Carnaval: Night in Brazil Dance

Exchange camp ideas, find places to perform, announce your events, etc.

Carnaval: Night in Brazil Dance

Postby waltsnipe » Thu Jun 24, 2004 10:38 am

Tuesday on the playa in '04: 8-10:45pm, Carnaval: Night in Brazil Dance. Held at SCARAB/Electra camp, and simulcast on Radio Electra. Free colorfully-labelled CDs of the night's music mix to the first 50 dancers.

I've always wished there was more world music on the playa, so starting in '02 I've sponsored an annual world music community dance on Tuesday nights. In '02, it was the Night at the Oasis Dance, which featured North African music as played in the expatriate nightclubs of Paris. Last year, it was the Night in Africa Dance, featuring great Sub-Saharan dance music from Africa. This year, I've got some Brazilian mixes that I think people will really like. Wear Carnaval attire (which can be pretty similar to playa attire as to very "abbreviated" costumes, I suppose), and dance with us under the stars.

waltsnipe, SCARAB Camp

ps. in '05, it will be "Mardi Gras: Night in New Orleans Dance". Hey, everyone knows New Orleans is its own funky country anyway, right.....?
waltsnipe

Music?

Postby cowgirl » Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:48 pm

What type of music will you play?

i.e What bands and types of brazilian music?
cowgirl

Postby waltsnipe » Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:15 pm

Different styles and eras: Here's a taster of the first four tracks:

1. Jorge Ben--"Umbabarauma"
2. Mocidade Independente Padre Miguel--"Miscelanea de Ritmo"
3. Aleh--"Sou do Bem"
4. Barrio Jazz Gang--"Linda Cacao"

Samba ti!

waltsnipe
waltsnipe

--"Umbabarauma"

Postby cowgirl » Fri Jun 25, 2004 11:06 am

one my favorites!
cowgirl

Simulcast on Radio Electra, 89.9 FM

Postby waltsnipe » Thu Jul 01, 2004 8:56 am

Concerning the Radio Electra simulcast of the Carnaval: Night in Brazil Dance this year on the playa (Tues. night, 8-10:45pm), I just found out that Radio Electra will be broadcasting at 89.9 on your FM dial this year.

Here's hoping that everyone who can't join us will at least tune in for some fine, butt-shaking Brazilian music!

waltsnipe, SCARAB Camp musical director
waltsnipe

still happening?

Postby cowgirl » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:49 pm

refresh my memory about all this...

is it still happening???
cowgirl

FCC Bullshit

Postby PantyMechanix » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:28 pm

Are you sure the FCC won't come in again and shut down the stations like last year?
PantyMechanix

still goin' on

Postby waltsnipe » Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:41 am

Yep, the Carnaval: Night in Brazil Dance is still going on. It will be from 8-10:45pm Tuesday night on the playa. It will be held at SCARAB/Electra camps, in The Cult of E.R.I.C. Village. We are located at 6:30 between Venus and Earth. We'll have the dance space decorated out like Rio, and the whole thing will be simulcast on Radio Electra, 89.9 FM.

Come join us, dressed in your Carnaval finery. Free CDs of the night's mix to the first 50 dancers (hips must gyrate with us to get one.....in past years, I got cleaned out by grab-and-runners and the true participants who came to dance often didn't get a CD).

Cowgirl--we look forward to your samba class conga-lining down from the Man to join us!

WaltSnipe, SCARAB Camp Musical Director

ps. the whole FCC pirate radio thing was just a rumor. To my knowledge, no one actually got shut down last year, and in fact it is doubtful that the FCC was even at the event. Still, in an effort to head such a thing off, my understanding is that the playa radio guys have gotten together to make sure that no one's signal goes off the playa......which is likely the only thing the FCC would care about, anyway.
waltsnipe

Carnaval!

Postby cowgirl » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:03 am

Darling, I wouldn't miss it!

~Cowgirl
cowgirl

Thanks, Black Rock City!

Postby waltsnipe » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:42 am

Many thanks to all those Burners who came to shake pelvises (pelvi?) at my Carnaval: Night in Brazil Dance Tuesday night on the playa, SCARAB Camp. Despite the weather, we had a great turnout for the steamy sounds from Rio, and I really appreciate all you who braved the elements to join us.

Next year's Tuesday night community dance will be Mardi Gras: Night in New Orleans Dance. I've already ordered the first 9-pound bag of beads.........

Thanks again,

waltsnipe, SCARAB Camp
waltsnipe

!!!

Postby cowgirl » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:44 am

It was fantastic! I listened to the mix on the way out on Monday.... Thank you!
cowgirl

~

Postby sparkletarte » Sat Sep 11, 2004 10:22 am

Aw, I missed it, like dozens of other things...
sparkletarte

Return to 2004 Camps, Art & Activities