get a few of those and save them for the baby burners to decorate. If I win the lotto i'll get a couple hundred of these babies as I think it's a grand idea, but we still have two monkey huts to build too.

So, this gifting stuff can get pricey :D If there is anyone out there who does bulk ordering of fabrics and can let me in on a deal, please let me know.

tamarakay

Postby Sham » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:51 pm

I just love your enthusiasm!!! Maybe people can dye their own fabrics, shirts, pants etc. Those don't cost you nuttin'!
Sham

Postby DanusLight » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:01 pm

Well, not everything has to be a scarf! I want to try chiffon as well. I have a list of materials to try colors on.

I spent the weekend cleaning the spare bedroom and preparing it for crafting! MyHandyDan installed shelves so I can stack material and bins. I'm lucky that he's sooo tolerant!
I don't sit up all night and plot revenge... I just sit back and giggle once Karma takes over!!!
DanusLight

Postby tamarakay » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:21 pm

Thanks lala!

I really like the thought of scarves though. I had a silk scarf that I used as a dust mask and it worked beautifully. Just the thought of wandering around on the playa and seeing someone go by with one our scarves just tickles me to no end lol. Maybe a bit selfish, but there you go. :D

tamarakay

Postby Kontradiction » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Shambala wrote:I just love your enthusiasm!!! Maybe people can dye their own fabrics, shirts, pants etc. Those don't cost you nuttin'!

Yeah, people could wear white tees/tanks, scrubs....white canvas shoes..? Wow what a great Idea!!
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Kontradiction » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:50 pm

whoa that's craaazy but I love the Design!

Kontradiction

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:05 pm

Me too.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Kontradiction » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:08 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Me too.

Yeah, it could maybe be done with an airbrush and some stencils....hmmm, now ya got me thinkin'. :P

Kontradiction

Postby DanusLight » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:21 pm

I have these to try the Tulip Soft Fabric Paints in and can get plenty plenty more. Also picked up some little spray bottles. Would like to try diluting the fabric paint and spraying it on the material. Hope everyone is having a grand week!!

DanusLight

Postby Sham » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:26 pm

ImageImage
Sham

Postby tamarakay » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:27 pm

DanusLight wrote:I have these to try the Tulip Soft Fabric Paints in and can get plenty plenty more. Also picked up some little spray bottles. Would like to try diluting the fabric paint and spraying it on the material. Hope everyone is having a grand week!!

hmmm, can we poke a hole in the top somehow?

I think we are twins. :D

tamarakay

Postby tamarakay » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Shambala wrote:ImageImage

These are great. Did you do those?

tamarakay

Postby Sham » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:34 pm

Well, I found the images on Google and posted them if that's what you mean. So I guess the answer is YES! :D

There are all sorts of funky techniques for getting that X (Man) image. There might even be a way to keep that image blank while the rest gets dyed.
Sham

Postby DanusLight » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:07 pm

tamarakay wrote:

Of Course we can!! Dremel, drill, When MyHandyDan gets home I'll ask for his input as well. Im also thinking of a tray of sorts so they are contained and won't fall over. Think I'll collect smaller ones as well to try mixing colors in.

I would like being a twin!!!
DanusLight

Postby FIGJAM » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:50 pm

DanusLight wrote:
tamarakay wrote:

Of Course we can!! Dremel, drill, When MyHandyDan gets home I'll ask for his input as well. Im also thinking of a tray of sorts so they are contained and won't fall over. Think I'll collect smaller ones as well to try mixing colors in.

I would like being a twin!!!

Alter an egg carton! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby DanusLight » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:16 am

FJ, I had considered an egg carton, but the containers are larger than the egg divets (i don't know what those spaces are called!)

And, I found plastic sheeting to make stencils from YAY! Now to play with different logos and sizes.

Tamara, stenicl requests? What's on your have to have list?

Argh, back to work ...
DanusLight

PreviousNext

Return to 2012 Theme Camps