Mutant Motorized Tricycles

Bikes, trikes, personal mobility and mutant vehicles - this is the place to discuss general transportation issues. For ride and RV shares, please go to Share Resources.

Mutant Motorized Tricycles

Postby misstexas » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:23 am

Hey all,

I'm returning to burning man next year, 2012 and already planning for it. Ya, I'm a planner. Anyway I'm making a motorized tricycle (like the radio flyer kids kind) and wondering if it's something people might frown on. I suppose since it has a seat and a pocket bike engine I'll have to go through the DMV to get it approved but it missed one item (giving rides to people) so unless I hook up a trailer and kill my engine pulling people, I wonder if I'd spend a whole year welding and then get denied.

I've already done this once for the annual Seattle Trike Race (trikeforbeers.com) and my trike was awesomely tricked out with no motor. This year I want to add a motor.

Eventually I'd like to make an (approved by BM) track for mototrike racing on the deep playa - so that playa wanderings can enjoy the thrill of riding a tricycle again. Think "revenge of the nerds with motors".

Anyone think this is not ok for the playa or advice? Thanks!
misstexas

Re: Mutant Motorized Tricycles

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:48 am

If you go electric you don't have to go through dmv.

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby misstexas » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:45 pm

Interesting, I never knew that electric was all clear. Huh. Would seem hard to charge them up out there.
misstexas

Postby bubbavic » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:58 pm

Charging depends on the size of your battery. Smaller battery you could conceivably charge via solar (larger solar cell or solar battery). Or you go with a small generator. Or back up with car battery.

I'm considering adding a electric motor to my bike this year just to give a bit of assist in those...well ya know... those times.
aka FlyingSquirrel =)
bubbavic

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:37 pm

I used a 12 volt 105ah deep cycle battery.

When I needed to recharge, I hooked jumper cables to my truck and let it idle for an hour.

Did that 3 times this burn and rode about 60 miles! 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby EspressoDude » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:45 pm

bubbavic wrote:Charging depends on the size of your battery. Smaller battery you could conceivably charge via solar (larger solar cell or solar battery).

and the smaller battery goes dead sooner...
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up
EspressoDude

Postby The CO » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:08 pm

Electric assist bikes were non-dmv this year. Could change in future. All electric rigs are under the perveiw of DMV.
M*A*S*H 4207th: An army of fun.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
Yes, I am the arbiter of doing it right or wrong. Guess which one you are!
The CO

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: M*A*S*H 4207th/404: Error

Postby FIGJAM » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:38 pm

Just prior to the 2010 burn they went with NV. state law concerning electric assist 2 and 3 wheelers.

Motors under 750 watts on 2 and 3 wheelers are OK. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me
FIGJAM

Postby The CO » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:55 pm

I was less than clear- I meant vehicles that are entirely electric powered, not anything w/electricity.

The NV law is similar to OR, but the key lies in fully operational pedals. no pedals, its not a cycle.

I just recently started driving an electric assist pedicab, and have become quite familiar with the subject.
I don't care what the borg says: feather-wearers will NOT be served in Rosie's Bar.
The CO

Postby The CO » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:53 am

Stock version of the trike I'm working on:

Our version, with 45w solar canopy, USB charging, additional battery, added (& more efficient) lighting.

The drive hub is being cranky. Anyone got knowledge on a SBY Servo 100 Brake?
The CO

Postby misstexas » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:23 am

Ha that's cute. I can't believe that if it's electric they kinda look the other way, I mean that's cool because it uses better technology but it's still a motor ;-)

Unfortunately I already have the 55cc engine I'm using for the tricycle on order, but I did think of a way to give people rides with a custom trailer. Who knows, its a fun project either way.
misstexas

Postby gyre » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:36 pm

misstexas wrote:Ha that's cute. I can't believe that if it's electric they kinda look the other way, I mean that's cool because it uses better technology but it's still a motor ;-)

Unfortunately I already have the 55cc engine I'm using for the tricycle on order, but I did think of a way to give people rides with a custom trailer. Who knows, its a fun project either way.

Small vehicles can pass as mvs, but it's a high bar.

Don't forget the loss of power with altitude, and you'll need a good air filter.
A larger engine is really called for with gas.
I think 80cc is standard overseas.

Do you have a service manual?
They seem to be unobtainable for small asian engines.
gyre

Postby Elorrum » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:39 pm

SWEET donor platform, CO. I got a lot of info from V is for voltage a few years back, used to really scour their pedelec stuff. At the time, there was a lot less available in the states and things that became available changed quickly. Now there are a few more longer lasting sources. I like the use of the canopy for solar panels, wtg for surface area and utility. I'm thinking of designing a chariot sort of side car, with a ramp. It still comes down to charging, and battery capacity and $ and transport, but now it's all dreaming time for me, and that takes up little in the way of resources.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Return to Transportation