Cleaning Tips?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike

Re: Cleaning Tips?

Postby illy dilly » Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:50 pm

WOW, I feel really lazy now!
I come home... and throw that shit in the washing machine!
Comes out clean enough for me. Especially since half of it goes back into a bin, until next burn.

As for my 'rough' leather boots (probably fake leather), knock on the ground out side a couple times, maybe wipe them down with a wet rag, and put'em on a shelf tell next year!

All this vinegar in the wash, soaking, pre-scrubbing, and hand washing has me feeling like a slouch.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby Lassen Forge » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:40 pm

Just a silly aside - FWIW I ended up using cider (not white) vinegar this year (got the wrong bottle - oops!!) - it seems to be working better. Just my observation, YMMV and stuff.
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby alexamonkey » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:44 am

Cleaning Stuff:

Simple:

Oxyclean (in the washing machine, for example. Better than Vinegar! (but you can use vinegar also!!)

Everything else, PLEDGE! PLEDGE! PLEDGE! Truck cabs, coolers, tables, electronics, etc. I’ve tried it all over my 16 years on the playa, & I’m telling you, PLEDGE is the ONLY way to go. One swipe over a truck dash & it’s clean. One wipedown of electronics and it’s clean. For coolers, tables, etc. that haven’t been cleaned in years, it MIGHT take 2 swipes.

PLEDGE.

I PLEDGE allegiance to the PLEDGE

Seriously, PLEDGE

(of course, you can use a cheaper version- pledge is kind of pricey)

I DO NOT WORK FOR PLEDGE, FYI
alexamonkey

Postby The CO » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:42 pm

Diluted vinegar spray & Awesome brand cleaner do wonders to remove playa from all sorts of stuff.

An important note: If you clean off your bike chain, lube it ASAP. I prefer Pedros Ice Wax, but at least 3-in-1 oil if nothing else. The minute you clean your chain it will begin to rust, so get it greased!
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby AntiM » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:13 pm

I just discovered that hard surfaces clean like a charm with a Magic Eraser sponge. You an buy the knock off version inexpensively, and it has done an impressive job on our camp stove. I use them at home in the kitchen all the time on the fridge handles which never seem to quite come clean any other way.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby bubbavic » Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:56 pm

What do you guys do to clean your fun fur? I have a couple of coats that are pretty dusty. I also have a bike that I furred. Not sure how to clean those besides chucking them into the wash (for the coats) and hosing down the bike. Maybe dry clean??
aka FlyingSquirrel =)
bubbavic

Postby Trishntek » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:34 pm

All my dungeon leathers get a good cleaning with vinegar water. The "pony" which is an oil-tanned upholstered spanking bench gets cleaned with bleach water before and after every use. Once home, after a good spraying down with vinegar water and hosed off, I use Neet's Foot Oil generously. That makes it semi-impervious to a variety of "fluids".

My finer leathers of everything from cow hide, to pig skin, deer, elk and kangaroo are wiped with 10% bleach water. All of them get a quick wipe with saddle soap-moistened rag which simply provides a surface treatment to keep them supple. The heavier, oil-tanned leathers get a good rubbing with Neet's foot oil. The finer, more supple leathers get a final wipe with furniture polish i.e. Pledge.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby phil » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:36 pm

> I have removed some very old water rings from old dolls cloths.

If there's anyone who knows about old dolls, it's unjon.
phil

Postby Sail Man » Sun Sep 18, 2011 3:49 pm

phil wrote:> I have removed some very old water rings from old dolls cloths.

If there's anyone who knows about old dolls, it's unjon.

Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:16 pm

bubbavic wrote:What do you guys do to clean your fun fur? I have a couple of coats that are pretty dusty. I also have a bike that I furred. Not sure how to clean those besides chucking them into the wash (for the coats) and hosing down the bike. Maybe dry clean??

