One thing you learned on playa this year

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: One thing you learned on playa this year

Postby illy dilly » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:04 pm

Drawingablank wrote:On Saturday we witnessed 2 very petite women struggling to haul a 5 gallon USG pee bucket to the jots. I suppose it never occurred to them to dump it daily. Or that the task would have been a lot less disgusting if they had put the lid on the bucket or not filled it nearly to overflowing.

LOL,
Rookies!!!!
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby illy dilly » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:07 pm

junglesmacks wrote:The porta potty banks on the open playa NEED TO BE LIT UP BADLY!! I looked for them had people asking me in the dark where they were, etc etc etc. We need lights or beacons of some kind on those suckers..

They almost always have a blue light about 20-25' in the at each end of the porta potties.
(read my intro post?)

The way we differentiate them form other lights, is that they don't move. Almost everything that tall out in open playa is an art car, well art cars move. Even when parked art cars tend to sway as peopel get on and off.
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Postby Drawingablank » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:13 pm

Another thing learned is that glow in the dark paint and powder is completely useless on the playa.

After spending so much time, effort, and money making glow in the dark tees, bandannas, flag, and pants - none of it worked there. I suspect it was the dust coating everything, because it glows fine back in defaultia.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Random23 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:38 pm

When going to BM for the first time alone make yourself a bike that carries 2 side by side. You won't regret it.

Random23

Postby Savannah » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:40 pm

Great pic! :D Is that you on the right? . . . the young lady on the left being a new acquaintance?
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Random23 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:45 pm

Yes, me on right. She was my copilot on Sunday morning for our epic run over the RAMP OF DEATH!
Random23

Postby Savannah » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:52 pm

What a perfect way to make friends! :lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby jella » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:57 pm

illy dilly wrote:
Drawingablank wrote:On Saturday we witnessed 2 very petite women struggling to haul a 5 gallon USG pee bucket to the jots. I suppose it never occurred to them to dump it daily. Or that the task would have been a lot less disgusting if they had put the lid on the bucket or not filled it nearly to overflowing.

LOL,
Rookies!!!!

Ummm Ewwwww ~ Insert holding nose smiley~
Burning Man isn't about the stuff you see when you get there ....it's about the people that brought that stuff there
jella

Camp Name: ASSORTED :)

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:09 pm

Mojojita wrote:
junglesmacks wrote:
Mojojita wrote:I learned that the medical care on the playa is top notch, and a grand example of what medical care should be in our country.

Did you get casted up right there on the playa??

Absolutely. Ambulance from camp to med tent, x-rays, x-rays sent to Reno and read by Radiologists, results transmitted back to med, casted me, sent me on my way at no cost. Within 45 minutes!!!!! Would not have even been seen in 45 minutes in a default ER.

Turnip wrote:Wow, makes me wish I would have went to the Medicamp when my UTI/Kidney infection came back in full force. But I was embarrassed and thought I'd get the "Sorry, nothing we can do for you here."

Made going to the bathroom an even more unenjoyable experience.
A few times I almost didn't make it to the potties in time, and always scared to go out of view of the potties.

Back in the day (when I was working ESD and REMSA had the contract) you couldn't get prescriptions filled. Now apparently you can. Of course with the UTIs you can always drink cranberry (vodka/cran or Cape Codder--same thing really) to raise the acidity. I dunno if it actually helps, but as my doctor reminded me a few years ago, women got over UTIs before antibiotics.
Was that rambling and disjointed enough?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jkisha » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:18 pm

From what I read in an earlier post on this (one of FoxFur's posts I think), you still can't. They can write the prescription for you, but you'd need to take a trip into town to have it filled.
theCryptofishist wrote:Back in the day (when I was working ESD and REMSA had the contract) you couldn't get prescriptions filled. Now apparently you can. Of course with the UTIs you can always drink cranberry (vodka/cran or Cape Codder--same thing really) to raise the acidity. I dunno if it actually helps, but as my doctor reminded me a few years ago, women got over UTIs before antibiotics.
Was that rambling and disjointed enough?
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby theCryptofishist » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:24 pm

Maybe. I think it was possible in later years with REMSA, but that was a while ago, and when I no longer interfaced (lovely word) with ESD. So, the services shift and not always in ways that I find predictable.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby Turnip » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:11 pm

I had a neighbor that had a script of Vicoden that was ready to be filled while on playa, and apparently Med told him if he would have came earlier in the week, they could have filled it for him.

