Christina: Queen of BRC

Christina: Queen of BRC

Postby PaulTahoe » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:04 pm

Christina: the 65ft land yacht who has served up many delicious memories on the playa, has her own "fan" page. Keep up with the creators, past/present pictures/videos, and share your own stories.

http://www.facebook.com/ChristinaYacht

Hope to see you there!
PaulTahoe

Re: Christina: Queen of BRC

Postby lemur » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:19 pm

it's gonna have to get a lot gayer to be the Queen of BRC...
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby trilobyte » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:23 pm

I'm giving this a nudge to 2011 Art & Performance.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:34 pm

Pretentious much?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby jkisha » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:36 pm

My story is that I never got to ride on it. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:45 pm

jkisha wrote:My story is that I never got to ride on it. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

You're not the only one. This year the girl and I were sitting on the back of the truck one morning, when a guy bikes up to us and does the whole small talk before asking for something spiel. He finally asks us if we have any spare liquor to gift for a party later on the Christina that he was bartending for. We told him that we only had about a half a bottle left and a few beers, but could maybe be persuaded by a ride.. to which we got a sneer and a quick pedal off. My experience/observation through the years is that it's one of the "members only" art cars.
junglesmacks

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:47 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
jkisha wrote:My story is that I never got to ride on it. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

You're not the only one. This year the girl and I were sitting on the back of the truck one morning, when a guy bikes up to us and does the whole small talk before asking for something spiel. He finally asks us if we have any spare liquor to gift for a party later on the Christina that he was bartending for. We told him that we only had about a half a bottle left and a few beers, but could maybe be persuaded by a ride.. to which we got a sneer and a quick pedal off. My experience/observation through the years is that it's one of the "members only" art cars.

yup, my experience, too............fuck'em........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby jkisha » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:56 pm

Oh my! :shock: So far, it doesn't appear that too many eplayans will be clicking on the "Like" button. :shock:
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:04 pm

jkisha wrote:Oh my! :shock: So far, it doesn't appear that too many eplayans will be clicking on the "Like" button. :shock:

is there a "fuck you, and the horse you rode in on" button?
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby PaulTahoe » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:07 pm

Hello All: I am so sorry to hear that we were getting this kind of a reputation. We had no idea, and certainly wouldn’t have wanted anyone to think ill of us. As you may know, we have been part of the Burning Man community for years and certainly believe in the inclusiveness as the core value of the event. We did have to stop a lot of people from boarding her as there were capacity and safety issues. We actually had one of our own campers injured and had to stop people from boarding after the burn on Saturday night. Perhaps people didn’t understand the safety concerns when they were told they couldn’t board and mistakenly took that for something that it wasn’t. There were a lot of people in our own camp who didn’t even get on and it all related to safety. I myself as a camp member only rode on her twice the entire week. I have also been turned away from riding on many other Mutant Vehicles over the years because of capacity issues, and while not being too happy about it, realized it's more than likely for safety issues, even when the vehicle has been practically empty.

A lot of hard work and personal resources went into Christina for 2010 and 2011. This was our first year to have one of our campers contribute such an amazing Mutant Vehicle, and he did it 100% on his own, with no prior experience, and no outside funding or grants, in a very short amount of time. I can’t tell you how proud we were when we learned that she won Art Car of the Year in 2010. What an honor, we certainly wouldn’t want that tarnished with a bad reputation.

We will events with/for Christina throughout the year to pay for upgrades necessary to ensure the safety of everybody on-board, as well as add new elements that will increase the experience on-board. With these efforts, we plan on building a real pier/dock that will be a movable separate piece that people can climb aboard when we stop on the playa. We also plan on upgrading sound, lights, paint, and much more.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, as none of us had heard this before now. With the above explanation, I hope you can spread the truth about her and our good (not bad) intentions. We feel this art car was a great contribution to our camp and to the Burning Man community. I hope you can help spread the word of this website http://facebook.com/ChristinaYacht and not think of us as a group that is excluding people from the entertainment that we bring to the Black Rock City.

Thank you!
PaulTahoe

Postby graidawg » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:41 pm

there's an ART car of the year award?
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:26 pm

The fact that in the same breath you can simultaneously pretend to both give a shit and brag about your accolades is just further proof that you don't get it. I won't even expound on the disgustingly pretentious nature of declaring your own car "The Queen of BRC". :roll:

Put your all-inclusiveness where your mouth is. Show BRC that you aren't just exclusionary pricks. Arrange some events. Make a concerted showing at putting new faces on your vessel. If you were that well liked, you wouldn't have to come on eplaya begging for more FB fans.

Just sayin'. It's up to you now.
junglesmacks

Postby Nipple » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:08 pm

graidawg wrote:there's an ART car of the year award?

This year it was awarded by me. It went to that boombox art car. I was visiting Flower Camp over at like 10 on the Esplanade. They had a swing out front. I just sitting in it, and the boombox came by, and I said, "That wins. It is the winner."

Your art car of the year 2011: That one that looked like a green boombox.

I don't know if it has a Facebook page. It is now the Duke of the northwestern region of the playa.

Good Job, green boombox! Good for you!
Nipple

Postby robrob » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:18 pm

junglesmacks wrote: If you were that well liked, you wouldn't have to come on eplaya begging for more FB fans.

i saw a fucking sponsored ad on facebook for it, lol!
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm

Postby jkisha » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:22 pm

robrob wrote:
junglesmacks wrote: If you were that well liked, you wouldn't have to come on eplaya begging for more FB fans.

