Google Maps 3d Aerial Fly Your Route to BRC

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Google Maps 3d Aerial Fly Your Route to BRC

Postby some seeing eye » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:01 pm

It's no secret that Google is highly influenced by Playa dust, it feeds their creativity. They have a new feature in Google maps: a 3d-like view, as if from a light plane, which flies your terrestrial route to places including BRC.

In Google maps, select Get Directions
Enter your two endpoints, like home and Black Rock City, NV
You will be given several route options on the left
Below that is the default route or the one you select
That route begins with Driving Directions to Black Rock City, NV - immediately to the right of that is a button with 3d - select that and you are off on a flight of your route. The button then shows 2d || - pause to zoom into the area around where you paused.

It gives me a little more awareness of the places I travel through here to there.

(Now if it would only show where all your friends are on the route, it could be social)
(Might be a beta rollout, so not working for everyone yet)
(Also it's confused about the BM playa entrance routes, it routes way over by Trego, they should fix that)
Last edited by some seeing eye on Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Re: Google Maps 3d Aerial Fly Your Route to BRC

Postby Sic Pup » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:05 pm

I only get a black screen, but I'm 3000 miles away.

IIRC, when I put in directions from Reno, it routed through Jungo Rd but I think that's been corrected now.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Return to Transportation