Party mess on deep playa, art?

Re: Party mess on deep playa, art?

Postby trilobyte » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:07 am

Incredible setup, lemur, your camp really has it sorted out right!
trilobyte
Site Admin

Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby moonrise » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:48 am

lemur wrote:hmm..

i dunno, i have a feeling that whatever the 230 hardworkin volunteers in my camp were eating night, it was probably better.... whatever night it was.... than the stuff these people got..

cuz ya know, we make our meals with love!!! real love, the kind that comes through the hard times and builds into friendships that feel more like families...

NO we dont make it with chintzy corporate advertising circle jerks in mind!!!

OOOOoooh Aaaaaah....I wanna be a lemur, hehehe, impressive set up!! & lovely, happy people...(I'm fairly new, I do the $125 in basic groceries and keep it simple, but uh yea, maybe someday...I can dream....heh heh!

(My camp(s) did cook, but I usually miss the meals, lmao) I bring my own food bc I MUST be radically self reliant, juuuust in case the un-expected occurs :shock: I did manage to keep red delicious apples fresh in a box on the floor of my truck and had 1 or 2 a day, and some carrots and what not, the rest; mostly canned dinty moore beef stew, foil packs of tuna, granola, granola bars, stuff in the easy non-cooler based foods thread junglesmacks created, so far it has worked out well. (thanks JS!!)

Oh yeah, and coffee singles tea bag type with mini haf n haf and raw sugar, phew!
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby lemur » Fri Sep 16, 2011 11:51 am

thanks folks..

I get tons of help to make that kitchen happen.. but we are the Lamplighters and we do indeed kick ass! So, we make it happen even if its tough...

Something in me dies a little seeing that setup with the fancy tables for the corp sponsored wine special guest thing..

I have no idea what it took to make that happen, surely it was tough!! making food out there is hard.. for sure.

but still, the whole chintzy, out in the open flaunted thing seems a bit cheezy.... i mean uhh.. why not back in camp?

did anyone actually care? or was it just another stop on the tour? ...that wmagazine thing really doesnt make it seem very awesome to me.. feels advertisementy

in showing what i was responsible for this year i guess i wanted to show some other side of things.... if this thread is an example of a type of meal burners could frown upon maybe what i showed is what we can use as a 'doin it right' example.

Lamplighters kitchen is for the dedicated villagers who volunteer to light the city every night of the week, working every day to make it happen. The kitchen isnt open to the public or walk-up one night only volunteers or VIP's..just registered hard workers who actually do stufff for the city. When villagers get their food they wander off to their tent or to the lounge. We eat well because we work hard.. We build community over food... Our meals are important to us.... not something thatd be flaunted in front of anyone on the playa who drives past .... i even feel kind of weird having shown it here on eplaya!

the way i see things on the playa is the worst place to flaunt your VIP guests only stuff... and this meal / event depicted in those magazine photos is a good example of what not to do... it is even more lame than an invite only party bus with only 10 VIPs on it

i mean uhh.. i didnt even light the outside of the kitchen i setup...... i dont WANT people to know its there, because they arent invited and you surely have an idea how hard it is to say NO when it comes to food ON THE PLAYA..

(i think these people were doin it wrong)

just my 2 dusty playa pennies worth of insight

-
lemur - lamplighters kitchen manager
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby moonrise » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:05 pm

lemur wrote:thanks folks..

I get tons of help to make that kitchen happen.. but we are the Lamplighters and we do indeed kick ass! So, we make it happen even if its tough...

Something in me dies a little seeing that setup with the fancy tables for the corp sponsored wine special guest thing..

I have no idea what it took to make that happen, surely it was tough!! making food out there is hard.. for sure.

but still, the whole chintzy, out in the open flaunted thing seems a bit cheezy.... i mean uhh.. why not back in camp?

did anyone actually care? or was it just another stop on the tour? ...that wmagazine thing really doesnt make it seem very awesome to me.. feels advertisementy

in showing what i was responsible for this year i guess i wanted to show some other side of things.... if this thread is an example of a type of meal burners could frown upon maybe what i showed is what we can use as a 'doin it right' example.

Lamplighters kitchen is for the dedicated villagers who volunteer to light the city every night of the week, working every day to make it happen. The kitchen isnt open to the public or walk-up one night only volunteers or VIP's..just registered hard workers who actually do stufff for the city. When villagers get their food they wander off to their tent or to the lounge. We eat well because we work hard.. We build community over food... Our meals are important to us.... not something thatd be flaunted in front of anyone on the playa who drives past .... i even feel kind of weird having shown it here on eplaya!

the way i see things on the playa is the worst place to flaunt your VIP guests only stuff... and this meal / event depicted in those magazine photos is a good example of what not to do... it is even more lame than an invite only party bus with only 10 VIPs on it

just my 2 dusty playa pennies worth of insight

-
lemur - lamplighters kitchen manager

Oh wow! Last year, my first year through the gate, I camped 100 feet away from Center Camp, a few camps down from LLghtrs. I made insane fire drinks for some Staggers there one night (looong story, but in short... I was handed the entire bar and megaphone and and and, let's just say it was gooood :P )

Allll of the Lamplighters, along with the location being smack dab in the HEART of the city, was incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!
I saw all the parades, lamplighters lighting the city and on and on, all of it unfold daily.
Thanks for everything everyone! Especially Lamplighters :D
I had a mindblowing fantastic burngin burn and then some...

I have a 21 year old burngin godson, he's planning to go in 2013 and I plan to direct him to join Lamplighters!! (NOT a rowdy sound camp or who KNOWS what, his buddies? yikes!) I want him to experince something close to my first burn and you're reputation for being an excellent choice for burngins is outstanding, he's quiet and a musician, but uh, he's at that age ya know...21!!
I'll PM ya' soon Lemur, we have a few questions when you have the time 8)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!
moonrise

Postby lucky420 » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:06 pm

"Well would you look at that, just look at that."

I am having a hard time getting past all the cheap janky ass feathers in the pic....bastards!!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:15 pm

Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby jkisha » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:23 pm

:oops: I don't find anything wrong with that. But then again, I'm from Los Angeles.
(I should say that I couldn't see any but the first pic cause it's not supported on the iPad, but I can't imagine anything in W Magazine I wouldn't like.)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby chefjuke » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:47 am

Grrrr.....

As someone who has also fed tons of folks on the playa (fed 250-550 brunch every day for 5 days back in 1999 at the BLD's Blue Light Bistro communal kitchen) AND who has volunteered for the org (DMV) and just as a longtime burner I am pretty incensed about this.

It violates not only the rules - 3-day build of the table out where only art installations should be - but also the spirit of Burning Man - commercial promotional event - moop-laden guests leaving moop behind.....

If they were just a bunch of friends who tried the the surreptitious dinner table build and subsequent dinner ...I might feel differently....maybe even give them kudos for being ballsy enough to try and then getting away with it... But this is just....

...slimy.

While I don't think it will serve as the death-knell of Burning Man (been hearing folks predict that for 18 years now), it will give the BMAN Org something to chew on...respond to...and watch out for in the future...

-Chef Juke
-Chef Juke
http://www.chefjuke.com/burnman
"Everybody Eats When They Come To MY House!"
chefjuke

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:23 am

I saw way too many beer bottles on the playa. I can't recall having ever seen them in the previous 4 years.

I have friends who do a guerilla style dinner on the playa Burn night. I've never attended, and now that I think about it, it's really not a good idea as far as mess, but I've always applauded them for doing it.

I ate better at Burning Man 2011 than any previous year. I did a solo venture but dry-iced a bunch of pre-prepared delicacies, which worked out perfectly. Dry ice lasted Monday-Sunday!!!!! Between those and the many delicious, love-filled meals I was fed by various friends, I really ate like a king.
MyPlayaUserName

Postby Snow » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:59 pm

yep horrible idea this was. Nice work everyone else though!
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:34 pm

Might be nice to know whether *some* official person approved the placement, or looked the other way, though Andie with the Media dept says the org had no prior knowledge of the nature of the media piece. I'm sure those involved have gotten stern emails.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby FuckingEh » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:40 pm

Bob wrote:Might be nice to know whether *some* official person approved the placement, or looked the other way, though Andie with the Media dept says the org had no prior knowledge of the nature of the media piece. I'm sure those involved have gotten stern emails.

No one approved this.
FuckingEh

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Darwin Fish Tank

Postby Lady V » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:02 pm

I've been thinking about this since the OP posted, and feel worse and worse about it. It was essentially an ad for the cool people who make and buy W magazine--and I'll bet it sold some advertising in the magazine, too--the setting is, of course, unique and gorgeous. Of course, if they just wanted a vaguely similar setting for a photo shoot, they could've gone to the salt flats in Utah... If I'd have been able to go this year, I would feel even more used than I do already.
Lady V

Postby jkisha » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:13 pm

Hey, that's the price paid for being the most in vogue counter culture event of our time. It's now chic to be a burner!

Lady V wrote:I've been thinking about this since the OP posted, and feel worse and worse about it. It was essentially an ad for the cool people who make and buy W magazine--and I'll bet it sold some advertising in the magazine, too--the setting is, of course, unique and gorgeous. Of course, if they just wanted a vaguely similar setting for a photo shoot, they could've gone to the salt flats in Utah... If I'd have been able to go this year, I would feel even more used than I do already.
Last edited by jkisha on Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby Bob » Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:22 pm

Bonneville is BLM too, pretty sure they would have had to get a permit for commercial photography -- as opposed to sneaking it in at Burning Man.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby FuckingEh » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:17 pm

Bob wrote:Bonneville is BLM too, pretty sure they would have had to get a permit for commercial photography -- as opposed to sneaking it in at Burning Man.

Normally you would apply to shoot (Burningman does actually restrict how much media is allowed to shoot) but this is a clear case of 'sneaking it' past the DMV and Media Mecca.
FuckingEh

Camp Name: Darwin Fish Tank

Postby clerkkent » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:52 am

So when 'corporate infused' camps and events occur at BM, particularly non-sanctioned by the BMORG, should BMORG take a stronger stand against them? Or is it up to we the BRC people to just ignore these 'camps' and their sponsors?
7 burns and counting. Each one gets better.
clerkkent

Postby jkisha » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:14 am

Totally up to BMORG. The only responsibility of BRC participants should be reporting offenders (and to bitch about it here on eplaya, of course) to BMORG, not to be vigilantes.

clerkkent wrote:So when 'corporate infused' camps and events occur at BM, particularly non-sanctioned by the BMORG, should BMORG take a stronger stand against them? Or is it up to we the BRC people to just ignore these 'camps' and their sponsors?
JK
jkisha

Postby MyDearFriend » Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:14 pm

I personally picked up a shit-ton of fake-fur-and-dyed-feather-shreds on Sunday & Monday, so...

:evil: :evil: :evil:

all of that just makes me mad.

"Zoo Camp," was it? Hmmmm....

*makes a note for next year*
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby Bin Noddin » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:33 pm

I'm sure that the set-up was completely dismantled and cleaned up. I mean, they hire Mexicans for that, don't they?
"I have gobs of mustard and ketchup on the front of my shirt, which does not make me a hot dog." Sam A. McKeen
Bin Noddin

Postby trilobyte » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:43 pm

It's definitely on the BMOrg radar, and is being investigated.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby bubbavic » Wed May 16, 2012 4:20 pm

Just caught wind of this mess. Shame on them!

Here's the burningman blog post on it: http://blog.burningman.com/2012/05/tenp ... rning-man/
aka FlyingSquirrel =)
bubbavic

Postby lucky420 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:49 pm

Zoo camp needs to be banned
Oh my god, it's HUGE!
lucky420

Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby Jackass » Thu May 17, 2012 12:48 pm

I say we hang the bastards,just kidding not really. But I'm sure public ridicule and shaming is well within order. Everyone, to their torches and pitchforks!!
Don't worry, it'll get weird...
Jackass

Postby trilobyte » Thu May 17, 2012 1:10 pm

Krug Champagne's FB & Twitter accounts have been slammed with backlash, their PR firm has pulled the webpage, and Charles Krug Winery has posted a statement to say they are NOT affiliated with Krug Champagne in any way. I feel bad for the Napa winery getting caught in the crossfire, but glad to hear that Krug Champagne is feeling it.
trilobyte
Site Admin

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu May 17, 2012 1:31 pm

mmmmmmm, beautiful people.....
Attachments
kruggers.jpg
kruggers.jpg (156.31 KiB) Viewed 1551 times
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu May 17, 2012 1:40 pm

wiki....
Attachments
controversy.jpg

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby Simon of the Playa » Thu May 17, 2012 2:06 pm

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Postby TomServo » Thu May 17, 2012 4:02 pm

"Our head catering chef, Ana Morris, spent all day prepping the dinner back at the campsite, located about a mile away from the dinner site. Just before the dinner, our team drove our refrigeration van out toward the dinner and plated all the dishes from a makeshift kitchen space we created just next to the table."

..apparently, they broke another rule.

http://www.burningman.com/on_the_playa/ ... iving.html
anything worth doing..is worth overdoing

Vor Gebrauch Sprengkapsel einsetzen
TomServo

Camp Name: BloodBath&Beyond

Postby Ugly Dougly » Thu May 17, 2012 4:41 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:mmmmmmm, beautiful people.....

That was before the dust storm hit and all shit went to fuck.
Searching for the babe's post-simoom shot. ;)
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

PreviousNext

Return to 2011 Art & Performance