Magnet, light bulb, on Art Pieces

A place to discuss all things involving power and lighting. Generator tips, alternative energy, lighting your camp/bike/art/self and more.

Magnet, light bulb, on Art Pieces

Postby pacifico » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:42 pm

Hi There,

I can't seem to find which Village/Camp puts these magnet lighty things on art pieces on the Playa, that they felt were not visable enough at night.

I want to make some of them and I don't know what the componets are. They seem simple enough, some kind of magnet battery, a small colored light with two wire prongs, cardboard and tape. We found several of them on my cousin's art piece. They were very cool and thank you to whoever put them on. Good addition....

Thanks for any help...
pacifico

Re: Magnet, light bulb, on Art Pieces

Postby Bounce530 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:44 pm

TomServo wrote:Pickles are cucumbers soaked in EVIL!
Bounce530

Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: BRC Guardian docking pad

Postby pacifico » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:28 pm

Yes, this is exactly what I wanted to know about. You Rock....!!
Thank you so much.... Many Blessings.....
pacifico

Postby CaverX » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:22 pm

What a great response to a harmless addition to your art.
I like led throwies, but they are at least slightly wasteful. At least the magnets and leds are reusable.
pacifico wrote:... Good addition....

Thanks for any help...
CaverX

Postby BBadger » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:22 am

You can make the throwies last longer if you add a component or two. Finger-lights can also be modified with a resistor to make them last longer (though be less bright), and a magnet taped to them as a pre-made throwie.

Still, make sure your throwies end up like the ones you found on your art project: found by the project owner. Otherwise the throwies will become MOOP as they fall off. I was quite dismayed that some of the blinky lights I had bought to stay lit at night had fallen off during the night, only to become MOOP that I'd never be able to find again. I'll remember to tape them together, or just use some better lights.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Postby illy dilly » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:16 pm

Ya know,
Someone in our camp found one of these as moop one night. Brought it back to camp and it was in my RV. I could not for the life of me figure out why the hell they would use magnetized batteries or put magnets on the batteries.

Now I get it!

I'll probably screw around with this as well. Seeing as how LEDs are cheap as shit on ebay, and CR2032 aren't too bad if you buy off brand ones in bulk.
How to get the magnets cheap is a mystery to me though.
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave
illy dilly

Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Postby waxpraxis » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:32 pm

A quick search found magnets4less.com - looks like you could get little button magnets for < $0.10 each if you buy in bulk.
waxpraxis

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:34 pm

I was shocked at the actual number of magnets I got in from American Science and Surplus "Mess-O-Magnets" but I think they aren't reliable on a these package deals if you have specifications that have to be met. For my purposes, fine.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby BBadger » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:49 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:I was shocked at the actual number of magnets I got in from American Science and Surplus "Mess-O-Magnets" but I think they aren't reliable on a these package deals if you have specifications that have to be met. For my purposes, fine.

You do get a bunch (2 pounds sheeeeot), but they're those regular iron magnets. For throwies those rare earth magnets are usually better because they're so small and strong. Too bad they corrode over time if the nickel plating is damaged. A cheap place for those (and virtually anything, like the batteries and LEDs) is DealExtreme.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.
BBadger

Burning Since: I'm not sure

Return to Power & Illumination