RV Purchase Advice Needed!

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: RV Purchase Advice Needed!

Postby Mosin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:16 pm

Re. saving money on rental costs by buying an old rv, for the most part I was being sarcastic, insofar as we could have never imagined the giant sucking sound Pandora created as she unleashed her wrath on our bank account, and then credit cards. We think her PO must have dumped black water on an ancient Indian burial ground c. 1979, :shock: but I digress. So those seeking to "save money" like us could very well be in for a rude awakening.With that said, if you low-ballpark a rental to do the entire burn at ~$2K, that is at least ~$8K saved over four burns. We have also done the High Sierra Music Fest for the past four years in Pandora... hence another ~$8K in rental fees. So pending epic breakdown and failures of the Pandora variety and the amount you use the rig, the savings could actually add up pretty quickly.
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....
Mosin

Burning Since: 2007

Postby MartyZion » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:36 pm

Mosin-
Pandora's a thing of beauty. I love what you've done in the doghouse, that 440 is cherry. Edelbrock, Hedman's, very nicely done. A well restored old RV trumps the modern rental experience hands down in my book. I'll look out for her next year on the playa.

Jcliff-
I'd say go for it and paint away. You may want to experiment with an opaque projector if you want to replicate a logo or particular pattern your RV. You project the image on the RV surface and fill in the design with paint, sort of like paint-by-numbers.
MartyZion

Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: AEZ

Postby illy dilly » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:40 am

MartyZion wrote:Jcliff-
I'd say go for it and paint away. You may want to experiment with an opaque projector if you want to replicate a logo or particular pattern your RV. You project the image on the RV surface and fill in the design with paint, sort of like paint-by-numbers.

This is a great idea!
I've seen people paint murals on walls with this approach. Its much easier for many artists to draw/paint/design something on paper, then transfer it to a wall. I've also seen totally inartistic people use this same approach for decorating *chill* rooms.
This is a great idea!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby illy dilly » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:47 am

Mosin wrote:With that said, if you low-ballpark a rental to do the entire burn at ~$2K, that is at least ~$8K saved over four burns. We have also done the High Sierra Music Fest for the past four years in Pandora... hence another ~$8K in rental fees. So pending epic breakdown and failures of the Pandora variety and the amount you use the rig, the savings could actually add up pretty quickly.

I'm with ya 100%
We got our 89' Bounder for $7k we immediatly had to put $1,300 (if memory serves me) in tires on her. We replaced 4 of the six tires. 2 were still in great condition and we moved those to the front.
Then I'd say that we've put another $200-300 in her in random parts: Onan detailed tune up, toilet valve, engine Fan Clutch, chassis tune up, and random fluids and stuff.
We about to drop around $300 on a fuel tank.. BOOOOO!
So over all we're in it for about $9k
This last burn some friends rented from CO and it cost them about $2,800 just for rental/miles + however many generator hours. So if we did that two burns it would be $3,600. We still have a ways to go, but thats only counting rentals for the burn. I'm thinking next spring we're going to Yellow Stone for a week. Also hoping to maybe check out an east coast regional, but we'll see.
It cost us about $1,300 in gas to get to BRC and back to Denver this year, so we'll have to see about next year.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Mosin » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:27 pm

@Marty: thanks!! I decided to go all out on the rebuild, and it has served us very well for ~30K miles so far. I can't say it gets good mileage, but I can say it is a reliable beast. :twisted:

@Illy: I forgot just how expensive tires are. We had to replace all 6 immediately, which was $1,600. The tread is still in great shape @ over 30K miles, but the ibdave's sidewall/blowout warning has me paranoid, so I'm considering replacing the front two. But at ~$9K you got off relatively easy! Let's hope Jcliff has the same experience.
Come down with fire - Lift my spirit higher -Someone's screaming my name - Come and make me holy again....
Mosin

Burning Since: 2007

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping