How will this Tent fair on the Playa?

Ideas, advice, tips, and tricks regarding shelter, shade, tents, and camping. Yes, this includes RV's too.

Re: How will this Tent fair on the Playa?

Postby Snow » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:37 am

Packoderm wrote:
Snow wrote:
Packoderm wrote:I do not think a commercially available tent exists on this earth that is shade ready for the playa and able to withstand the winds one might encounter on the playa. Anyway, where's the fun in not having a shade to design?
You obviously haven't done much research into 4 season tents then especially this one designed for extreme conditions and winds possibly greater than we see on the playa. You think it might get a little windy on Everest or in Antarctica? :roll: Ever done any winter camping in a raging storm?

I do believe I have, and they are very capable against wind and snow, but can you sleep in them past 10:30 A.M. on a hot morning on the playa?

"I do not think a commercially available tent exists on this earth that is shade ready for the playa and able to withstand the winds one might encounter on the playa." that is the part I was responding to. yes shade is nice for sleeping in the day, IF that is when you are sleeping.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby Packoderm » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:53 am

Packoderm wrote:
Snow wrote:
Packoderm wrote:I do not think a commercially available tent exists on this earth that is shade ready for the playa and able to withstand the winds one might encounter on the playa. Anyway, where's the fun in not having a shade to design?
You obviously haven't done much research into 4 season tents then especially this one designed for extreme conditions and winds possibly greater than we see on the playa. You think it might get a little windy on Everest or in Antarctica? :roll: Ever done any winter camping in a raging storm?

I do believe I have, and they are very capable against wind and snow, but can you sleep in them past 10:30 A.M. on a hot morning on the playa? My motorhome is capable of withstanding all the elements on the playa except for the heat of the sun, and I will in no way run a generator to power an A/C. So, I covered my RV with shade on top and the sides which makes us able to comfortably nap in it at any time of day when other camp members are rousted from their tents, trailers, and campers from the heat of the sun. I didn't take pics of my shade, but a campmate posted this on fb. It's difficult to see it in the photo due to the sunburst crashing through our camp, but the motorhome is in there somewhere.

(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby Packoderm » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:58 am

"I do not think a commercially available tent exists on this earth that is shade ready for the playa and able to withstand the winds one might encounter on the playa." that is the part I was responding to. yes shade is nice for sleeping in the day, IF that is when you are sleeping."

Well, we sometimes do other things in there other than sleeping.
Packoderm

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:06 pm

The tent in question is 15 ft dia. and almost 8 ft tall as it is. Not really suitable to fit under your standard awnings, but could rig a tripod or something to hang shade mesh or camo.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby Packoderm » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:18 pm

Bob wrote:The tent in question is 15 ft dia. and almost 8 ft tall as it is. Not really suitable to fit under your standard awnings, but could rig a tripod or something to hang shade mesh or camo.

You're correct. You'd need a 15x15 shade canopy over it. I was somehow thinking of the tent as as 15x15 square. A structure to go over a 15 foot dome would need to be made of at least 1 3/8 top rail, and/or it would need to be peaked. We had a guy put a larger, shade mesh covered dome over his poly tarp covered dome, and it worked out really nice. His inner dome was an EMT geodome, and the other one was a different kind of dome made from large diameter PVC. I've become a fan of shade mesh. It doesn't even move when poly tarps are flapping.
Packoderm

Postby Snow » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:56 pm

LOL this thread is a perfect example of people who are eager to jump in with their "expertise" without even regarding what the OP was asking, looking at the link provided, the info that was in the link, or what that info had to offer.
Snow

Postby Savannah » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:01 pm

Indeed, I did say "mesh" when I meant "vents", and should be horsewhipped. :lol:
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:05 pm

Nevertheless the replies are applicable to anybody looking at acquiring whatever kind of tent, despite the mispelling in the thread title.

Bob

Postby Snow » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:24 pm

Savannah wrote:Indeed, I did say "mesh" when I meant "vents", and should be horsewhipped. :lol:
YES, yes you should!

I just find it really funny is all.
Snow

Postby pyrocat » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:31 pm

You guys really think this thing would need an additional shade structure above it? damn..

I was hoping for a silver bullet.
pyrocat

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:37 pm

Sure, if you're a day sleeper.

What I don't understand is adding an air conditioner to a tent/cabin made from foam insulation.

