STAY OFF THE FUCKING ART!

Re: STAY OFF THE FUCKING ART!

Postby gypsymonkey » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:36 pm

"He brought out his wire feed and welded the bikes to the figures." I love it, if you cant beat 'em, join them and then beat 'em!!
Living the dream!
gypsymonkey

Postby Dr Helix » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:57 am

Ugly Dougly wrote:Instead of walking around saying "tut-tut" like someone's mother-in-law, take radical resposibility, put up signs or razor wire, or build it stoutly, baboon-proof your art.

That's what we did. My wife Lisa and I had the "Heart of The City" piece near 5:30 and Esplanade. It was two intertwined roses in the shape of a heart. I put a LOT of reinforcement into it, and also made it very hard to climb onto. But people still managed to get up there. The biggest problem I see is that there is a lot of art where climbing is okay or even encouraged. And signs saying "no climbing" don't work. So I would agree; make it bombproof.
"Love, Rockets and write when you get work"
Dr Helix

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Interaction Cafe

Postby Sic Pup » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:19 pm

Dr Helix wrote:
Ugly Dougly wrote:Instead of walking around saying "tut-tut" like someone's mother-in-law, take radical resposibility, put up signs or razor wire, or build it stoutly, baboon-proof your art.

That's what we did. My wife Lisa and I had the "Heart of The City" piece near 5:30 and Esplanade. It was two intertwined roses in the shape of a heart. I put a LOT of reinforcement into it, and also made it very hard to climb onto. But people still managed to get up there. The biggest problem I see is that there is a lot of art where climbing is okay or even encouraged. And signs saying "no climbing" don't work. So I would agree; make it bombproof.

One of my favorite pieces. It was quite evident the love that went into making it.
I watched both the Man and Temple burn from underneath it, great location, there was a certain grace about the spot that made it just perfect.

I commented to the young lady that chained her bike to it (that Lisa ended up lovingly moving so you could access the battery) that "I'm sure the artist put all the work into it just so you treat it like a bike rack" but she was oblivious. She also left behind a souvenir Red Bull can that I mooped for her. Actually I was surprised that neither of you seemed the least bit upset about it, I thought it was terribly rude of her.

I apologize for not congratulating you two, that fellow who traveled with you in your MV that I shared discussions/hugs both nights with had thrown me off guard. We spoke of nothing earth-shattering but I felt a real connection, he was one of the highlights of the burn for me. Awesome hugger.

Anyway, a belated Mazel Tov! and thank you so much for the heart, awesome work!
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon
Sic Pup

Postby Bounce530 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:50 pm

Dr Helix wrote:That's what we did. My wife Lisa and I had the "Heart of The City" piece near 5:30 and Esplanade. It was two intertwined roses in the shape of a heart.

Everytime my g/f and I were out on playa, she would remark that was her favorite piece.
Thank you for such a wonderful creation.
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Previous

Return to 2011 Art & Performance