Christina: Queen of BRC

Re: Christina: Queen of BRC

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:45 am

Well he's not alone here for sure, there are a couple of camps where that appears to be the raison d'être for 95% of the posts (and don't get me started on the whole Kit thing).

That kind of stuff has the opposite effect on me, it comes off as trying too hard and in the end makes me think much less of them and, ultimately, avoid them like the plague. We're already inundated to the point of saturation in defaultia, IMO, put more effort into whatever it may be and it should sell itself, but that's just my take on it. If you're running a camp for a decade without any real change/additions or organic growth of concept, while that's certainly your prerogative, please don't shove it down my throat at every turn because it will have the exact opposite of the desired result.

As far as Kickstarter goes I dont have an issue per se UNTIL "rewards" come in to play then it's just appealing to the baser consumer-driven instincts. That said, I understand why those trying to raise funds do it, sadly, without it they might not be able to raise the funds. IMO it says more about those donating than those that seek donations. When I donate to art projects I specifically ask them to withold the "gift" and that gesture seems to be appreciated.

As far as CAMPS using Kickstarter that's just unseemly. Gather enough people interested in supporting the concept (read dues-paying campmates), or do it somewhere else and charge at the door. it's either a gift to the community or it's not.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:07 pm

jkisha wrote:We have already accepted the kickstarter concept, sponsorship can't be that far behind.

Sponsorship already exists at some of the big bar camps- you don't notice because they don't hang the brand paraphernalia, but trust me they're out there taking photo's of people partying with the brand(s).

Burning Man is a lot more "commodified" than it appears on the surface...
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby lemur » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:01 pm

Sic Pup wrote:Am I the only one confused about the need for promotion when they claim they are restricted in terms of capacity?

they need money to pay their DJ's !
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:38 pm

Sic Pup wrote:Am I the only one confused about the need for promotion when they claim they are restricted in terms of capacity?

Quite simply, they want YOU to pay for THEIR party.. :roll:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby PaulTahoe » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:40 pm

Hi guys - I'm not sure where this is all going, but the thread certainly doesn't embody the core of why we posted this topic, or why we are trying to keep Christina alive year-round within the community. All the negative angles and pokes certainly doesn't encompass the spirit of our Burning Man community nor does it reflect accurately our purpose here. As an 11 year burner and one that takes pride in what Burning Man stands for, I can assure you that the only purpose in posting here was to communicate and interact with people that may have enjoyed the art. I'm not here to brag, boast, etc...it's not who I am or who we are. We are just a group of fun-loving Burners who have worked very hard to present something special to OUR community. This is a shared effort and one we can all enjoy for years to come. I personally support year-round efforts for installations, camps, and art cars, so we thought creating a fan page was a good idea to keep in touch with those who are interested. That's it. No hidden agenda I hope you all understand our motive for being here is purely out of fun and keeping in touch. :D :D
PaulTahoe

Postby lemur » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:04 pm

PaulTahoe wrote:All the negative angles and pokes certainly doesn't encompass the spirit of our Burning Man community

since when ?!

i think that the community here has valid concerns..

negativity and pokes are very much in the spirit of this hard working hard living community.

"YER DOIN' IT WRONG!!"
"FUCK YER DAY!!"

...are two good examples of this.

the way i read your recent post is like some sorta damage control.. get yer message out thing....

this is an open forum, the subject goes where it goes organically based upon what the community decides...... if you'd prefer to steer it away from the negative things about Christina im sure you can TRY.... but.,. people will post what they feel belongs..
lemur

Postby jkisha » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:47 pm

+1
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:31 pm

Who's paying for the sponsorship on fb?
Or is that what they mean by that "create an ad" button?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby lemur » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:58 pm

"Based on your targeting options, Facebook suggests a bid of $0.75 per click. You may pay up to this much per click, but you will likely pay less.
Note: Tax is not included in the bids, budgets and other amounts shown."
lemur

Postby jkisha » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:59 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Who's paying for the sponsorship on fb?
Or is that what they mean by that "create an ad" button?

Yes. They (the owner of the FB page looking for likes) are paying for the ad. Who knows where that money is coming from though.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby Kinetik V » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:24 pm

I clicked LIKE. If a Kickstarter link shows up on down the road I have no problem with that either.

