The great DJ drought

The great DJ drought

Postby Corvus » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:40 pm

After all the caterwauling about big dance camps' not getting their DJs' tickets in time, I'm wondering how it all came out. Not being that part of BRC, it all sounded the same to me. So how did it all work, finally. Did the big dance camps suck it up and get their DJs tickets through the black market. Did they spin with lesser DJs that managed to show up. Did they simply have an iPod with a big playlist on it? How was the burning (ha!) issue of no DJs handled by those who need them?
Corvus

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Re: The great DJ drought

Postby ygmir » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:20 pm

a great DJ drought, may equate to a passenger pigeon drought.

just sayin'........
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:21 pm

Corvus wrote:Did they simply have an iPod with a big playlist on it?

Seriously.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby H.G.Crosby » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:28 pm

Once I noticed I was on fire, I decided to relax and enjoy the fall™
H.G.Crosby

Postby Bitterman » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:34 pm

the .01% of laptop-equipped djs that actually use creative programs.......creatively! have my bitter respect. the rest that hype invisible crowd adulations while trying to tweet,text or get a signal in brc while self-imagining that they somehow look "hot", can fuck right off and push the no-talent playlist button repeatedly.

i feel that is a fine example of a hater typing some fine hatering.
Bah! Psshhh!
Bitterman

Postby Ugly Dougly » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:18 pm

You hate real good, baby.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Postby RedHeaven » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:14 pm

Back in the day though, a good ole DJ was someone who just spun a record, nothing more nothing less....It was the combo of songs he played that made him "good"

But then again, they werent all ego'd out either. It was just a dude up in a glass room dorkin' out. ;)
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby Theres Always One » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:26 pm

I thought it went over pretty well. Especially at Nexus on Friday night/Saturday morning. That was the best 6 hours of music I've heard in recent memory.
For those of you who don't know, it went down like this: MANDY > Magda > Jamie Jones > Seth Troxler > Damian Lazarus.

MANDY played a lot of techno and tech house and it was okay. Their usual stuff. Then Magda came on and her set was filled with this funky mix of disco, house, and techno that all blended together seamlessy into a groovy masterpiece. Then Jamie Jones came on and his set was a bit deeper, more soulful deep house/tech house mix that really was one of the best sets I've heard all year from any dj (and I've seen a lot). After that, was Seth Troxler and his set was more deep tech house but it had darker overtones to his set and it was actually really great to here someone play a darker more sinister sound at burning man. Damian Lazarus was great too but I've really exhausted my pitiful vocabulary trying to express the awesomeness of this.

It was something that I was really looking forward. When I saw this lineup in the Rockstar Librarian Guide, I nearly fell to the floor. To have all those highly sought after DJs on one stage playing the best venue on the planet was insanely awesome. Its not really something that happens anywhere in the world. And if it did, it would NOT be in America. It would be in some club in Berlin or London and it would be filled with people who see these guys play on a regular basis. But for us, in America, it was a real treat and something special that I doubt could ever be recreated. And all these djs are genuine awesome people and they do not have any egos so it was great to see them having just as good of a time as I was.
Theres Always One

Postby cpart » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:45 pm

Beats Antique was awesome on Saturday night. Mimosa was really good at Fractalnation. I didn't stay out at the raves very much at all.... they were... too.... "ravey"
cpart

Burning Since: 2010

Postby uncle sticky » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:27 pm

Must have, since there only seemed to be a handful of DJ's playing super crappy dubstep and glitchstep. I "heard" that Opulent "fired" several DJ's for playing dubstep, when they were booked to play house or electro house sets.
The handbasket to hell is leaving. Hop in world!
uncle sticky

Postby trilobyte » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:56 am

DJ's are just like everybody else. And like everybody else, most of those who wanted to go had or got tickets to the event, while some... didn't.

There was no shortage of DJ's on the playa. Depending on your tastes, some were amazing, some were awful, and quite a few were pretty damned good. Just like it is every year.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:59 am

breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins