2011 MOOP Map Live

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.

Re: 2011 MOOP Map Live

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:14 am

junglesmacks wrote:See the asshats thread. Im assuming the crawfish came from gumbo which came from the Black Rock French Quarter.

Funny you should mention... 7:30 and Espy... Crawdad feed... BRFQ. Which just happened to be where they picked up those little crusty crawdad parts... funny how the 2 intermingled. Hmmm... maybe the the idea to do Pesce du Cray should go away... either figure out a moop plan for this, or DON'T FUCKING DO IT!!!
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:20 am

It's sort of funny trying to pronounce your signature in Russian! LOL (and my rudimentary knowledge of the language makes it even funnier, I'm sure.)
Bay Bridge Sue wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:See the asshats thread. Im assuming the crawfish came from gumbo which came from the Black Rock French Quarter.

Funny you should mention... 7:30 and Espy... Crawdad feed... BRFQ. Which just happened to be where they picked up those little crusty crawdad parts... funny how the 2 intermingled. Hmmm... maybe the the idea to do Pesce du Cray should go away... either figure out a moop plan for this, or DON'T FUCKING DO IT!!!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:38 am

jkisha wrote:It's sort of funny trying to pronounce your signature in Russian! LOL (and my rudimentary knowledge of the language makes it even funnier, I'm sure.)

Is something like...

SHEH RTSTIY "TS" IYI "GTSLAG"!

DRFKILIRTIKD TOOF DVANATSET

SHEH AYAHEH SHAT·SNIYIG UFTS!

Should to read... something of similar to...

Мы ставим "У" в "ГУЛАГ"
Апокилиптика 2012
Мы наблюдаем за вами.

Lassen Forge

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:49 am

in all honesty Bob, and all snarkiness aside, i think mutual respect would go a long way...maybe trade places....let the Large Sound Camp Leaders do the DPW line sweeps (see burning Blog, the "Dirty Thirty") and have DPW sit in on the unload, set-up, rigging, engineering, security etc etc that the LSC's do (i'm sure some already do, as alot of large heavy equipment is shared along the ten o'clock side) and i think they would realize that they are quite similar...it takes ALOT of fucking work to set up a proper stage, sound rig, lighting, aerialist rig and so on, just as it takes herculean dedication to be a member of DPW...both tend to really love what they do also, otherwise they wouldn't be doing it, voluntarily, in the worst of conditions (esp. applicable for sound camps and their equipment)...yes, some respect, earned only of course, but i think the bullshit "ART FAGS vs. SPARKLEPONIES" needs to end...there is alot of crossover demographics going on whether we want to admit it or not.

and besides, some of my best friends are "Sparkle Ponies", as well as some are "The ones who wear black"..

can't we all find some way to get along?
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:12 am

I meant to type, "Shouldn't their promoters get as much DPW love as the builders of big art?"

And I'm at least half-serious. Rave camps sell tickets. Temples sell tickets, and believe me, art moop is four orders of magnitude more ponderous than theme camp moop. DPW picks up after everyone, indiscriminately, and ensures that you can buy a ticket the following year. Win-win-win. Life goes on.

Call me cynical, but the moop maps remind me of the Keep America Beautiful campaign wrt the interstate highway system. The Wikipedia says it was founded in 1953. How's that working out?

How about moop credits, like carbon credits? Then you could paint the whole place green, or at least chartreuse.

<cue weeping "Indian">
Last edited by Bob on Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:14 am

.dp.

Bob

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:16 am

Lots of things worked in the 1950's that could never work in today's world.

Bob wrote:I meant to type, "Shouldn't their promoters get as much DPW love as the builders of big art?"

And I'm at least half-serious. Rave camps sell tickets. Temples sell tickets, and believe me, art moop is four orders of magnitude more ponderous than theme camp moop. DPW picks up after everyone, indiscriminately, and ensures that you can buy a ticket the following year. Win-win-win. Life goes on.

Call me cynical, but the moop maps remind me of the Keep America Beautiful campaign wrt the interstate highway system. The Wikipedia says it was founded in 1953. How's that working out?

How about moop credits, like carbon credits? Then you could paint the whole place green.

<cue weeping "Indian">
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby robrob » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:59 am

seems easy enough to require big sound camps contribute a playa restoration representative as a condition of placement?
robrob

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: smoregasm

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:50 pm

yes, first born, and half of all beatport royalties too while we're at it.

i like bob's idea....just straight up bribing the DPW with bags of cash is way things should be done....fuck it, to hell with decommidification, the events over at that point.

then maybe they could buy them some new boots.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:53 pm

Isn't that what they are trying to do now with the "Dirty Thirty"?
(Though only five seemed to bother to send representatives.)
robrob wrote:seems easy enough to require big sound camps contribute a playa restoration representative as a condition of placement?
JK
jkisha

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:54 pm

DEAR TEMPLE OF BOOM,

PLEASE FED-EX $10,000 in unmarked TWENTIES, and 100 cases of Jameson's, and a Big Eight :twisted: and all will be forgiven.

Love, and Hate.

The DPW Ghetto.
one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:10 pm

It's gonna take a fuckload more than just an eight.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:38 pm

Thirty more people, yeah, I read about that.

Thirty more beds in Bruno's trailer park, thirty more seats at Bruno's commissary. Thirty more personnel files, thirty more Welcome Home interviews, thirty more background checks, thirty more company manuals, thirty more IRS filings, thirty more sets of PPE, thirty more Go The Fuck Home interviews.

