LA Decomp

Get in touch with other Burners in your area.

LA Decomp

Postby cpart » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:01 pm

So which eplayans are going to the LA Decomp? I missed the M&G, but it would be nice to meet you guys at the Decomp. I'll be there with my monkey shorts on (red and white pinstripe, with a monkey tail). If you notice me, say hello!
cpart

Burning Since: 2010

Re: LA Decomp

Postby mudpuppy000 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:28 pm

I'll be there. Should be a lot of fun. :)
mudpuppy000

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Orphan Endorphin

Postby jkisha » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Don't usually go, but my partner will be there. (but he's not on eplaya.)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby BurnerSkunk » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:10 am

I will be going, but just a lurker here ;)
BurnerSkunk

Postby gaminwench » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:52 am

going, volunteering...
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby cpart » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:54 am

I'll be wearing the vest and red/white pants that I am wearing in the last picture on my signature. Don't be shy, say hello.
cpart

Postby cpart » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:30 pm

Does anyone know if you can bring food inside? It only mentions no alcohol.
cpart

Postby jkisha » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:32 pm

I can't imagine them confiscating your Subway sandwich. :shock:
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby cpart » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:07 am

jkisha wrote:I can't imagine them confiscating your Subway sandwich. :shock:

Awesome. I wonder if I can bring a whole picnic or not.
cpart

Postby gaminwench » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:16 am

I'm guessing, yes.

There are food & alcohol vendors at the event :roll:

You will be 'searched' at the gate, the alcohol rules are because it's a state park...
but picnicking in a state park should be okay... :shock:

Come by Destiny Lounge, Rock yer Balls, and say hello!!
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Postby cpart » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:22 am

gaminwench wrote:There are food & alcohol vendors at the event :roll:

I'd rather not pay for overpriced food, if I don't have to. And I'll be prepartying at a hotel off Alvarado st, so hopefully I won't buy as many drinks there, but we all know how that goes.
cpart

Postby mudpuppy000 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:31 am

cpart wrote:

I'd rather not pay for overpriced food, if I don't have to. And I'll be prepartying at a hotel off Alvarado st, so hopefully I won't buy as many drinks there, but we all know how that goes.

They're usually food trucks there, so food truck prices. I remember the bar being pretty reasonable. They'd give you a shot of whiskey with your beer for $1 more, lol. Oh that was a LOT of fun. :D
mudpuppy000

Postby cpart » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:59 am

mudpuppy000 wrote:
cpart wrote:

They're usually food trucks there, so food truck prices. I remember the bar being pretty reasonable. They'd give you a shot of whiskey with your beer for $1 more, lol. Oh that was a LOT of fun. :D

Well that is good to hear, last year I wasn't drinking at all that night. If I reckon, food trucks aren't cheap
cpart

Postby Homiesinheaven » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:00 am

have fun! jkisha and i met at Decomp two or three years ago. :D
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby jkisha » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:40 am

LOL yes we did; and I haven't been to another one since! (No fault of yours. :)) Though I'm reconsidering and might possibly show up this year.
Homiesinheaven wrote:have fun! jkisha and i met at Decomp two or three years ago. :D
JK
jkisha

Postby cpart » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:29 pm

jkisha wrote:LOL yes we did; and I haven't been to another one since! (No fault of yours. :)) Though I'm reconsidering and might possibly show up this year.
Homiesinheaven wrote:have fun! jkisha and i met at Decomp two or three years ago. :D

Why did you stop going, if I might ask?
cpart

Postby Trishntek » Thu Sep 29, 2011 11:45 pm

I've not attended any kind of regional event and simply wonder what makes it worth attending? Is it all about commerce? Or is it about people?
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby gaminwench » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:52 am

The commerce is very contained... food trucks and a BarGarden...

Allo the rest is as you know it...

Theme Camps,
ArtCars,
Lovely people,
Blinky lights,
Yummy vibes....

come!!!!
gaminwench

Postby jkisha » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:43 am

Because they don't come close to the original. It's all the stuff with none of the magic.

cpart wrote:
jkisha wrote:LOL yes we did; and I haven't been to another one since! (No fault of yours. :)) Though I'm reconsidering and might possibly show up this year.

Why did you stop going, if I might ask?
JK
jkisha

Postby cpart » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:18 am

Trishntek wrote:I've not attended any kind of regional event and simply wonder what makes it worth attending? Is it all about commerce? Or is it about people?