I happen to truly "like" the effort the people behind Christina are putting forth and I wish other playa projects would do more of the same.
When the snow is flying in January and I need inspiration to go work on BM projects, Christina's page will help with that.
In short if it represents Burning Man in a positive way I'm going to try and support it.
And that support is there even if I never get to ride it. If Christina has Lake Lahontan playa dust on her hull...I don't care how I learned about it, I'm just glad I did find out about it...and I wish her and her crew well.
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby Bitterman » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:58 am

I would like to see the chaos by advertising a "New Coke" camp in BrC, which is of course an "art" project, consisting of glued down plexi-glass covered tables full of flour.
my kickstarter goal will be thousands,
and I will also insist that "daft Punk will be there", that I am in fact a non-bloodline nobility of impudent standing in brc, nay, a " brc allstar", so that i may relate my societal standing to all of the phat wubz bro-lectro listening serfs who only exist to serve me in the form of product placement photo mugging that will resurface in "W" magazine blogs.

yes, it will be thus, and woe to those who opine against me and my self-imagined importance in all things.

or something.
Bah! Psshhh!
Bitterman

Postby Dr Helix » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:58 am

The ad appeared on my FB page today.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Syncronicity1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:21 am

IMO Cristina embodies the true spirit of Burning Man. A small grass roots effort funded entirely by a person who's only objective was because it would be great art, and fun for everyone. It has been shared with a lot of folks, not becuase they had something to trade or give, but becuase of the spirit of Burning Man. I know they can't fit everyone on board so, yes, not everyone will get to ride on her. Pretty simple really. Would you prefer it be dangerous?

They don't pay their DJs and they are not asking anyone to do so. They don't ask you to pay for THEIR party, so that's just not right either. I really don't understand the negativity on this thread. It's sort of like, ' how dare you ask us to like something that you feel proud to be a part of''. Huh? Like in all art, if you dont' like it - don't. They dont' want you to give them anything else.

The conspiracy theories miss the point. Cristina doesn't have some corporate sponsor or hidden agenda. At burning man, if you want to look over and around the sponsored gigs, art, ego, and try to put down the efforts of a very small group of long term burners who are proud of what they've accomplished and their art - than I'd say you can't see the forest through the trees.

What I like about the culture of Burning Man is the spirit of unconditional acceptance. Of course that doesn't mean you must like me, my art, my friends, my values or anything, but that you respect and hopefully try to understand my position. These negative unfounded positions without adequate discourse are not in the vein of the unconditinoal acceptance of Burning Man.
Syncronicity1

Postby jkisha » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:38 am

Perception is often reality.
JK
jkisha

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:49 am

Syncronicity1 wrote:It has been shared with a lot of folks, not becuase they had something to trade or give, but becuase of the spirit of Burning Man.

Lol.. bullshit. I mean.. you DID go to TTITD this year and you DO know what you're talking about..

...right?

:lol:
junglesmacks

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:23 am

Syncronicity1 wrote:IMO Cristina embodies the true spirit of Burning Man.

There are people on this board who stopped reading right there. The definition of "true spirit of Burning Man" happens to be "that which the speaker approves of." The definition of "speaker" in that context is vulgar.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby Syncronicity1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:32 am

@jungle..snacks...

...right.
Syncronicity1

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:43 am

Syncronicity1 wrote:@jungle..snacks...

...right.

Hey PaulTahoe's sock, how ya doin? :lol:
junglesmacks

Postby Syncronicity1 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:56 am

Before you speak about the 'sock' comment - remember, 'it's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.'
Syncronicity1

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:59 am

Syncronicity1 wrote:remember, 'it's better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.'

Oh, the irony :roll:
junglesmacks

Postby Bitterman » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:41 am

"unconditional acceptance of Burning Man" is an old, old debate topic, and
may only apply to those with blinders on, but it is a staple, so here is my latest useless rant:

i go because i like that the odds of meeting decent humans there is a bit higher, but it's a pay-for-play festival, so that intrinsically means that there will be a class-system and d-bags to navigate through on the way towards your personal level of accepted acceptance.
or you could never leave your camp, and it'll come to you.

nevermind, what i meant to say via my unfunny megaphone routine was
"SPRINGBREAK!"
or
"i thought it was cool to go through your cooler, dude"
or
insert mangled literate quote here"_____________________________"

Bitter, Man
more a fan of jimmy somervile than twain reenactors, and fook all about spelling and the continued misuse of "their" and "there"
Bah! Psshhh!
Bitterman

Postby Kinetik V » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:47 am

I clicked Like.
Then I clicked "Share".