Whether or not you'd believe that story is up to you. I'm don't think I do. He was a nice guy, but seemed a little, ehmmm, preoccupied with his "pain management."
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby Milayna » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:12 pm

I feel for you Turnip. I need to make sure I pack my cranberry pills next year. I also have a tendency towards UTI/kidney infections, and I can't even imagine the misery of that on the playa. :cry:
Milayna

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:47 pm

I make it a point to have a "sprain back" before I go on a long trip. Today I spent time at the local dollar tree and built my Medical bag. Still a few things needed, but it is a standard military map case stuffed with everything from ointment, bandaids, eye drops, anti-imflammatories, etc.. I am not a medic, but if there is one near by, I will probably have everything they need.

It is fucking 2:47am... why the hell am I still up?
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:42 am

Bad gas from those dollar store cookies you live off of, is what I heard.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby MOOP_Nazi » Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:45 am

As frightening as it may sound, I'd kill for a dollar store cookie right now.. Been on a very restricted diet for health issues. Ginger snaps... yumm...
"Lemonade is a lie!"
Lederhosen Macht Frei! (Lederhosen Liberates!)
Ich Bin Über Alles, und du bist der scheiße!!!
MOOP_Nazi

Postby Minxy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:16 am

Oh, ha, I learned something! :P :P :P

Do NOT fall asleep wearing all your pretty baubles and schwag necklaces. I did this and woke up with a ring around my neck...hilarious rope burn type mark all around my neck from the necklaces rubbing against the playa dust as I moved around in my sleep. It was funny but painful for a few days. :P It sorta looked like someone took a red Sharpie and drew a circle around my neck. :D Cracked me up.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby BBadger » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:20 pm

Another "one thing" I must share that helped me out a lot that my friend helped me with:

The bandanna you wear as a dust mask can help keep you warm at night by flipping it around and covering the back of your neck, which loses a lot of your body heat when exposed. I was very surprised by just how much warmer I felt doing that even with some thing piece of cloth the bandanna is. Works well to cool your body too if you dip it in water.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Lowz » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:44 pm

I'm done with chasing unicorns
John Clod
For the People
Suarez principle #23 " The Whims of The President and Chairman are final."
I feel every year fantastic, shitty and great days all.
Lowz

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Club Neu Verboten

Postby tattoogoddess » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:43 pm

Blue portas with a light on top of them?

When did the TARDIS get there! Was it bigger inside then it looked from the outside? ;)
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus
http://burnon.wix.com/bloodbathandbeyond
tattoogoddess

Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: bloodbath and beyond

Postby Snow » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:27 pm

I learned that it is a lot easier to get hundreds of burners to tow a giant trojan horse than I ever imagined.

graidawg wrote:is there some kind of secret about ice cream on the playa. It seems everybody else had some! right next years theme is bring ice cream for English people in top hats!
Yes, come to my camp! I built a bike that churns fresh ice cream as you ride around the playa. Love to hand it out on the playa its always a HUGE hit. We ALWAYS make a stop at boobie bar. People always ask me why a HUGE bag of salt is always on my packing list. A ice cream corporation has asked me to demonstrate it for them now, that's kinda funny to me.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby Snow » Fri Sep 16, 2011 8:39 pm

Dustdevil wrote:I learn lots of thing every year, but one item really stood out this year. I learned that ExpressoDude is one hard working, never say quit, don't stop until the job is done type of a guy. He worked with the Black Rock FX team on the Trojan Horse. He brought his SO and the two of them contributed a great deal to that project. We were faced with several adversities and the team managed to work through them all. He never once complained or slowed down. OK, maybe around dinner time he slowed down a little, we all did. We had a small team as most of the BRFX crew were at the Flaming Lotus Girls show. He worked well with the pyro team as well as the demolition/burn team. His ideas and creativity helped make the burn what it was. Black Rock FX would welcome ExpressoDude back on any show we produce.

