CALLING ALL SAN ANTONIO AREA BURNERS!!!

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

CALLING ALL SAN ANTONIO AREA BURNERS!!!

Postby CKHorus » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:56 pm

I've been trying my best to get something burning man or burner related started in San Antonio but i just don't have enough people or resources yet to really do anything.

So I'm putting out a call: I need help forming ideas, finding locations, building stages, promoting, everything. There is a small group of us focused on bringing burner culture and philosophy to this culturally dying city but we really do need quite a bit of help.

Anybody wanting to change this city or even interested in any part of the idea, pleas message me or post here. We need all the help we can get.
Long live the Suns
CKHorus

Postby Super Evil Brian » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:19 am

I'm in the Alamo City and I'm going to Burning Man. So far it's just me, but I'm interested in helping or contributing where I can.

San Antonio and I have a mutually antagonistic relationship, mostly because I belong back in Brooklyn.

That's another story and irrelevant here.
"I knew it was wrong, but I did it anyway."
Jesus fuckhole, what the fuck was that?
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Burning Since: 2011

Postby playakittycat » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:16 pm

I'm in Austin, but I'd love to get involved in something Burning Man-wise in my general area. I don't currently know (personally) any burners here, but San Antonio is pretty close. I'd love to help at some point!

xoxo Ri
playakittycat

Postby Super Evil Brian » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:36 pm

As you can tell from my posts in the Austin and San Antonio threads, I sort of live in both, depending (fade into rambling).

I'm in the process of gathering my gear, planning and other preliminary stuff.

I plan to be in Austin in a couple of weeks, maybe going to REI on Lamar. Now that I think of it, I don't personally know any burners in Austin or San Antonio either, but I know they exist.
"Playa dust might be the cleanest, most corrosive filth you'll ever love," Savannah said.
Super Evil Brian

Postby SA Rudy » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:58 pm

Interesting proposition for a SA regional. I bet it'd be a PITA to get proper permits and such? I wouldn't mind doing some grunt work for such an operation, but haven't a clue as to what goes on behind the scenes to make sure all was OK with the local gov't entities. Also, location - where would such a shindig take place?

Hell, we could always throw a burn on my 10 acres in Floresville, but I'm not quite sure if people could handle the copperheads and rattlesnakes on my property. :shock:
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral, fattening, addictive, expensive, or impossible
SA Rudy

Postby Super Evil Brian » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:43 pm

SA Rudy wrote:Interesting proposition for a SA regional. I bet it'd be a PITA to get proper permits and such? I wouldn't mind doing some grunt work for such an operation, but haven't a clue as to what goes on behind the scenes to make sure all was OK with the local gov't entities. Also, location - where would such a shindig take place?

Hell, we could always throw a burn on my 10 acres in Floresville, but I'm not quite sure if people could handle the copperheads and rattlesnakes on my property. :shock:

But everything in San Antonio is done poorly and unorganized. It seems to be a constant and proud theme, like fat people walking around with turkey legs and cheap beer in big plastic boots.

The regional near Austin should be regional enough, I think.
Super Evil Brian

Postby SA Rudy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:17 am

I hadn't found out about Burning Flipside - the Austin regional, until a month before it was set to go off. I do like the fact that it is a finite amount of tickets sold (~2,400), but from what I gather on their forums it is difficult to get a ticket as the window to procure tickets is only one week (first week in January) and they are usually flooded with requests. So even though you may be on the ball with getting your request in, you are not guaranteed entry. :( This is why a SA regional would be a good idea and attract not only people from SA but from the other cities as well.

I think your characterizing of SA events as being poorly organized is not just limited to SA. I had just attended the Republic of Texas MC Rally in Austin and that turned out to be a huge cluster fuck where people were injured due to poor planning on the event grounds. It all depends on what the celebration is about and the type of people it attracts.
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral, fattening, addictive, expensive, or impossible
SA Rudy

Re: CALLING ALL SAN ANTONIO AREA BURNERS!!!

Postby square_garden » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:02 pm

I'd love to connect with some SA Burners. I'm an aspiring burner (haven't yet been, but for a long time have wanted to go..). I agree, the culture/entertainment here is just sad and sagging. I've got a few ideas about how to shake things up in this sorry town. Would love to help and/or connect with local burners.
square_garden

Postby Super Evil Brian » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:12 pm

Square

How do you plan to shake up this "city?"
Super Evil Brian

Postby SA Rudy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:13 pm

Heya Garden,

I think a good place to start to find folks that would be interested in your ideas would be here as well as some of the art venues in Southtown. It's been quite awhile since I've attended a First Friday event, but in the galleries in the Silos (back parking lot of Blue Star) is where I've found art exhibitions that were quite a bit outside of the mainstream (more street art and the like) with DJs spinning tunes and seemed to be more of a party atmosphere compared to the other galleries that showcase works during those days.

Recently, I've had conversations with the bartender of Blue Star who's brother had went to BM last year and heard quite a few great stories from him. Upon talking to him, he had never realized that there were regional burns. Hell, neither did I until delving into the BM site and these forums. He was indeed keen on the idea of attending a SA regional if one were to ever come to fruition.

So there is some interest among folks in this town and to continue to drum up more interest, I'd suggest starting with seeding the minds of the artists that are here in this town.
SA Rudy

Postby Super Evil Brian » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:23 pm

The small silos behind the fence next to the bike path? I ride past those all the time.

I guess my negative opinion of San Antonio gets in the way of the few good things here.

The First Fridays can be fun and that area is pretty nice.
Super Evil Brian

Postby SA Rudy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Are you referring to the extension that is relatively new that runs along the river? If so, then yes, they are the ones by the bike path. There is also a warehouse in the very back that hosts the largest of the underground exhibitions. These ones are easily forgotten since they are not on the beaten path near Alamo or the Blue Star. I have been to a few kick ass parties with art, bands, and DJs in that back area.

SA does have some very cool stuff going on that is generally not well publicised. I don't mind the lack of advertisement tho as it keeps away the "turkey leg eating, bud light swilling" crowd that you've mentioned before. SA has a saying "Keep San Antonio Lame" which from an outsider looking in probably thinks it as spot on, but it's those that dabble in the scene and find the places worth going to that use that saying to keep it from becoming spoiled.
SA Rudy

Postby mesabear » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:12 pm

made some friends at about 3:30 and , a group from San Antonio with a Dick Cheney "fountain". Looking for contact info for a "Bags and Gigantor" to say thanks
mesabear

Postby Super Evil Brian » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:35 pm

Tiki from the Flipside group is interested in putting together some sort of San Antonio burner happy hour.

Anyone interested?
Super Evil Brian

Postby bunnyballz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:42 pm

I'm in Austin and am jonesing to get together with some burners, rites of passage was my first burn and it was basically an explosion of amazingness into my life. If there was a burner happy hour in SA I would be there.
bunnyballz

Postby SA Rudy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:06 pm

Way late on replying to this one! Not sure why I didn't get notified on the replies?

Yes, always down for a happy hour in SA.

If I do get my tickets to Flipside this year then everyone is highly encouraged to stop by our camp for a session. We have plans for turning my yurt that I called my home at this past year's BM into an Irish Pub.
SA Rudy

Postby Savannah » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:12 pm

Hey Rudy,

Try clicking on the orange "Subscribe topic" link below left. (I've just experimented and have noted that just seeing the checkmark isn't enough, it's just a symbol--you have to click the link, and then it takes you to a new page that confirms you are subscribed to the topic). Hope that helps. Otherwise it could mean your junk mail folder had some of the replies or you have a more complicated settings issue--we see those too every once in a while.
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby SA Rudy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:03 pm

Oddness... I did get notified on your posting. Maybe I did get notified previously but perchance had a short between me & the keyboard?

Thanks for being my tech support! :-D
SA Rudy

Postby Colonel Kurtz » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:27 pm

Uncle Sam posted me here in River City. Looking for fellow burners for scheming up art projects local, regional and on the playa. A party is where you make it....
Colonel Kurtz

Postby Super Evil Brian » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:26 am

Colonel Kurtz wrote:Uncle Sam posted me here in River City. Looking for fellow burners for scheming up art projects local, regional and on the playa. A party is where you make it....

