Lodge (Cast Iron) Cookers?

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Lodge (Cast Iron) Cookers?

Postby Kontradiction » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:08 pm

Hi all,

My fiancee is a pretty accomplished 'Lodge-ware' (cast-iron) Chef and he wants to use a piece or two to cook with on the Playa, primarily a Dutch Oven.

Does anybody out there use cast iron cookery and do you have any tips/tricks/thoughts?

Thanks.
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Re: Lodge (Cast Iron) Cookers?

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:13 pm

Does he expect to have a camp fire? Because the best dutch oven cooking requires coals, and personal camp fires don't happen out there.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Kontradiction » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:24 pm

AntiM wrote:Does he expect to have a camp fire? Because the best dutch oven cooking requires coals, and personal camp fires don't happen out there.

No fire, tent stove like these from the High Desert Trading Post, using wood as fuel, putting the dutch oven on "top" of the stove to cook in. If you don't recommend it, he'll leave the cast iron cookery at home and we'll bring camp ware to cook with.
http://www.highdeserttradingpost.com/tentstoves09.html
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby AntiM » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:29 pm

Kontradiction wrote:
AntiM wrote:Does he expect to have a camp fire? Because the best dutch oven cooking requires coals, and personal camp fires don't happen out there.

No fire, tent stove like these from the High Desert Trading Post, using wood as fuel, putting the dutch oven on "top" of the stove to cook in. If you don't recommend it, he'll leave the cast iron cookery at home and we'll bring camp ware to cook with.

I was just asking because I knew a re-enactor who expected a fire in every camp. They didn't bring a stove, and a lot of raw meat.

We had our cast iron skillet out there once. We found clean up easier if we didn't cook on that level, but that's a personal choice. The playa wouldn't hurt the cookware, as far as I know. Awfully heavy though. And if he cherishes it, he'll need to take steps to protect it, not only from the playa, but from fools and thieves.

What's the plan for the ashes?
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Kontradiction » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:34 pm

AntiM wrote:
Kontradiction wrote:

I was just asking because I knew a re-enactor who expected a fire in every camp. They didn't bring a stove, and a lot of raw meat.

We had our cast iron skillet out there once. We found clean up easier if we didn't cook on that level, but that's a personal choice. The playa wouldn't hurt the cookware, as far as I know. Awfully heavy though. And if he cherishes it, he'll need to take steps to protect it, not only from the playa, but from fools and thieves.

What's the plan for the ashes?

We were going to do our very, very best to not leave a trace by any means as is the expectation(s) of the Event and the Camp that's invited us to join them. We're bringing empty 5 gallon buckets for the ash as well as graywater, and it would make great mulch for our Garden (we garden organically and also do chemical-free beekeeping, stop by for some honey, we'll be camping with BDC). You do bring up an awfully good point about the fools and thieves however...

Kontradiction

Postby AntiM » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:57 am

We have a working fireplace at home, so I do understand about the usefulness of ashes. :D

Also, stacked firewood leaves a lot of MOOP, so you'll want a tarp under it.

And maybe chain your stove to something, or make sure it is secured on burn night when nice things walk away from camp. I don't mean to make you paranoid, but when everyone is out at the burn, the determined thieves might hit up camps for nicer items. Just a long shot factor to bear in mind.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Postby Bob » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:44 am

Just use the Dutch oven on something that resembles a barbecue grill rather than a steel "firepit".
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby jkisha » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:04 pm

I brought my cast iron dutch oven this year. No problems at all.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Kontradiction » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:15 pm

AntiM wrote:We have a working fireplace at home, so I do understand about the usefulness of ashes. :D

Also, stacked firewood leaves a lot of MOOP, so you'll want a tarp under it.

And maybe chain your stove to something, or make sure it is secured on burn night when nice things walk away from camp. I don't mean to make you paranoid, but when everyone is out at the burn, the determined thieves might hit up camps for nicer items. Just a long shot factor to bear in mind.

Or lock it away in the trailer...will more than likely lock most valuables away at that time, you bring up a durned good point.

Kontradiction

Postby Kontradiction » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:16 pm

Bob wrote:Just use the Dutch oven on something that resembles a barbecue grill rather than a steel "firepit".

Good advice, we'll be looking into it.

Kontradiction

Postby lemur » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:07 pm

re: ashes and stuff.

we have one of these 55gallon drum type grills in lamplighter village.. and uhh yeah even though we are careful and clean up as we go theres ALWAYS a pain in the but mess to clean up at the end of the event.. we dont use the charcoal briquettes but 'real' mesquite charcoal and pain n the butt ensues..

i probably should be doing it already.. (i just thought of this for 2012, yay) but i would suggest tarping out more than just the storage area but also anywhere youre working with charcoal/ashes.

might be fire hazardy if youre dropping hot coals ........but .. better than cleaning up moop.

re: cast iron

just as at home.. just make sure you have the proper facilities to keep it clean.. you'll know how you like your pans treated!
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Kontradiction » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:00 pm

lemur wrote:re: ashes and stuff.

we have one of these 55gallon drum type grills in lamplighter village.. and uhh yeah even though we are careful and clean up as we go theres ALWAYS a pain in the but mess to clean up at the end of the event.. we dont use the charcoal briquettes but 'real' mesquite charcoal and pain n the butt ensues..

i probably should be doing it already.. (i just thought of this for 2012, yay) but i would suggest tarping out more than just the storage area but also anywhere youre working with charcoal/ashes.

might be fire hazardy if youre dropping hot coals ........but .. better than cleaning up moop.

re: cast iron

just as at home.. just make sure you have the proper facilities to keep it clean.. you'll know how you like your pans treated!

Yeah, we were gonna tarp the heck outta everything, and I appreciate the head's up though.

Kontradiction

Return to Food & Drink