Monkey Hut measuring suggestion

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Monkey Hut measuring suggestion

Postby Ninja Nemo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:11 am

This year was my wife and I's first burn. We used the monkey hut measurements from multiple people on the forum and it worked out great, even though we didn't even do a practice run before getting there. The only problem was that our stakes weren't perfectly square, causing a slight twist in the hut. To prevent this, I came up with a great idea to get your stakes set perfectly.

All you need is rope and 6 plastic rings about 1" in diameter (I'm using the things in the center of a scotch tape roll). Calculate the distance between three of your rebar stakes as if you were forming a right triangle. Then, cut a length of rope to match each side and tie one plastic ring to the end of each rope. That's it.

Now you should be able to slip the ring over the rebar and accurately measure out your next stake. Once two rebar are staked in, you can use two ropes and get perfect triangles every time. I'm hoping this will make setup a breeze since the tent would be guaranteed to be square.
Ninja Nemo

Re: Monkey Hut measuring suggestion

Postby Kontradiction » Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:36 pm

Coolio and thank you; the monkey hut will be a staple for us too, 2012 will be our 1st Burn.
'I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I'm all out of bubblegum'

"Rowdy" Roddy Piper, They Live

Kickass Cook, Bitchin' Mixologist, Good Friend, Constant Student of Life, Experienced Kinkster-
Kontradiction

Postby Ano » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:33 pm

Nice idea! First time I built my monkey hut, it was crooked. The second time I built it, it looked like a U. Luckily, the third time was a charm!
Ano

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: ???

Postby bud buddah » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:39 pm

I just use the center rib that runs along the top as a guide. Lay it down where you want one side, measure out your stake locations with a measuring tape and put 'em in. Then move the center rib over 12 feet or whatever and measure the distance from the pvc to 2 of the stakes you already have in. That will ensure the pvc is parallel to the other side. Measure the space between stakes and put them in along the pvc. All done.
Bud
bud buddah

Postby graidawg » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:27 pm

my first burn this year too and mydearfriend mad a monkey hut she put 2 10 foot tarps down as a floor and we used the rings in the tarps as markers for where the stakes went using the half painted rebar to measure how far from the tarp they went into the ground. also the rebar went into the ground till the paint ws buried. i am sure MDF will be able to explain better
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby incubus_pantomime » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:40 am

That sounds like a good idea. Thank you for posting.

You said that you had not preformed a "test run" of the monkey hut before you got to the playa. Did you buy your PVC at home and travel with it, or did you buy it in Reno? I'm flying in, and therefore can't bring PVC pipe. I've got a sneaking suspicion that the PVC might sell out at the hardware stores in Reno, and I was wondering if anybody had any feedback on this issue.
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"
incubus_pantomime

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Lamplighters (thanks, guys and gals!)

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:41 am

1--Reno area stores are fairly well prepared for the influx
2--Some places you can order and pay for what you need, and they will hold it until you pick it up.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby The CO » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:53 am

A note on monkey huts:

Don't close up the ends unless you have a mighty swamp cooler to pump in. A campmate did that this year and made an astounding sauna by mistake.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby BlackRockCityPimp » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:49 am

The few times I have seen these things they always seem a bit wonky and dont look like they will hold up in a real duststorm. I do spend more time drooling over domes and buses though so I might be missin out on some good ones. All the yurt people swear by the yurts via insulated panel. I'm a tent camper or skoolie camper, wouldnt mind doing something different though. Anyone got any dox or pix of something that hold up against 70mph+ ?
BlackRockCityPimp

Postby Bounce530 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:49 pm

I don't doubt my little monkey hut a bit. Used it for the last two years without any problem at all (of course last years weather didn't pose a problem to start) Yeah, they flex and bend a bit, but I know mine would not take flight. I guyline the crap out of it though.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby FIGJAM » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:39 pm

BlackRockCityPimp wrote:The few times I have seen these things they always seem a bit wonky and dont look like they will hold up in a real duststorm. I do spend more time drooling over domes and buses though so I might be missin out on some good ones. All the yurt people swear by the yurts via insulated panel. I'm a tent camper or skoolie camper, wouldnt mind doing something different though. Anyone got any dox or pix of something that hold up against 70mph+ ?

