Great Places Of History!

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Great Places Of History!

Postby trilobyte » Thu Sep 29, 2011 4:18 pm

Wow... TIME Magazine has included Burning Man in its book "Great Places of History: Civilization's 100 Most Important Sites: An Illustrated Journey" (Amazon link). Take a look at the ToC, we're at #100 under Arts.

I mean, *I* know the event is important and special, but there's something strangely gratifying to see that a name-brand publication would agree. So what do you think - is this a good thing? Could it help to open the eyes of more people, and expose them to the realm of what's possible? Or will it just increase the spectator/tourist headcount as more people put it on their bucket lists?
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Great Places Of History!

Postby Sham » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:28 pm

I get excited when I hear Burning Man as an answer on Jeopardy. It will become one of the world's greatest vanishing cities.
Sham

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:32 pm

These things always seem like some sort of idiocy to me. Even at 100 entries, it's only a tiny sample of cool cities ("great"? I don't even know what that means in this context*) and someone else could easily come up with a substatially different one. And a list made 100 years ago is going to vary a lot. And you get to 1000 years ago, and it's pretty much another planet...

I'm in the "any publicity is bad publicity" camp, I suppose, but that's a different sort of answer.

*I suppose you could call Leningrad for what it went through in WWII, but Stalingrad wasn't. London could be as well, but it would be on the list from anyone in Europe for the past 300 years or more. Ur? Cairo? Is greatness military prowess? Fantastic buildings? Am I even asking the right questions?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Get a Taint, you pathetic cur!
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Elderberry » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:51 pm

Definitely gives the event validation--which begs the questions: "Did it really need validation?" and "Now that it has been validated as 'One of civilization's most important sites', does that value or devalue the event?"

I think I liked it better when it was thought of as "counter culture".
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
Elderberry

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:45 pm

Amazes me that some people welcome publicity about what they do on vacation. Who the fuck are you, Prince Fucking William or Kate Fucking Middleton?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:58 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I'm in the "any publicity is bad publicity" camp, I suppose, but that's a different sort of answer.

+1

The first rule about Fight Club is..
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Eric » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:09 pm

junglesmacks wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:I'm in the "any publicity is bad publicity" camp, I suppose, but that's a different sort of answer.

+1

The first rule about Fight Club is..

yup.
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Bob » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:16 pm

Apropos of nothing, I can't believe we lost all the John Tesh material from the pre-2004 eplaya.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby hookahdude » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:16 am

I think someone needs to start that theme camp and try to get it positioned right next to center camp... So the board can see it every day.
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby Zhust » Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:00 am

To me, showing up in a Time Magazine coffee-table book is as close to "no publicity" as I could hope for. I mean, who buys these things? My guess is that it's either people who never travel but like to pretend that a book or movie approximates the experience, or it's people who do a bit of research before tackling something like traveling the Nile.

Worst would be a cover article in Maxim or Playboy. I may be projecting, but readers of those magazines tend to see "boobies" and "free", point, and tell their bros, "we're there, bros." Then they throw a few thousand dollars at it and head to the desert.

And I think there already is an "Any Publicity is Bad Publicity Camp". There are a lot of them. I have yet to see one on the Esplanade. They often use misdirection, like advertising "RV America" instead. Or they look like they belong at Yellowstone instead: everything stowed, nobody home, and no bar.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist
Zhust

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Return to Experiences at Burning Man