2011 deaths, injuries, arrests and tickets

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: 2011 deaths, injuries, arrests and tickets

Postby Parasitoid » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:51 pm

trilobyte wrote:@Irreverent Moniker - I'm not sure about the pool of vomit part, but the only death this year was an older guy, on Tuesday, of natural causes.

@JStep - that may have been an old article, that's exactly what happened with the person who died in 2003.

The stats info I have for this year's event are 1 death (natural causes, on Tuesday), 3 arrests, and 42 citations. No info on number of injuries, we'll probably have to wait for the AfterBurn report for that.

I'm confused... The article that penrose posted http://www.carrollconews.com/story/1762310.html is not an old article. It was posted last month. It mentions the date that this person died. What sort of evidence do you have that this article is incorrect and/or that this person did not die at the burn this year?
Parasitoid

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:54 pm

Sounds like Tril has his stats wrong..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Parasitoid » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:59 pm

I might see where i was confused.

I think Trilobyte was referring to the JStep comment about someone getting run over and not referring to the article I thought it was.

The only part that I am left wondering about is that Trilobyte knows of a death perhaps that occured on Tuesday and the women in the article passed away on Sunday..

Were there two deaths?
Parasitoid

Postby trilobyte » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:07 pm

My info comes from the ESD stats from the end of the event. Only think I can guess is that she was injured on the playa and evacuated to a hospital, but that news of the hemorrhage and her passing had not gotten back to ESD? The article you linked only mentions that she suffered a cerebral hemorrhage, where are you guys getting that she fell off the back of an art car? Which car, and what day was the accident (unless she died at the scene)?
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Parasitoid » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:13 pm

trilobyte wrote:My info comes from the ESD stats from the end of the event. Only think I can guess is that she was injured on the playa and evacuated to a hospital, but that news of the hemorrhage and her passing had not gotten back to ESD? The article you linked only mentions that she suffered a cerebral hemorrhage, where are you guys getting that she fell off the back of an art car? Which car, and what day was the accident (unless she died at the scene)?

I don't think she fell off the art car. That was where I was confused. The article JStep mentioned I havent seen.

At this point I think there might have been two deaths just because you know of one that occured on Sunday and this article indicates that the woman with the hemorrhage passed on Sunday.
Parasitoid

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:36 pm

Parasitoid wrote:
trilobyte wrote:My info comes from the ESD stats from the end of the event. Only think I can guess is that she was injured on the playa and evacuated to a hospital, but that news of the hemorrhage and her passing had not gotten back to ESD? The article you linked only mentions that she suffered a cerebral hemorrhage, where are you guys getting that she fell off the back of an art car? Which car, and what day was the accident (unless she died at the scene)?

I don't think she fell off the art car. That was where I was confused. The article JStep mentioned I havent seen.

At this point I think there might have been two deaths just because you know of one that occured on Sunday and this article indicates that the woman with the hemorrhage passed on Sunday.

The llc has, in the past, not counted off-playa or pre/post event fatalities in the past. I don't know what the status is currently. I do know that if you perform cpr on someone who then dies two days later in the hospital, it still counts as a save. I don't find that "accurate" but consistent rules are better with stats, at least.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:54 pm

Agreed, though until the Afterburn report comes out we won't know for certain if it was tallied as a death at the event. The reason it wasn't reported in so many news outlets' coverage of the event could easily have been attributed to information not being available at the time. Even when they do have information available, a lot of outlets still manage to get details wrong anyways.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:55 pm

Indeed. Sometimes it looks a bit...

...willful.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:58 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:Indeed. Sometimes it looks a bit.. ...willful.

Explain?
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:30 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:Indeed. Sometimes it looks a bit.. ...willful.

Explain?

Well, in general, the whole sex and drug party in the desert meme, which they've beaten to death and then some, in my view. (Which is one reason I adore Don Assmussen's take on it.) Specifically the way that story of the suicide in Comfort and Joy was written with this totally spurious (and offensive) "people saw the body and thought it was art" hook.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man