Do you think this would be a good investment to bring to BM?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Do you think this would be a good investment to bring to

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:20 pm

You should have bought that boomerang. Boomerangs are cool. Could you use one as a speaker?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:22 pm

That is a a really good suggestion Crypto.

Also, due to the fact that he lives in a place where he can buy his food, it would allow him an appropriate amount of time to learn to hunt with said boomerang, thus making that a very smart investment...
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:25 pm

Ah, he can just fill up on roadkill like the rest of us.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:26 pm

I did get the Boomerang shorly afterwards as a gift.... the funny thing about boomerangs Is that as soon as you figger them out, you end up at the hospital with broken fingers.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:27 pm

Ouch. So, that was a bad investment. Unless the person who gave it to you didn't like you.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby BBadger » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:29 pm

tattoogoddess wrote:It's $20. Some of you spend more then that on glow sticks for the week. :?

Damn right! The best part about those $20 of glowsticks is that I could give them away, and they had immediate value and use. It's like spending money on food: you get direct and immediate use of what you paid for. That thing though? It's the kind of thing that you leave in a drawer because because of its "gee whiz" utility. It's not about cost, it's about value.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:36 pm

Tents don't have drawers, well...unless you invest in some and put them there yourself.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby Anubislg » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:00 pm

On the behalf of the Empire of Pockets, Lord High of Megaphone Repairs, I wish to weigh my opinion of this item:

Pockets Empire Approved!
Seem's like a fun thing.
Empire of Pockets
Anubislg

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:47 pm

BBadger wrote:
tattoogoddess wrote:It's $20. Some of you spend more then that on glow sticks for the week. :?

Damn right! The best part about those $20 of glowsticks is that I could give them away, and they had immediate value and use. It's like spending money on food: you get direct and immediate use of what you paid for. That thing though? It's the kind of thing that you leave in a drawer because because of its "gee whiz" utility. It's not about cost, it's about value.

ok beotchy Danielle is going to come out and I usally play very nice.

"immediate value and use" Who is to say I don't think this is a immediate value and that I will get a shit ton of use from it? I work in a salon. We get one fucking station. It's country. Enough said. Now if I had one of these and brought it into my chair I could stick it to anything and get music. Hell I could prob slap it right onto the hood dryer so my clients have music under there for a half hour.

I am a VERY techy kinda gal. I love toys. So this would not be just sitting in a drawer.

PS why not give the gift of kick ass music on the playa!? not every one wants to hear dub step,techno, house ect all the time. What if i want to break out a bit of Ella or BB king? Little tiny speakers just aint going to cut it!
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby BBadger » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:51 am

tattoogoddess wrote:ok beotchy Danielle is going to come out and I usally play very nice.

"immediate value and use" Who is to say I don't think this is a immediate value and that I will get a shit ton of use from it? I work in a salon. We get one fucking station. It's country. Enough said. Now if I had one of these and brought it into my chair I could stick it to anything and get music. Hell I could prob slap it right onto the hood dryer so my clients have music under there for a half hour.

And that's great! But why are you dropping $20 on something that just rattles surfaces? I'm not complaining that you want to play music, I'm saying that this rattling speaker suppository thing is not the thing to do it.

I am a VERY techy kinda gal. I love toys. So this would not be just sitting in a drawer.

I do too! But I have a lot of toys that seemed "oh neat, this gizmo does COOL THINGS" at the time, but when I got them they ended up as "wow, this is not so great..." Things sit in drawers not because they're something I wouldn't want to use, but because they end up outclassed by something that does the job better. Like getting a dull knife versus a sharp one.

PS why not give the gift of kick ass music on the playa!? not every one wants to hear dub step,techno, house ect all the time. What if i want to break out a bit of Ella or BB king? Little tiny speakers just aint going to cut it!

DO IT! But just like you're telling me: "little tiny speakers just ain't going to cut it!" Look at that thing. It's a little suction cup attached to some tiny cord powered by two AA batteries (or are they AAA batteries?). Do you think you're going to get much sound out of that? You'll only get, at maximum, the same amount of audio power as you put into the device. It doesn't matter how big a surface you attach that thing to, it's not going to produce "big sound."

Worse, even if that Rock It did have good power delivery, it's not constructed like a real speaker that is made to make the most of the power going into it for conversion to sound. Do you know what happens when you use an underpowered speaker, especially one with a diaphragm (the part that vibrates the air) that had a lot of mass? It has distorted and deadened sound. You can't vibrate surfaces fast enough to make high-volume high-frequency sound (the treble), nor move enough air for any decent bass. This is why speakers are made of thin paper, not car hoods or window panes. So what do you get? Annoying radio-esque music with little bass, muted treble, and resonances depending on the shape of the object. Listen to the video you posted: does that really sound good? Sure it has volume, but volume doesn't mean it sounds good.

So yeah, crank that BB King! But crank it on something good! Crank it on a real speaker that people will want to hear. You're doing your music an injustice when it sounds distorted, tinny, and hollow. This is why I'm saying that this Rock It thing will be sitting in a drawer: you won't even want to listen to it. You'll probably bring something better, or someone else will have the better speakers and you'll gravitate towards that. You could drop the money on a speaker equally as portable and cheap that sounds better like this (this is not an endorsement). You could "invest" more money into something even bigger and powerful, and even set it on a counter at your salon so you can actually produce sound that will defeat the "All my exes live in Texas" streaming over the radio in that salon.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby moonrise » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:52 am

I think you should bring the "death chair" shown in your youtube vid, lol!