Honestly, I'm going for the people. There are definitely a lot of people who don't go to burning man, but there are also a lot of burners you can share stories with and have a good night.
cpart

Postby Homiesinheaven » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:21 am

i agree with jkisha to some degree. definitely dont go there expecting the playa magic because it is different and you'll be disappointed. sometimes it sucks because it's a poor reproduction that is somewhat similar but not quite there. it also ends too early and is way overpriced in my opinion.

having said all that it can be fun! i suggest you volunteer and get involved. that made it more fun for me last time i went. also the day time is much different from the night and it's nice to hang out while the sun is still out. the food is good and you can meet some fun kindred spirits.
Homiesinheaven

Burning Since: 2008

Postby cpart » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:58 pm

I agree completely that it isn't the same. But how could one expect it to be?
cpart

Postby Bexx » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:18 am

Well... I am pretty much pissed off. According to the LA BM site

Parking: We request that everyone park at Union Station on Alameda. The parking there is $5 and it is the safest place to park in the area. You can either walk from the train station 5 blocks or ride the Metro Gold Line North from Union Station to the China Town Station, just one stop up the line. The entrance to the event is approximately 100 yards from the China Town Station

Well... We parked there.. In lot B. Got a ticket.. Walked to decom.. Had fun. Walked back.. Only to pay 14 bucks. We even contested the matter, and showed our wristbands. Nope. Sorry.. Usually I wouldn't be so pissy about something like this, but we were told to park some place.. And told it would be x amount. We budgeted for our whole night... Lucky us, we had extra $ for parking.
fuckshit-tit-balls-goddamn motherfucker../Little Miss Swears A Lot!
Bexx

Camp Name: Camp _____ (cock and balls)

Postby jkisha » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:21 am

I don't, which is why I don't go anymore. For me, burning man is a once a year event. (Though planning and preparation seems to be year long process.)

cpart wrote:I agree completely that it isn't the same. But how could one expect it to be?
JK
jkisha

Postby cpart » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:38 pm

I am disappointed. First they didn't do the $15 for wearing "playa gear" and $20 for regular clothing. Someone mentioned food trucks so "food truck prices".... yeah... GOURMET food trucks. I paid $8 for the least filling, appetizing pizza I've ever eaten. Then the beer garden is charging $7 a beer? This is just a huge fucking scam. I met a FEW Burners, had an okay day. Should have brought in my Subway sandwich and drank a lot more before entering.
cpart

Postby jkisha » Sun Oct 02, 2011 4:46 pm

LOL This is L.A., everything is expensive, relatively speaking. I didn't recall them making the discount offer for costumes this year.

I drove my partner downtown and we had an early diner at one of our favorite Chinese restaurants, then I dropped him off at the festival. He had a great time, but I'm not so sure how much he remembered. Except I do know he enjoyed playing Rock Your Balls for the first time. I picked him back up early this morning at a friends place. He'll probably sleep clear through till tomorrow!
JK
jkisha

Postby mudpuppy000 » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:02 am

Well, I was planning on going but decided to go check out the eagle rock music festival before. The low end theory stage was amazing. Anyway, I had so much fun I never made it to decompression. :o
mudpuppy000

Postby cpart » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:59 am

jkisha wrote:LOL This is L.A., everything is expensive, relatively speaking. I didn't recall them making the discount offer for costumes this year.

I drove my partner downtown and we had an early diner at one of our favorite Chinese restaurants, then I dropped him off at the festival. He had a great time, but I'm not so sure how much he remembered. Except I do know he enjoyed playing Rock Your Balls for the first time. I picked him back up early this morning at a friends place. He'll probably sleep clear through till tomorrow!

When someone on here says it should be food truck prices, I was thinking cheap. I would have brought in food if it wasnt for them saying that. Then the dollar extra for a shot with a beer, bullshit as well. You favorite chinese restaurant isn't CBS Seafood is it? Best Dim Sum around, IMO. And it is just up the street from the historical park. I wonder if your partner was the guy who was playing my friend. He was working a lot less hard then my friend, but my friend won by luck. I probably won't go next year.
cpart

Postby jkisha » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:13 am

I like CBS too, but that wasn't the one. I don't even know the name of that restaurant and we eat there probably once a month. It located in the back of what looks like an abandoned shopping area and can barely be seen from the street.

Do you live in Los Angeles?

cpart wrote:
jkisha wrote:LOL This is L.A., everything is expensive, relatively speaking. I didn't recall them making the discount offer for costumes this year.

When someone on here says it should be food truck prices, I was thinking cheap. I would have brought in food if it wasnt for them saying that. Then the dollar extra for a shot with a beer, bullshit as well. You favorite chinese restaurant isn't CBS Seafood is it? Best Dim Sum around, IMO. And it is just up the street from the historical park. I wonder if your partner was the guy who was playing my friend. He was working a lot less hard then my friend, but my friend won by luck. I probably won't go next year.
JK
jkisha

Postby trilobyte » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:32 am

Sorry to hear of your experiences, cpart. I think it's a 'mileage may vary' thing regarding food truck prices, though. The food truck renaissance that's been going on up here in SF and down in LA for the last 3-5 years has been spendier than your old school 'roach coach' type place. When I saw mention of food trucks I immediately figure it's going to be upwards of $10 for a meal. As for beer stands, that seems to be a universal wtf in the pricing department - I've never been to a street fair or festival that wasn't charging an arm and a leg at the beer stand. It may have something to do with the cost of that kind of liquor license or vending permits or something, who knows.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Next

Return to Regionals & Events