Mooping For Treasure

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Mooping For Treasure

Postby sparklefairyprincess » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:10 pm

I am always on the hunt for ground scores and pieces of costumes that have fallen off to use in my own creation (mostly hair pieces). But when I got to BM I was like "WOW! Look at all the cool stuff on the ground!" And the hunt was on, day and night. I found so much cool moop this year! I found lots of peacock feathers, feather earrings, toys, sparkly things... so I decided to make a "Moop Crown" ... and alas, on my search for the moop crown I found an actual little crown (!), plus a head lamp to be the base of my Crown of Moop. In it I will also put "classic" things I found like an unused condom, a nitrous whippet, a Yellow Bike tag, an empty drug baggie, a tiny glow stick... things like that.

I asked other people at the Burn what was the coolest piece of moop they found? To my surprise, NO ONE I talked to had picked up any moop, lest of all the good stuff! And here I was, "Mooping For Treasure," all by myself. (I DID also pick up non-cool moop along the way and properly dispose of it at our camp)...

So... Fellow Burners... I am wondering... What is the coolest piece of moop YOU picked up this year?
SUPER GIRL!!!!
sparklefairyprincess

Re: Mooping For Treasure

Postby sparklefairyprincess » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:12 pm

I also got the Idea, enthused by my treasure collection, for next year I want to make small re-usable shopping bags that say "I <3 MOOP" and give them out to people, so that they can Moop for Treasure too, or just have a place to put their moop and maybe encourage people to pick up more moop while they are partying, instead of leaving it all for the DPW to clean up afterwards.

I truley <3 picking up Moop!
SUPER GIRL!!!!
sparklefairyprincess

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:33 pm

I mooped lots of stuff, mainly cans, bottles, and paper.
Nothing really interesting in terms of material found but I treasued this exchange:

After I made it through greeters and claimed my spot I hit the JOTS.

I was tired and cranky, I went to the hand sanitizer station and this young dude
approaches and utters "is that yours?" I was oblivious and didnt see the crushed Coke can some
dimwit had balanced atop the post holding the sanitizer. Still shaking off defaultia I immediately
went on the defensive and said "hell no". He asked "will you pack it out?" I immediately said "hell yes"
and pocketed the can. He said "awesome, dude" and we hugged and parted ways.

I found it uplifting that someone I may have prejudged as being there just to party was so concious of packing it out.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby BBadger » Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:56 pm

Sic Pup wrote:I found it uplifting that someone I may have prejudged as being there just to party was so concious of packing it out.

Really a great story.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Simon of the Playa » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:32 pm

orange pill...unknown...ate it thursday night.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby shykat » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:43 pm

Cracked but working solar garden light,
Bead
Goggles
I'm the one that has to die when it's time for me to die, so let me live my life, the way I want to ...Jimi Hendrix
shykat

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:17 am

Sic Pup wrote:I mooped lots of stuff, mainly cans, bottles, and paper.
Nothing really interesting in terms of material found but I treasued this exchange:

After I made it through greeters and claimed my spot I hit the JOTS.

I was tired and cranky, I went to the hand sanitizer station and this young dude
approaches and utters "is that yours?" I was oblivious and didnt see the crushed Coke can some
dimwit had balanced atop the post holding the sanitizer. Still shaking off defaultia I immediately
went on the defensive and said "hell no". He asked "will you pack it out?" I immediately said "hell yes"
and pocketed the can. He said "awesome, dude" and we hugged and parted ways.

I found it uplifting that someone I may have prejudged as being there just to party was so concious of packing it out.

Hooray for you (((Sic Pup))) but, why could he not pack it out himself??? Or, better yet, drop it off at Recycle camp. :roll:

I always wonder about folks who find a problem and then turf it off to some random other person... really, wtf is that about? Personally, I own every problem I detect unless I am clearly unqualified to handle it.

