Electrolyte Tablets

What do you eat and drink on the playa? Share ideas, recipes and advice here.

Electrolyte Tablets

Postby trilobyte » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:28 am

One of the new things I did on the playa this year was bring electrolyte tablets (thanks to Turnip for the great trip in the electrolyte drinks thread). I've done Emergen-C, pedialyte, and Gatorade in the past, but was kind of annoyed at having to drink something I didn't want to drink (or in the case of gatorade, drink a lot more of the stuff than I would normally want to).

The stuff I got was from a company called Trace Minerals, and was relatively cheap (a big bottle to cover myself and my girlfriend as well as share with campmates was under $20). While I have to say they tasted awful, they really did the job. It's not a 'take once a day' thing, you're expected to pop them regularly/as-needed. We arrived during the heat of the day on the Friday before the event and like fools figured we could just plow right through and build the main shade structure - by the time that was done I felt cooked in more ways than one. Then I remembered we'd brought them, and gave it a try. Feeling noticeably better within 15 minutes and back to work soon after. Really, really great stuff - something you may care to consider as a camp staple.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Electrolyte Tablets

Postby Bounce530 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:47 am

I stepped up to Vitalyte this year from previous years of drinking Costco's version of Vitamin Water, and could really tell the difference, so on this advise I'm going to add these tablets to the shopping list for next year.
Thanks!
TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:58 am

Bounce530 wrote:I stepped up to Vitalyte this year from previous years of drinking Costco's version of Vitamin Water, and could really tell the difference, so on this advise I'm going to add these tablets to the shopping list for next year.
Thanks!

+1000

Vitalyte is the shiz..

What I would advise though is doing half and half. Vitalyte during the day and water during the night. Something about too much electrolyte solution made my tongue hurt.. it was def the trace minerals in the Vitalyte.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby troubledenergy » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:01 am

I brought salt tabs and used them a bit, but it wasn't so hot the point i was sweating profusely.
troubledenergy

Postby deutlich » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:15 am

I seriously need to get a pen and pad out and start jotting down notes. All this advice is freakin' awesome and I hope to goodness I don't forget half of it by 2012.
| Liebe alles | 2012 Burgin |
Avi: http://archann.deviantart.com/
deutlich

Postby trilobyte » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:19 pm

I may also end up grabbing a case (or two) of that propel stuff for next year, or one of the other sports/flavored waters. Grabbed an icy cold one at the Empire Store while heading out on Tuesday and it was all kinds of refreshing without being too sweet.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby junglesmacks » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:53 pm

deutlich wrote:I seriously need to get a pen and pad out and start jotting down notes. All this advice is freakin' awesome and I hope to goodness I don't forget half of it by 2012.

Oh don't worry.. in the next 11 months there will be approximately 6 new footwear threads, 3 new electrolyte threads, 10 new backpack threads, 12 new food threads and 7 new shade structure threads..

..and I'm already pre-facepalming for next years 53463564575 "I need a miracle" ticket threads.
junglesmacks

Postby jkisha » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:00 pm

Are you supposed to chew them? Or swallow them whole like aspirins or other pills?

trilobyte wrote:One of the new things I did on the playa this year was bring electrolyte tablets (thanks to Turnip for the great trip in the electrolyte drinks thread). I've done Emergen-C, pedialyte, and Gatorade in the past, but was kind of annoyed at having to drink something I didn't want to drink (or in the case of gatorade, drink a lot more of the stuff than I would normally want to).

The stuff I got was from a company called Trace Minerals, and was relatively cheap (a big bottle to cover myself and my girlfriend as well as share with campmates was under $20). While I have to say they tasted awful, they really did the job. It's not a 'take once a day' thing, you're expected to pop them regularly/as-needed. We arrived during the heat of the day on the Friday before the event and like fools figured we could just plow right through and build the main shade structure - by the time that was done I felt cooked in more ways than one. Then I remembered we'd brought them, and gave it a try. Feeling noticeably better within 15 minutes and back to work soon after. Really, really great stuff - something you may care to consider as a camp staple.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby trilobyte » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:18 pm

I just swallowed them with water.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Lassen Forge » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:28 pm

Kinda like Fizzies??

