What do you think about selling "schwag?"

Share your views on the policies, philosophies, and spirit of Burning Man.

Is it cool to sell schwag?

Poll ended at Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:59 am

Yes
8%
No
65%
Depends on what the profits are for
27%

Total votes : 49

Re: What do you think about selling "schwag?"

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 12, 2011 7:52 pm

lazerfox wrote:Would I be allowed to provide tours of Terminal City for Schwag? :twisted:

It is well known that many of the citizens are at times...(how do I put this subtlely?)...corrupt. What schwag are we talking about and how much?
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

Winners never quilt, quilters never win...
theCryptofishist

Burning Since: 2017

Postby RedHeaven » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:54 pm

Buying BMan schwag is like buying a crystal or rock for yourself. Whats the point other than to appear cool to others? And who cares about that after high school? I need to be given a rock or crystal or FIND one myself or it just doesnt feel right.

And politically, its all sorts of wrong.
RedHeaven

Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche 4:30 and Dandelion Wine

Postby lazerfox » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:08 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
lazerfox wrote:Would I be allowed to provide tours of Terminal City for Schwag? :twisted:

It is well known that many of the citizens are at times...(how do I put this subtlely?)...corrupt. What schwag are we talking about and how much?

I guess that would depend on the type of tour 8)
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby curiousgnate » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:58 pm

I love my schwag, especially the necklace Savannah made for me! I wore it to a burner party yesterday, and everyone loved it. stickers go on my car, patches on my boy scout shirt.
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby Savannah » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:05 pm

Yaaaaaaaaaay. I love you N8. :D

Remember that day you laughed so hard you cried?!? (Maybe you don't). It was the funniest, best thing ever. There is a KILLER photo of you and Danny laughing.

I will have a total of three patches in a day or so. This is enough for me to get hold of a Girl Scout sash (I have a shirt!) and go to town.
Savannah

Burning Since: 2000

Postby curiousgnate » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:23 am

oh I remember! Amazing!
Creating Peace Through Anarchy Every Day!!! Stagger for life!
curiousgnate

Postby Snow » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:12 am

Someone, just yesterday, offered to buy any leftover Trojan Horse schwag. I thought it a very strange request.
"Art Is Not A Mirror, It Is A Hammer" - Jon Griersam
Snow

Postby JStep » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:06 am

He's just selling the info packet, I don't have a problem with it. Maybe he went with a partner and they have one they're keeping so they're selling the extra one. Maybe he went and TTITD just wasn't for him so there's no sentiment attached for him, it's just stuff with a dollar value. Either way he's just selling something that is worth less to him than what he can get for it monetarily, meh. More power to him, I don't care. If he were appropriating the name or logo and selling that, that would be a different story. What he's doing is no different than selling the ticket stubs and program from a historic ball game or political event at auction. No Burners were hurt in the making of this cash.
Last edited by JStep on Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~JStep
Nebraska Regional Contact
Tallgrass Burners - The Omaha and Nebraska Area Burning Man Regional Group
http://www.tallgrassburners.com
Email: nebraska [at] burningman.com
JStep

Burning Since: 2011

Postby lazerfox » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:24 am

I'm incredulous at the fact that he made $100.
"being the change we want to see "like Gandhi with glow sticks" ~ Caveat Magister
lazerfox

Postby This Woman » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:48 am

Holy shit! Last time I looked it was at $20. Perhaps some folks are messing with him.
The Liver's End ~ Where the locals go.
This Woman

Burning Since: 1995

Postby MyDearFriend » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:07 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
Packoderm wrote:By the way C.f.M., I chanced by Terminal City, and I was thinking of stopping by to say hello to you or leave a message saying hello, but I never got my nerve up. I thought it would be too awkward. So, this is my hello to you. Hello.

Oh dear god, are we that fucking scary?

Yes. Yes you are. I thought you meant to be. If it weren't for Foxfur I would never have made it past the corner... :oops:
Practice Love. Exercise Sex.

"When life seems dangerous and unmanageable, just remember that it is, and that you can't survive forever."
MyDearFriend

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp DREAD PIRATE BARBIE

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:37 pm

Okay, I know I can be a big snarky meanie on line...
But in the scales the major problem is that I"m not good with people and can't remember the faces from one meet'n'greet to the next. So next year, stop by Terminal City, or whereever I'm camped, say "hi" and watch that blank stare turn into an attempted recognition. The good news is that since I'm awkward with people, that if you actually want to talk to me, there's a good chance that I'll have time to sit down for a chat.

