First year burner and i am obsessed. Help.

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

First year burner and i am obsessed. Help.

Postby spiralcma » Sun Sep 11, 2011 3:52 pm

Y'all. I made it to my first burn this year, 2011. I am in my house here in SF.... been here for a week exactly now....and I am not feeling at all normal. I had such a huge, emotional, wonderful, mind blowing time out there on the playa, I am feeling quite obsessed with burning man right now. I can't get my mind off it. I do nothing but google burning man things, and look at pictures and watch videos from this year's burn... and talk about it constantly with my husband and I don't know what to do about it. I feel so inspired by the power of people's energies out there, and how amazing a society can be when everyone is giving into the middle, I felt like I got in touch with something that doesn't exist out here in the default world---and I feel horribly sad to not be at burning man anymore. Is this normal? Will the obsession subside? Am I forever ruined? I feel like I am already counting down the days until next year's burn but I'm afraid I can do little but obsess. I miss the playa magic. Help.
spiralcma

Re: First year burner and i am obsessed. Help.

Postby Savannah » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:00 pm

This is normal. As your attorney, I'd advise you . . .

to geek out with local Burners by joining their mailing lists:
http://regionals.burningman.com/us_ca.html

and go to Decompression parties:
http://www.burningman.com/blackrockcity ... m2011.html

And to revel in the fact that you live in pretty much the number one Burner town on the planet that isn't actually Black Rock City.

Will your obsession subside? No one can tell you. It might not. I mean . . . look at the rest of ePlaya. Most of us are chronic. Treatable, but not curable. :)
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Packoderm » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:02 pm

If I may suggest anything at all, it might be helpful to make your default life pay off in order to make next year's burn bigger than the one you just experienced. That will accomplish two goals. First, it is a means to fulfill your current obsession by making next year's burn happen. Second, applying yourself professionally or otherwise will help establish a healthy balance between your default life and what you're feeling now. I really worked to make this past burn bigger and more awesome for our camp. You can't help but lose something the second time around, and the added effort, comfort, and the appreciation my fellow camp members gave me helped stave off a jaded, been there, done that feeling. I don't know how I'm going to survive a third year if I don't make a mutant vehicle or something.
(currently Zeke Chaparral)
Packoderm

Postby trilobyte » Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:13 pm

In my opinion, it's fairly normal. Playa withdrawals happen. Yes, you're ruined for life ;)

What Savannah said. And hey now, SF Decom is coming up on October 9th! You may also care to look up some of the more active bay area camps and groups (get on the SF regional mailing list), as they're active throughout the year. Space Cowboys, Opulent Temple, Distrikt, etc not only perform at other peoples' events, but are involved in their own shindigs and fundraisers. Even though it's not the playa, there are ample opportunities to connect with like-minded people.

I'd also recommend looking at ways to "take it off the playa" and make your daily life more creative and fun. Art projects, getting involved with causes/things you believe in, trying to be nicer or more outgoing (or whatever elements you found so magical), every little bit helps. I'm probably a bad example though, my brain's been thoroughly playafied :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:46 pm

But can I get Distrikt to cut through my back yard on the way to their house?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Trishntek » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:03 pm

WeLcOmE tO mY wOrLd!
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby spiralcma » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:11 pm

I can't figure out how to reply directly - but , thank you all! I signed up for regional stuff, I am trying to figure out the ways I want to get ore involved (A LOT), I canceled my other plans for the day of the SF decompression, and.... I am going to try to bring the spirit I saw out there into my life and the business I run. I don't think I will have the FULL experience of the playa out here in the city, but I'm realizing that's ok. Chocolate cake is fucking delicious but I can't eat it for every meal, you know? Now I just have to find a theme camp that will let me join so i can work and meet people and prep for 2012.
spiralcma

Postby Milayna » Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:37 pm

I am planning to go to my first burn in 2012, and I have to say reading posts like this make me even more excited! Spiralcma, I think it's so amazing that you got so much out of the burn this year, and obviously had such a great time :)

I'm hoping that my virgin experience will be even half as great as yours was! :D
Milayna

Postby BBadger » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:29 am

Hahaha, you'll be thinking about it all year until you're back. Make sure you get a ticket though, so it isn't two years.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby graidawg » Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:42 am

FUCK YOUR DAY! just fuck it's so far away and i miss it.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby RedHeaven » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:49 am

I know exactly how you feel, you will get used to it and figure out how to balance it all out. The best I can do is be inspired to create and get crackin on it. I do love my default home and I love going and seeing live music (other passions up there with Burning Man) so just let BMan wash over you and inspire you to find the joys in life on a new level. A week is kind of a tease in the grand scheme, but its just enough to be THAT magical. I think any more and you would start to see underbellies of it surface. There are balancing acts and ways to take that Burning in your heart into other world. The job now is to bridge them gracefully.

