2011 deaths, injuries, arrests and tickets

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

2011 deaths, injuries, arrests and tickets

Postby iclimb » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:04 pm

I was told that one person died at 2011 BM of natural causes and another was seriously injured falling from the Man. Anyone have info on 2011 deaths, injuries, arrests and citations?
iclimb

Re: 2011 deaths, injuries, arrests and tickets

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:23 pm

Such information will be available in the AfterBurn report, but not for a while yet.
http://afterburn.burningman.com/

In the right-hand margin of every AfterBurn are specific areas . . . "Emergency Services" (under "Playa Safety") will have definitely have stats on injuries and deaths.

"Leal and Ranger Operations" will have a little about law enforcement, but maybe not specific numbers, based on what I'm seeing from 2010. Law Enforcement results might have a whole separate article, linked from the main Burning Man site and probably linked in the Jack Rabbit Speaks newsletter, which is a very, very handy read if you don't already receive it. More info here:

http://www.burningman.com/blackrockcity ... lists.html

Btw, if you have Law Enforcement feedback to submit, you may do it here:
http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/le_feedback.html
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby JStep » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:12 pm

An article forwarded to my buddy on the drive back quoted 3 felony arrests and one death (a girl fell off a tall art car backwards, landing on her head, according to the article anyway, I don't have a cite. The injured guy decided to jump off the top of the base of the man and survived, despite his efforts.)
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby lucky.bastard » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:43 pm

did he survive or just live long enough to make it to a hospital in Reno?
"In cultivating my own personal sojourn of enlightenment, I've had to forego employment opportunities "
lucky.bastard

Postby Nikosan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:31 pm

Go To: www.carrollconews.com to visit the beautiful obituary of the young lady we lost on the Playa
Nikosan

Postby Savannah » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:37 pm

She sounds like she was a spectacular woman. Thank you for the link.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Mr.Coffee » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:48 pm

I know that somebody OD'd right in front of our camp (~ 5:10 and H) ,I want to say wed. morning. Pretty sure they died, they had the street closed for a few hours.
"TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
"TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
"DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra
Mr.Coffee

Postby penrose » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:23 pm

[quote="Nikosan"]Go To: http://www.carrollconews.com to view the beautiful obituary of the young lady we lost on the Playa.[/quote]

http://www.carrollconews.com/story/1762310.html
penrose

Postby oscillator » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:13 pm

"...People were drawn to her shining personality, her vibrant zest for life, her kind heart,...she never lost her fondness for the Ozark Mountains, the small town where she grew up...she leaves the love of her life, Marshall Coffy, with whom she shared many wonderful times, including a joyous week at the festival.

It will not surprise anyone who knew her that Erika was on the organ donor registry, and that her tragic and untimely death will give new life and health to others. "

Godspeed Erika.
oscillator

Postby Sail Man » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:17 am

Nikosan wrote:Go To: http://www.carrollconews.com to view the beautiful obituary of the young lady we lost on the Playa.

I know that this isn't the right thread but........fuck. :cry:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:49 am

So.. sad. I can't even comprehend what a tragic loss.

..and to think that she was there with her boyfriend who they named in the obit. Imagine for a second what that would be like.

:(
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby MyDearFriend » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:47 am

junglesmacks wrote:So.. sad. I can't even comprehend what a tragic loss.

..and to think that she was there with her boyfriend who they named in the obit. Imagine for a second what that would be like.

:(

+1000

:cry: :cry: :cry:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby sparklefairyprincess » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:25 pm

A friend of ours at our camp (Tetris) was arrested on the playa with LOTS of multiple kinds of drugs on him (virgin burner who didn't listen to the long protesting advice of his fellow veteran burnerns and best friends). He was taken to the jail, we couldn't bail him out, and as far as we know he is doing some serious time in federal prison.

I bet it scared him straight for life, poor kid from Hawaii. He wasn't even 21 yet, naively partying and selling drugs, obviously lost in the scene... gets arrested the second day of his first burn, never to see any of his friends again, and wont return from prison on the Mainland for at least 10 years. WOW.
SUPER GIRL!!!!
sparklefairyprincess

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:42 am

sparklefairyprincess wrote:A friend of ours at our camp (Tetris) was arrested on the playa with LOTS of multiple kinds of drugs on him (virgin burner who didn't listen to the long protesting advice of his fellow veteran burnerns and best friends). He was taken to the jail, we couldn't bail him out, and as far as we know he is doing some serious time in federal prison.

