Sodastream?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Sodastream?

Postby VultureChow » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:36 pm

Anyone have any experience using a Soda Stream or similar device on the playa? I'm trying to figure out ways to cut down on bulk, plus I like to make my own tonic and ginger beer syrup for gin & tonics and Dark & Stormys.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 1448
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Sodastream?

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:48 pm

"On the playa" = same as in your kitchen.

I have friends that live by those things.. I can still hear the "honk honk" of them ringing in my ears.

To me though.. it would be extra bulk, not less. You still have to carry the machine plus the cartridges plus the water to make it with.. vs just carrying the bottles of soda water in the first place. I fail to see how this cuts down on anything.

Also, FWIW.. Illy Dilly tried the whole tonic syrup mix with soda water this year with pretty nasty results I'm told. Sounds like all in all it's better to just bring the stuff in bottles.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: Sodastream?

Postby VultureChow » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:39 pm

junglesmacks wrote:"On the playa" = same as in your kitchen.

I have friends that live by those things.. I can still hear the "honk honk" of them ringing in my ears.

To me though.. it would be extra bulk, not less. You still have to carry the machine plus the cartridges plus the water to make it with.. vs just carrying the bottles of soda water in the first place. I fail to see how this cuts down on anything.

Also, FWIW.. Illy Dilly tried the whole tonic syrup mix with soda water this year with pretty nasty results I'm told. Sounds like all in all it's better to just bring the stuff in bottles.


Maybe not bulk, but for simplicity sake,I was thinking that I can just carry water and booze and mix everything else I need. I also have a recipe for tonic that I like already.

As for why I asked, carbonation is dependent largely on temperature, and I've never used it at anything other than room temp.

Thanks for the info.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 1448
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Sodastream?

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:01 pm

VultureChow wrote:As for why I asked, carbonation is dependent largely on temperature, and I've never used it at anything other than room temp.


Hmm.. I did not know that. Remember that the air temp on the playa under shade structure really is not all that extreme especially for foods and beverages that have had the chill night air the night before to even them out. They pretty much kind of even out to a room temperature more or less. It's when things sit in pure sun than they get stupidly hot..

Hey.. try it!
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: Sodastream?

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:02 pm

If air pressure makes any difference, the playa is at ~4000ft.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37469
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Sodastream?

Postby VultureChow » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:11 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
VultureChow wrote:As for why I asked, carbonation is dependent largely on temperature, and I've never used it at anything other than room temp.


Hmm.. I did not know that. Remember that the air temp on the playa under shade structure really is not all that extreme especially for foods and beverages that have had the chill night air the night before to even them out. They pretty much kind of even out to a room temperature more or less. It's when things sit in pure sun than they get stupidly hot..

Hey.. try it!



The more I think about it, the answer might be to simply buy seltzer in addition to water and then use that to make tonic and ginger beer. Since this would be my first time, the less untried technology the better. I should try to make it as simple as possible as I will be flying in from NJ, and buying water, perishables and stove fuel in Reno.
Send lawyers, guns and money - The shit has hit the fan.
User avatar
VultureChow
 
Posts: 1448
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:08 pm
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Cougar Camp @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Sodastream?

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:25 pm

VultureChow wrote:The more I think about it, the answer might be to simply buy seltzer in addition to water and then use that to make tonic and ginger beer. Since this would be my first time, the less untried technology the better. I should try to make it as simple as possible as I will be flying in from NJ, and buying water, perishables and stove fuel in Reno.


THIS.

Yes.. keep it simple.. especially for your first year. As has been mentioned before, whatever your expectations are of what the event is like.. you will most likely be very surprised and/or wrong. Keep it simple your first year. Don't worry about trying to go all out and bring musical instruments and stereos and seltzer water makers or 9 different costume/outfits.. ESPECIALLY if you are flying in. I did alllllllll of the above my first year.. and yes.. I fly in to the event and do my buying in Reno as well.

Your first year you need to concentrate on the nuts and bolts. Your shelter, your food, your little shit like rolling papers/lighters/flashlights/etc. Leave the extravagance and crazy ideas for the second year when you have a better idea of what to put your energy towards.. especially if you are flying in and space/luggage is at a premium.

..or don't take any of this advice and buy tons of stuff and throw it all at the wall and see what sticks :D I'm coming from a frugal viewpoint, myself..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
User avatar
junglesmacks
 
Posts: 5809
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 9:54 pm
Location: Orlando, FL/Kailua, HI
Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Re: Sodastream?

Postby Kontradiction » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:07 pm

I like your approach. WE, too, to the point of ridiculousness perhaps (speaking of us, not you btw) want to enjoy Good Drinks and Good Food "out there" and by which I mean, The Good Stuff (Booze) with the mixers et al, done right; and that also goes for Food done right, cooked well, and hearty/nutritious/unprocessed as much as realistically possible (we eat rather macrobiotically truth be told here in Defaultia).

So: I applaud you. : )
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
User avatar
Kontradiction
 
Posts: 214
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:44 am
Location: Los Angeles Area

Re: Sodastream?

Postby LittleJack » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:04 am

I have one at home that I love and use all the time, and this last year I brought one to the playa. Fantastic thing to have out there! The only cooler I use is one of those 5-gallon water jugs that you see at construction sites and on the back of work trucks, which I keep filled with ice, so I always have cold water. Bubble some of it up, add whatever you'd like for flavor, and you're good to go.

I love diet soda, but the cans are big and bulky, plus they generate a lot of MOOP. One small bottle of diet cola syrup, and I had plenty for the whole week without having to keep the cans cold. I also brought italian soda syrups - cherry, lime, and bacon. Yes, they make a bacon syrup! Italian sodas in the heat of the day were absolutely lovely. Someone mentioned that the carbonic acid helps neutralize playa dust, which is why carbonated beverages taste so good out there. Don't know if it's true, but they sure are refreshing.
--------
I like my coffee like I like my women: strong, earthy and full bodied!
User avatar
LittleJack
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 2:20 pm
Location: Alameda, CA
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hushville

Re: Sodastream?

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:15 pm

No prociutto flavor?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
User avatar
theCryptofishist
 
Posts: 37469
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:28 am
Location: In Exile
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Sodastream?

Postby LittleJack » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:16 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:No prociutto flavor?


If they made it, then I'd have to look for melons on the playa....

oh, waitaminnit....

:)
--------
I like my coffee like I like my women: strong, earthy and full bodied!
User avatar
LittleJack
 
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 2:20 pm
Location: Alameda, CA
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hushville


Return to Food & Drink

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests