Put The BURN Back in Burning Man!!!

Put The BURN Back in Burning Man!!!

Postby sparklefairyprincess » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:13 pm

I saw a lot of rainbow blinky lights everywhere, in fact so many that it actually hurt my googly little raver eyes... Honestly... I could have done with a lot less rainbow blinky lights, and seen more FIRE!!!!! I felt like I did not see enough things on fire looking out across the playa this year. So a big shout out goes to the Steampunk Octopus art car, for spouting fire from 9 different orifices, and the Trojan horse for giving us a show as good as watching the man burn down (and Flaming Lotus Girls, of course!!!). There was not enough Fire Art I felt... too many blinky lights! Seriously, how many art installations on the playa this year were constantly flaming? Not enough. And where were all the random fire spinners? Sure, there are plenty fire spinners AT burning man, but not enough lighting up! I swear my friends and I started way too many fire circles... all it takes is one person to light up and BAM! 25 fire spinners suddenly creep out of the dance floor to light up too... so I saw dear black rock citizens... lets put the BURN back in Burning Man!!
SUPER GIRL!!!!
sparklefairyprincess

Re: Put The BURN Back in Burning Man!!!

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:33 pm

Maybe LED prices are coming down. Fuel prices are certainly going up. Now, I know some pyros who are not going to be dissuaded, but economics does effect our city.
And good on you for bringing the spinners out.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby The Bee » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:45 pm

Did you see the flaming skeletons riding a tandem bicycle around the playa? The actual rider was dressed in black and invisible from a distance. Behind him were two skeletons on fire, pedaling with flaming legs moving up and down with the pedals. From a distance, all you could see were the two flaming skeletons. Very cool, and first time I'd seen anything like that.
The Bee

Postby Snow » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:45 pm

Well I'm glad you enjoyed my/our work sparklefairyprincess and stoked you want more fire and fire spinners. As we aim to please you'll love what we have in the works for next year! Stay tuned for more details as they are solidified from our imaginations.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby BetaBox » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:08 pm

The number one question I got for the car this year was.....does it shoot fire?
See you in 2014
BetaBox

Postby oscillator » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:17 pm

So, sparklefairyprincess, what Fire Art did you build and bring to the playa this year?

I would love to see it!

/Osc
oscillator

Postby Tiahaar » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:05 pm

My flame effects skipped a year as I had to do some mechanical repairs of other stuff but they will be back for 2012.
I like lotsa blinky stuff too ;-)
Burning Man 2003-13; Desert Carillon, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage Tech
RING THE COCK Caravansy Peenerweight Boutique
Tiahaar

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Postby RedHeaven » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:18 am

I blame it on the rainbow man.....his multi color confused me at times as I tend to naturally use it as a center piece to find my way around.
I noticed lots of fire this year, the Thursday CORE project burns was pretty rad.....don't think Ive seen anything like that in my 6 years. My old camp for the first time had a large fire sculpture in their esplanade playground (Cosmic Recess) So I feel like I saw a lot.......But still, you can never have too much FIRE art...

It seems like the more LED stuff that technology comes up with the more craZy light shit we see. So yeah I also blame it on technology. I actually really liked that pink and purple wavy laser flower thingie that was fun to ride your bike around, between 10:00 and the temple and man out there. But my fav thigns are always fire. I liked the big cauldrens around the man all week. The man doesnt always have stuff like that......
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby sparklefairyprincess » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:07 pm

So, sparklefairyprincess, what Fire Art did you build and bring to the playa this year?

I would love to see it!

I did not have the funds to build any fire art instillations, but as I said before... I started countless fire circles/jams at many of the large sound stages every night. There would be like no one spinning fire until my friends and I showed up. As soon as we lit up, all of the fire spinners who were there and not spinning fire decided to join us. I guess you could say we were the push that came to shove the other fire spinners into actually spinning fire... rather than just having the fire toys on them and not using them. We provided fuel to many fire spinners who had toys but no fuel to light up.
SUPER GIRL!!!!
sparklefairyprincess

Return to 2011 Art & Performance