I built a "playapod" that is lite and easy to set up.

I'll bump the thread.

It's over in transpotation.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby monsta2ownzu » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:02 pm

The CO wrote:A note on monkey huts:

Don't close up the ends unless you have a mighty swamp cooler to pump in. A campmate did that this year and made an astounding sauna by mistake.

Yup, we bought a tarp that was extra long and closed off one end of ours last year. HOLY COW did it get hot in like two seconds. We fixed it immediately and all was well :-) Lesson? Don't close the ends, and keep the tarp at least a foot off the ground on each side so there is good ventilation.
When all else fails ... plan for burning man.
monsta2ownzu

Camp Name: The Neighbourhood

Postby Milayna » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:26 pm

I have a question about closing the ends of the monkey hut. I've seen lots of plans/pictures where people add a flap to one end of the monkey hut that goes over your tent and then is staked down. To me this seems like closing an end....would it have the same sauna effect?
Milayna

Postby skibear » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:00 pm

monsta2ownzu wrote:Yup, we bought a tarp that was extra long and closed off one end of ours last year. HOLY COW did it get hot in like two seconds. We fixed it immediately and all was well :-) Lesson? Don't close the ends, and keep the tarp at least a foot off the ground on each side so there is good ventilation.

What color was your monkey hut? Silver or white work best. I close one end and all of the sides of my silver hut to
keep the dust down. Did not notice them getting hot (3 years running)

Last year after closing the South West end -the predominate wind direction the wind changed to North East most
of the week, Go Figure! :shock:
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

Postby JDCookMS » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:58 pm

Sorry to jump in here, but I have a question... first of all, I'm a birgin and am not used to the desert (coming from Mississippi). But, I had thought about creating a central structure and then using a monkey-hut style system to create a tunnel from the tent(s) to the main structure. This was mainly to keep as much dust out as possible, as well as being able to have more shade. So, from what y'all are saying, this would not be a good idea, since it closes off more than one side?
JDCookMS

Postby JayBobBoy » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:56 pm

I think the key to these types of lightweight structures is good ventilation. You want maximize shade space and allow the air to flow through and around the structure.

As for trying to keep your stucture dust free(or at a minimum)...just go ahead and give up on that plan right now. There's no escape....

A monkey hut entryway to your structure does sound pretty cool though. I'm probably being harsh. If you set it up facing the right direction and the wind behaves, it will probably help. But if you accept the dust now, it'll be easier.

Burn on!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams
JayBobBoy

Burning Since: 2002

Postby Ninja Nemo » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:27 pm

incubus_pantomime wrote:That sounds like a good idea. Thank you for posting.

You said that you had not preformed a "test run" of the monkey hut before you got to the playa. Did you buy your PVC at home and travel with it, or did you buy it in Reno? I'm flying in, and therefore can't bring PVC pipe. I've got a sneaking suspicion that the PVC might sell out at the hardware stores in Reno, and I was wondering if anybody had any feedback on this issue.

As everyone else said, I think you'd be fine buying it in Reno, just make sure you can get all your supplies - don't forget a PVC cutter. Although, if you're going to give it away after the burn, keep in mind that the huts aren't the cheapest, mine cost a little over $100 in total, primarily tarp & rebar.
Ninja Nemo

Postby incubus_pantomime » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:29 am

I plan to fly out there with a tarp that we already had in our garage, and so long as I can find a place for it in our luggage, I wouldn't have a problem buying the rebar and PVC connector pieces here. That way, the only thing I would need to buy in Reno would be the PVC pipe. I also plan to build a test hut at home, so re-using the rebar and connectors cuts down on cost and waste.
"I think perhaps love thrives on unlikely circumstance and chance : life thrives on these principles, and is life not love? And love not life?"
incubus_pantomime

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Lamplighters (thanks, guys and gals!)

Return to Shelter & Camping