Yeah, I'm a convert, too... 1000% better thant he flavored water drinks. 2 tabs in my quart water bottle - and I'm good 2 go!
Lassen Forge

Location: Where it's always... Wednesday. Don't lose your head over it.

Postby trilobyte » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:35 pm

No, like an aspirin. Pop in mouth, swallow with a mouthful of water.

Fuck, now I'm not sure. They tasted bad just hitting my tongue for a couple seconds, I can't imagine that you'd need to chew on them or dissolve them in water to drink...

*runs to check*

Take like aspirin, with a large amount of fluids. Hmm, also says you can take 4-6 daily during periods of heavy activity. I was just popping them one at a time periodically whenever I was doing much in the way of work. 3-4 times a day for the first 4-5 days, may have skipped a day or two (lazy in that I wasn't exerting myself, not that I skipped out on taking them), and then 1-2 times a day at the end.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby BBadger » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:28 pm

I don't understand why people feel the need to take supplemental sodium, let alone those archaic salt tablets. You're not athletes where you'll be perspiring a liter an hour on a long hard marathon. You're probably just lounging most of the day while at BM in the shade. You don't need athlete-class supplements to stay you over at BM.

Even if you're not just chilling during the day, most of you will get all or nearly all of your sodium from the foods you're eating. Camping mainstays like bacon and ramen have TONS of sodium in them, as do virtually all processed and/or camping foods. The only reason I'd take an electrolyte tablet is for potassium, and it is much better to eat foods with it present (such as avocados) than to take some supplement. Try it: bring some avocados, slice them up, lightly salt them and enjoy. You're good to go, and even get some good cholesterol too if you care. If you think you need some sodium and other such minerals on the road, munch on some salted nuts or trail mix. It's cheaper, tasty, actually provides some nutrition, and isn't some pill or fructose-saturated drink.

Look this shit up, and gauge your true exertion at BM. Are you pounding the playa like an Olympian? No? Then again, you don't need athlete-class supplements.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby Sail Man » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:30 pm

After a few brewski's I begin to piss clear and get plenty of salt via beer nuts and pretzels.

Oh wait, this isn't page 2 yet. Damn.

8)
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby jkisha » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:56 pm

trilobyte wrote:I just swallowed them with water.

Thanks. I just asked because you said they tasted awful so I was confused.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby Nipple » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:26 pm

Hammer Nutrition makes a pill that is tasteless called Endurolytes.

http://www.hammernutrition.com/products ... s.elt.html

I've used them on 100+ mi bike trips where I'm in the sun and sweating all day. They're pretty awesome. I didn't bring any with me this year. Might not be a bad idea in future years.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Postby trilobyte » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:48 pm

Speak for yourself, BBadger, I spend a lot of time exerting myself out there. Nevermind the time spent before the event designing and preparing the materials, I spent days out there designing and building my camp's structures and art. I also spend a fair amount of time out there dancing (most by night, where it's less of an issue, but a fair amount by day) as well as pedaling.

In my case, I only ever really took them or 5-HTP when my body felt drained/depleted, or I felt like I wasn't able to muster the energy to do something that I should have (I was remarkably well rested this year). As it stands, I think I probably could have done a better job staying on top of the stuff (particularly on build/teardown days). As an admitted non-athlete, I benefitted greatly from the stuff. Much better than I had using electrolyte drinks in years past, and worlds better than if I had just relied on salt and natural production of free ions and whatnot.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby bubbavic » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:34 am

I bought some electrolyte powder and mixed it into my camelbak reservoir. Wasn't super tasty but it wasn't bad for sure. I knew I was going to be doing a lot of dancing and long bike trekking so it definitely helped. Other camp mates opted out of the mix and didn't fare as well.
aka FlyingSquirrel =)
bubbavic

