Do you think this would be a good investment to bring to BM?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Do you think this would be a good investment to bring to BM?

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:53 pm

The Rock-it 2.0
I was thinking of getting it and a big ass refrigerator box for camp music. Bigger the item bigger the noise.
What do you think. Yay or Nay?

maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Re: Do you think this would be a good investment to bring to

Postby goathead » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:00 pm

wonder how it would sound on the back of a blue sauna hut?
:twisted:
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby jkisha » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:06 pm

Have to say the video was entertaining.
Interesting concept.
Bring it to BM? Why not?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:07 pm

My first year, I lugged a receiver and speakers all the way across the country for a camp stereo.. and didn't even pull it out of the box once.

- There is music and stuff all around you on incredible systems

- Sitting in your camp doing nothing and listening to music is probably one of the last things you'll feel like doing

You're over thinking this, hun. Bring yourself and your basics and try not to sweat the small shit like solar lamps and stereos until you know what the reality is. No matter what your perception or what you think the event is like, I can almost promise you.. it's not. Just.. go.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby jkisha » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:17 pm

My thinking has always been that it's better to bring it and not use it than to not bring it and then wish you had. It's not like you can take a quick trip to the store for forgotten items.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:30 pm

I kinda know my self and feel like I will most likely want to hang out in camp for a bit and just chill out and meet new people who come by during the day. Re-coupe,chill, cool off some and rehydrate. I am not as young as I used to be lol. Plus who knows, get some crazy music on there and we can start a dance party!
Who is in for some MMMBop,Spice Girls and the Macarena?!

Plus it only uses 2 AA batteries. So if other people in the camp have a request then can hook there Ipod up to it to? Also what would happen if I stuck it to the man ( he he I made a funny ;) ) Would the whole Playa hear it? :D
tattoogoddess

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:34 pm

True..

Hey, do whatcha like :D It's easier for you since you're driving and not flying, too.
junglesmacks

Postby Trishntek » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:23 pm

I was wondering whatever happened to the transducer concept. A friend back in the '70's had two that we used to make a speaker out of a storage shed. It was 110V setup with about 120W peak output. They were a stereo pair which kicked ass with Edgar Winter,,,, but I digress,,,,

Would be curious about the power supply and battery consumption. I would bring one if you feel the need for personal music, but I don't believe this particular setup would be an effective sound system for a theme camp.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:30 pm

no it wouldnt be the sound system for a theme camp. Just to have fun at the camp and listen to what ever. those little speakers suck for ipods.
tattoogoddess

Postby maryanimal » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:33 pm

junglesmacks wrote:My first year, I lugged a receiver and speakers all the way across the country for a camp stereo.. and didn't even pull it out of the box once.

- There is music and stuff all around you on incredible systems

- Sitting in your camp doing nothing and listening to music is probably one of the last things you'll feel like doing

You're over thinking this, hun. Bring yourself and your basics and try not to sweat the small shit like solar lamps and stereos until you know what the reality is. No matter what your perception or what you think the event is like, I can almost promise you.. it's not. Just.. go.

Amen to that JS, I had visions of grandeur of what to bring to the burn. Being my first burn this year I wanted to bring a small hot tub, have a bar, even though I don't drink, serve food, blah blah blah...I just brought the basics and I still brought some things I didn't need.

I say...bring what you desire, but chances are, you'll be out having fun and won't even need it!
Sometimes I'm confused by what I think is really obvious. But what I think is really obvious obviously isn't obvious.
maryanimal

Burning Since: 2011

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:39 pm

I think bringing one of those is a great idea, regardless of everyone else playing music(which isn't true at all if you come in a week or two early).
MyLarry had a speaker/tee-shirt that was a frikkin trip!

You would get your money's worth out of just showing it to people, hell...you could make an acoustic costume and you could Rock-it while you walk it!

Rock-it!
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:49 pm

I like your thinking!! I may just do that!
tattoogoddess

Postby BBadger » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:59 pm

Let's say, for argument sake, that nobody in the world brought speaker systems to BM and you're going to bring the only set for your camp.

Are you going to bring some pill-shaped gizmo that vibrates surfaces for sound, or are you going to bring some real speakers?

Bring the speakers. Ditch the suppository speaker.

Why?

Because the very best you can do with that suction cup thing--the very best sound--is if you attached that thing to a speaker diaphragm in a correctly designed box, which is exactly what you'll get if you bring... REGULAR SPEAKERS.

