2011 Eplaya Meet & Greet

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

2011 Eplaya Meet & Greet

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:38 pm

Hey, had a great time meeting and saying hello to everyone that came to the meet-up this year.

I thought the potluck was a great idea and we had a lot of people that contributed. Thank you all for your efforts as preparing food on the play has its own unique challenges. However, to that end, I was a bit disappointed, even angry that the food brought to the meet n greet was seemingly enjoyed by everyone on the playa except the eplayans. This was not right, and I was under the impression that Doc Pyro was planning on making this a private event.

In order to avoid this from happening again next year, I want to propose using our space at the Mud Skipper Cafe to hold the pot-luck meet-n-greet. It will be a private event, open only to eplayans and their guests. We will serve root beer floats and provide a DJ for either dancing or background music; and will supply paper plates and plastic utensils and bar cups, as well as collect the trash.

If everyone agrees, the offer is open.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: 2011 Eplaya Meet & Greet

Postby ibdave » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:50 pm

fuck fuck fuck, Missed the meetNgreet... fuck fuck fuck........ :roll: :roll: :roll:
I was Born OK the 1st Time....

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Burning Since: 1998

Postby Turnip » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:05 pm

Was gonna go, but my food I was planning on sharing was munched by my camp mates before and I would have felt dumb showing up without any yummiest. :(
God Please, don't make me make myself look like a moron...
Turnip

Postby A Jester » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:08 pm

I wanted to go but then I saw these people and did these things and the next thing I knew it was Saturday.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby ibdave » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:52 pm

A Jester wrote:I wanted to go but then I saw these people and did these things and the next thing I knew it was Saturday.

+100 8) 8) 8)

Don't bring defaultia to Burning Man, take Burning Man to defaultia...... graidawg
ibdave

Postby anonymousdonor11 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:01 pm

"These things"
anonymousdonor11

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:44 pm

Not bringing something is no reason for not attending. Your presence is more important than anything you could bring.

Turnip wrote:Was gonna go, but my food I was planning on sharing was munched by my camp mates before and I would have felt dumb showing up without any yummiest. :(
JK
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
jkisha

Postby jkisha » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:47 pm

That is no excuse. Everybody does the things they find important. It just shows where the meet n greet is in your level of priorities. So stop with the bullshit and just own up to it.

ibdave wrote:
A Jester wrote:I wanted to go but then I saw these people and did these things and the next thing I knew it was Saturday.

+100 8) 8) 8)
JK
jkisha

Postby theCryptofishist » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:22 pm

Turnip wrote:Was gonna go, but my food I was planning on sharing was munched by my camp mates before and I would have felt dumb showing up without any yummiest. :(

Please, don't think that. You are more important than your food.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby Sail Man » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:44 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:

Please, don't think that. You are more important than your food.

Hmmmm, that depends on what was the intended vittal's LOL jk, jk :wink:

I for one liked the idea of a pot luck and would love to continue doing them. It seemed i arrived after many had been consumed but i did get a few sips under my belt of some liquid versions. I for one will have to remember to bring more wild boar bacon next year, it was rather tasty.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Dr. Pyro » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:07 am

Let me get this out of the way first: Jkisha, how in the world was I supposed to keep the M&G "private" when it's impossible to know everyone? And besides, we have an open camp (read: welcoming) and it would be completely out of place to try and enclose it.

Now that said, I had a fabulous time at the M&G and I thought everybody who contributed did a fine job. MyDearFriend did a splendid job of cat herding and I heard nary a word of discontent. Maybe we should do it again next year?
Dr. Pyro

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby ygmir » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:48 am

probably my favorite MnG ever!!!!! met and interacted with so many wonderful folks..........
and, an event I look forward to, each year!!

Maybe, JK, have a "private party" at your camp? I'd do that, too. I totally get your point.
But, I do see what Doc is saying, about open and welcoming.
Nuthin wrong with two parties, IMHO, on different nights.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby A Jester » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:24 am

jkisha wrote:That is no excuse. Everybody does the things they find important. It just shows where the meet n greet is in your level of priorities. So stop with the bullshit and just own up to it.

ibdave wrote:

+100 8) 8) 8)

Got ya beat, owned up to it a month ago:

A Jester wrote:Uh, Thursday plans?

Here's the thing, I've got two organizations that ask me to live up to schedules, and I'm getting married on playa this year, and then by the time Thursday rolls around...

To make rough estimates: non-100% committed-because-people-are-relying-on-me plans have an 85% chance of being lived up to on Saturday before the event, I'd say that percentage gets halved every day after that. So, I can say "Heck ya! I love beer and snark! It's all I really want out of live (aside from sex, bacon, and coffee) anyhow!" And I'll really mean it. But, if I'm not working a shift on Thursday, I may not even know what day it is. And Wednesday at sunset is my wedding. And Wednesday night my camp does a big Catholic School Girl Bar Ride. Thursday...

Of course I'll positively... errr... promise to try super hard to... err... aim for being there.
ZaphodBurner wrote:
The difference between buying a ticket from a scalper and prostituting yourself for one is, if you suck dick for a ticket and brag about it, burners will still respect you.
A Jester

Postby thelionking » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:30 am

I went to the M&G. Thanks for putting it on. I met one of the three people I was hoping to meet.

One suggestion. Can you make the premade name tags much bigger with the ePlaya names. I felt uncomfortable walking up to people and squinting hoping to see their name.

I am kind of shy that way.

Again thanks and hope I will have more friends to meet next year!
thelionking

Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Postby jkisha » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:58 am

It's hard enough for people to attend even one meet-n-greet, let alone two. And "open and welcoming" is fine...for eplayans and friends, NOT THE GENERAL POPULATION OF BURNING MAN.

Our camp is open and welcoming to the entire population every day when we serve root beer floats. But we are not that welcoming when our camp holds it's PRIVATE potluck for camp members only.

I see NOTHING WRONG with making the eplaya potluck a private event for eplayans and their friends and family. We spent the better part of Six months planning for the potluck here and it was disappointing to see the food all being devoured by strangers before most of the eplayans even arrived.

My offer still stands, should the majority prefer a more private setting catering to the people that are remembers of the this online community.

ygmir wrote:probably my favorite MnG ever!!!!! met and interacted with so many wonderful folks..........
and, an event I look forward to, each year!!

Maybe, JK, have a "private party" at your camp? I'd do that, too. I totally get your point.
But, I do see what Doc is saying, about open and welcoming.
Nuthin wrong with two parties, IMHO, on different nights.
Last edited by jkisha on Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
JK
jkisha

Postby jkisha » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:59 am

Double post
Last edited by jkisha on Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
JK
jkisha

Postby ibdave » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:04 am

jkisha wrote:That is no excuse. Everybody does the things they find important. It just shows where the meet n greet is in your level of priorities. So stop with the bullshit and just own up to it.

ibdave wrote:

+100 8) 8) 8)

easy on the bullshit stuff JK... as it so happened I was asked to do perimeter for the core burn for a team that was shorthanded.. Yes, I had mNg but felt the need to help a team in need... maybe the edginess your having the past few days is the Playa-bounce??
8) 8) 8)

ibdave

Postby Simon of the Playa » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:57 am

we are so sorry we missed it, and kisha we were going to, however we got hung up at the gate and had to fix a will call ticket issue so it was physically impossible to be in two places at once...it was not because of lack of trying.

next year....

anyway, a belated hello to all who attended, i was going to bring kool-aid.
breathe deep, the playa is the dust of your ancestors

A gift for the Playa
Simon of the Playa

Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Postby AntiM » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:47 pm

All of the general population of BRC has the potential to be eplayans. I say we talk their fucking ears off.
These are not my fuckos.
AntiM

Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby Elorrum » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:58 pm

It was a highlight for me to be addressed by AntiM, in a group of eplayans, as "YOU FUCKOS!" It was lovely to meet so many of us.
What's the name of the act? The Aristocrats.
Elorrum

Postby junglesmacks » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:39 pm

Hey! Just walked in the door from the airport. Defaultia for yet another 51 weeks, here we go. Le sigh.

It was super great meeting all of you that were there.. Michelle and I had a great time. The last thing I remember was Misa's hot pepper vodka, Cheyenne's delicious honey mead and Bay Bridge Sue's tongue in my ear for an extended amount of time. We were trashed by 8:30 and made Thursday our "take it easy" night. It was pretty weird biking back across the playa with all the CORE effigies still on fire. I vaguely remember it..

Thanks so much Doc Pyro for the hosting! Great job as always. As far as the "exclusivity" of the event or trying to semi-guard the food, maybe next year the buffet area could be gently roped off with an "eplaya only please" sign and someone politely checking name tags? I dunno. I didn't have too much of an issue with it. I don't ever expect a freebie out there anyway, so whatever may come.. comes. It's all good..

Love.
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby JStep » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:24 pm

junglesmacks wrote: As far as the "exclusivity" of the event or trying to semi-guard the food, maybe next year the buffet area could be gently roped off with an "eplaya only please" sign and someone politely checking name tags? I dunno. I didn't have too much of an issue with it. I don't ever expect a freebie out there anyway, so whatever may come.. comes. It's all good..
Love.

I must agree. No need to change the structure of a camp's practices, just adjust. Angie and I attended a private VIP party at The Tribes for the One Mile Clock and they had it closed and marked "Private Clock Party Only" at the entrance. This flavor might not be to the taste of the BDC&WB folks. Maybe they could annex some side area for the gentle roping off? (Or the rough and sexy roping off??) Or move the party somewhere where some adjustment wouldn't interfere with the camp's normal practice?

JKisha and Doc, it's a doacracy, as they say... I think those couches could have made a great set of barriers... facing out from the the "blocked off" area they might appear as a warm and welcoming place to sit, rather than a blockade. Just an idea (compliments of Angie!)
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Postby waxpraxis » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:02 am

I tried to come, but got lost. :? Eventually I figured out I had written down the wrong address and had to find my way back to my camp for my lights. Oh well, hopefully I'll meet you all next year, glad to hear it was fun!
waxpraxis

Postby Trishntek » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:09 am

I simply appreciate the hospitality in general and meeting all who were there in particular. I was so busy talking to folks, I didn't even think about eating until mimzy and grai offered spam and ritz crackers. Honestly, besides whatever misa was pouring into her cleavage, I didn't even drink anything else!

It's about the people. The effort is greatly appreciated and I'm sure most ePlayans threw something down their necks. I'll treasure the conversations, hugs, personal gifts, ass grabs and random smootches n' licks much longer than whatever nourished my body that night.
RETROFROLIC, the place of Pink, Pain and Pleasure!
http://www.retrofrolic.com
Some call me Tnt,,,, works for me!
Trishntek

Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Retrofrolic!

Postby ygmir » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:16 am

Trishntek wrote:I simply appreciate the hospitality in general and meeting all who were there in particular. I was so busy talking to folks, I didn't even think about eating until mimzy and grai offered spam and ritz crackers. Honestly, besides whatever misa was pouring into her cleavage, I didn't even drink anything else!

It's about the people. The effort is greatly appreciated and I'm sure most ePlayans threw something down their necks. I'll treasure the conversations, hugs, personal gifts, ass grabs and random smootches n' licks much longer than whatever nourished my body that night.

+1
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby junglesmacks » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:21 am

*cough*cough*

This is really what I meant to say.. :wink:

Trishntek wrote:
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Postby Asherbeez » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:31 am

Non-eplayans or not, I had a wonderful time and was happy to finally meet a bunch of you! It's always fun to put faces to avatars.

Thanks again for hosting, Doc, and thanks to everyone that contributed something (whether it was food, drink, conversation, or body art) Oh and I had totally forgotten about Shambala's stamp until the next morning. I'm sure my giggling coming porta-potty elicited some odd looks my way.

Hope everyone has made it home okay!
Dancing is a state of mind and may not even involve movement at all.
~Simon of the Playa
Asherbeez

Burning Since: 2010

Postby The Bee » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:50 am

Apologies to all for being late. I missed the name tags and food. So I wolfed down my own potato-leek soup and enjoyed some ice-cream. I was perhaps mistaken for some general party-crashing rabble, but thanks for the ice-cream! Somebody was civil enough to introduce themselves, but I don't remember who. Sorry! I was feeling shy and not quite centered. I'll do better next time. Thanks Doc Pyro for hosting (and also thanks for the Sands Hotel discount!)
The Bee

Postby tamarakay » Fri Sep 16, 2011 4:55 am

The Bee wrote:Apologies to all for being late. I missed the name tags and food. So I wolfed down my own potato-leek soup and enjoyed some ice-cream. I was perhaps mistaken for some general party-crashing rabble, but thanks for the ice-cream! Somebody was civil enough to introduce themselves, but I don't remember who. Sorry! I was feeling shy and not quite centered. I'll do better next time. Thanks Doc Pyro for hosting (and also thanks for the Sands Hotel discount!)

Dang, i missed potato-leek soup! I love that stuff. The ice cream was a surprise treat. I know what you mean about the not quite centered too. My whole world was thrown off kilter. Still quite wobbly. I hope I met you, but most of the time I was running around grabbing trash and/or refilling drinks. Minxy brought cookies later that where wonderful on their own, but then devine when dribbled with ice cream soup. :D
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man Token

http://www.dyewithdignity.com
tamarakay

Camp Name: Dye with Dignity at BDC

Return to Experiences at Burning Man