Postby trilobyte » Sat Sep 17, 2011 9:04 am

Thanks for the tip, Nipple, bookmarking it now.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby BBadger » Sat Sep 17, 2011 2:56 pm

trilobyte wrote:Speak for yourself, BBadger, I spend a lot of time exerting myself out there. Nevermind the time spent before the event designing and preparing the materials, I spent days out there designing and building my camp's structures and art. I also spend a fair amount of time out there dancing (most by night, where it's less of an issue, but a fair amount by day) as well as pedaling.

I can understand replacing electrolytes with electrolyte pills like Endurolytes or those -lyte drinks, but salt tablets?! They're old school "remedies" usually used if you're chugging too much water and have an imbalance that way. Even so it's hard to even gauge how much you need, and sodium is not all that helpful on its own.

And speaking for myself, whenever I did feel "depleted", it wasn't my muscles feeling stiff and weak from a lack of electrolytes, but just general dehydration. I only drank pedialyte, etc. when I had been pissing way too much during the night from diuretics--then it was necessary to restore the balance due to too much water.

In the end, if they make you feel better, go for it. You probably were doing a lot this burn, and weren't just gulping down those pills/drinks all the time either. I know that I did bring some magnesium oxide and B-complex supplements which made it easier to sleep and feel better after a long day; they probably seem like black magic voodoo pills too. Still, I'm just not convinced that most people should be ingesting these things when they're really just dehydrated, and have probably eaten an assload of salt in their tasty bacon meal in the morning and ramen noodle lunch (or maybe that's just me...).
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

BBadger

Postby trilobyte » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:23 am

Electrolyte pills are more than just salt, man. Sure, salt's in them but that's hardly the only ingredient (same goes with the electrolyte drinks). Even back at my first burn in 2004 (before I ever really built anything or had any projects going on-playa), electrolyte supplements were an essential part of getting through it comfortably - and the only daytime activities I was engaged in was dancing or crewing an art car.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby junglesmacks » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:29 am

BBadger wrote:Look this shit up, and gauge your true exertion at BM. Are you pounding the playa like an Olympian? No? Then again, you don't need athlete-class supplements.

Actually, I am. I'm in the middle of a moisture sucking desert while biking/walking 8-12 miles a day and dancing under the sun from 3pm-6pm. A little extra electrolyte goes a long, long way.
junglesmacks

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:23 am

I was just thinking about taking the electrolyte pills vs the drinks and wonder if they could lead to dehydration for some people because though they are getting the electrolytes, they might not be getting enough fluids?
JK
jkisha

Postby Corvus » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:43 am

Like trilobyte says, electolyte (either liquid or powder) is more than just NaCl you need potassium (for muscle cramps) and magnesium as well (I forget on the Mg). Having owned horses and being cheap, I bought on my first burn a five-pound can of horse elecrolyte for $12, enough to last for years serving a camp of 150+. There's no sugar in it so you add just 1/4 tsp per half liter. I put instructions saying so on the jar I set out but some people can't read so I find glasses of salty water sitting around. Even at that rate, you want about one container in three to have the stuff in it.
Corvus

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Postby BBadger » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:43 pm

trilobyte wrote:Electrolyte pills are more than just salt, man. Sure, salt's in them but that's hardly the only ingredient (same goes with the electrolyte drinks). Even back at my first burn in 2004 (before I ever really built anything or had any projects going on-playa), electrolyte supplements were an essential part of getting through it comfortably - and the only daytime activities I was engaged in was dancing or crewing an art car.

I guess I was just concentrating on the mention of salt tablets, which I'm surprised are even sold anymore. The reason I drank electrolyte drinks at BM was for the potassium in particular, as my foods had well enough sodium to last me through the day working on things, biking, dancing, etc.

jkisha wrote:I was just thinking about taking the electrolyte pills vs the drinks and wonder if they could lead to dehydration for some people because though they are getting the electrolytes, they might not be getting enough fluids?

Yeah, you don't want to be pissing no-color clear any more than you want to be pissing orange--wasting both the electrolytes and the water. That pee jug thread in particular makes me think people are overhydrating, and perhaps over-supplementing. It may be their "water training" back home. Some people drink water like they're a hydroelectric dam and have high water sensitivity. Speaking for myself, I don't drink all too many liquids back home, or not more than to keep cracks from forming in my cuticles and maintain good color levels of piss.

BBadger

Postby number3 » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:30 pm

A campmate brought us 20lbs. of Himalayan rock salt shards. I can get these at my local Whole Foods :) And they're cheap and last a REALLY LONG TIME. I would get a bit dizzy, and just take a couple of licks... Instant recovery.

Highly recommended.
number3

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: French Quarter

Postby NessaZee » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:22 am

I've used the Health Solute-ions electrolyte pills and tried a new one this year NutriBiotic. NutriBiotic were cheaper and had lower amounts of trace minerals than the Health solute-ions one. Too many trace minerals makes for loose bowels which can be an interesting adventure :lol:

I'm the person in my camp who brings the kitchen and that has a bin full of first-aid and remedies, so I have these pills but don't rely on them. they are more for an oops, i feel like shit...what is going on? or oops fell asleep while drunk and my shade disappeared moment.
Depending on my campmates'/visitor's state, i would offer a variety of things to take care of electrolyte levels. Banana-coconut milk(shakes) were the most popular (banana/coconut milk/hemp hearts/maple syrup/vanilla extract/ice). Green drinks+spirulina were a hit. Sometimes consuming solid food would 'weigh me down' and I wanted to deliver my nutrients in a drink. I also utilized my dehydrator to the max before the burn and had many dried banana slices. and soaked almonds dehydrated with coarse sea salt and maple syrup. i think it's totally best to get your nutrients from whole foods as our bodies assimilate them better....but sometimes we need help...enter the pills.
Last edited by Lassen Forge on Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited by moderator BB Sue: Removed website links.
~Om-Nom-Nom~~simplicity is potent~~handjob gallery~~the best is yet to come~
NessaZee

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue May 29, 2012 12:35 pm

BBadger wrote: ...makes me think people are overhydrating, and perhaps over-supplementing. It may be their "water training" back home. Some people drink water like they're a hydroelectric dam and have high water sensitivity. ...

The idea of "high water sensitivity" describes me for certain. I drink close to a gallon of water most days, sometimes more. It's not that I'm extremely active or living in an exceptionally dry, hot climate; I just like to drink water and get thirsty if I don't.

So, I see two options for me in going to Burning Man:

1) Deal with it. Be aware that my body is expecting more water than most people's. In this case, I would include this difference in my calculations for how much water to bring and I would try to be extra-vigilant in drinking water frequently and taking electrolytes.

or b) Adjust beforehand. Slowly wean myself to a more average water intake per day during the week leading up to BM. I know some people cut back their caffeine or cigarettes starting a few weeks before the playa, so I think it'd be doable.

To be on the safe side, I suppose I should do both. Drinking plenty of water out there is a good idea for everyone, not just the water sensitive.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
BoyScoutGirl

Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby Jackass » Tue May 29, 2012 12:53 pm

About a half qt.- qt. per day of pedialyte shortly after waking should have you feeling like a rockstar for the better part of the day. Hangover helper, makes a great meal!
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby Savannah » Tue May 29, 2012 12:56 pm

I am fond of the Pedialyte myself. Apple flavor. :)
*** 2013 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Nipple » Tue May 29, 2012 1:11 pm

Savannah wrote:I am fond of the Pedialyte myself. Apple flavor. :)

Mixes well with vodka.
Nipple

Burning Since: 2017

Next

Return to Food & Drink