Jack
Same goes for Jack and the rest of the Black Rock FX team. You made our horse burn better than we ever imagined!!!!! It was great to work with you again and look forward to the next time, whatever that may be mwahahaha :twisted:
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby graidawg » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:30 am

I think i have gone way over one thing learned one the playa this year. so?
Another thing I learned on the playa this year. MyDearFriend is the finest of people, she made it possible for me to totally relax at any given moment. Provided everything. I was worried before i went about what i had forgetten. thanks to MDF i could have turned up with the t shirt and coat she mailed to me and the boots i wore all week. I wouldn't have got burnt, hungry, dusty (spray bottle showers are the best!) or thirsty. She even bought me a cup from the dusty swan (which was handy because i did actually forget mine).
Doc pyro provided the perfect camp for excitable virgins - a nice public space for adventure when you are too tired to go exporing, camp mates who are welcoming friendly and cool.
Moonrise for putting me in barbie death camp in the first place and being the best date you ask for, random and exciting adventures in parts of BRC i would never have found.
Mr potatomoto (or however its spelled for coming and hanging out in the morning i liked that - also for taking my stuff back after my misundersatnding woth the parafin (breath out NOT in)
Mel, for being mel (and other things)
I could keep this going for ever, every person I met added to my experience at BM Random for being called random, my friend back here wil laugh his ass off when i tell him i met a random guy called random.
Thank you all
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby MyDearFriend » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:00 am

(((Graidawg))) *smooch*

I learned:

--not to sweat about little stuff I didn't remember, because someone close by will have whatever it is

--not to rely on someone else to bring something I really need, because, it utterly sucks when that doesn't work out

--it really is all about the people, but, there is no sense trying to chase anybody down, no matter what (see above)

And:

--GET SOME SLEEP EVERY DAY :lol: :lol: :lol:

sorry that's four things but, Grai tells me I have OCD :oops:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby jcliff » Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:04 am

J.R. Watkins Natural Apothecary Hand & Body Lotion Lemon Cream.....this stuff is amazing! The lemon in the lotion neutralizes playa alkaline. I put it on my feet in the moring and then a liberal dose at night with a pair of clean socks when I went to sleep. I've had issues with my feet in the past but this year they were awesome! They sell it at Walgreens for $9.00. I'm going to go buy a couple of bottles now in case they go out of business before the next Burn!
jcliff

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Postby Mr.Coffee » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:38 am

The most apparent thing I learned this year (aka my royal virgin facepalm moment):

Bring a cup with you, WHEREVER YOU GO!

For some reason, this tidbit wasn't screamingly apparent to me until I went adventuring monday evening. Then it very much was. Fortunately, I'm decent with backrubs and was able to barter for some solo cups.

Next year? Something with a clip on it. Anybody know how well those pewter steins hold up? I'd hate to MOOP one of those because the handle wasn't strong enough to stay clipped to my backpack.
"TO DO IS TO BE" - Nietzsche
"TO BE IS TO DO" - Kant
"DO BE DO BE DO" - Sinatra
Mr.Coffee

Postby ibdave » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:30 am

Well, I learned On Eplaya Today: Not to camp with bunny-boiler.... :shock: :roll: :roll:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby illy dilly » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:53 pm

ibdave wrote:Well, I learned On Eplaya Today: Not to camp with bunny-boiler.... :shock: :roll: :roll:

That is something we both learned. I also learned, maybe its not a great idea to tell everyone in the world where you camp is.
illy dilly

Postby junglesmacks » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:41 pm

Boxes of whippets should be a requirement like gallons of water. 2 per person, per day.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Sail Man » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:21 pm

junglesmacks wrote:Take LESS drugs

No, seriously. It's a new found high in and of itself.

Don't take drugs Junglesmacks gives you because he wants to try it sober this year!!

Fuck! I'm still eating twinkies!
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks