Handcuffs as a bike lock?

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to the year-specific Share Resources board.

Re: Handcuffs as a bike lock?

Postby marck » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:40 pm

Almost all cylinder combo locks are defeatable within minutes. You don't need any special tools, or even light, just start at one end and feel for the tension to ease when you click into the right combo. If you want a combo lock then I would suggest spending a little more for a more secure combo lock.

Handcuffs/shackels/leg irons can also be easily defeated if they use the standard key. The only nneeded is something small and rigid. A zip tie will work. Double locking them will only delay the theif not defeat them. If you use cuffs as your lock, use something unusual so that the causal thief will pass yours by.

I have a set of hand-made shackles with a unique key, not undefeatable but very deterable.

This winter I'm considering installing a lock on my centerstand so that in order to easily move the bike you need to unlock the centerstand. And also rig it so its locks a cable to the stand at the same time.
May Shai-Hulud clear the path for you.

Kомиссáр Logan
Over here sand blows; over there sand blows.
Over there a rich man waits; over here I wait.
Secrets give birth to more secrets
marck

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Playawaste Raiders

Postby The CO » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:23 pm

Bungee cord from tire to frame. It lets people fuck themselves up.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby teardropper » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:41 pm

marck wrote:Almost all cylinder combo locks are defeatable within minutes. You don't need any special tools, or even light, just start at one end and feel for the tension to ease when you click into the right combo.

I have one of the 'defeatable' cylinder locks. Forgot the combo years ago. Just use the first number. It looks locked.
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby gyre » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:02 pm

I would be interested in hearing about the centerstand.

I've been thinking about one and locking it has been a thought.
gyre

Postby marck » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:33 pm

I'll post when that project starts.
I'm still putting stuff away before the weather turns.
May Shai-Hulud clear the path for you.

Kомиссáр Logan
Over here sand blows; over there sand blows.
Over there a rich man waits; over here I wait.
Secrets give birth to more secrets
marck

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Playawaste Raiders

Postby Raymaker » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:33 am

cheap combo locks not worth it, especially when you can't even open them yourself, which is a problem I had this year, luckily someone gifted us a bike lock (with key) for the week.
Raymaker

Postby teardropper » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:57 am

Yeah, well, I can't decide which is worse (or better) having a combo lock I can only remember one number of or a key lock I'm likely to lose the key to? As has been said, if you bring your good bike it could be in jeopardy. The trick is a cheap bike that looks locked with whatever kind of lock. Don' t let it 'walk' away, so put some kind of lock, even those dumb handcuffs, on it. Good bikes are possible losses, no matter what you do. There are actual thieves who target them, no matter what is said about 'who would walk down the street with a pair of bolt cutters?'. Somehow, sometimes they do. Remember, safety third, so first must be don't bring out to the play anything you don't want ruined or lost (or stolen).
\^/
/..\ Furthur
teardropper

Camp Name: The late Lazy Fucks. Now Orphan Eaters.

Postby Eddie » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:55 pm

a cheap frame lock would work well. It's small, stays on the bike, takes a split second to lock (most lock without the key).

You can't even tell it's there, then when some schmuck hops on your bike and tries to peddle away he'll land on his face. Then you can walk over and point and laugh and the bastard.

Keep the handcuffs for sex.
Eddie

Postby illy dilly » Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:27 pm

These combo locks are my new favorite.
True, they are not the most secure in the world. But then again, I'm not locking Gold bars, plutonium, dead bodies, or Nuclear war head launch codes.
I believe 90% of thefts can be avoided by simply making it difficult for the thief.
"Keep the honest people honest, because the dishonest wont stop tell they get what they want."

Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Previous

Return to Transportation