Calling LOST nerds. The Dharma Initiative is ready for 2012

Discuss and share theme camp plans, find a camp to join, or recruit new campmates here.

Calling LOST nerds. The Dharma Initiative is ready for 2012

Postby ShittySarah » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:46 pm

Yes, it's happening. A Lost themed camp FINALLY. We (a group from reno/sparks) are creating The Dharma Initiative. Complete with polar bears, smoke monsters, typing in 4-8-15-16-23-42 so Burning man doesn't blow up, tan jump suits, and a bar called The Hatch! This is a going to be a very theatrical camp as many of us will be in character. We still have a lot to come up with. If you want join us please PM me.
i love your..
ShittySarah

Re: Calling LOST nerds. The Dharma Initiative is ready for 2

Postby Packoderm » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:23 pm

I'm already with a camp, but Dharma Initiative will be the first camp I visit next year - if visitors are welcome.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:05 pm

I would also be keen to visit, appropriately dressed.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Packoderm » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:08 pm

I've often heard that I look a lot like Sawyer, or was that John Locke? I'm somewhere between those two.
Packoderm

Postby Savannah » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:12 pm

Quit yer braggin'. :D
Savannah

Postby Packoderm » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:24 pm

Savannah wrote:Quit yer braggin'. :D

Or maybe it was Hurley.
Packoderm

Postby carefactornil » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:39 am

Fantastic idea! I'm sure you'll get all sort of interesting suggestions!
Brilliant idea to have someone entering the numbers to stop Burning Man from blowing up! If you can get it so that you have the old-school countdown clock which starts going into red heirogylyphs and a klaxon if they get to 0 then all the better!
Having a Lost style polare bear cage for those who need locking up would be pretty cool.
You should definitely have a competition for those who most look like a particular character!
Already got my own camp/plans but already looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
carefactornil

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Syncytium

Postby ShittySarah » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:25 pm

AhA! We have discussed the polar bear cage with the fish cookies and all! I love the look a like contest! Thanks for the idea. I hope this camp comes to life and that we will see you all there!
i love your..
ShittySarah

Postby Playa Mario » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:28 am

If I wasn't doing my own camp. But you need DHARMA labeled goods. Like the Swan beer. I will totally be there. I had this idea of putting the hatch door on the playa ground and putting a bright light that shines through the glass hole. Now that you decided to to the camp, it should totally be there.
Playa Mario

Postby bezzie » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:49 pm

would love to be part of this---first time on the playa in 2012---looking for a camp to help out with. Love lost....
bezzie

Postby Savannah » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:06 pm

Hi Bezzie. :)

You're welcome to go post an introductory thread in the Introduce Yourself forum too, if you like.
Savannah

ADVERTISEMENTS SUCK.

Postby lemur » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:31 pm

HOPEFULLY you give credit where its due and install gigantic signs...

DONT FORGET TO SELL T-SHIRTS WITH BIG CORPORATE LOGOS ON THEM.

WHAT HAPPENED TO CHANGE!? were we hit with thousands of advertisements every day that used change to sell the products so it began to be so dulled inside us that we couldn't even recognize it anymore?-REV BILLY
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Ugly Dougly » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:48 am

Maybe yield to reality and call it vapid consumerism camp.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby C187 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:50 pm

I wonder where the ideas dartboard will be, and if it will become a drinking game. Although I worry that within a minute of being at the camp I'll realize the camp members are all in purgatory, and wonder why the camp is still around a few years later.

If you liked the show, more power to you. I just had to get a jab in. Although the dartboard drinking game could be fun.
I have a little bit of Savannah with me. Shhh...
C187

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Stag Camp 8.0

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:37 am

Sorry, I never even watched the show while it was on.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:19 pm

Now's the perfect time to catch up.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lemur » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:23 pm

JJ Abrams hates smart people.

thats why he fills his stuff with tons of boring tired old tropes and pointless symbolism that just serves to open the door for endless amounts of ret-cons which prop up his horrible ability to effectively tell a story through a visual medium and just shows him to be a clueless hack riding a wave of popularity.