I always joke "Burning man! Dont go! It will ruin your life!" letting naysayers know how rad it really is. But I dont want Bman to ruin my life anymore, it just hurts too much ;) 7 years since my first Burn and I feel like I have it under control. My participation level grows but not everyone is going to be able to spend the whole fucking year building things for Burning man. You really gotta be in the money or just dedicate your world to it. and thats OK if YOU are OK with that! I personally cannot do that to that extreme but have my ways of adding to the city while not obsessing over it so much that it tears me away from my work and family. Being a live music junkie helps. I have that obsession to attend to. Its already a pain in the ass life fucker over wallet eater ;) hehehehee
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby DrYes » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:03 pm

Spiralcma - You're not the only one in that boat, if that helps! This was my second year. I spent every fucking minute from the moment I woke up after getting my first good night's sleep post-playa until smelling that sweet dust upon arriving this year. I'm not sure it's gotten any better after this year either, likely much to the chagrin of my non-Burner friends who will continue to hear me talk about it constantly for another year.

I think I probably watched every video on youtube about BM 2010 after going, and they made me feel so good I felt compelled to make one of my own this year. Now I just watch my own video over and over, remembering and wishing I could go back now, instead of an impossibly far away next year. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFeTTvDE_FE

Goddam it. Burning Man has ruined my life. In all the best ways.
Burning Man 2013 video || Burning Man 2013 photos
Burning Man 2012 video
Burning Man 2011 video

"We'll never leave, look at us now, so in love with the way we are."
DrYes

Camp Name: Camp Tasty Bits (w/ the Stimulus Tree)

Postby creativecstasy » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:33 am

I'm so happy to hear I'm not alone in this obsessive state! I'm in the bay as well, and can't get on with my life just yet.
creativecstasy

Postby goathead » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:53 am

there is no cure

:twisted:

I lie, there is, but the side effects are really bad.
Ffwcio eich diwrnod
Jebem ti dan
Tpaxhnte ball aehb
Nasrat na vas den
Namaste, zkurvysynu

It will be some sort of incredible over-worded hippie prattle, attempting to disguise the
Eternal Theme
Burn Shit And Blow Shit Up. Eric
goathead

Postby superspatula » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:53 pm

if it makes you feel any better i have not even gone yet and im dysfunctionally obsessed.

i seriously heard about thing like a couple weeks ago and i am not a person who makes snap decisions or have a lifestyle where i can get up and go and do whatever i want and im already completely decided, taken off work, arranged childcare, budgeting......my trip to burning man 2012!

i fear that this will send my neurosis over the edge.

i think we all need a support group! can oprah help?
superspatula

Postby spiralcma » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:38 pm

superspatula wrote:if it makes you feel any better i have not even gone yet and im dysfunctionally obsessed.

i seriously heard about thing like a couple weeks ago and i am not a person who makes snap decisions or have a lifestyle where i can get up and go and do whatever i want and im already completely decided, taken off work, arranged childcare, budgeting......my trip to burning man 2012!

i fear that this will send my neurosis over the edge.

i think we all need a support group! can oprah help?

Yay!!! The same thing happened to me this past year! I will meet you there at 2012 if for nothing more than to give you a high five :)
spiralcma

Postby Trishntek » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:45 pm

Oprah is diametrically opposed to what ails you!
Trishntek

Postby lemur » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:53 pm

said the hardworking DPW guy who came to deal with one of the leaking gray water tanks I was responsible for:

"I got so involved in Burning Man I can't go anymore"

indeed.

at least you aren't to that point yet...
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby troubledenergy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 5:52 am

I feel your pain!!!

But there's always next year and in the meantime, regional stuff :)

hang in there.