Bob

Postby Snow » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:42 pm

shade is DEFINITELY nice, but its not NECESSARY. And honestly no matter what, about 11-noon its hot anyway no matter how much shade you have, so you'll wake up if you can't sleep in the heat.
Snow

Postby Savannah » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:54 pm

pyrocat wrote:You guys really think this thing would need an additional shade structure above it?

Over it (extending out further, so there is a little room for sitting outside) . . . or next to it. I'm a "next to it" kind of person. The heat wakes me at 8:00am on average. Heavier sleepers may fare better. People in box trucks may manage inside until 10:00 or so. People with yurts or swamp coolers do even better (see "Cooling your tent or van" thread).

viewtopic.php?t=33842

Minimal shade of some variety--not necessarily over the tent--is necessary. But that doesn't mean that the tent isn't great.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:26 pm

Believe we've had this discussion. Some people are day sleepers. Some people nap after getting up at dawn and roaming around all morning. Some people combine shade with a windbreak, and want to keep coolers cooler. Good shade cuts the temp down about ten degrees in my experience. A tight fitting rain fly only does so much.

Big plus of a tent that size is room for two or three cots and a steamer trunk. And a monkey, if it's well behaved.

Bob

Postby Sic Pup » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:28 pm

Bob wrote: And a monkey, if it's well behaved.

Where's the fun in that?

At least if you put enough them in a room for long enough you might end up with something worth reading.
Last edited by Sic Pup on Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Packoderm » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:30 pm

I don't think this year was the best test for the effectiveness of shade over tents because the weather was so nice. However, those who had their tents under the shade woke up later smiling about how nice it was, while those with tents in the sun often moved their carcasses on over to the couches that were under the shade to get more sleep.

Here is a picture I've posted before. I think it shows some tents that are well shaded, and there are a few well shaded tents that are obscured by the shade structures. They stayed cooler all day because the ground around them didn't heat up and radiate onto the tent fabric. The mesh on the sides was key. You could comfortably stand barefooted where the ground was shaded by the side mesh screens while the unshaded ground was very hot to the feet.

Packoderm

Postby theCryptofishist » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:50 pm

Oh. the. drama.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:15 pm

Darn those dang diddly hexayurts, reflecting heat on everyone else.

Bob

Postby Eddie » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:02 am

pyrocat wrote:I have an opportunity to trade a used vehicle that I no longer use for this Tent, and I'm wondering how well it will hold up on the Playa. I would most certainly use this thing for other adventures but I'm interested to know if I should use it at BM. I'm a virgin btw, just trying to plan for 2012.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Strongh ... lt,pd.html

Please let me know your opinions. I would love if someone happened to have first hand experience with this particular tent on the Playa.

If you are going to be using it for other adventures and are willing to drag a tent as massive as this around for those and you do not need the money from selling off said used vehicle then it may be a good deal for you.

However this is a serious adventure tent. I've been in the larger one a few times, I think that's called the mothership. Friend of a friend used it at Everest base camp and I wanted to check it out before hand. We set it up in a local park.

It's HUGE, it's HEAVY and it took over an hour to erect.

Remember one thing however. When tent manufacturers list the capacity of a tent they are talking about midgets. That tent may be listed as a 10 man tent but comfortably it will hold half that. How many will be joining you at BM?

I personally would not subject a tent like that to the playa environment. Yes it will hold up just fine. But once it's coated with the playa dust it is almost impossible to get it out. (Tip, spray it down heavily with a 5-1 vineger to water ratio) This way before you pack up you can practically wipe it down with paper towels to clean it. That is if you're not packing up during a sand storm.

Since you're life is not dependent on your shelter during BM unlike if you were on Everest or in the middle of Alaska on your own you do not "need" such a bombproof shelter. A large family tent from walmart may suit your needs just fine for $100-$200 depending on the make\model. Another $100-$200 for a carport type canopy over that would be nice as well.
Eddie

Postby gyre » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Now that's a tent.

gyre

Postby MOOP_Czar » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:23 pm

Oooo... what is it it?
MOOP Czar
MOOP_Czar

Postby Eddie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:34 pm

MOOP_Czar wrote:Oooo... what is it it?

Can't you tell by all the star of davids on it? It's a portable synagogue.

It's a Mountain Hardwear Stronghold.
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Strongh ... lt,pd.html

Here's larger one, called the space station.
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/Space-S ... lt,pd.html
Eddie

Postby Bob » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:17 am

I'd be more concerned about visiting humans fucking it up.

Re: the dust, just follow the manufacturer's recommendations and leave the vinegar in the kitchen.

Bob

Previous

Return to Shelter & Camping