JJ abrams sucks and so does nearly everything he has ever done.
lemur

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:26 pm

Now now, play nice. The playa's been filled with people who made camps or built art projects taken from default world movies, films, and tv shows for years. I even saw some dude talking about wanting to do a My Dinner With Andre camp...
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:28 pm

(cough, cough) raiders! (cough!)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:28 pm

Fortunately BRC's a big place, lemur. If you don't care for something, just keep moving. You'll find something completely different in no time.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Dr. Pyro » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:00 pm

I stole, uh, I mean liberated the idea for Barbie Death Camp from National Lampoon. Was that alright?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby lemur » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:40 pm

trilobyte wrote:Now now, play nice. The playa's been filled with people who made camps or built art projects taken from default world movies, films, and tv shows for years. I even saw some dude talking about wanting to do a My Dinner With Andre camp...

you clearly overestimate my desire to create such a camp.

in fact i have and had no intention to ever create such a camp and the creation of that thread was my attempt at "RADICAL SELF-EXPRESSION" and "PARTICIPATION"

(but im sure you know that)

In the spirit of "PARTICIPATION", "IMMEDIACY", "RADICAL SELF-EXPRESSION", and "DECOMMODIFICATION", I felt it is my duty as someone who is part of this community that practices "RADICAL INCLUSION" to point out in a previous post that I feel, whether it has been acceptable in the past or not, that creating a camp such as this feels like putting up a giant billboard for DISNEY/ABC/BADROBOT in the middle of the playa. In effect shunning one of the very core principals we all hold so dear, namely "DECOMMODIFICATION". Which is why I suggested putting up signs that give credit to the true creators behind LOST; Disney, ABC and BAD ROBOT productions.

Wholly and completely separate from this, and completely unrelated to Burning Man, The Playa, BRC, or THE DHARMA INITIATIVE 2012 Camp, I also feel that JJ Abrams is a very poor producer, director, film maker and creator. This fact is reflected in a subsequent post of mine.

It is thoroughly understandable that in your role as Moderator of this community that in the interest of "CIVIC RESPONSIBILITY" you would seek to, through "COMMUNAL EFFORT", encourage creative endeavors rather than allow an environment where people feel discouraged, abused or unwanted in their creative efforts. This is understandable. Also, thread drift is surely a concern of yours which is also an understandable concern.

it is my belief that my "PARTICIPATION" in this thread is not an attack on any individual, person, or camp and that while, perhaps, not "nice" my "PARTICIPATION" and "RADICAL SELF-EXPRESSION" has not been outside of the bounds of acceptability for this community, whether ePlaya or "brc" and wholly in the spirit of "RADICAL SELF-EXPRESSION" and "PARTICIPATION".

Additionally, I think the suggestion that if I do not like something i should "just keep moving" is one that stifles the kind of debate and discourse that a community that considers among its core values "IMMEDIACY", "RADICAL SELF-EXPRESSION", "PARTICIPATION", and "RADICAL SELF-RELIANCE", likely requires to foster the artistic and creative environment which is burgeoning with ideas and free from "COMMODIFICATION".

As Dr. Pyro so eloquently points out, even cherished playa landmarks like BARBIE DEATH CAMP AND WINE BISTRO have come about from a lack of "RADICAL SELF-RELIANCE", and it may be that THE DHARMA INITIATIVE camp has something great to offer this community in the form of amazing art and/or interactivity such that BARBIE DEATH CAMP AND WINE BISTRO has demonstrated over many years.

The discussion of the merits of such an endeavor, whether positive in praise or negative in dislike, surely only helps to strengthen the quality of discourse on such matters within our community and likely promotes better more creative and more enjoyable work that is enjoyed and embraced by many.

I think that we are far from the point where we must begin to throw away our "RADICAL SELF-RELIANCE", through lack of available ideas, and go to the ideas of other people, in the form of television, movies and film, in order to have something worth putting our efforts in to bringing to the annual Burning Man event.

With that said.. As evidenced by the work of Death Guild and their "THUNDERDOME", our community is very open to the re-use and appropriation of ideas taken from film, movies and television. The success and amount of interactivity and enjoyment that many have had at THUNDERDOME is evidence enough that these types of things Can and Do work.

As we saw in the "BASSHENGE" thread viewtopic.php?f=283&t=53089 open discourse, whether positive or negative, only serves to foster a better experience for all.
lemur

Postby trilobyte » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:50 pm

Open discourse is all fine and good, but you're just coming off as a burnier than thou jerk.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby lemur » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:04 pm

I can live with that
lemur

Postby Monkeypoo » Fri Feb 03, 2012 11:46 pm

O M G. If I get to come to BM this year, I will definitely come see your camp! I LOVE LOST!!!!!!
Thank goodness netflix has all the seasons & full episodes. I was heartbroken when it ended.
Monkeypoo

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Bahama Mamas!

Return to 2012 Theme Camps