What do you think about selling "schwag?"

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Is it cool to sell schwag?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:59 am

Yes
8%
No
65%
Depends on what the profits are for
27%

Total votes : 49

Re: What do you think about selling "schwag?"

Postby LanceThruster » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:50 pm

lemur wrote:I will sell you 2010 pre event and during the event ice pogs. If you somehow get a time machine you'll have all the ice you want.

$250. paypal is OK

I will sell you a 2010 inner circle burn night laminate

$500

I will sell you a 2008 thru 2011 SET of Lamplighter Charms

$1000

I will sell you a Lamplighter coin, pictured below..

$1500

IMPORTANT EDIT: package deal, get them all for $2500.

That coin is sooo f#cking cool. If I had that much disposable income, I'd consider acquiring it. It woud have the same sentimental value to me as buyig USS iberty commemorative coins from one of the survivors of the attack. While true I was not part of that event, I recognize the importance of it.
"We are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is."
— Mark Vonnegut
LanceThruster

Postby robrob » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:58 pm

that lamplighter medallion is pretty freaking rad.
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm

Postby LanceThruster » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:15 am

LanceThruster wrote:
That coin is sooo f#cking cool. If I had that much disposable income, I'd consider acquiring it. It would have the same sentimental value to me as buying USS Liberty commemorative coins from one of the survivors of the attack. While true I was not part of that event, I recognize the importance of it.

Had to edit my comment because when I have so many browser windows open, my keyboard drops letters.

And for the record, here's the link for the Liberty coin. It's not a commercial endorsement, just a bit of history from people who were there. I've bought several of the silver and more of the bronze and hand them out to people who "get it." I think maybe I'll get a shitload for gifting for my premiere attendance at BM 2012. It won't be a big deal to everyone, but those who do know what it stands for should be pretty stoked.

http://www.ussliberty.com/bronzecoin.htm

If putting the link here is not OK, I ask the mods to delete it. There's a bunch of other great resources on the site. If there is anything I trust burners for above all others, it's standing up for the truth.

"People are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own *facts*" ~ Bill Moyers (but he got it from some other guy...Voltaire?)
— Mark Vonnegut
LanceThruster

Postby LanceThruster » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:20 am

LanceThruster wrote:"People are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own *facts*" ~ Bill Moyers (but he got it from some other guy...Voltaire?)

For the record -

from- http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Daniel_Patrick_Moynihan

Attributed to Daniel Patrick Moynihan ~ Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.

* Variant: Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts.
o Quoted in Robert Sobel's review of Past Imperfect: History According to the Movies edited by Mark C. Carnes.
* Variant: You are entitled to your own opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
o Quoted in Timothy J. Penny, Facts Are Facts, National Review September 4, 2003.
* Variant: You’re entitled to your own opinions. You’re not entitled to your own facts.
o Ellen Hume, Tabloids, Talk Radio and the Future of News, part 4 (TOC), 1995 cites this as something Moynihan said to a "1994 electoral opponent on WNBC in New York".
* However, see [2] where the identical quote is attributed to James R. Schlesinger in 1973 Congressional testimony. Also see Bernard Baruch, who said "Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts." in the January 6, 1950 issue of the Deming (New Mexico) Headlight
— Mark Vonnegut
LanceThruster

Previous

Return to Politics & Philosophy