Bob

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:01 pm

If it wasn't for the evil encroachment of Defaultia, I would MOST CERTAINLY be out there doing sweeps... I wish I could have this year, and had I known about this "30" project, I might well have worked something out. AFAIK we never got the word, never heard... but hopefully next year our camp can change that, now that we know about it.
Lassen Forge

Postby EspressoDude » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:05 pm

junglesmacks wrote:It's gonna take a fuckload more than just an eight.

Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:16 pm

I'll go back if they let me drive the Steiger.

Bob

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:21 pm

junglesmacks wrote:It's gonna take a fuckload more than just an eight.

junglesmacks

Postby EspressoDude » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:39 pm

On the way out Tuesday morning before sunrise we did see a fleet of 30 yard side dumpers headed from Gerlach toward the entrance....
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby The CO » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:48 pm

Aug 11 placement announcement.

BBSue wrote:If it wasn't for the evil encroachment of Defaultia, I would MOST CERTAINLY be out there doing sweeps... I wish I could have this year, and had I known about this "30" project, I might well have worked something out. AFAIK we never got the word, never heard... but hopefully next year our camp can change that, now that we know about it.

Placement Announce wrote:"Does the end of Burning Man come too soon for you? Here's a very special invitation to come back and restore the playa

ANNOUNCING: THE DIRTY THIRTY

Playa Restoration is creating an all-star volunteer team of 30 participants representing 30 Theme Camps who come back to the playa for the first 3 days of Restoration (9.19.11 to 9.20.11) and joins with Playa Restoration in keeping the playa beautiful and making the Moop Map happen. This mission will be a bridge between Playa Restoration and the Theme Camp Community.

The team is code named: THE DIRTY THIRTY.
Are you in it to win it? We are. Join us.

email: playarestoration@burningman.com.
Subject: THE DIRTY THIRTY.
Tell me what Theme Camp you officially represent, a little about yourself, and your intentions for joining Playa Restoration's first annual Dirty Thirty.
If accepted, you will be notified by us no later than 9/7 (two days after the burn)."

I would have been there if my house had not been forclosed on whilst I was in BRC.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:54 pm

Cheyenne wrote:As an archaeologist, I'm always intrigued about what we dig up and are considered 'the small things forgotten' aspects of the past.

I know that the site moves slightly every year, but what is the possibility that some items yielded up by the playa are actually from past years? and Crawfish?

I have a story for you. Although, I might not really have been the burn...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:59 pm

Shit, CO. Want me to run over some banker's toes?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Lassen Forge » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:32 pm

WTF???!!!
Lassen Forge

Postby Cheyenne » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:26 am

I think, considering the video on youtube I saw of burning man in 1996, any number of things could be yielded up by a la playa...

I mean, dogs on the playa???

Should we be worried about the possibility of petrefied dog poo from 15 years ago turning up in our moop lines ?

:-S

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby trilobyte » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:06 am

People bring dogs to 4th of Juplaya, too. You wouldn't believe the things they've found in the past... buried lumber and scrap metal, even a junk car once (as legend has it).

Looks like we've gotten an update. Disorient's sound system/dance area was a solid red, and that other big block of red mentioned in the blog at 2:00 & B was the pub, wasn't it?

trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby hookahdude » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:56 am

Gee, what a surprise.... a sound camp is solid red. The areas across the playa outside the sound camps were red and, the new rating, black.

Shocking.

It is said that MOOP levels have some impact on placement consideration. I would like to think this is true. Might I recommend reducing the size down to 1/4 of what RED offenders were given prior years and then have them EARN space back. Offenders in the black should be, from here forward, not given space the following year to give the offenders an opportunity to truly consider their ineptitude and lack of a clean-up plan.

Just sayin.
Hookah Dude
"In war-time the word patriotism means suppression of truth” - Siegfried Sassoon
I AM AN ASSHAT!!!
(Shooting for 2012 with my better half!)
hookahdude

Postby jkisha » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:10 am

I think the regular updates are great and add a greater poignancy to the mooping efforts of the dedicated crew that volunteer their service.

I wonder how many of the 50,000 attendees actually are following the progress and what percentage don't have a clue it even happens?
JK
jkisha

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:17 am

hookahdude wrote:Gee, what a surprise.... a sound camp is solid red. The areas across the playa outside the sound camps were red and, the new rating, black.

Just sayin.

Au contraire. I see green all along the 2 side. Not just the sound camps in yellow with many in green. Lets keep it in perspective here.
junglesmacks

Postby Roberto Dobbisano » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:18 am

OK, I'M READY, LETS CLEAN THIS SHIT UP.

one nation, under a groove.
Roberto Dobbisano

Postby trilobyte » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:54 am

There's a reason why the sound camps at 2:00 and 10:00 had such a wider-reaching MOOP footprint. This year, the camps were allowed to set their sound system/installation up on the other side of the street. That is, the open playa - exactly where you see the colored spots. Had they been confined to their placement locations within the city, so would their MOOP footprint.

I don't have any involvement with the placement teams, and couldn't comment on why they allowed it this year. Maybe it was a space issue, maybe they thought that it would make things easier for them to clean up... I don't know. It's probably also worth pointing out that a number of the big sound camps managed to pull off yellow (which is an improvement for some). Hardly a gold star, but it's progress. I'm a fan of both big sound and big art, but think that the people who bring those things out need to do a better job of factoring in the cleanup involved.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby pinemom » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:56 am

Well considering all the camp bars in the last 6 years Ive cleaned up after and always got Green, this year was no different in the way we left it, this yr we even moved all vehicles and mooped again. there was nothing!!!

So to wake up to a big yellow was a fucking slap in the face!!!!

and worse....they dont even tell you WHAT made the mark down!!!! I need answers! DAMNIT ALL TO HELL JIM!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

PreviousNext

Return to Leave No Trace