YOu can toss your coats in the dryer and just run air without heat. Don't wash first. This will not work on bikes.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:48 pm

That's what we do. Though we take them to the big dryers at the Laundromat and we put in several of those softener sheets. We also pack cleaned clothes away for next year and include a dryer sheet or two with them.
theCryptofishist wrote:
bubbavic wrote:What do you guys do to clean your fun fur? I have a couple of coats that are pretty dusty. I also have a bike that I furred. Not sure how to clean those besides chucking them into the wash (for the coats) and hosing down the bike. Maybe dry clean??

YOu can toss your coats in the dryer and just run air without heat. Don't wash first. This will not work on bikes.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby bubbavic » Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:50 pm

jkisha wrote:That's what we do. Though we take them to the big dryers at the Laundromat and we put in several of those softener sheets. We also pack cleaned clothes away for next year and include a dryer sheet or two with them.
theCryptofishist wrote:

Great advice! There's a coin op laundromat not far from my house. I'll head there tomorrow. You're right, I don't think they have a dryer big enough for me bike. =)
(I guess I should just de-fur and redo it for next year.)
aka FlyingSquirrel =)
bubbavic

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:01 pm

I'm wondering if something like canned air would do it. Or a fan set on high...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:05 pm

No, not really. I'm about to go out and buy a compressor. The canned air doesn't blow hard or long enough to be effective--for the things I'm trying to get the dust out of anyway.
I have resisted buying a compressor because somewhere I read that you can actually cause damage to certain things by using to strong a blast of air. So I'm hoping I can find one that has some sort of regulator to adjust pressure.
theCryptofishist wrote:I'm wondering if something like canned air would do it. Or a fan set on high...
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:08 pm

I'm wondering about a compressor to plug into my lighter and then using it to pump up my suspension. I actually did that today, and it was easy. But finding a gas station with working air and accessible might become a pain...
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:16 pm

Quick Google search found this: http://www.amazon.com/Slime-COMP01-12-Volt-Plug-Inflator/dp/B000ENQRF0 and many more, but I'm certainly no authority on these kind of things.
theCryptofishist wrote:I'm wondering about a compressor to plug into my lighter and then using it to pump up my suspension. I actually did that today, and it was easy. But finding a gas station with working air and accessible might become a pain...
JK
jkisha

Postby Snow » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:33 pm

nearly any air compressor has a regulator. well not some of the 12v ones for filling up tires, but any real compressor should come with a regulator.

I use an air compressor to clean most of my large stuff, including fur coats. It gets most of the loose dust out, but still leaves a gray hue. I don't mind that as anything I bring to the burn is only for BM or burner events so a bit of gray don't bother me one bit.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby The CO » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:13 am

bubbavic wrote:What do you guys do to clean your fun fur?

I cannot help answer this question as I am not nor have I ever been a Sparklepony.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
The CO

Postby bubbavic » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:23 am

The CO wrote:

I cannot help answer this question as I am not nor have I ever been a Sparklepony.

My suspicion is that you are in fact a closet Sparklepony. As a matter of fact, I betcha yer wearing furry leggings right now thinking we can't see you! Really, there's no need to be shy. =)
aka FlyingSquirrel =)
bubbavic

Postby Raymaker » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:18 am

don't wear your favourite white t-shirts is one answer, I washed mine 3 times and the ends of the sleeves are still pinkish. they're my playa t-shirts now.
Raymaker

Postby FIGJAM » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:52 am

jkisha wrote:Quick Google search found this: http://www.amazon.com/Slime-COMP01-12-Volt-Plug-Inflator/dp/B000ENQRF0 and many more, but I'm certainly no authority on these kind of things.
theCryptofishist wrote:I'm wondering about a compressor to plug into my lighter and then using it to pump up my suspension. I actually did that today, and it was easy. But finding a gas station with working air and accessible might become a pain...

You can find those 12 volt compressors at Harbor freight and they are handy, but won't have the omf for cleaning.

I like my leaf blower for major dusting and last year found out that the intake was on the flat bottom of the blower.

