WE NEED STRUCTURE for YOU(R) WOMEN!

Rides, Resources, Obtainium.
This a GIFTING forum only - no buying, selling, or bartering.

WE NEED STRUCTURE for YOU(R) WOMEN!

Postby nihala » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:31 am

Greetings Burners!
Let me introduce myself, i am Nihala, Priestess of the Red Tent in the Women's Oasis.
I hate to introduce myself in a flurry, but we have an emergency.

I just found out that we no longer have a structure!

The Red Tent is a sanctuary for women who are bleeding, and a large percentage of women on the playa will be having this experience. We are offering classes, and a space for women to just
BE. We have all the decor, the people, the intentions, it is going to be a very powerful place to be and will make a profound difference in women's lives and the lives of people who interact with them.
Not just on the playa, but in the world!
We are passionate, committed, and have a vision to fulfill!

Here is what we are looking for:
Ideal structure: 15' - 20' diameter but if you have SOMETHING let me know IMMEDIATELY!

or...

A parachute (preferrably RED, but if you got it, we'll take it)
or 400 sq. ft. of fabric

Thank you endlessly for your support, foward this to anyone you this can help, and know that we will be there with everything we need!

Nihala

nihala
nihala

Postby Isotopia » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:31 am

Call me clueless but I never figured out why women with 'moon sickness' had to self-segregate with other women.

I know that the anthropological literature is full of references where this is a cultural norm but for the most part it suggests to me that the concept was introduced in said cultures that tend to be patriarchal or male dominated.

Doesn't this idea sort of peprpetuate the shame factor?
Isotopia

Postby Isotopia » Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:35 am

BTW, this brings up an idea that came up earlier in the year of some women who wanted to put together 'Cramp Camp.' the idea was that given the theme of heavenly bodies and such that the menstral cycle would be a great thing to attach to and that just after Manfall on burn night that a group of women would collectively carry a 10' long tampon full of explosives with a string converted into a fuse and toss it into the pyre.

Loved the idea.
Isotopia

Postby Kim79 » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:02 pm

Isotopia wrote:Call me clueless but I never figured out why women with 'moon sickness' had to self-segregate with other women.

I know that the anthropological literature is full of references where this is a cultural norm but for the most part it suggests to me that the concept was introduced in said cultures that tend to be patriarchal or male dominated.

Thank you for saying that. In fact, the idea that women NEED to bleed once a month at all is one rooted in patriarchal culture. The male doctor who invented oral contraception was hoping to get support from the catholic church by stopping the oral hormones for one week, there by causing a women to menstruate.
When I stared using the Nuva Ring my female doctor suggested that I could use it the whole month and avoid menstruation. I chose to do this out of convenience, not out of shame
Kim79

Postby Icepack » Sat Aug 21, 2004 4:18 pm

Isotopia wrote:Call me clueless but I never figured out why women with 'moon sickness' had to self-segregate with other women.

Don't know if it perpetuate's the shame factor or not, but I think the camp is a great idea myself.

Women who live together or work together will cycle together. So camping with folks who you don't normally live with does have the potential to throw some women off of their normal cycle and may cause some of them to bleed when it might not otherwise be their time of month. Having a camp geared towards women who are bleeding might be a very nice place to go when this occurs. I would think you could find a few ladies there willing to gift someone a tampon or a few supplies if you were caught unprepared, to hold you over until you could get to Gerlach and buy a week's worth. I haven't seen this camp myself, but I can imagine some possibilities for it. A private portapotty with a bit more elbow room than the traditional potties, towels, a heating pad, feminine products, good tea to drink, some painkillers for the cramps, etc etc etc....

Never mind the shame or embarrassment, there are just some comforts you might like to have when it's that red time.

Last year I went on birth control pills specifically so that I would not bleed while I was on the playa. But I hate playing tricks on my body, and making it think it's pregnant when it isn't just doesn't seem fair. So this year I just decided to let the calendar and cycles fall where they may. Fortunately, it appears that I will NOT get mine while I am there, but will get it as soon as I get home. But as I say, cycles can get thrown off so I may be surprised myself.

unfortunately I don't have a shade structure for the camp.
Icepack

Return to 2004 Share