Honestly people, (oh crap, I hate when people say "people") I'm just a nerd who happens to have the talent of when I through out thousands of lines, a few hundred come back amusing.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby lazerfox » Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:51 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:
Packoderm wrote:By the way C.f.M., I chanced by Terminal City, and I was thinking of stopping by to say hello to you or leave a message saying hello, but I never got my nerve up. I thought it would be too awkward. So, this is my hello to you. Hello.

Yes. Yes you are. I thought you meant to be. If it weren't for Foxfur I would never have made it past the corner... :oops:

am I the only one who wasn't scared?? I think this proves there is something weird/strange about me? :twisted:
lazerfox

Postby theCryptofishist » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:39 pm

MyDearFriend wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:

lazerfox wrote:am I the only one who wasn't scared?? I think this proves there is something weird/strange about me? :twisted:

No, it proves you're sane. Okay, I suppose that's strange, but a good kind of strange.
Simon's real sig line?

Embrace the Sock

theCryptofishist

Postby lazerfox » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:12 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:No, it proves you're sane. Okay, I suppose that's strange, but a good kind of strange.

Strange is always good...and I suppose everyone is strange in their own way. The levels are want need be squared away from person to person, arggh
(we need a pirate smiley!!!!)
lazerfox

Postby Radical Self » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:04 pm

Great question! And an important one to our community. Our fellow burners have given some great answers thus far and have shown that they are people of principle. I 'popped my cherry' this year and have been fascinated by the Ten Principles and by the words of Larry Harvey, looking to them to answer all the questions like this that I have had about my participation in this community. Considering that this year's theme was Rites of Passage, I have turned this whole experience into a bit of a pseudo-religion. :) Honestly, though, I feel that this is a great way to live and what has really drawn me to this community. So here are some quotes from the Ten Principles and some words from Larry Harvey that will help us answer the question:

"We make the world real through actions that open the heart". -from the explanation of the Participation principle

"In order to preserve the spirit of gifting, our community seeks to create social environments that are unmediated by commercial sponsorships, transactions, or advertising... We resist the substitution of consumption for participatory experience." -from the explanation of the Decommodification principle

"You know, the first cities by and large were not devoted to commerce, they were ritual centers devoted to the sacred. If you wanted to critique consumerism, you'd call it 'simony,' which is an unhallowed trafficking in sacred things." - Larry Harvey

I think the big question is whether the cited eBay transaction was "hallowed" or "unhallowed".

As for the purchaser: Was he or she someone who went to Burning Man and did not get the schwag or lost it and wants to have a physical record of the memories? I would say that this is "hallowed". Or is this someone who is "substituting consumption for participatory experience"? Unhallowed, and the sort of thing we should be discouraging. Worse yet, is this someone who is purchasing this as memorabilia now and counting on increased valuation for future resale? Way unhallowed.

As for the seller: This is most likely someone who went to the event and therefore paid for the printing of those materials in the cost of the ticket, so it is his or her right to do so, while the ethics of doing so are dependent on intention. If it helps them pay for the ticket and thus their participation for next year, I could see this as hallowed. Selling a gift would be a whole different story, especially one that is a representation of Burning Man (like a patch or a sticker). Selling a gift would be a commercial transaction that betrays the trust of the community and would be disrespectful of the one giving the gift.

Further, I think we should be willing to say "no thank you" to the giving of a gift if we know we are not going to keep it as a concern for "Leaving No Trace". At the very least we should try to find someone else who would really appreciate such a gift. And the giver of the gift should understand the denial of a gift and not take it personally.

By the way, if anyone wants what I have left of this kit (map, book, stickers, and ticket), I will gladly send it to them. As a gift. Unconditionally free. Just please make sure that this is a "hallowed" transaction. :)
Radical Self

Postby Sail Man » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:06 pm

No. Hell no! FUCK NO!

Word's I also hate hearing my wife say :wink:
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact
Sail Man

Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Postby Bob » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:06 am

Ten Principles

Pretty much, you can substitute "blowjob" for every instance of "gift".
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby lemur » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:08 am

I will sell you 2010 pre event and during the event ice pogs. If you somehow get a time machine you'll have all the ice you want.

$250. paypal is OK

I will sell you a 2010 inner circle burn night laminate

$500

I will sell you a 2008 thru 2011 SET of Lamplighter Charms

$1000

I will sell you a Lamplighter coin, pictured below..