And yeah I picked up MOOP every where I went :P and honestly got a little tired of people saying "thank you for doing that" as they zoomed on by... :roll:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby jkisha » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:40 am

I think this is a good idea for gifting...though a small bag with a shoulder strap might be more convenient for people to always carry with them.

sparklefairyprincess wrote:I also got the Idea, enthused by my treasure collection, for next year I want to make small re-usable shopping bags that say "I <3 MOOP" and give them out to people, so that they can Moop for Treasure too, or just have a place to put their moop and maybe encourage people to pick up more moop while they are partying, instead of leaving it all for the DPW to clean up afterwards.

JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby The CO » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:27 am

I met a guy while picking up MOOP Sunday afterburn. He was doing the same thing. We got to talking & I wound up with a ride in a hot air balloon. Thanks Sparrow! Best MOOP prize ever!
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby lucky420 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:25 am

moop I found this year; shit ton of feathers, cig butts, earing, glow sticks, 1 white pill (yes I ate it), and a can of bag balm.

I have a question concerning the little blue street marker flags. Later in the week I noticed a lot of the flags along the street edges were laying flat along the road. Should we pick pull these up and moop them or does DPW want these left alone for their after event moop patrol? I didn't pull any up but just wondering...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby NessaZee » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:07 pm

lucky420 wrote:moop I found this year; shit ton of feathers, cig butts, earing, glow sticks, 1 white pill (yes I ate it), and a can of bag balm.

I have a question concerning the little blue street marker flags. Later in the week I noticed a lot of the flags along the street edges were laying flat along the road. Should we pick pull these up and moop them or does DPW want these left alone for their after event moop patrol? I didn't pull any up but just wondering...

i was wondering the same thing...

my MOOP treasures this year included: clip-on feathers, crazy 3-D glasses, a leather bracelet and a rolled up 20 dolla bill lol
~Om-Nom-Nom~~simplicity is potent~~handjob gallery~~the best is yet to come~
NessaZee

Postby jkisha » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:22 pm

We always leave them, as nobody we've ever asked has been able to give us a definitive answer either, but the reasoning we came up with is that leaving them might make it easier for the MOOP patrol to determine what camps they were MOOPing when they score them on the map.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby AntiM » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:13 pm

Didn't find much of interest, although I now have more metal water bottles left at the HFWA. And a fake pony tail on the private potty bank. Eeek!

Did find a bunch of mini-pompoms out by the theater. Must have been hot glued to a costume or bike/bike basket. Hot glue can let go out there!
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Cheyenne » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:20 pm

Moop prizes...

1 x full bottle of sky vodka

1 x hip flask with single malt

1 x green bud (which I gifted to one of our awesome camp members who were onsite for days before and days after the burn)

and lots of feathery shit... and other shit... and shit

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby ohmu » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:20 pm

All I ever found was bits of toilet paper, bits of plastic, spent glowsticks, cigarette butts, and the occasional maxi pad. Just as I was starting to get demoralized, wondering if anyone actually gave a shit about moop, I heard someone clapping as I picked up some TP, and that gave me the motivation to continue picking up all week. But as far as treasure goes, all I can craft is a ball of trash. The most interesting thing I found was a bandana, and I was afraid the owner might come back looking for it, so I tied it around a post instead of packing it out, figuring at least that way it won't blow away in the wind, and if it never gets claimed the clean-up crew can grab it and go without missing a step.
ohmu

Postby some seeing eye » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:48 pm

Sparklefairyprincess - what a great BM tactic! I'm usually good about MOOP, but hope someone found the playa gift bike light that fell off. I have also lost some items that were threaded together, now they are locked on with teflon thread lock tape. I'm the type that ties all my small personal items on with cord when river rafting too. You should take some photos and forward this to the Burning Blog on the main BM website.
increasing the signal to noise ratio with compassion
some seeing eye

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Woo

Postby Savannah » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Scraps of paper, cigarette butts, bandaids.

Ate them, felt no effect.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Nipple » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:14 pm

Savannah wrote:Scraps of paper, cigarette butts, bandaids.

Ate them, felt no effect.

I ate a cigarette butt on a drunk night at the bar because I thought it'd be funny. And it was. For about 3 minutes, before my body decided that it didn't want it any more.