I just moved to Austin from horrible San Antonio, but I find myself there once in a while. Maybe we can do burner stuff.
Super Evil Brian

Postby SA Rudy » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:52 am

We've got plenty of various projects we're working on for Flipside, Kurtz. Hit me with a PM if ya want to hear some details and possibly lend a hand.
SA Rudy

Postby brittknee555 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:45 pm

I'm from Dallas but usually make the drive down to Austin for burn events (Freezerburn, Orfunner, Flipside decomp... there are many). My suggestion is to get involved in all the burning flipside flipizen group on facebook and maybe even the north texas burner group. It's a quick way to meet other burners from all around Texas and really easy to coordinate events. I'm sure there are many other burners from San Antonio in each of those groups, plus many would be willing to help coordinate events from other cities.
Last year after flipside a friend created a group to schedule the decomp a month after the event, invited a bunch of burners that he knew and eventually it grew into a beautiful co-created event. It was as simple as putting the thought out there, choosing a date and securing the land and portapotties for the event. After that, someone created a google doc to have people sign up for volunteer shifts and voila... burn event. The event turned out to be amazing, lots of theme camps went all out and we ended up being a city of about 300 or 400 people.
brittknee555

Postby kittyrodriguez » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:58 pm

I can't believe I missed this thread. My husband and I are SA natives. Last year was our first burn, but definitely not our last. We're headed back this year with the ESD. We'd love to connect with other burners locally. Flipside was a no-go this year, and it seems to be difficult to breach especially for a non-austinite. So... some regional action would be awesome!
kittyrodriguez

Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Postby Super Evil Brian » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:59 pm

I know three burners in or near Dallas, two lived in Austin briefly (we met in NYC and our paths crossed in Austin) and the other visited here recently.
Super Evil Brian

Postby Colonel Kurtz » Sat May 19, 2012 12:46 pm

Who's going to Burning Otherside? If so, look for bald man in some sort of jumpsuit. Shout out to SA Rudy for the intel. :lol:
Colonel Kurtz

Postby Super Evil Brian » Sat May 19, 2012 4:53 pm

Burning Otherside?

Is it as exclusive as Flipside?
Super Evil Brian

Postby Herring » Mon May 21, 2012 2:45 pm

Super Evil Brian wrote:Burning Otherside?

Otherside is the opposite of exclusive, it's formed for the burners who weren't able to get Flipside tix. If you can't make it to Apache Pastures, head to Recreation Plantation.

http://www.burningotherside.com/

I'll be at the Flipside PETs tent this weekend, look for the medic with the rainbow socks.

Please keep Otherside in mind as an alternative, there was a larger than normal demand for tickets this year so they're really cracking down on party crashers.

http://notnotbobslist.org/dontpanic/201 ... were-live/

Next lets all get ready for North Texas Burn Myschievia in October!
http://ntxb.org/
"It's impossible." said pride.
"It's risky." said experience.
"It's pointless." said reason.
"Give it a try." whispered the heart.
Herring

Postby Super Evil Brian » Mon May 21, 2012 5:59 pm

Herring wrote:
Super Evil Brian wrote:Burning Otherside?

Otherside is the opposite of exclusive, it's formed for the burners who weren't able to get Flipside tix. If you can't make it to Apache Pastures, head to Recreation Plantation.

http://www.burningotherside.com/

I'll be at the Flipside PETs tent this weekend, look for the medic with the rainbow socks.

Please keep Otherside in mind as an alternative, there was a larger than normal demand for tickets this year so they're really cracking down on party crashers.

http://notnotbobslist.org/dontpanic/201 ... were-live/

Next lets all get ready for North Texas Burn Myschievia in October!
http://ntxb.org/

First off, hi from Austin!

I need to look up Burn Myschievia and I'm still on the fence about Otherside.
Super Evil Brian

Return to Regionals & Events