MOOP and the Future of the Burn.

Share your pictures and video. Tell us about the sights, sounds, and scents, as well as the rumors and truths found at Burning Man.

Re: MOOP and the Future of the Burn.

Postby gaminwench » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:40 pm

I like it!
A game show/quiz/something to keep the ticket buyers occupied while in the queue... educating them with principles, stuff you should know, suggested packing items...

Do it!!! ( i like the concept, but have no infrastructure/tech info to add...)

Fill the obvious need!!!
"I'm sorry, but just the thought of a non-controversial thread on ePlaya is controversial." jk
gaminwench

Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP

Postby Cheyenne » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:55 pm

I did my fair share of cleaning up other peoples mess...

I lost my LED bike light when I was cycling away from the horse on the tuesday night which I was a bit gutted about... but I was rewarded by mooping with the following

1 x full bottle of Sky Vodka
1 x beautiful hip flask full of single malt whiskey
1 x bag of green stuff

I donated the lot to others too...

It was my virgin burn and I picked up loads of other peoples shit - but to be honest, the OP reckons it was like Coachella?? Or the waste that is generated by other mainstream festivals is frankly bullshit... it doesn't come anywhere close

I was utterly disgusted by the amount of rubbish that was dumped off the side of the road from Gerlach to Reno however... what the fuck do these fuckwits hope to achieve by doing that? The BLM, I'm told, charge BM to pick up this shit along the road - thus potentially raising the cost of tickets next year...

Go Tigers!
Cheyenne

Postby Hoolie » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:13 am

jkisha wrote:LOL No!
Wouldn't have to even be a serious test. Just questions to challenge your knowledge and give you something to do to pass the time waiting in the que. Sort of like they have those questions on the screen at movie theaters to keep the wait for the movie interesting.
I would volunteer to help set up something like that.
theCryptofishist wrote:
jkisha wrote:Maybe their should be a test that needs to be taken and passed in order to even get into the cue to buy tickets?

What a nightmare it would be to administer. You volunteering?

I think it's a good idea, though not necessarily as a "waiting game." Tix continue on sale throughout the ensuing months without much wait (if any). Just make it a part of the checkout process. People are paying attention at that point, reading everything so they complete their sale properly. Somewhere in between entering your payment info and completing the sale, just add a few steps that have important info that is short and to the point, and the buyer must check off an "agree" box to go to the next page. This should not be difficult to implement.
Hoolie

Burning Since: 2000

Postby Drawingablank » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:49 am

Someone mentioned the survival guide earlier in this thread and while some folks will never read it regardless, two of our 3 sg's arrived after we left for the burn and were in our mailbox when we returned to default home yesterday.

Had we only bought 2 tickets we would never have gotten a copy before the event.

In our case it didn't matter since we had read it online long before the hard copy guide arrived, but for those who don't haunt eplaya and will actually read it perhaps getting them out a bit sooner would help.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide
Drawingablank

Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby C.f.M. » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:56 am

I intend to photocopy pertinent sections of the guide concerning feathers and such, and hand them out directly to people violating the request of the event all week. At my regional, I can hand them back their coins, beads, sequins, feathers, etc. (though they were still fucking clueless with their cheery "oh, thanks!") but that's not quite feasible in BRC.
C.f.M.

Burning Since: 2009

Postby MyPlayaUserName » Mon Sep 12, 2011 2:07 am

Well I'm another one who noticed moop seemed to have increased 110%. I've never seen beer bottles strewn all over the playa before.
The worst thing is, I did my own share of unintentional mooping. I lost my favorite hat and by the time I realized, someone had already mooped it. Also my water canteen broke off my bike at some point. I felt terrible. I never would want to disrespect the playa!
MyPlayaUserName

Burning Since: 2007

Postby Bob » Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:25 am

MyPlayaUserName wrote:...unintentional mooping...

"Mooping" isn't littering, it's the pastime of walking very slowly, to identify and bag trash.

The important stuff is printed on the back of your ticket, which is a de facto contract with the company that puts on the art festival. The text of the survival guide is available online before print time.

But anybody can buy a ticket, apparently the company wouldn't have it any other way.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam
Bob

Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Postby junglesmacks » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:58 pm

Random fun fact of the day:

"Burning Man is a "leave no trace" event and under its permit with the BLM is barred from exceeding one square foot of debris -- also known MOOP, matter out of place -- per acre. The pentagon-shaped area that contains Black Rock City alone contains about 126 million square feet, or about 2,900 acres.

In 2009, for example, cleanup crews found 1,197 pieces of debris that, when placed next to each other, covered just 2.5 square feet -- that's a little more than a third of a square foot of debris per acre, far below the limit, Roegner said."

Source: http://www.rgj.com/article/20110827/EVE ... rs-by-2016
Savannah wrote:It sounds freaky & wrong, so you need to do it.
junglesmacks

Camp Name: Your mom's tent

Previous

Return to Experiences at Burning Man