2011 MOOP Map Live

Talk about your camp or project's LNT plans (and MOOP problems) here. Ask questions or share ideas on what works and what doesn't.

Re: 2011 MOOP Map Live

Postby lemur » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:23 am

deutlich wrote:
lemur wrote:
deutlich wrote:... Very interested to see what happens as they near center camp.

why is that? is that where you were camped?

No, I haven't Ben to bm yet. I've read so much about MOOP & sparkle ponies on the boards, though, that I wondered if there'll be a significant difference in colors in the rest of BRC (record breaking sales and all).

I guess I'm curious if there'll be a few more hotspots or if it stayed in line with the decreasing trend of MOOP over the last few years.

id expect some red and yellow all over center camp camps...

lotsa those camps are there for 3-4 weeks...and of course are heavily visited...thats a lot of time for moop to get mushed into the dust and go unseen until a good raking by the pros at the restoration crew.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Fiver » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:53 am

BBadger wrote:That damn BBadger is always complaining about something; it's like it's his only "contribution." Nothing will ever satisfy that asshole.

Anyway, here's a JPG version of the TIF. It's pretty nice seeing the camp details with the MOOP:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84 ... pday2.jpg/

Sorry, I only work un-compressed. Anyone can make a silly .jpg but details are in the .tifs!
Your .jpg version doesn't have the resolution to see the actual moop.
Fiver

Burning Since: 2011

Postby BBadger » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:48 pm

Fiver wrote:
BBadger wrote:That damn BBadger is always complaining about something; it's like it's his only "contribution." Nothing will ever satisfy that asshole.

Anyway, here's a JPG version of the TIF. It's pretty nice seeing the camp details with the MOOP:

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/84 ... pday2.jpg/

Sorry, I only work un-compressed. Anyone can make a silly .jpg but details are in the .tifs!
Your .jpg version doesn't have the resolution to see the actual moop.

My bad. I forgot that they don't have those temporal extensions either that allow us to see where the MOOP is after the burn.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Ano » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:59 pm

Ouch, a black spot appeared on Day 3. Anyone have an updated BRC-MOOP map layover? I lack the technical skills to make one myself, and I just spent a good amount of time trying to... failed miserably. :oops:
Ano

Camp Name: ???

Postby BBadger » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:21 am

Glad the area where we camped was green compared to yellow as I saw on the map last year.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby EspressoDude » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:08 am

wow what a mess at 10:15 and Esplanade! A new color added = BLACK 50 man hours by line sweepers to clean that one spot

http://blog.burningman.com/2011/09/news/moop-map-live-day-3-esplanade-and-the-big-black-spot/
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:08 pm

Ruh roh. I know a certain Simon that predicted exactly that.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby trilobyte » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:30 pm

Gee, that black spot is right about where Rites Of Zion / Bass Camp /Temple Of Boom guys were set up.

In other news, that horrible bit of red on the 9:00 spoke is where a bank of porta-potties were that had turned into a bicycle dumping ground by Monday.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby AntiM » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:51 am

Utah hangs its collective head in shame. I never ventured near the camp, and I am ashamed of the black spot. :evil:
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby lemur » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:24 am

sorry guys, i had diarrhea and couldnt make it to the porta potties in time..

sorry for the black spot, it was a lot..

wow it sure did feel good to let go...

being regular on the playa is great, dont underestimate it
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby Fiver » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:22 pm

Fiver

Postby Eric » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:28 pm

I love the super uncompressed version almost as much as I love the fact that Fandango is green (except for one little tiny red dot :( )
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby bubbavic » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:10 pm

So beyond the silent finger waggling that we all do when we're looking at the red and *ugh* black spot, are there any repercussions for camps that lived in the offending locations? I'll grant that just because they were there during the burn does not mean they are guilty of the MOOPage (is that even a word around here?) but evidence points some lack of vigilance.

I doubt the DPW has the time or bandwidth to send out nastygrams for prior years offenses but it seems like something beyond communal head shaking should be done to communicate that camps need to do better.
aka FlyingSquirrel =)
bubbavic

Postby trilobyte » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:17 pm

It is my understanding that Placement takes prior years' MOOP Map under consideration when determining a registered theme camp's application.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Dustdevil » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:28 pm

Trilobyte,

You are absolutely correct! And beyond that, peer pressure is often a very effective method to accomplish a goal.
Those who think they can and those who think they can't are both right.
Dustdevil

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Brain Freeze / Got Stickers Camp

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:58 pm

So.. interesting followup to BlackSpotgate 2011 - http://blog.burningman.com/2011/09/news ... ty-thirty/

"This year, the DPW Playa Restoration team performed a “MOOP Audit” of two major sound camps: Rites of Zion and Disorient, which occupied the 10:00 and 2:00 corners of the Esplanade respectively. Here’s what we found: Both camps passed with flying colors, and both are marked Green on the MOOP Map. However, something interesting happened: The areas outside those two major camps were very messy. Not just there, but all along the 10:00 side of the open playa: MOOP galore. Though the theme campers did a good job of cleaning up their own areas, it would appear that they couldn’t tackle the mess left in the open playa. Technically, 100 feet into the open playa is still considered part of the camp — and in the case of Rites of Zion, their “Temple of BOOM” outpost was a SERIOUS mess and would easily have failed a BLM inspection, canceling Burning Man for 2012."
junglesmacks

Postby Mr.Coffee » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:14 pm

I am ashamed to admit that my camp is in the yellow. I MOOPed pretty thoroughly the day before I left, and then did another 30 mins before we headed out. Thought I got everything. I monday morning, though, and had many camp mates who weren't leaving until tuesday. I guess that's further reason to stay an extra day next year.
"TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
"TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
"DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra
Mr.Coffee

Postby jkisha » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:49 pm

It might not be MOOP that got you the yellow. It could have been playa scars from tires or dumping water that left a scar, etc. It wasn't until we found out about these types of things from the Earth Guardians that we started getting green consistently.
Mr.Coffee wrote:I am ashamed to admit that my camp is in the yellow. I MOOPed pretty thoroughly the day before I left, and then did another 30 mins before we headed out. Thought I got everything. I monday morning, though, and had many camp mates who weren't leaving until tuesday. I guess that's further reason to stay an extra day next year.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Mr.Coffee » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:18 pm

jkisha wrote:It might not be MOOP that got you the yellow. It could have been playa scars from tires or dumping water that left a scar, etc. It wasn't until we found out about these types of things from the Earth Guardians that we started getting green consistently.

well, I parked the van on carpet samples, but when I left our evap pond was still up, so who knows what it looked like underneath. also the scaffolding tower probably left scars as well.
"TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
"TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
"DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra
Mr.Coffee

Postby AntiM » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:06 am

I am pretty sure we have left the black tire marks in the past. That will be a top priority for us in the future then!

One response to the blog on the Utah Burner FB site:

We can't completely blame the TOB/ROZ crew for not cleaning up. Its EVERY BURNER'S responsibility to ensure we're not leaving crap behind.

This pisses me off to no end. A camp which draws a huge crowd needs a huge clean up plan.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:06 am

Well, they are talking about breaking up banks that are too big to fail. Maybe BMORG should start talking about breaking up camps that are too big to MOOP.

By chastising camps for not moping on one hand, but then sending out crews to clean up after them on the other, isn't that just tacitly giving approval for them to do it again? The appearance given is that the value provided by those camps is more important than all the grandiose talk of leave no trace.

AntiM wrote:I am pretty sure we have left the black tire marks in the past. That will be a top priority for us in the future then!

One response to the blog on the Utah Burner FB site:

We can't completely blame the TOB/ROZ crew for not cleaning up. Its EVERY BURNER'S responsibility to ensure we're not leaving crap behind.

This pisses me off to no end. A camp which draws a huge crowd needs a huge clean up plan.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:15 am

Shouldn't the fabulous rave camps featured at 2:00 & 10:00 be mapped and judged on the same basis as art installations?
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:16 am

What basis is that?

Bob wrote:Shouldn't the fabulous rave camps featured at 2:00 & 10:00 be mapped and judged on the same basis as art installations?
JK
jkisha

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:41 am

In their conception, the rave camps are convinced they're doing high art in which *everyone* participates. Since the art installations don't even get flagged on the moop map, shouldn't the same apply to the rave camps?

Bob

Postby Simon of the Playa » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:52 am

no...the large sound camps and their guests need to work together to clean up their shit....period....this includes the 100 or so feet that constitutes the "Dance Floor"...

the dancers and the DJ's need to own their moop like they own their party.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby illy dilly » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:02 am

jkisha wrote:Well, they are talking about breaking up banks that are too big to fail. Maybe BMORG should start talking about breaking up camps that are too big to MOOP.

By chastising camps for not moping on one hand, but then sending out crews to clean up after them on the other, isn't that just tacitly giving approval for them to do it again? The appearance given is that the value provided by those camps is more important than all the grandiose talk of leave no trace.

I believe that there is a "Theme camp Permanent File" or some sort of thing. If you turn out to be a red spot on the MOOP Map it goes in your Permanent file, and will be considered heavily for placement the next year.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Cheyenne » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:06 am

As an archaeologist, I'm always intrigued about what we dig up and are considered 'the small things forgotten' aspects of the past.

I know that the site moves slightly every year, but what is the possibility that some items yielded up by the playa are actually from past years? and Crawfish?

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:09 am

I agree, but isn't then the biggest part of the problem the type of people those camps tend to attract? The frat crowd that everyone always talk about changing the character of the event after Wednesday, that come only to party and don't give a crap about the principals and probably couldn't tell you what the word MOOP even means? How are DJs supposed to own that?

Simon of the Playa wrote:no...the large sound camps and their guests need to work together to clean up their shit....period....this includes the 100 or so feet that constitutes the "Dance Floor"...

the dancers and the DJ's need to own their moop like they own their party.
JK
jkisha

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:10 am

See the asshats thread. Im assuming the crawfish came from gumbo which came from the Black Rock French Quarter.
junglesmacks

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:33 am

But the rave defines Burning Man as much as the Temple or the Man. Should their promoters get as much DPW love as the builders of big art?

Bob

PreviousNext

Return to Leave No Trace