There's a reason nobody makes speakers out of stove ducts, or microwave doors, or the printer cases that the commercial demonstrates "sound" coming from. The unscientific reason is: it'll sound like utter shit. The scientific reason: because there are much better materials, designs, and audio sources than making oddball surfaces vibrate. Listen to the shit sound that thing makes in that video. Notice how it sounds like some AM radio from the 1970s? 40 years later and people still want to pay $50 for utter shit sound?

I'm also puzzled as to why the hell would you even think that you need to bring some tiny vibrational speaker system like that at Burning Man? You've already made the investment in getting to BM, in hauling an assload of shit there in a car and probably a trailer, bought enough supplies to be there for a whole week... and you think you should be listening to camp music--in mono no less--from the vibrations of your card table? Or your car hood? Or the side of your cooler? Vibrations made from some goofy device that uses 2 AA batteries? COME ON! Think bigger and better. You don't want to listen to some cave-man sound system. Even computer desktop speakers will sound better. Spend your $50 on some bookshelf speakers that you'll actually want to listen to, not that.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby jkisha » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:04 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:I think bringing one of those is a great idea, regardless of everyone else playing music(which isn't true at all if you come in a week or two early).
MyLarry had a speaker/tee-shirt that was a frikkin trip!

You would get your money's worth out of just showing it to people, hell...you could make an acoustic costume and you could Rock-it while you walk it!

Rock-it!

+10
JK
jkisha

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:14 pm

BBadger wrote:. Spend your $50 on some bookshelf speakers that you'll actually want to listen to, not that.

FYI on your harshiness, those little things are only $20, you will easily get your $20 of fun out of it, even before you break it at BM.

I am ordering two and giving one to myself for Xmas.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:16 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:
BBadger wrote:. Spend your $50 on some bookshelf speakers that you'll actually want to listen to, not that.

FYI on your harshiness, those little things are only $20, you will easily get your $20 of fun out of it, even before you break it at BM.

If I make the joke, I'm a pervert. If I don't, I'm a slacker...........what am I to do?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:18 pm

those things aren't waterproof, Yggy...
oneeyeddick

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:30 pm

BBadg is a snarky sonovabitch 85% of the time.. but.. he speaks the truth.
junglesmacks

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:36 pm

I see other possibilities...

Locating a boa wearer at its campsite and finding out what Motorhead sounds like played through a tent, dome, or yurt...

Finding some one who is totally wasted and finding out what the Muppets sound like through a bartop...

Think outside the box...
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:38 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:those things aren't waterproof, Yggy...

some liquids are thicker than water
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby trilobyte » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:03 pm

It doesn't seem like a very good solution, based on the video. If it were me, I can think of a lot of other playa prep stuff to spend the money on. As you plan your trip and your camp takes shape, see if someone has an old stereo or boombox they'd be willing to bring. If you can cover your sound system needs without shelling out extra bucks, you're ahead of the game. But money may not be a concern for you, it's your call.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby BBadger » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:08 pm

oneeyeddick wrote:FYI on your harshiness, those little things are only $20, you will easily get your $20 of fun out of it, even before you break it at BM.

Sure I didn't sugar-coat the message. The OP asked if that Rock It thing is a "good investment." It is not. An investment is something you'll want to keep and use for a long time. An investment is something that pays you dividends even after you've used up its "$20 worth of fun."

"Only" $20? Still too high. Certainly too high for a disposable gadget. I can have $20 worth of fun at the tables in Vegas too, but that's no investment either. Maybe for $3 or something it would be worth getting one of those things to attach to a porta-potty for some amusement--if it came with some memory to play music with. More than that, and it's some overpriced, lo-fi contraption will be purchased, laughed at, and then tossed into a drawer to never be used again. What a great "investment."

Nobody will want to listen to your 1980s pop ballads using that thing; certainly not at Burning Man. "Whoa man, your weird-ass cell phone is vibrating on that chair there. I didn't know we got cell phone reception out here." You can't even get good volume out of them without additional power cords, and if it's not going to be a good portable "speaker" what exactly is the point of the thing?