Part of my HILARITY was making a show of chewing the butt. Friends... I don't know how you get down, but never chew the butt. The taste lasts a LONG time.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby hookahdude » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:17 pm

Nipple wrote:Friends... I don't know how you get down, but never chew the butt. The taste lasts a LONG time.

....I.....

....OMFG....

....I cant stand this....

....It is too damn easy.....

.....Someone PLEASE!!!!!!!
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:08 pm

hookahdude wrote:
Nipple wrote:Friends... I don't know how you get down, but never chew the butt. The taste lasts a LONG time.

....I.....

....OMFG....

....I cant stand this....

....It is too damn easy.....

.....Someone PLEASE!!!!!!!

welcome, HD!!
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:48 pm

sparklefairyprincess wrote:I also got the Idea, enthused by my treasure collection, for next year I want to make small re-usable shopping bags that say "I <3 MOOP" and give them out to people, so that they can Moop for Treasure too, or just have a place to put their moop and maybe encourage people to pick up more moop while they are partying, instead of leaving it all for the DPW to clean up afterwards.

That's a good gifting idea. Moop til you droop!
~tzlf
Timezone LaFontaine

Burning Since: 2006

Postby moonrise » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:53 pm

Sparklefairyprincess-ya' might wanna to leave the drug baggie out of your crown; everything else sounds great!

yea, there were TONS of beer bottles all over the ground, and cans, grrr.
Luckily I have a big backpack and a spare bag on my cart and would dump it whenever I got back to my BIG bags of trash back at my camp.

I found a one dollar bill blowing in the wind, and on the last day(s) when everyone was leaving I found some useful stacks of empty 5 gal water jugs (they'll work great for grey water) and some lumber I'll use for something at my house, shelves maybe...this big MOOP is what asshats leave at the street corners, rude, just rude!

Did I read the theater was there this year? Was this a real MOVIE THEATER? (I found one of those last year, 2010, hmmm...where'd it go?)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby Nipple » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:59 pm

moonrise wrote:
Did I read the theater was there this year? Was this a real MOVIE THEATER? (I found one of those last year, 2010, hmmm...where'd it go?)

Yea, it was out just to the right of the farthest point of the trash fence. They were showing Stagecoach with John Wayne, and American Graffiti. At some point they left it unlocked and people partied in it and trashed it up. They were able to get it running the next night (burn night) so I didn't venture out there for their 12a, 2a or 4a showings.
Nipple

Postby moonrise » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:21 pm

Nipple wrote:
moonrise wrote:

Yea, it was out just to the right of the farthest point of the trash fence. They were showing Stagecoach with John Wayne, and American Graffiti. At some point they left it unlocked and people partied in it and trashed it up. They were able to get it running the next night (burn night) so I didn't venture out there for their 12a, 2a or 4a showings.

Fuck! get it running? trashed? :cry:
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:43 pm

There were a few theaters this year.

The self sevice abotion clinic and back ally cinnema played 3 movies a night starting at 8pm. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:20 pm

jkisha wrote:I think this is a good idea for gifting...though a small bag with a shoulder strap might be more convenient for people to always carry with them.

I always thought really fancy and outdated purses from thrift stores was the way to go...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:53 am

I am disappointed.

I need to start walking other routes...

So far all I have picked up on my walks has been garbage..

I did, however, find a dead possum today. I left him there.

He is environmentally friendly...
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:54 am

I apologize... My last post was not politically correct as I did not check the sex of the flattened creature.

He/she is environmentally friendly.

I am redeemed.
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby Savannah » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:46 pm

Is anyone else reminded of the following exchange whenever they see this thread's title?

Phillip: "Well, while we're waiting, why don't we search for treasure?"
Terrance: "Oh, good idea. Let's search for treasure."

Scott: "What are you idiots doing?"
Terrance: "We're looking for treasure."

Scott: "Is that some kind of metaphor for a search that can't be described?"
Phillip: "No. We're . . . searching for treasure."
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Temperance Kitsune » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:05 pm

I always thought really fancy and outdated purses from thrift stores was the way to go...

I was thinking the same thing! A definite must for my packing list to my first burn.
Obscure Mediocrity
Temperance Kitsune

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man