I bet it scared him straight for life, poor kid from Hawaii. He wasn't even 21 yet, naively partying and selling drugs, obviously lost in the scene... gets arrested the second day of his first burn, never to see any of his friends again, and wont return from prison on the Mainland for at least 10 years. WOW.

Ahhhh... you're with the Hawaii peeps that Sinderella was talking about. Sucks bad. I talked to Noah and Judy about this. So.. sad.. but.. that's what happens. Some pay the stupid tax harder than others.
junglesmacks

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:55 am

junglesmacks wrote:
sparklefairyprincess wrote:A friend of ours at our camp (Tetris) was arrested on the playa with LOTS of multiple kinds of drugs on him (virgin burner who didn't listen to the long protesting advice of his fellow veteran burnerns and best friends). He was taken to the jail, we couldn't bail him out, and as far as we know he is doing some serious time in federal prison.

Ahhhh... you're with the Hawaii peeps that Sinderella was talking about. Sucks bad. I talked to Noah and Judy about this. So.. sad.. but.. that's what happens. Some pay the stupid tax harder than others.

yeah, tough spot, tough results. ANd that's sad for a young person.

It's also hard to have a ton of sympathy, though, since it sounds like he was very thoroughly warned, repeatedly.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:00 am

ygmir wrote: It's also hard to have a ton of sympathy, though, since it sounds like he was very thoroughly warned, repeatedly.

It's such a double edged sword though.. I mean.. now.. because this young and naive kid was being young and naive, he's had his life taken from him while we the tax payers foot the bill. Shit.. at 21.. we were all pretty much young, dumb and full of cum. Some of us just more narrowly escaped to tell about it than others. While I don't condone the activity by any means, I can say that I can identify maybe a little with being trapped in a lifestyle at a young age without the wisdom to know what's best and what the inevitable outcome REALLY is.. and most importantly, that the "solutions" to the "drug epidemic" by the US government are the biggest bunch of horse shit known to man.
junglesmacks

Postby oneeyeddick » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:02 am

Absolutely NO sympathy for ANYONE selling drugs on Playa.

Everyone knows you are supposed to give them away.
We have an obligation to make space for everyone, we have no obligation to make that space pleasant.
oneeyeddick

Burning Since: 1996

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:09 am

junglesmacks wrote:
ygmir wrote: It's also hard to have a ton of sympathy, though, since it sounds like he was very thoroughly warned, repeatedly.

It's such a double edged sword though.. I mean.. now.. because this young and naive kid was being young and naive, he's had his life taken from him while we the tax payers foot the bill. Shit.. at 21.. we were all pretty much young, dumb and full of cum. Some of us just more narrowly escaped to tell about it than others. While I don't condone the activity by any means, I can say that I can identify maybe a little with being trapped in a lifestyle at a young age without the wisdom to know what's best and what the inevitable outcome REALLY is.. and most importantly, that the "solutions" to the "drug epidemic" by the US government are the biggest bunch of horse shit known to man.

agreed. I didn't say "no" sympathy, because, yeah, we've all (probably) done thing that would land us in prison, if caught.

And, sometimes, you're just not lucky. But, it sounds like he was admonished, to not do what he was doing, very clearly. There may be some Darwinsm in that situation, as well.

But, the thought of a young person, losing a big chunk of life, and carrying a burden like that, forever, is very sad.

And what OED says....he was "selling"? really? in BRC?

"some squirrels make it across the road, some don't"...........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby A Jester » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:35 am

It's a shame that our country doesn't have a more fitting solution for people who break drug laws - I really don't think they need to be lumped in with the rapists and murders. However, selling drugs on playa can't be tolerated. As much as I feel bad for a young person who made a big mistake, if drug trafficking got out of control we could lose our permit.

I think the best to be done is to share this story wide and far so that others can learn from his mistake.