Buying dumb shit like this is why many poor people don't live rich. You don't need lots of money to live well, you just need to spend the money you do have on things that are worth buying, i.e. investments. Get something good, something you'll want to bring back more than once. Something that isn't just "$20 worth of fun" and the remainder not worth a dime.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:13 pm

MOOP_Nazi wrote:I see other possibilities...

Locating a boa wearer at its campsite and finding out what Motorhead sounds like played through a tent, dome, or yurt...

Finding some one who is totally wasted and finding out what the Muppets sound like through a bartop...

Think outside the box...

LMAO!!! omg soooo wrong but soooooo funny! Thank you I needed a good laugh I have had a horrible night.
These two ideas right here I think make it worth spending $20 to get them!

I wonder if I could some how turn my self into some crazy ass character with some type of voice track or something hidden inside me. Man now you got me thinking!
Last edited by tattoogoddess on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tattoogoddess

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:16 pm

I just relish the thought of tracking a boa to its lair and waking its keeper up with "The Ace of Spades"....
"Lemonade is a lie!"
MOOP_Nazi

Postby deutlich » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:28 pm

maryanimal wrote:
Amen to that JS, I had visions of grandeur of what to bring to the burn. Being my first burn this year I wanted to bring a small hot tub, have a bar, even though I don't drink, serve food, blah blah blah...I just brought the basics and I still brought some things I didn't need.

I say...bring what you desire, but chances are, you'll be out having fun and won't even need it!

I've already gone up and down and back and forth about what I'm bringing only to change my mind again and then I finally decided -- enough of this. I need to collect the stuff I *really* need (set of tools, water bottle, sleeping arrangements, food, clothes, the ticket, etc.) and go from there. I have this unwavering habit of over thinking things and sometimes that leads me to stress myself out and occasionally bail on an idea all together. I have no intention of the latter happening, but my past of doing precisely this has shown me that I need to sit back, stop sweatin' stuff and focus on the prize. Everyone's different, of course, but I definitely have to make the effort not to over think things.
| Liebe alles | 2012 Burgin |
Avi: http://archann.deviantart.com/
deutlich

Postby BBadger » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:35 pm

There was a lot of "shit" I brought thinking it'd be fun, or neat, or cool, but most of it ended up staying in the box because it was just a pain to drag it out, or it wasn't such a great idea at BM rather than at home, and with so much better stuff to amuse myself with I didn't need whatever I brought from home. I'd so rather spend $20 on some awesome snacks or beer or something, rather than some sound making gizmo that I'd bring but wish I had left at home (or rather, never bought in the first place).

For those who actually do pony up the cash for those $20 Rock Its this year, give us all some feedback on whether you saw any use of it at BM. Maybe I'm wrong, but my gut feeling is that these things will see virtually no use.

BBadger

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:06 pm

OK BBadger, we get it, you are trying to get across some sort of lifestyle choice of not buying stuff that you might have fun with.

Good thing you weren't around when I made the choice to buy a yo-yo over a boomerang when I was a child, I prolly would have ended up with some baseball cards and those are just no fun at all.

maybe the op should have subbed the word "choice" over "investment", as ANYTHING you buy specifically for BM is never an investment.
But sure, it ain't gonna make a good boombox for her camp, but if you watch some of the videos you could definately have a bunch of fun using peoples skulls as the speaker, as well as the blue suanas, and carports, and army helmets, etc.etc.

Gosh I kinda wish I hadn't bought those flaming shoelaces now.
oneeyeddick

Postby tattoogoddess » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:11 pm

I all honesty if you want to bring up that argument I shouldn't be spending money to go burning man at all. I should be paying creditors for medical bills. Bit I want to have FUN and spend money to go here.

The posts of what I could do with these is more so what I was asking. of cores $20 for this would be a fun investment. It's $20. Some of you spend more then that on glow sticks for the week. :?
tattoogoddess

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:14 pm

Don't sweat it... They are fighting like they are married.. Just stand back and let them swing.

Fuck it - I just bought a new gas mask..

Of course if there is an NBC attack it WILL be a good investment...
"Lemonade is a lie!"
MOOP_Nazi

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:17 pm

tattoogoddess wrote: It's $20. Some of you spend more then that on glow sticks for the week. :?

I don't, I am a darkwad and the money I save enables me to buy 2 of these little fellas(I already ordered them).

I will let ya know how reliable they are in about a week and a half, and i have some boxes almost the size of a fridge to test them on for ya too. :wink:
oneeyeddick

Next

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks