Feathers...

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Feathers...

Postby dragonflyannie » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:18 pm

As a 4 year burner, I KNOW the rule about feathers... BUT, I need people's opinions about something. I'm wondering if there is an exception to this rule... I know that feather boas and any costumes with feathers that will shed and create moop are a no-no, but my costume and my boyfriend's costume contains feathers... an indian headdress and an indian headband with two feathers on the back. Both head pieces are very well made and aren't from the cheap mass produced costumes they sell in bags. They are extremely authentic looking, very durable and the feathers are on there very tight... and there aren't that many compared to something like feather angel wings or feather boas...

Also, if it's really windy those things aren't even going on our heads, and if the wind picks up while wearing them they are coming off and will be put away...

I've seen head pieces on people out there, like those with el circo, and I'm wondering if anyone has had a problem.

Thoughts? Am I a bad burner for even bringing these to the playa? Or can I use my own discretion if I feel they won't cause a mess?
dragonflyannie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Ivy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:01 pm

Shake them.

Do things (not just feathers) fall off?

If so, leave them home.

If not, bring them.
Ivy

Postby dragonflyannie » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:47 am

Thanks Ivy!
That's all I needed to know.... looks like I'm good to go!
dragonflyannie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby AntiM » Sun Aug 22, 2004 2:49 pm

I have a big ass fan in a narrow hallway (actually the downdraft from my swamp cooler set on high). Any costume I suspect will shed, I hang up in the hall and turn the fan on full blast and leave it for a bit. If the costume/whatever sheds, it stays home. I call it the "this blows" test.

Anything I have with beads or sequins gets extra hand-stitching. Those really nice beaded fringes you get in craft shops unravel at an alarming rate unless reinforced.

I'd think a few well placed and secured feathers would hold up to the playa.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Return to 2004 Camps, Art & Activities