Is this a joke?
JK
jkisha

Postby Drawingablank » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:29 pm

jkisha wrote:
robrob wrote:

Is this a joke?

Nope - ad for it appearing on my FB page in the sponsored ad area all day today.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby robrob » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:35 pm

robrob

Postby moonrise » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:31 pm

Last year, 2010, I was in a small-ish line to climb the STEEP ladder and check her out, maybe go for a ride...

Then a woman in extra tall platform shoes fell down the crowded STEEP ladder and the scene turned to helping the fallen woman and those she landed on (it was man burn night, I drifted off after making sure they didn't need a ride(s) to medical) so no ride for me to report, yet.

I didn't feel snubbed like the junglesmacks did (yikes, how over-the-top rude!) I mean really? UGH!

In 2010, I did not mention I was from the Reno/Tahoe region. I probably could have, but why?
I should add, the ground crew wasn't picking and choosing who boarded, that felt nice :D

I never took time out to attempt a visit or ride on her this year, things were very good & different for me...btw, she looked so small, I'm not sure why?
Oh wait, the Temple may have over shadowed her! wow!

I do know they worked hard on the vessel and if they say they'll clean up their act, I think they will. (a better boarding system is in order, and obviously good manners)

If my memory serves right; The Chiristina was part of Megatropolis in 2010, a concerted effort from both Reno and Tahoe regionals, to what extent each played a role I couldn't say, it was my first 'real' year attending burning man (more than just a driver, delivery guy etc) so fuck it, I had fun! Finally!

(my 2 cents)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby jkisha » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:36 pm

Interesting. Could some of the previous posts be why they have to pay for likes? Just curious...this is a first for me!
robrob wrote:Image
JK
jkisha

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:41 pm

robrob wrote:Image

You know.. this is interesting. Check out this link: http://news.softpedia.com/news/Facebook ... 4404.shtml

Something tells me that it isn't "fixed". FB knows you visit eplaya.. hence.. it knows to advertise the Christina page.

..and gat' damn I can be a moody sonofabitch in the late afternoons. The economy blows. Running your own business is tough. It gets to you sometimes. Sorry all.
junglesmacks

Postby jkisha » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:52 pm

Facebook.png
Facebook.png (21.24 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
What do you know, it just appeared on my page. I'm not really to concerned with them knowing my hobbies...I think it has more to do with what sites I and my friends have liked than from gathering cookies off my computer. But who knows.
JK
jkisha

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:04 pm

jkisha wrote:I think it has more to do with what sites I and my friends have liked than from gathering cookies off my computer. But who knows.

This is true.. it very well could be.
junglesmacks

Postby robrob » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:48 pm

yeah, the ad's are targeted based on interest

(i.e.: you can choose to display it to people who indicated they are interested in burning man, etc)
robrob

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:26 pm

Adblock, people, adblock.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:37 pm

the ad doesn't appear on my page.......
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby jkisha » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:39 pm

ygmir wrote:the ad doesn't appear on my page.......

It still might. It didn't appear on my page right away either, and depending on their ad budget, it might not be in the rotation again until tomorrow.
JK
jkisha

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:57 pm

ygmir wrote:the ad doesn't appear on my page.......

No ads appear on my page, ever.

Like Fishy says:
Adblock, people, adblock.

Remember, add-ons for your browser are your friends.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:48 am

Am I the only one confused about the need for promotion when they claim they are restricted in terms of capacity?
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Zhust » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:54 am

You know, when I closed my HSBC account because they were leaving upstate New York, the account manager told me that "nothing would change" since they were being bought by First Niagara (a regional bank). I've been through corporate restructuring and knew what she was saying was complete bullshit, but I just smiled and took my $51.24 and went home.

It appears to me that PaulTahoe has all the polish of a public relations rep. It doesn't matter what people's actual experiences are, he's out to make it seem like Christina: Queen of BRC is hotter than New Coke. Half a dozen consistent posts led me to that conclusion, and I doubt enough could be done to sway my opinion 180 degrees. If PaluTahoe's next 10 posts explained it perfectly and integrated all of what I love about Burning Man, my opinion would be swayed maybe 30 or 40 degrees.

A standing joke I have about making art is, once I exhibit it, I ask everyone, "where are my accolades? I was supposed to receive accolades." The truth is if you have an art opening, nobody does jack shit for you — you (the artist) puts out the free cheese and buys the free wine and maybe — just maybe — one person comes in and expresses some glimmer of inspiration from your work.

I know that's true, but I still go around and stomp my feet and want my work to be lauded by someone and for there to be some kind of reciprocity for the effort I put in. And some snark-ass will inevitably tell me it's because my work sucks or that I shouldn't be doing it. Fuck them — I'm just having a goddamn tantrum. I'll get over it. I make it because I need to make it.

But it ends there. I don't go out and try to coax accolades. Certainly not by exaggerating the effect my art has had. And certainly not by advertising. What's next? A "sponsor Christina" page?

Just sayin'.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Postby jkisha » Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:02 am

We have already accepted the kickstarter concept, sponsorship can't be that far behind.
JK
jkisha

Next

Return to 2011 Art & Performance