The Pier

Re: The Pier

Postby dingonv » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:45 pm

want to see more pics from everyone else!

if you post to flickr, please tag or describe with appropriate words (the pier burningman 2011) and they will show up in this search result :)
http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=the+pier+burning+man+2011&ss=2
dingonv

Postby Iago » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:49 pm

What I loved about the Pier is that it could only make sense at Burning Man. Can't believe how much fun I had on it. Everyone seem to get it instantly. Never seen such a great interactive crowd in years and this is coming from a 14 year jaded veteran.... Please bring it back next year.
THANK YOU !!!
Iago

Burning Since: 1998
Camp Name: I Camp Remember

Postby Snow » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:25 pm

YAY Pier! You guys delivered, and then some. A HUGE addition to the playa. I never did catch a sparkle pony though. But I did have fun grabbing someones bait when riding by a few times.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby fbcota » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:14 pm

Ok, so The Pier is coming back. Yep, we are bringing it back. And well, since I have made some statements about not really liking seeing art come back we are making some changes. Those changes will be,.... destructive. Maybe a destructive ode to that fabled ship the La Contessa. Yep, I said it. Big shoes to fill yea? We think so.

Stay tuned, I will give some more details as we decide to leak them out. But, let me say this. The Pier is going to be the same awesome place to be, it will just have a bit more of a story to tell :).
fbcota

Postby Savannah » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:16 pm

YES! And next time I will stay a while. :D

(If I post a new avatar, it's probably gonna be a pic of lolling about on your masterpiece.)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:21 pm

fbcota wrote:Ok, so The Pier is coming back. Yep, we are bringing it back.

You've made me so happy I'm going to cry! I've said it before & I'll say it again: best piece of interactive art out there in years!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby gaminwench » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:21 pm

YAY! The pier, part deux...
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Tin Halo » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:22 pm

fbcota wrote:Ok, so The Pier is coming back. Yep, we are bringing it back. And well, since I have made some statements about not really liking seeing art come back we are making some changes. Those changes will be,.... destructive. Maybe a destructive ode to that fabled ship the La Contessa. Yep, I said it. Big shoes to fill yea? We think so.

Stay tuned, I will give some more details as we decide to leak them out. But, let me say this. The Pier is going to be the same awesome place to be, it will just have a bit more of a story to tell :).

Hopefully, I will be there next year.
I really want to apologize for dropping off the radar, but default-world stupidity abruptly overruled my plans for '11, and at some point I just simply lost the energy to visit and think about that which I was not going to be able to contribute to. I had every plan on being out there to help from the beginning, but got royally fucked by shit going on up here in the thin air.
Tin Halo

Postby Savannah » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:24 pm

Eric wrote:
fbcota wrote:Ok, so The Pier is coming back. Yep, we are bringing it back.

You've made me so happy I'm going to cry! I've said it before & I'll say it again: best piece of interactive art out there in years!

It really brought people together in a very sweet way, and was . . . I don't know, witty besides.
Savannah

Postby moonrise » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:59 am

Okay, back in action for 2012!

I have 1 or 2 anchors and some more nauitical rope to chip in :) Perhaps you can let us know what sort of Obtanium you'll be needing for the 'destructive version'.

Please do tell fbcota (Captain Janky!) did the team burn the stacked up pier sections after dismantling the Pier? I didn't stick around long enough to see the final phase....whadya do, change your minds and pull it out half burned? Hence, La Contessa or what not... :?: :wink:
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Stop Burning! Save the Earth!

Postby lemur » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:37 am

Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby shroom » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:27 am

I didn't attend this year, but saw the pier in many videos. It looks great and I'm glad to hear that it will be back.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire." Fred Shero
shroom

Burning Since: 2010

Postby trilobyte » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:44 am

Hooray for the Return Of The Pier! And even bigger bonus that it'll get changed up. Hopefully nothing too destructive, it might be fun to see how many ways it can mutate over the course of a few years (like Jaws sequels).
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby ibdave » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:51 am

have a Fonzi "jump the shark" day... or save it for when I get back in 2013... :shock: 8)
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:00 am

gaminwench wrote:YAY! The pier, part deux...

And what's wrong with "zweite mal"?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby moonrise » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:37 am

I heard the Shark MV will be there again next year!! All Lifeguards; be ready to warn..."shark get outta the water, get outta the water!!! (sceams unsue and the Pier becomes mobbed with hapless swimmers, oh my!)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby fbcota » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:34 am

The Pier is in storage right now. Those stacks were our, "holy shit, people wan't it back how do we do this" stacks.

Ok, I'm going to let the cat out of the bag. We are going to crash a 60+ft spanish galleon into the middle of the pier, destroying the middle 100ft. The spanish galleon will be like a dive-able ship wreck that people can climb around and explore with 9+ rooms, a creepy brig, fully decorated and really strange. The beginning and the end of the pier will be in tact, and fully accesible. I think Pappy died in the ship wreck, but his son Pappy has built a new walkway to connect each broken section of the Pier together. So, 1 way to get to the end will be a sketchy rope bridge or walkway. The other will be to climb around the ship and the rubble (we will set up one pier of rubble to be kinda stair like), and then a third will maybe be a rope ladder or maybe some more clear climbable spots toward the end.

The galleon is going to be a serious endevour, detailed down to the cups in the captains room. A huge undertaking, we are finding reference ships right now and laying out a floor plan that includes multiple stories and exploration points. The ship will have its own soundtrack, water hitting the sides, creeking wood, creepy old ship noises, etc,...

Ohh, and we are burning The Pier,....

I want to take a second to thank eplaya. You guys took what was originally just a basic idea and made it grow into what it became. Without all the stunning ideas that you all offered the art project would have just been a shell of its final self. Thank you, from the bottom of my heart for helping with my little dream :)

I will have some sketches for the ship and the damage in a week or 2. I would love to do what we did with The Pier and use eplaya as a place to throw around ideas and see what sticks. Also, we need a whole lot of help, from communities around the world to make this happen.

Tin-Halo: I understand. The real world can be a real kick in the pants sometimes.
Eric: You brought the biggest smile to my face. One of our key builders said nothing but great things when they met you.
fbcota

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:37 am

Oo, I was hoping for a shipwreck!

*clutches paws to chest*
Savannah

Postby graidawg » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:46 am

*sigh* the pier was just perfect i will have to find a beau to play with for next year on the pier.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:02 pm

fbcota wrote:Eric: You brought the biggest smile to my face. One of our key builders said nothing but great things when they met you.

Nothing like the smile your team brought to a lot of us. Hell, you had the jaded old-timers at Fandango putting on "swimwear" and sitting in the dinghies drinking away the afternoon. More than once.

I spent a nice chunk of time talking with your sound engineer towards the end of the week- he did a simply brilliant job with the sound, and at the perfect "background" volume.

Honestly I can't think of a piece of art that I've had this much fun on & with since I started attending in '03. I am incredibly excited about next year!
Survival Guide * First Timers Guide * Ticket Info

Regarding Ticket Scalpers and Scammers

It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
BRC Weekly
Eric

Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Foxfur » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:09 pm

I was so blown away with the concept when you posted it many months ago. I loved racking my brain and watching others do likewise when you solicited advice on weathering the wooden planks (which came out fantastic!). When I set foot on The Pier for the first time, I could feel the excitement surrounding it and that was two days before gate opened!
I saw The Pier from so many viewpoints: On foot, by bicycle, on The Pier, under The Pier, from mutant vehicles, from the crow's nest of the Gypsy Queen, from atop the man...
Each was a completely different experience.
I heard a couple mention it to a friend in a coffee shop. I went over and sat right down :D
Thanks for 2011.
I eagerly anticipate 2012.
Please keep us updated with questions and problems and technical issues. We as Eplayans would love to contribute once again!
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby misfit » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:50 pm

the little girl running the master-bait shop was hilarious,,, "we've got bait for hippies, sparkle ponies, DPW,,,".......
Last edited by misfit on Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Be happy while you're living, For you're a long time dead.
misfit

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: wish you were here

Postby snake » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:56 pm

my my fbcota...when you start dreaming...you start dreaming BIG!!! let me know how i can help.
snake

Postby theCryptofishist » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:17 pm

fbcota wrote:So, 1 way to get to the end will be a sketchy rope bridge or walkway. The other will be to climb around the ship and the rubble (we will set up one pier of rubble to be kinda stair like), and then a third will maybe be a rope ladder or maybe some more clear climbable spots toward the end.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby moonrise » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:15 pm

Outstanding!

We'll need a LOT of everything...and there's only 50 weeks to go! :P
moonrise

Postby oscillator » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:38 pm

We are going to need more mermaids.

And Cephalopods. Especially Argonauts and Cuttlefish.

BTW, ever notice the similarities???

Argonaut

FSM
oscillator

Postby Snow » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:30 pm

YAY stoked to hear its coming back. The pier was awesome!!!!! Hopefully I can actually show up to help this time. hehehe

And for special fishy's there will be four tan and oiled cabana boys to carry you on a gilded palanquin to the other side of the pier.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby ehcsztein » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:35 am

fbcota wrote:The ship will have its own soundtrack, water hitting the sides, creeking wood, creepy old ship noises, etc,...

I may or may not have already started some audio sketch work for The Pier II (Pappy's Return of a New Begining Revenge!) :lol:

Eric wrote:I spent a nice chunk of time talking with your sound engineer towards the end of the week- he did a simply brilliant job with the sound, and at the perfect "background" volume.

It was a hoot talking with you Eric! Your enthusiasm towards and appreciation of the installation was inspiring for future projects.

oscillator wrote:And Cephalopods.

The night before I left for NV I had an EL failure on the Octopus I sculpted for this year so it just lived in camp... but I have plenty of time to troubleshoot for 2012 if everything goes right.

In case anybody wants a little snapshot of a different sort here is one of the shorter clips from the audio...
http://snd.sc/rgDdMG
I have certainly sat around with a luke warm beer listening to this over the past week or so... helps to keep me anchored (pun intended.)

Cheers!
Kevan
ehcsztein

Postby HandJamMasterC » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:09 am

I too loved the Pier - and I'm glad you are bringing it back !! Woo Hoo !
CAMP D.O.A.

Fun As A Scorched Earth Policy...........

https://sites.google.com/site/campdoa/
HandJamMasterC

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Camp D.O.A.

Postby lucky420 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:42 am

loved The Pier, wish i would've spent more time there. I brought my "Shot in the Dark" wagon by but got intimidated by the crowd. Next year I will come by with the wagon again, crowds be damned! :shock:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Art & Performance