seriously...the gizmo will be AWESOME for your work station, love the idea of sticking it to the hair dryers!! and go ahead bring it to BM, but the dust will wreak havoc with it's stickiness i bet ya, most likely it'll get ruined and not stick when you get home home...sooo, hmmm, once you hear the indescribable music playing 24/7 at burning man, you'll understand a bit better, the gizmo may just be too tiny to bother taking outta the box, YMMV :)

WAIT UNTIL YOU HEAR BURNING MAN NOISE TG! NEW YORK CITY CAN SEEM QUIET AFTERWARDS, HAHA!
(bring ear plugs for sleepin' ONLY a few bucks and sooo worth it! lmao)
It's been over a MONTH and I can STILL hear the music/noise of the burn, lmao! (I need to get out more often)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Elorrum » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:31 am

Tactile transducer speakers are cool. You run around sticking them on all sorts of things. I like the foam core board used for presentations. Not too loud, but they pack small. Good idea if you just want camp tunes, near field. Benefit of this one is that it comes with an amp. I'd say this is more than a toy
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby graidawg » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:59 am

I want one! the whooe fun of having people trying to work out how my hat is playing music or the tent oh the endless fun. pluus i drive a big ass van for work i wonder what it would sound like attached to that?
o it could be loud speaker for my phone! oh what fun
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:59 am

oneeyeddick wrote:I did get the Boomerang shorly afterwards as a gift.... the funny thing about boomerangs Is that as soon as you figger them out, you end up at the hospital with broken fingers.

*noting OED home movies from childhood*

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby bubbavic » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:19 am

Hmm...interesting. I have a some different uses for the thing.

1) turning random playa art into giant speakers anyone?

2) attaching it to random in-use porta potties to "enhance" the user's experiences

3) turn your playa bike into a mobile sound system

4) turn yourself into a mobile sound system and wear an led sound sensitive costume...combo = walking sound and lightshow!
aka FlyingSquirrel =)
bubbavic

Postby delle » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:42 am

I love this thing. Wish I had one this year.....

For those of us with space issues, it's really a great little option.... I mean, we've GOT water bottles, right? And plastic tubs...

....wonder if you could put a splitter into the ipod and run to two bottles.

There are hours spent in your shade structure. That's what it's there for, right? Having music is nice little option - Especially when you've got guests over. Lugging decent speakers for it (and whatever it takes to power them) maybe not so much. THAT seems like overkill to me, when you can have this tiny, portable thing instead.

Looks like the kids might just be getting some of these for Christmas! I'm sure they'll be used often, and promote a whole lot of fun as they think up places to hook them up to. Thanks for introducing it!!!!

:D
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby delle » Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:57 am

bubbavic wrote:2) attaching it to random in-use porta potties to "enhance" the user's experiences

Hahahahahahaaaa!!!! Good Lord, Yes!!!!
He soars not high who fears to fall
delle

Postby trilobyte » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:25 am

Moving this over to Q&A...
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby AntiM » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:16 am

My house and our Burning Gear Lean-to are overflowing with cool gadgets, costumes and camp stuff. Mostly lights and such, but yeah, we get there and some things languish. I excel at wasting money on minutiae.

I once bought a Skull Candy hydration pack, with speakers built into the straps. Way cool. I thought it would be a good idea for "out and about" on the playa. Not in camp, in Hushville there is no amplified music of any kind... but I only used it once out there. Ended up mailing it to a nephew. Just too much else going on.

If it brings you delight at the thought, buy it, bring it. Come back to this thread and let us know how it went.

And yeah. MyLarry's speaker shirt was fun. Will be more fun when I get around to a memory card with customized sound!!!! (thank you ThinkGeek and Big Bang Theory)
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:48 am

trilobyte wrote:Moving this over to Q&A...

Ah, that's why it was showing my own posts as "new." Mystery solved.

And, everyone, Bbadger is as entitled to his opinion as the rest of us, and maybe he's developing a siege mentality about it. Go easy on him.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby essjay » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:25 pm

I agree with Bbadger that the music will sound like shit . . .

. . . BUT, for $20, the "conversation-starter" potential for that gadget is endless and there are many fun things you can do with it. (Turning a new friend's costume/bike/whatever into a speaker with a little sleight-of-hand would be a great way to mess with people . . .) So, as long as you aren't expecting great sound and want to have fun with it - it's a great purchase!

Now that a few of you have ordered them, please post back with results of your experiments on various objects.
essjay

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:51 pm

ok im going to get a bit techie here.
What if you took a box and put say a piece of saran wrap or parchment paper on the opening. Would it make it sound better?
tattoogoddess

Postby trilobyte » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:14 pm

Physics and sound engineering 101... No, it wouldn't. If it were possible to get significant amplification at any reasonable quality with that kind of method, you can be sure others would have been doing it for some time. If you don't really care about the quality and just want to try it as a toy, go for it.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby jkisha » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:19 pm

Well thinking back to how easily I was entertained by my telephone made of string and two cans, I could imagine this holding my attention for awhile.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:35 pm

Exactly...I am gonna take two of them and run them as left and right with a channel splitter and make a cardbord geometric helmet and egg it out on the exterior with foam.

Kinda like an eggchair but for your head instead.
oneeyeddick

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:13 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:make a cardbord geometric helmet and egg it out on the exterior with foam.

Kinda like an eggchair but for your head instead.

What the hell are you talking about? That sounds like jibber jabber. I need a picture. :D
tattoogoddess

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:11 pm

Gimme a couple of weeks, i just ordered them and they don't ship till Mon or Tue.
oneeyeddick

Postby tattoogoddess » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:17 pm

I mean like a drawing or something :)
tattoogoddess

Postby oneeyeddick » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:27 pm

I am not much for making plans, on the fly is how I roll.
oneeyeddick

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:58 am

oneeyeddick wrote:I am not much for making plans, on the fly is how I roll.

(Roll eye.)
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks