RSS feed

Want to request a new feature? You've come to the right place...

RSS feed

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:41 pm

Hey Trilobyte, how about installing an RSS Feed module when you have a minute?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: RSS feed

Postby trilobyte » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:52 pm

Great idea, it's also on my list of 'technical goo'. Like the image resizer Crypto had mentioned and a couple other things that are also in the queue, it requires taking care of a minor site update first. I don't have an exact date for that, but hope to get to it sometime soon.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:54 pm

Thanks!
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:48 pm

trilobyte wrote:Great idea, it's also on my list of 'technical goo'. Like the image resizer Crypto had mentioned and a couple other things that are also in the queue, it requires taking care of a minor site update first. I don't have an exact date for that, but hope to get to it sometime soon.

Any plans on fixing links so that they properly open in a new window?

Also, I'm on other phpBB boards that allow one to block obnoxious sig pictures in their profile (although I may have added the obnoxious part).
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:51 pm

Disregard my second point and file it under seek and ye shall find, mea culpa.
Sic Pup

Postby trilobyte » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:56 pm

No plans to change it so links open in a separate window. That's actually a bit of a web design standards issue, with the general consensus being that opening a link in a new window should be a user's choice, and not forced upon them by a web/site designer. Additionally, forcing a link in a new window essentially breaks the back button functionality of the browser. Feel free to shift-click/ctrl-click/cmd-click or whatever you do today to open a link in a new tab or window as you see fit.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:11 pm

Actually, I think he was referring to links that take you away from this site. And I believe the web standard for that is to open them in a different window. Internal links should open in the same window. But, I could be wrong about that.
JK
jkisha

Postby trilobyte » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:43 pm

That's what I was referring to as well. And I'm pretty sure you're wrong on that one (having spent some time researching it this past summer). The site used to open external links (links to pages that weren't on ePlaya) in a new window by default. After one of the upgrades, it stopped doing that. That's because the forcing to new window code was deprecated by the W3C, and as I'd mentioned the general consensus was that good design gives users choice, not takes it away. There are a number of articles on the subject out there, this one comes to mind. The change seemed odd at first, but after doing some reading on the subject and talking it over with UX designers and paying a bit more attention to my own web usage, I agree with their thinking.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:33 pm

Not the first time! Good article.
trilobyte wrote:That's what I was referring to as well. And I'm pretty sure you're wrong on that one (having spent some time researching it this past summer). The site used to open external links (links to pages that weren't on ePlaya) in a new window by default. After one of the upgrades, it stopped doing that. That's because the forcing to new window code was deprecated by the W3C, and as I'd mentioned the general consensus was that good design gives users choice, not takes it away. There are a number of articles on the subject out there, this one comes to mind. The change seemed odd at first, but after doing some reading on the subject and talking it over with UX designers and paying a bit more attention to my own web usage, I agree with their thinking.
JK
jkisha

Postby Sic Pup » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:54 pm

trilobyte wrote:No

Thanks for the quick response. Right click it is .
Sic Pup

Return to Feature Requests