$1500

IMPORTANT EDIT: package deal, get them all for $2500.
Don't link to anything here!
lemur

Camp Name: Plug N Play Camp

Postby C.f.M. » Tue Sep 20, 2011 6:27 am

Final selling price was $102.50. I will be listing some stuff m'self. That's 1/5 of the damn plane ticket, if I go in 2012. Never too early to start getting it together.

Moonrise, you are way too kind, thank you for the compliments.

Robrob, pm your address.

Lazer, like you need to bribe for a tour! You got better than a tour, backstage, all-access pass to PWR. And, I mean, I like you so no bribe could accomplish that. :wink:
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby pinemom » Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:47 am

Wanna hear another fuckwad movement? Here in reno/tahoe Cl there were multiple ad's from Sept.1st on, 100.00 for a torn ticket and their EarlyEntry armband to get in...

WTF!!!!
Names pinemom, but my friends call me "Piney".
pinemom

Postby Foxfur » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:08 pm

They'll have to pry my 2011 inner circle burn night laminate from my cold dead paws.
That was given to me by a very dear new friend and I could never bring myself to sell it at any price.
I gifted a Booby Bar patch to my oldest friend and it was almost like giving away a child. She totally deserved it and is going to wear it with pride on her falconry vest as her hawk sends bunnies to the great briar patch beyond.
There is nothing that I could ever sell. The only way it ever leaves my posession is by gifting it or losing it.
I'm just a sentimental fool...
He's a mystery wrapped in a riddle, inside an enigma, painted in hot pants. - Savannah
Propane ToysImage
How to do it wrong:
Foxfur

Camp Name: 404 Village Not Found

Postby Minxy » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:47 pm

Foxfur wrote:They'll have to pry my 2011 inner circle burn night laminate from my cold dead paws.
That was given to me by a very dear new friend and I could never bring myself to sell it at any price.
I gifted a Booby Bar patch to my oldest friend and it was almost like giving away a child. She totally deserved it and is going to wear it with pride on her falconry vest as her hawk sends bunnies to the great briar patch beyond.
There is nothing that I could ever sell. The only way it ever leaves my posession is by gifting it or losing it.
I'm just a sentimental fool...

I don't think you're a sentimental fool. I think you just fucking get it.
"If I moop your head, I shall be very displeased." - Savannah
Minxy

Postby C.f.M. » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:28 am

Booby Bar had patches this year?
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby ygmir » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:48 am

YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan
ygmir

Camp Name: qqqq

Postby LanceThruster » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:23 pm

Bob wrote:Shit, I forgot -- you can buy my schwag here:

http://www.cafepress.com/everythingbob

Is it just me, or does the picture of Bob Stahl ("Staring Down Nixon) look as if it could be the bastard step-child of Larry Storch and Fred Willard?
"We are here to help each other get through this thing, whatever it is."
— Mark Vonnegut
LanceThruster

Postby LanceThruster » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:32 pm

LanceThruster wrote:
Bob wrote:Shit, I forgot -- you can buy my schwag here:

http://www.cafepress.com/everythingbob

Is it just me, or does the picture of Bob Stahl ("Staring Down Nixon) look as if it could be the bastard step-child of Larry Storch and Fred Willard?

For the record I love Bob's pic. It makes me smile every time I see it and it is both visually pleasant and disturbing somehow at the same time. For the life of me I can't explain why. Great picture and superb artistic reinterpretation.
— Mark Vonnegut
LanceThruster

Postby mdmf007 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:27 am

Cant buy a memory.
One of the Meanie Greenies (Figjam 2013)
mdmf007

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: ESD

Postby Ugly Dougly » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:36 am

Meh. "Free" means "do what you want with it".
"Gifting" something with conditions is not really gifting.
Please to visit PAGE TWO.
Ugly Dougly

Burning Since: 1996

Postby LanceThruster » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:45 pm

Ugly Dougly wrote:Meh. "Free" means "do what you want with it".
"Gifting" something with conditions is not really gifting.

I agree entirely. People at work will sometimes give me food they've made and then say that I am bound by whatever restrictions they want to impose. I tell them that once they give it to me, it is mine to do with as I wish. It sometimes pisses them off but it is important to stand firm on the concept. To do otherwise is just too much of a headache.
— Mark Vonnegut
LanceThruster

PreviousNext

Return to Politics & Philosophy