Having said that, https://sites.google.com/site/lawyersforburners/ might be a good resource for him. I don't know how they go about offering support, but it's a place to start looking.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby junglesmacks » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:40 am

I know this video isn't about drug trafficking.. but.. it shows the glaring differences in policy towards the drug issue.

junglesmacks

Postby Lassen Forge » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:50 am

sparklefairyprincess wrote:... He wasn't even 21 yet, naively partying and selling drugs, obviously lost in the scene... gets arrested the second day of his first burn, never to see any of his friends again, and wont return from prison on the Mainland for at least 10 years. WOW.

Well, the theme *was* "Rites of Passage"... and THAT is one hell of a rite of passage...
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby unjonharley » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:43 pm

They just don't make good addict anymore..

Back in the day didn't play fuck fuck with the law.. We stayed under ground.. Never showed at a big art fest holding.. I never went out of doors in the day time.
I was never holding for more than a hour even as a mule. The shit knew where it was going and handed off or used quick.. The law didn't notice us cuz they didn't see us.. Hash and weed were done in dens.. We got busted so we could get help when we got to messed up.

Then come the f..in hippies with there free love and drugs and gave the law a whole new "bag" to play with.. I quite.. The new druggies would roll over on any one.. What a mess..

Now we have open dealers that play fuck fuck with the law.. Boy do they cry
when they get there toy busted..

Like the guy traveling in Co out of Ca.. Gets stop for a bad lane change.. Lic's revoked and his old lady tell a different story on where there going.. The car looks heavy in the rear.. It's dog time. Yup, 220 (yes220) pounds of snort..

They just don't make 'em like they used to..
unjonharley

Postby Sail Man » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:02 pm

ygmir wrote:"some squirrels make it across the road, some don't"...........

OMFG! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That fucking rocks, I gotta remember that for work Yggy
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby ygmir » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:11 pm

Sail Man wrote:
ygmir wrote:"some squirrels make it across the road, some don't"...........

OMFG! :lol: :lol: :lol:

That fucking rocks, I gotta remember that for work Yggy

feel free, it was just a moment of inspiration, and who better to share it with, pal.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Postby Irreverent Moniker » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:38 pm

The death that I heard about, from an ESD friend, was an older guy who died in his tent during the night only to be found by his son the next morning in a pool of his own vomit
Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.
Irreverent Moniker

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:42 am

A Jester wrote:

It's a shame that our country doesn't have a more fitting solution for people who break drug laws - I really don't think they need to be lumped in with the rapists and murders. However, selling drugs on playa can't be tolerated. As much as I feel bad for a young person who made a big mistake, if drug trafficking got out of control we could lose our permit.

I think the best to be done is to share this story wide and far so that others can learn from his mistake.

Having said that, https://sites.google.com/site/lawyersforburners/ might be a good resource for him. I don't know how they go about offering support, but it's a place to start looking.

I've been thinking about this, and it occurs to me that he might have been "lucky"-ish. That level of naivety playing with the big boys in drug distribution could have had him dead in ten years. Now, it's not clear that that would have happened, but the forces he wasn't reckoning with were the sort who could "kill you to death" without turning a hair.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby trilobyte » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:17 am

@Irreverent Moniker - I'm not sure about the pool of vomit part, but the only death this year was an older guy, on Tuesday, of natural causes.

@JStep - that may have been an old article, that's exactly what happened with the person who died in 2003.

The stats info I have for this year's event are 1 death (natural causes, on Tuesday), 3 arrests, and 42 citations. No info on number of injuries, we'll probably have to wait for the AfterBurn report for that.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby A Jester » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:27 am

theCryptofishist wrote:
A Jester wrote:

I've been thinking about this, and it occurs to me that he might have been "lucky"-ish. That level of naivety playing with the big boys in drug distribution could have had him dead in ten years. Now, it's not clear that that would have happened, but the forces he wasn't reckoning with were the sort who could "kill you to death" without turning a hair.

Yeah, I wasn't sure the right way to word it, but I was also thinking that if he was ignoring advice and oblivious to consequences... well getting arrested isn't the worst thing that can happen.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:31 am

And I agree about many drug felonies. It's a sad case, but sometimes people take too much rope, even when you're not giving it to them...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Postby ygmir » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:45 am

theCryptofishist wrote:And I agree about many drug felonies. It's a sad case, but sometimes people take too much rope, even when you're not giving it to them...

that whole Darwinism things rears it's head..........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man