Running that flat bottom over the truck seats worked better than any vacume cleaner! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby moonrise » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:05 am

bubbavic wrote:
The CO wrote:

My suspicion is that you are in fact a closet Sparklepony. As a matter of fact, I betcha yer wearing furry leggings right now thinking we can't see you! Really, there's no need to be shy. =)

yes, NO, bubbavic, CO is def not a pony type, lmao...
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby alexamonkey » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:03 pm

Stormy wrote:So what are your great clothes cleaning tips, especially for items that can't be tossed in a washing machine? Thanks.

OK- I've been bringing the same black furry jacket for over a dozen years- and have never washed it-
I have never been crazy enough to bring suede, but both this year and last year 2 suede hats and a suede jacket have been left at my camp- so I did some experimenting with my miracle playa-away ingredient: pledge. I have discovered that pledge is working brilliantly on the suede AND the fur! Both look restored, the fur has regained a little suppleness (and looks like the original fur, not rat tails!) and looks black again! Seriously, that stuff works on just about everything!

I also have a vinyl outfit and a pvc outfit: pledge (for vinyl, sometimes you have to let it sit or grind it in with a towel to get it into the fiber canals)

Any fabric that you can get wet, however, I would hand wash with Oxyclean- another product that should pay me to promote them- if you haven't tried it, it works just like a super-strong bleach, but completely color safe. (only thing that will get up the dinge from my rug)

Velvet or silk? Never tried, but I'm betting pledge works for Velvet, also.

Any other hard to clean items? If I don't know, I'll experiment and try to find the answer!!
alexamonkey

Postby alexamonkey » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:13 pm

bubbavic wrote:
The CO wrote:

FUN FUR:

I just posted about this: pledge! brush first (I used a fingernail brush, but a bristly hairbrush should work fine)- if you need to, bang extra dirt out or use air (I just give a light dusting with a good air mattress pump)- spray on Pledge, brush through immediately, & watch the magic! (I just did this on a black jacket- going to try a white one I have, & will report my findings)
alexamonkey

Postby creativecstasy » Tue Sep 20, 2011 3:02 am

The CO wrote:Diluted vinegar spray & Awesome brand cleaner do wonders to remove playa from all sorts of stuff.

An important note: If you clean off your bike chain, lube it ASAP. I prefer Pedros Ice Wax, but at least 3-in-1 oil if nothing else. The minute you clean your chain it will begin to rust, so get it greased!

I read this about a week too late. My chain and gears are rust colored right now. Is it something I can fix, or do I have to junk the bike, or....?

:( The rest of the bike is basically pristine.
creativecstasy

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:55 am

Wipe off all the dust and take it to the bike shop for a tune-up. Do not mention Burning Man, they will laugh at you.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby The CO » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:29 am

creativecstasy wrote:
The CO wrote:The minute you clean your chain it will begin to rust, so get it greased!

I read this about a week too late. My chain and gears are rust colored right now. Is it something I can fix, or do I have to junk the bike, or....?

Clean Streak White Lightning chain cleaner is pretty awesome. Used in conjunction with the mechanical cleaner they make, it will do wonders.

You could remove your chain & soak in 3-1 oil for a day. However, a new chain is pretty cheap. If you can't salvage the old one, pony up for a new one.

Pedros Ice wax is very effective at keeping your chain clean if you apply it BEFORE you go the burn.
The CO

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:23 am

JK
jkisha

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:24 am

Coke (the soda) removes rust.
creativecstasy wrote:
The CO wrote:Diluted vinegar spray & Awesome brand cleaner do wonders to remove playa from all sorts of stuff.

JK
jkisha

Postby skibear » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:22 pm

Sat the bike next to the car in the DIY car wash. Sprayed everything.

Oiled the chain & some other parts - looks like new!
Then donated it to the Reno Bike Project since It wouldn't fit in my suitcase for
the plane ride east!
:shock:
crash & burn ski lessons given
skibear

PreviousNext

Return to Q & A Tips and Tricks