xo,

Trouble
troubledenergy

Postby B the B » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:05 pm

In all honesty I would be careful of your emotions. I'm no pro on the subject, being a one time burner in 2010, but I can tell you I was definately affected deeply by my experience. I needed burning man badly, having gone thru a recent divorce and loss of my Dad, who was my boss. I journeyed out from Boston solo and had some very intense, very otherworldly, and very spiritual things happen to me while out there, which is what I wanted and needed. However, maybe it's cause I'm on the east coast, maybe it's cause I was half bat shit crazy even before burning, but most likely not very many people who aren't burners are gonna understand you when you talk about it. Alot of people back east still don't even know what it is, but my friends who do, even after all my praise and expression of love for the burn, still have no real interest in going. Even if they have some interest, they are not going to take the time or spend the money. The reason I say be careful is because it actually hurts, that no one cares sometimes. Your in SF so you have a whole lot more resources available to you, but try to remember to keep the burn going everyday. I've come to realize, the sun, playa, partying, love, exposure, and art are definately a catalyst, but the real meat of the experience is the transformation, the lessons, the evolution of your soul. You can hold on to that and share it everyday without mentioning burning man or black rock city. People generally don't want to hear about what they can't comprehend. Hell the powers-that-be have known that for centuries and depend on it. But that's a whole different story... Bye the way keep us posted on your progress toward 2012, I hope to ride out once again, it would be great to touch base with another obsessed 2nd timer. I'll give you a cold beer and warm hug at the very least!
"what if one of these times the man says f it and decides to burn us?"
B the B

Postby graidawg » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:03 am

STOP SAYING 2012 THATS TO DAMN FAR AWAY. I don;t know what else to say thats not worse though.
completely unconcerned.
"Savannah" I like it . . . it makes us sound forward-thinking, and not at all like trailblazing, professional-level procrastinors.
the rest of us are in the School of Fukkit. "Eric"
graidawg

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dread Pirate barbie

Postby Trishntek » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:16 am

You will be assimilated,,,, RESISTANCE is FUTILE
Trishntek

Postby mgb327 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:06 pm

It was my first also, and I am in the same condition as the OP. I live back East where most people have never heard of Burning Man. Luckily, I shot photos for WDYDWYD? and some other stuff, so I feel "extra" connected. It was a spiritual, life-changing experience for me, already counting the days til the man burns again......
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby mgb327 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:12 pm

After reading more here, I realize, I am fucked. Screwed. I am one. I am BORG. Resistance is Futile. Can't watch the damn videos without crying..........
Dogs are the leaders of the planet. If you see two life forms, one of them’s making a poop, the other one’s carrying it for him, who would you assume is in charge?
" I am a controlled substance". Savannah.
mgb327

Postby bubbavic » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:10 pm

Fuck. And I thought it was just me going crazy.

Not alone for sure. =)
aka FlyingSquirrel =)
bubbavic

Postby trilobyte » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:30 pm

It sounds like you're on the right track :)
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby trilobyte » Sat Sep 17, 2011 11:37 pm

And hang in there, mgb... Not sure exactly where 'back east' is, but there are a lot of active regional groups on the east coast. You're probably within reasonable range of at least one group that gets together a few times throughout the year.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby 5280MeV » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:33 am

Ok, after nearly 4 months post burn, I am ready to hop on this thread and admit obsession with Burning Man. This is a good thing - I had been too consumed with work (physics) recently, I really needed a hobby, and burning has all the ingredients I have been or should have been looking for: free artistic expression; travel, survival, and the outdoors; music, dancing, partying; lots of social interaction with interesting people; and fire.

Above all, my problem with most hobbies is that I have too much of the 'ninja' personality type - or the overwhelming need to be outrageously skilled at something in order to enjoy doing it, driven by some neurotic insecurity. Burning, while probably not immune to ninjaing, discourages it pretty well, and if I am mindful of the my own tendencies I think that I can keep the urge at bay and allow myself to be free.

I also think that American culture is particularly bad for encouraging ninja-ism as we have a tendency to turn every fun activity imaginable into a fucking competition - but maybe that is just me looking at America through ninja-colored glasses.

What initially worried me about this hobby (lifestyle?) is that it is (currently/mostly) tied to a single organization and event. When I got home from BM11, I was really worried about BM jumping the shark - that I had entered just as the whole spirit of the thing was about to fall apart, and that BRC was beginning its decline. Now I am convinced that BM always has and always will be jumping the shark, as it is hurtling above an infinite cascade of sharks towards some outrageously tacky cosmic truth. BRC11 burned to the ground and nothing like it will never happen again - both personally and collectively, but BRC12 will be fun to build.

While I am not ready for this to happen, should the unthinkable actually happen, then it is just another challenge. There are lots of deserts in the world and very few people who really care much about what goes on in most of that space. I have a lighter.

Now back to working on work and working on the packing list in the other window.
5280MeV

Postby Ugly Dougly » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:52 am

Oh, you put hair over one eye and expect me to remain sane!?
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby Bob » Mon Dec 19, 2011 10:25 am

If there's a Ninja Special Olympics (TM), this is it.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Next

Return to Experiences at Burning Man