"Second Floor" Camp?

"Second Floor" Camp?

Postby frajen86 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:30 am

Does anyone know the name of the following camp that:
* Had stairs (with handrails) going up to an elevated level (from 8:30 or 9 or 9 and A or B)
* Had a DJ playing minimal techno/deep house on Wednesday into Thursday's sunrise
* Had a bench right to your left as you got to the top of the stars, had a bar on the left-side of the space
* Had a DJ podium, a wood floor, and bamboo "walls"
* Had a ladder down to a mid-level platform

Thanks everyone in advance.
frajen86

Re: "Second Floor" Camp?

Postby frajen86 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:18 pm

Based on this map: http://www.geeked.info/wp-content/uploa ... EP2011.jpg

I think the camp was at 9:30 and B (you can see the shadow is relatively large for the structure on the "top right"):
[attachment=0]What Camp Was This.jpg[/attachment]
Attachments
What Camp Was This.jpg
What Camp Was This.jpg (158.58 KiB) Viewed 2919 times
frajen86

Postby mazatta » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:03 pm

The bar itself was called the Panda Bar, not sure about the camp itself though. My Saturday afternoon got rather *hazy* there...how I made it down the stairs and back to my camp without breaking my neck is beyond me. Anytime they had music going, it was awesome!

Views from the balcony: http://imgur.com/aCMbY and http://imgur.com/yy4wQ
mazatta

Postby frajen86 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:45 am

Yes, thank you so much!!!
frajen86

Postby Mr.Coffee » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:20 pm

I do remember that. We made it by friday night, and the place was fairly packed. They'd gotten tired of bartending, so it was just byob/make your own drink (everything was on the bar). It was a pretty good time. A big thank you to whoever set that place up!
"TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
"TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
"DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra
Mr.Coffee

Postby frajen86 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:49 pm

[quote="Mr.Coffee"]A big thank you to whoever set that place up![/quote]
When searching for "panda bar burning man" I found this:
http://geomium.com/event/panda-lounge-t ... r-1203253/

Panda Lounge: the Burning Man sky bar
Description

Hello burner friends.

The Jelly camp has built a bar in the sky for burning man this year. Please come enjoy it with us.

The panda lounge will be an oasis in the desert, providing views, drinks and beats, located at:

=============
corner of 9:30 and B
=============

Much love and sweat has gone into this beast and we'd love nothing more than to share the fruits of our labor with our closest friends. Look for a panda face in the sky to find us.

Cheers
frajen86

Postby Parasitoid » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:19 am

I just need to chime in and point out that this "Second Floor Camp", which I was sort of across the street from... Got a big fat RED mark on the moop map. I think it is worth mentioning because it means that they really didn't take care of their area and quite honestly it bothers me.
Parasitoid

Postby jkisha » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:22 pm

Parasitoid wrote:I just need to chime in and point out that this "Second Floor Camp", which I was sort of across the street from... Got a big fat RED mark on the moop map. I think it is worth mentioning because it means that they really didn't take care of their area and quite honestly it bothers me.

Always good to point this out.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Cleveland » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:21 pm

Hi, I was one of the creators of the Skybar/Panda lounge
http://clevelandmotley.com/2011/11/04/the-skybar/

Really glad you had a good time. It was a team effort and a lot of fun/work/time/money to bring the panda lounge/skybar to the playa. It was wonderful to be able to contribute something of that scale and it is always nice to hear from people who got to enjoy it. For the five or so people who made it happen by spending everyday in August designing and building it, then the epic journey of striking, transporting, and re-building the skybar on the playa, Then bar-tending all week, cleaning, and finally striking again for transportation, the project turned out to be an incredible amount of work and a really rewarding experience.

I would like to apologize for the Moop report, we are truley sorry, and if we are able to bring something of this magnitude again we will absolutely redouble our mooping efforts. While I would not try and excuse the moop report, I did want to point out that by the end of the burn our small crew was absolutely exhausted. In addition that thing was a magnet for playa gifts, we were unprepared for how much moop the bar would generate. Upon exodus we literally covered the top of the bus with the communities trash, and scoured the playa with magnetic rollars.
We also donated a significant amount of lumber to burners without borders and set up our location with them as a cross playa depot for other people to leave lumber for donation. It is possible that people left additional gifts after we left. Every morning we cleaned and stored a significant amount of moop. Knowing this, we will use last year as an example and if we are able to do something like this again, have a more clearly labeled moop receptacle system and a better exodus plan. Big thank you to the DPW Playa restoration crew for their excellent work.

Glad people got to have a good time with it,

Cleveland
Cleveland

Postby trilobyte » Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:32 am

Glad you guys had fun, but if you can't be responsible for it...don't bring it. If your teardown crew won't be around or can't be responsible for the area, don't volunteer yourselves to be a dropoff point (there were plenty that people could get to easily).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby mazatta » Sat Dec 31, 2011 10:11 am

Cleveland - where are you guys based out of?
mazatta

Postby Cleveland » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:32 pm

We were just a few friends in SF.
Cleveland

Return to 2011 Theme Camps