Let 'em rant and rave. Christina is just as much a part of Burning Man as anything else.
If they don't like what they see relief is only a mouse click away...
Kinetic V
~~~~~~
When you finally let go, only then will you learn how to live.
I bring order to chaos. And I bring chaos to those who deserve it.
Kinetik V

Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: Sanctuary West

Postby ygmir » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:50 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
Syncronicity1 wrote:IMO Cristina embodies the true spirit of Burning Man.

There are people on this board who stopped reading right there. The definition of "true spirit of Burning Man" happens to be "that which the speaker approves of." The definition of "speaker" in that context is vulgar.

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby trilobyte » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:51 am

I cringe whenever I hear anyone use phrases "embodies the true spirit of Burning Man," unless it immediately follows the words "for me." That's such a subjective thing (Burning Man means something different to everyone), to try and turn it into an objective statement just somehow makes it seem less genuine, or like someone's trying to force their opinion on others. It also seems a little misplaced, since I can't for the life of me imagine anything that embodies the spirit of the event running ads on Facebook for any reason. But that's just me.

I think all the bickering is making both sides look bad at this point. We get it, they turned a lot of people away, ran a lot of private cruises, and had the audacity to beg people for booze for private parties, and some people really don't care for the vehicle. The issues have been raised and points made, the ball is now in the Christina crew's court and they'll have a chance to improve next year. On the flip side, it's understandable that members of that crew would be defensive - they worked long and hard on their project and sank a lot of cash into making it happen, their experiences were likely vastly different, and the harsh words sting. Who wouldn't defend their friends and campmates under similar circumstances?
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ygmir » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:55 am

trilobyte wrote:I cringe whenever I hear anyone use phrases "embodies the true spirit of Burning Man," unless it immediately follows the words "for me." That's such a subjective thing (Burning Man means something different to everyone), to try and turn it into an objective statement just somehow makes it seem less genuine, or like someone's trying to force their opinion on others. It also seems a little misplaced, since I can't for the life of me imagine anything that embodies the spirit of the event running ads on Facebook for any reason. But that's just me.

I think all the bickering is making both sides look bad at this point. We get it, they turned a lot of people away, ran a lot of private cruises, and had the audacity to beg people for booze for private parties, and some people really don't care for the vehicle. The issues have been raised and points made, the ball is now in the Christina crew's court and they'll have a chance to improve next year. On the flip side, it's understandable that members of that crew would be defensive - they worked long and hard on their project and sank a lot of cash into making it happen, their experiences were likely vastly different, and the harsh words sting. Who wouldn't defend their friends and campmates under similar circumstances?

well said, Trilobyte:

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby PaulTahoe » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:18 pm

I would like to pause the debate for one second and focus on the reason I created this thread --- Christina. There are other forums on these message boards where you can debate the meaning of Burning Man or dissect people's motives. Please take a moment and and few this amazing piece on Christina - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3CMfmpyBX0 I created the fan page for the simple reason of sharing pieces like this. Thank you!!
PaulTahoe

Postby unjonharley » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:31 pm

After seeing that,, I didn't miss any thing on that boat..

If they want "me" all over the place, let 'em.. The more yuppy raver they load on that boat the fewer I have to see looking the other way..

me me me me me look at me me me..
unjonharley

Postby jkisha » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:06 pm

I guess the more I read this what bothers me the most is the level of self promotion. I like to talk about stuff I do and bring to the burn, but I don't setup a webpage and expect people to give me a vote of approval/acceptance; nor do I proclaim that the way I burn is the embodiment of BM. If Christina was a great as they think it is you would think that their page would attract people to like it organically by word of mouth. I haven't seen tuna guys or burning man or any other camp take out paid advertisements to get followers. But I guess finding this acceptable is just the next logical progression from finding kickstarter acceptable. Times they are a changing, I guess.
JK
jkisha

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Fri Oct 07, 2011 4:08 pm

Ok.. so it isn't just me...

Whew..

I thought I was out of touch...
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Art & Performance